An Easy Immunity Boosting Smoothie
Smoothies are on my weekly meal plan, even in cold weather. For me, they always feel more like a sweet treat than like the healthy meal they actually are. Bonus my kids love them, too! And, they have no idea how many super foods Im hiding right there in plain sight.
Of course, a cold refreshing, fruit smoothie tastes great on a warm day but dont count them out in the cold months. This immunity boosting smoothie is great to serve your family during cold and flu season.
Keep Your Immune System Strong
Making juices, smoothies, and nutritional drinks is one of the tastier ways to stay healthy. No matter which one you like, you can always add other superfoods such as chia seeds and wheat germ for more health benefits.
Other ways to keep your immune system strong include practicing good hygiene, staying hydrated, sleeping well, reducing stress, and exercising frequently.
Use a blender
Try Our Favorite Nutrition Boosters
Enhance any smoothie with some additional nutritious ingredients to really make it your own. Dont be afraid to experiment a little! Here are a few suggestions that you can add to this immune boosting smoothie:
- Matcha: if youre a green tea lover, you can add a teaspoon of matcha to your smoothie for green color, antioxidants and earthy flavor. Its so good!
- Flaxseed meal: this is one of my favorite ingredients to add to smoothies for a little boost of fiber and minerals, and is especially great for nursing mamas as flaxseed can help increase milk supply. Usually, a tablespoon is plenty! Heres a brand I love.
- Chia seeds: feel free to add in a tablespoon of chia seeds to your smoothie for a boost of healthy fats and fiber.
- Hemp seeds: if youve been wondering what to do with those hemp seeds lurking in your cupboard, feel free to throw in a tablespoon into your smoothie for a boost of healthy fats, omegas and minerals.
- Protein: make this a post-workout smoothie and boost the protein by adding 1/2 cup greek yogurt or 1 scoop of your favorite protein powder. I recommend Vital Protein collagen peptides or Four Sigmatic Protein Powder.
Also Check: Smoothie King Benefits
Ingredient And Flavor Combo Ideas
To cover those top 3 vitamins youll want to ensure you add in some of the below ingredient ideas:
Vitamin C oranges, chili peppers, sweet yellow peppers, guava, mustard greens, spinach, kale, kiwi, broccoli, lemons, papaya, pineapple, mango and strawberries.
Vitamin B6 chickpeas, bananas, squash, spinach, tofu, watermelon, and nuts.
Vitamin E wheatgerm oil, sunflower seeds or oil, almonds, peanuts, peanut butter, spinach, collard greens, beet greens, leafy greens in general, pumpkin, mango, and avocado.
Other vitamins that can be helpful too:
Vitamin a: mango, carrot, spinach, sweet potato, broccoli
Zinc: mushrooms, spinach, broccoli, kale, chickpeas, lentils, black beans, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, pinenuts, peanuts, pecans, and cashews
Also, vitamin d is good, but most of it is not vegan unless you have fortified orange juice or soy milk.
The good news is, many of these will go really well together! Other than the recipe I give here, here are a couple of simple combination ideas for you to try:
- Orange, Mango, and Banana
- Chili pepper, Papaya, Kiwi, and Mango
- Watermelon, Mint, and Lime
Poultry And Lean Meats
Foods high in protein, such as lean meats and poultry, are high in zinc a mineral that increases the production of white blood cells and T-cells, which fight infection. Other great sources of zinc are oysters, nuts, fortified cereal, and beans.
Kid-friendly serving idea: Simmer some chicken vegetable soup or minestrone soup for a hearty dose of immune system-boosting antioxidants.
Don’t Miss: Smoothie King Recipes Berry Punch
Smoothie Ingredients That Have Calming Effects
Berries, citrus, spinach, and yogurt
As I mentioned above, smoothies should have a healthy blend of fruits, vegetables and protein. In each of the smoothie ingredients listed above, milk and/or yogurt was mentioned as an ingredient that provides multiple nutritional benefits. So, in the Immune Boosting Smoothies I am going to share with you, they will each have milk and/or yogurt.
Immune Boosting Smoothie Ingredients
The key ingredients in these immune boosting smoothies include:
- Fresh ginger: ginger has powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative properties. It’s also an effective remedy for indigestion, making it a fantastic ingredient to add to your daily smoothie.
- Turmeric: curcumin, the active compound found in turmeric, has several impressive benefits and has been used as a natural remedy for centuries.
- Citrus: each of these smoothies contains at least one form of citrus, including lemon, grapefruit, orange and clementine.
- Yogurt: look for a nondairy yogurt that has little added sugar and specifically notes live probiotics on the label. Probiotics are essential for a healthy gut and a healthy immune system!
Don’t Miss: Smoothie King Center Concerts 2021
Are Smoothies Good When Sick
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics states that while there are no guaranteed smoothies that will cure an illness, helping support your immune system with nutrient-dense foods cant hurt.
Vitamin C alone wont cure a viral illness, but it will give your body the tools it needs to be able to battle it out. Same with the other vitamins I discuss below, there is no cure-all smoothie or drink.
But it is important to make sure you feed your body the nutrients it needs to be able to work at its best level. Smoothies are definitely a great way to do just that!
Paleo Yogurt And Granola Smoothie
When it comes to plant-based yogurt, we tend to prefer coconut yogurt for smoothies because of its super creamy texture and mild tang that blends well with the other ingredients. However, unlike cow’s milk yogurt, plant-based yogurts tends to be lower in protein, so if you’re looking for this smoothie to fill you up and power you through the morning until lunchtime, we recommend adding a spoonful of paleo protein powder to the blender.
Get our recipe for Paleo Yogurt and Granola Smoothies.
Recommended Reading: Mango Pineapple Smoothie Mcdonalds Calories Large
Chocolate Tofu Smoothie With Reishi Mushroom
Don’t miss an opportunity to boost your tofu smoothie with some adaptogens. We’ve used reishi here for added immune support and sleep cycle regulation, but you can swap it out for an adaptogen of your choicelike a lion’s mane mushroom supplement for cognitive function or a cordyceps supplement for physical stamina .
Raspberry & Peach Swirled Smoothie
Turmeric is the perfect ingredient for boosting your immune system, and it’s in this smoothie recipe! This two-layer paleo fruit smoothie is almost too pretty to drink. By basically making two distinct recipesa vibrant yellow smoothie featuring peaches and turmeric, and a pink smoothie with beets and cherriesyou get two distinct, delicious layers, as well as an Instagram-worthy healthy breakfast.
Get our recipe for Raspberry & Peach Swirled Smoothies.
You May Like: Vegan Smoothie Smoothie King
How To Make A Smoothie
1. Load: Add all of your ingredients to a high powered blender in the order they are listed above.
2. Blend: Process everything until its completely blended.
3. Test: Give it a little taste to test for sweetness. Adjust accordingly. If youre looking for a thicker smoothie, blend in more ice to make it thicker.
4. Serve: Pour your immunity boosting smoothie into your favorite glass or tumbler, insert a steel straw and garnish with fresh orange wedges. Enjoy!
The Ultimate Smoothie Bowl Recipes
If you havent hopped on the smoothie bowl bandwagon nows the time. These bowls of goodness turn your average smoothie into a refreshing, vibrant, and colorful meal with room for topping creativity! Choose a base from your favorite smoothie blends, then top it off with nuts, seeds, superfoods, and extra fruit.
- Acai Bowl: This quintessential smoothie bowl is packed with antioxidants and tastes amazing with an array of berries and crunchy toppings.
- Dark Cherry Smoothie Bowl: Come cherry season, this bowl is a must. Its a blend of cherries, banana, coconut water, and topped with cacao nibs and coconut flakes for an indulgent treat.
- Mango Smoothie Bowl: Tropical flavors and sunny vibes are front and center in this recipe. Top it with extra fruit and a sprinkle of granola for added crunch.
- Clean Green Smoothie Bowl: For a veggie-packed meal with a bunch of sneaky greens, look no further than this recipethe ultimate green smoothie bowl.
- Pitaya Smoothie Bowl: Want to feel like youre on vacation in Bali? Pitaya makes for a vibrant smoothie bowl, especially when topped with additional fruits.
If you make any of these delicious smoothie recipes, let me know how it turned out! Id love to hear what you think in the comments below.
Read Also: Keto Champ Berry Net Carbs
Other Benefits Of Ginger
Overall, ginger is fantastic for more than just your immune system. It has been shown to have many other positive impacts
Weight loss: Ginger has been shown in some studies to have a significant impact when it comes to reducing weight. It increases weight loss, reduces
hunger, and helps the body to increase the thermic effect of foods.
Nausea and digestion: Its a common treatment for stomach issues and is well known for reducing bloating and aiding with digestion. The reason that its so good for digestive issues seems to be because of its ability to help food move through the system. Its often used as a natural treatment for pregnant women who are trying to get rid of pregnancy-related nausea. Overall, it can help improve indigestion, , and reduce intestinal cramping.
Blood sugar: Some studies show that ginger can significantly reduce blood sugar levels and even improve hemoglobin A1c production. Hemoglobin A1c is important because it is a good long-term marker of blood sugar control.
Immunity Boosting Smoothie Ingredients
In addition to maintaining a balanced daily diet, you can include some immune system boosters in your smoothies. While nothing is guaranteed, you can include these ingredients in your smoothies and expect to see positive results. Many of these have research to back up their benefits, but in some cases, experts would like to see more rigorous study for absolute proof that they help your immune system function better.
Probiotics:Probiotic is the term used for bacteria that are good for you. These are the little critters that live in your gastrointestinal tract and help you digest food. It is a symbiotic relationship. Research is just beginning to show that these helpful bacteria also work to improve your immune system. More specifically, taking a probiotic supplement has been shown to boost the immune system of participants in research and to reduce symptoms associated with autoimmune diseases and allergies. You can find probiotic supplements in any health food store and you can also eat yogurt or kefir with live and active cultures to get probiotics. See my kefir, yogurt, and fermented beverage smoothie category for recipes.
You May Like: Clovis Farms Organic Super Smoothie Recipe
Why We Love These Immune Boosting Smoothies
Smoothies are my go-to breakfast, but I find smoothie bowls to be far more satisfying. With the option to add just about any topping, they’ll keep you full for much longer!
As we head into winter, we could all use a bit of immune boosting. These 3 recipes feature a plethora of antioxidant-rich, immune-boosting ingredients to help you stay in tip-top shape!
The smoothies include: Pineapple Turmeric Ginger , Citrus Berry Ginger and Citrus Carrot . There’s a little something for everyone, and you can switch up the smoothies throughout the week to keep things fresh.
Healthy Citrus Smoothie Ingredients
I LOVE this particular smoothie recipe because it can be made the night before and refrigerated until the next morning. I pour about two cups into these plastic freezer jars, making them a simple grab-and-go breakfast option.
My kids are CRAZY about them! And I love that each ingredient plays a role in keeping your immune system healthy:
Oranges Oranges are known for providing plenty of Vitamin C. I used two whole peeled navel oranges in this recipe for extra fiber. You can actually throw in whole unpeeled oranges for even more health benefits, but I really only recommend doing so if youre using organic oranges.
Mango Did you know that mangos actually contain twice the daily recommended value of Vitamin C? They add natural sweetness to this smoothie, so you wont find any added sugar in this recipe. I pick up the big bags of frozen mango chunks at Costco. Theyre great for a healthy snack option, too!
Bananas I almost always add a frozen banana to my smoothies because they make them so deliciously creamy. Theyre also great for extra energy and high in potassium , making them ideal for active kids.
Unsweetened Almond or Coconut Milk Every smoothie needs some liquid for blending, and refrigerated almond or coconut milk are both good choices for adding some plant-based protein. Choose your favorite, just make sure to pick up the unsweetened variety. Im loving this toasted coconut almond milk lately, its the best of both!
Read Also: Smoothie King Concert Seating Chart
How To Meal Prep Healthy Smoothies
Smoothies are a meal prep star! Its so easy to measure out and chop your ingredients, then place them in a zip top freezer bag. Pop the bag into the freezer and then pull it out the morning you want to use it, dump directly into the blender and get it combined. Youll be enjoying your smoothie in no time at all. I love that this avoids lugging out my cutting board and chopping all the fruit on a busy weekday morning. Before I load up my freezer bag, I label it and include the steps, too.
If youve already made your smoothie but you have leftovers you can pour the leftover smoothie into ice cube trays and put it into the freezer. Then simply pop your cubes out and lightly blend before serving.
Health Benefits Of Yogurt
- Yogurt is high in calcium which promotes bone and teeth health.
- Yogurt is an excellent source of B vitamins.
- Yogurt is commonly fortified with vitamin D which also supports immune system health.
- Yogurt provides almost every nutrient your body needs!
Ready to get blending? Here is my first Immune Boosting Smoothie!
You May Like: Smoothie King Interview Questions
Super Easy Fruit Smoothie Recipes
Oh yes, fruit combinations are endless in smoothies! And that makes it all the more fun to experiment with new flavors and vibrant colors. Just remember to make the most of whats in season. Stock up on mangos in the summer and persimmons in the winter. Then blend those with year round fruits such as bananas or apples to create easy, tasty, and refreshing options.
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie: This is a classic combo that never fails and can be enjoyed all year round!
- Mango Smoothie: Mangos are blended with bananas and milk for a sweet and creamy summertime recipe.
- Mandarin Breakfast Smoothie: This creamsicle dream is brimming with Vitamin C, and plenty of power ingredients to kickstart your morning!
- Strawberry Acai Smoothie: If youve got frozen acai packs, blend them with strawberries and bananas to create a vitamin-packed smoothie.
- Peach Breakfast Smoothie: Enjoy the best of peach season with a breakfast smoothie full of creamy yogurt, chia seeds, and a few easy spices.
- Almond Orange Smoothie: Oranges, bananas, almond butter, and vanilla beans make for a simple smoothie thats packed with flavor and nutrients. Bonus, it tastes like an Orange Julius!
- Post Workout Green Smoothie: Try this easy combo of spinach, apples, bananas, avocado, and protein powder to complete your workout routine.
Strawberries And Cream Smoothie
Looking for a smoothie that tastes like dessert? This strawberry one is also paleo, so you can indulge in it when the sweet cravings hit and you’re desperate for a naturally sweet paleo treat. Roasting strawberries in a bit of coconut sugar brings out their flavor so intensely that they taste more like strawberry candy than fruit. Blend them up with coconut water and frozen cashew milk, and you’ve got yourself a smoothie that’s more or less a strawberry milkshake. It can double as a paleo breakfast and paleo dessert.
Get our recipe for Strawberries and Cream Smoothies.
Yummy Immune Boosting Smoothie Recipes
Smoothies offer an amazing way to boost your immune system and replenish important vitamins. Stress, lack of sleep, and poor diet are major causes of a weakened immune system in modern society.
Rather than taking a bunch of medicine after you get sick, a better long-term preventative approach is blending specific whole foods that have high levels of nutrients and minerals which strengthen your immune system.
Immune Boosting Smoothie Recipes
Immune boosting ingredients: raspberries & blueberries!
Immune boosting ingredients: lemon, spinach, kale, spinach & ginger!
Immune boosting ingredients: chocolate !
Immune boosting ingredients: pineapple & greens!
Immune boosting ingredients: lots and lots of berries!
Immune boosting ingredients: spirulina & greens!
Immune boosting ingredients: greens & apples!
Immune boosting ingredients: strawberries & chocolate!
Don’t Miss: Smoothie King Center Seating Capacity
Whats In This Green Smoothie
Lets run down our smoothie benefits. This green smoothie is a far cry from tasting anything like the mega doses of greens and vitamins in it because of the natural sweetness of the fruit weve added to our blend.
I used both kale and spinach in this recipe for a mega doses of vitamin C. They provide a powerful antioxidant punch, plus calcium, folate and fiber to help boost immunity and sometimes even fight off infection.
Next up: the sweet stuff. Vitamin C-packed mango, pineapple and kiwi give this smoothie its sweet slurp. Mango has even been shown to protect against cancer and may help lower cholesterol. An extra squeeze of purifying lemon juice adds a fresh, bright squeeze, too.
To help ward against cold bugs even more, I added fresh ginger to the mix. Ginger has been proven to help with nausea, pain and inflammation. All the extras that come with a cold and general malaise.
Every smoothie needs a liquid and Almond Breeze Original Almondmilkdoes the best job here. I always have a box or two of the shelf stable Almondmilk in my pantry so that smoothie making is always an easy option.