Why You Should Make This Strawberry Smoothie
Ive made a version of this easy smoothie recipe more times than I can count. Its perfect on its own and is the best base recipe for adding more ingredients.
Here are a few more reasons we love it:
- You need less than 5 minutes to make it.
- You can use fresh or frozen fruit. In fact, frozen strawberries make the smoothie extra creamy.
- Its easy to adapt to what you have in the kitchen.
- This smoothie is perfect for breakfast or a snack.
- Kids love it!
- You can make the smoothie ahead of time, freeze it, and save for later. Details below.
What Leafy Greens Should I Use
If youre new to green smoothies, I recommend starting with baby spinach. It has the mildest flavor of all the leafy greens, which means you wont be able to taste it at all. But if you want to branch out and get some different vitamins and nutrients into your smoothie, you can also try kale , collard greens, or even Swiss chard. Just make sure you have a good blender to really power through any of those tougher greens.
The Best Banana Oatmeal Smoothie
Even though I share a lot of dessert recipes, and most are brimming with calories, I do try to eat healthy, and watch my weight. Sometimes I watch it go up and sometimes I watch it go down! Anyway, to keep things in check, I try to drink a healthy smoothie every day, either for breakfast or lunch. This banana oatmeal smoothie is my absolute favorite, and is so easy to make.
I had been making this banana oatmeal smoothie recipe for a few weeks, and loving it, when I decided to try it with frozen bananas. Oh my gosh. The frozen bananas took it from really good to absolutely amazing. They make the smoothie thicker, and there is no need to use the ice cubes.
How to Freeze Bananas:
The almond milk I use for this banana oatmeal smoothie recipe is Silk Unsweetened with 30 calories per cup. Even though Im not a fan of almond milk to drink or on my cereal, I love it in this banana oatmeal smoothie. This is the perfect smoothie for weight loss, but if you arent using it that way, just use whatever kind of milk you like best. You can use any kind of oatmealinstant or regular rolled oats. Its important to blend the smoothie for at least a minute in order to nicely grind up the oatmeal.
Even though Im not a smoothie expert, I know what I likeand I can honestly say that this is one of the best smoothie recipes I have ever made. Its fun to add different ingredients, and switch up the fruits. One thing I never change is the oatmeal ingredient.
Read Also: High Protein Smoothie For Weight Gain
How To Make A Protein Shake
Making a protein shake couldnt be easier and is one of my favorite ways to enjoy a filling, healthy, and fast breakfast. Just toss everything into the blender and blend until smooth. You can also freeze all your ingredients ahead of time to make it even quicker check out these fruit smoothie freezer packs to get started.
If youre looking for more ideas on how to make protein shakes taste better, check out the following yummy protein shake recipes:
How Long Can You Keep A Banana Smoothie In The Fridge
Generally, a smoothie will keep about 8-12 hours in the fridge. A quick smell will clue you into knowing if the smoothie is okay or not. If you do plan on storing a smoothie, store it in a container with an airtight lid. Youll want to fill that container to the very top to prevent trapping air in the container.
For this Banana Smoothie recipe, I recommend eating it all in one sitting, preferably right after making it. I dont find this smoothie sits or stores well. As the frozen banana melts, it changes the texture of this delicious drink.
Read Also: Live Pure Superfood Smoothie Cubes
How To Freeze Banana To Use In A Smoothie
So now you know you can use frozen bananas in your smoothie.
But whats the best way to freeze your bananas for your smoothie?
- Break or slice your banana up before putting it into the freezer. If your blender isnt high powered, putting a whole frozen banana straight in can lead to big chunks of banana instead of a smooth and creamy smoothie!
- If you have room, freeze the banana on a baking tray or baking paper for at least 30 minutes before putting into a storage container or freezer bag. This will minimise the sticking together of slices or pieces
- Use your frozen bananas up within 6 months. Over time, the taste and quality of a frozen fruit can decline. So its best to use your bananas up within 6 months
Can You Use Overripe Bananas
I dont know about you, but when I have overripe bananas on my counter, my first thought is that its time to make Coconut Flour Banana Bread.
If your bananas arent totally black and mushy, its fine to use them in smoothies.
Remember, the flavor of the banana will transfer to your smoothie, so you want to make sure the flavor of the bananas are still appealing to you. Bananas with lots of brown spots are perfect for smoothies, but if the skin is getting borderline-black in color, Id use them for baking instead.
Don’t Miss: Thrive Ready To Blend Smoothies
Strawberry Banana Smoothie Swaps And Substitutions
The great thing about smoothies is that you can add or switch out ingredients to make it your own. Here are some variations you can try:
- Make this smoothie dairy-free by using dairy-free yogurt and non-dairy milk such as almond or oat milk.
- You can leave out the yogurt all together.
- Use vanilla or strawberry yogurt for a sweeter smoothie. Alternatively, add up to 1 tablespoon of honey for added sweetness.
- Swap up to half of the milk for orange juice.
- Add up to 2 tablespoons of peanut or almond butter. Combined with the strawberries, it tastes like a PB& J smoothie.
- Add 2 teaspoons of chia seeds.
Healthy Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
This healthy peanut butter banana smoothie is high in protein and low in calories.
Weve even included a peanut butter protein powder to help you add an additional 21 grams of protein should you desire to make this peanut butter banana smoothie recipe a meal replacement drink.
This vegan smoothie with peanut butter and banana is low cost, easy to make, and so yummy Youll want to make it every day, and you can!
Try this banana peanut butter smoothie recipe for breakfast, or as a treat. Its creamy and delicious, and great for most diets.
This healthy peanut butter banana smoothie is high in protein and just 228 calories!
Recommended Reading: What To Eat With A Smoothie For Dinner
Can I Make A Green Smoothie With No Banana
You sure can! Try one of these:
- Make our greena colada smoothie without banana instead. It uses frozen pineapple in place of the banana.
- Replace the banana with a half cup of canned pears in juice and a handful of ice.
- Sub in about one cup of any other frozen fruit for the banana . You might need to adjust the sweetness by adding more honey or maple syrup depending on the sweetness. Be warned though: strawberries and spinach make a delicious combo, but your smoothie will be a not-pleasant grey color.
- To replace the creaminess of banana, try adding a bit of Greek yogurt!
Want To Share Your Healthy Smoothie Recipes Or Tips
yummy healthy smoothie
Want 135 energizing smoothie recipes all bundled into a convenient handbook? Check out my ebook, Smoothie Handbook for Health.
The contents of this website are based upon the opinions of DaNae Johnson. The contents are not meant to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. This website is for sharing knowledge and information from the research and experience of DaNae and should not be used as medical advice. DaNae encourages you to make your own health and nutrition decisions based upon your research and discussion with your own qualified professionals.
You May Like: Unflavored Protein Powder For Smoothies
Strawberry Banana Smoothie Ingredients
So you ask, how to make a strawberry banana smoothie? Its as simple as blending all the ingredients until smooth, then adding a little more milk as needed to reach a texture to your liking. Its that easy! Youll need:
- Strawberries: Fresh of frozen work here. You can also substitute blueberries or blackberries!
- Banana: Again, use fresh or frozen. I like to pre-chop and freeze soon-to-go-bad bananas and store them in my freezer for smoothies. It ensures I never throw away rotten bananas and makes smoothies instantly frostier!
- Milk: You can use cows or dairy-free milk . Alternatively, you can make these Strawberry Banana Smoothies without milk and use apple or orange juice instead.
For the best possible smoothie, make sure at least one of your fruits is frozen!
What Kind Of Blender Do I Need
This is one smoothie that you want to get really smooth. Nobody wants to sip on chunks of spinach or kale! So for a stellar green smoothie with a creamy texture, we recommend working with a high-powered blender. We recommend one of these:
- BUDGET: Ninja Professional BlenderIt rings in at less than $100, and is a powerful blender that can make smooth and creamy green smoothies. We used this one for years and loved it!
- SPLURGE: Vitamix Professional BlenderThis is the top-of-the-line choice, and the one we use in the Wholefully test kitchen. If you plan to make lots of smoothies and other blended recipes, you may want to consider a Vitamix if it is in your budget.
You May Like: Spinach Banana Smoothie Weight Loss
What Can I Use Instead Of Banana In A Smoothie
There are a couple of different ways you can make smoothies without bananas. Avocados will make your smoothie just as creamy- it will also give your smoothie a different color and taste profile. People still enjoy it, so try replacing the banana with avocado.
Another idea is to use more yogurt if you aren’t using bananas. Other people have used chia seeds to add fiber and the same banana-like texture to their smoothies!
Make This Smoothie Fresh
Drinks made with lots of fresh ingredients such as this smoothie is always best consumed as soon as possible.
You should be able to keep this smoothie in the fridge for roughly a day or two. I highly recommend making it as fresh as possible for the best results.
An excellent trick that you can do to make the smoothie last longer is to freeze it in ice cube trays. All you need to do is blend the ice cubes with some milk, and you will have a delicious drink ready in no time at all.
You May Like: Healthy Things To Put In Smoothies For Weight Loss
Ingredients In This Banana Smoothie:
- Banana I always keep frozen bananas in my freezer for just this occasion. AND frozen is definitely best in this recipe is it results in a much creamier smoothie! If all else fails though, an unfrozen banana will still totally work. You cna throw a few ice cubes in to give it a cold and creamy texture.
- Milk Ive been on a big oat milk kick lately but really any kind works here. You could also swap the milk for water if desired.
- Yogurt I like to use a plain, unflavored and unsweetened dairy-free yogurt but again, really anything works well here. You could even use a flavored yogurt as desired.
- Peanut Butter MOST often, I use a simple runny peanut butter when making this banana smoothie. However, you could also leave out the natural peanut butter and instead use peanut butter powder. Itll still have the delicious peanut butter taste but with less fat and calories ).
How To Make Banana Smoothie
1. First, peel and chop 3 large bananas. Add them to a blender.
Here I have used over ripened bananas. As they are overly sweet, you wont need to add any sweetener.
2. Add ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon powder and ½ cup lite coconut milk. You can swap cinnamon powder with ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract or add both.
For a more sweeter taste if you like add 1 to 2 tablespoons of your preferred sweetener.
Continue reading for more recipe variation suggestions!
3. Cover the jar and blend until smooth.
4. The smoothie should be perfectly smooth and creamy. Pour into two serving glasses.
5. Lastly, sprinkle on some toasted nuts and seeds. I sometimes also add chia seeds. This is optional but highly suggested to make the smoothie extra filling, nutritious and add a great bit of crunchiness.
Here I have used a mix of toasted sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, white sesame seeds and flax seeds. Feel free to add your favorite nuts or toasted seeds.
6. Serve banana smoothies immediately.
Don’t Miss: Easiest To Clean Smoothie Blender
My Strawberry Banana Smoothie Tips
- Dont use all frozen fruit. If you were to use both frozen strawberries and a frozen banana, youre likely to end up with a super thick texture more similar to my Strawberry Frozen Yogurt recipe. So instead, use fresh strawberries and a frozen banana. If you only have frozen strawberries, let them thaw before using.
- Dont add any sugar. Its crazy that some recipes call for a sweetener with a full fruit smoothie. Mother nature has given us plenty of sweetness in the strawberries and banana so theres no need to add extra sugar.
- Make it with dairy or dairy-free. You can make this strawberry banana smoothie with dairy or dairy-free/vegan. Ive got recipes for both homemade yogurt and a dairy-free coconut yogurt. You can also use regular milk or my cashew milk or any healthy store-bought dairy-free milk or yogurt options as well.
- Dont add ice. Using a frozen banana in the recipe keeps the drink cold, but it doesnt water it down. Adding ice to smoothies makes them watery pretty quickly.
How To Make Healthy Banana Smoothies With Peanut Butter:
Special Tip: You can find these directions, along with measurements, nutrition and more in the sharable recipe card in the next section!
Up next, a sharable recipe card for this healthy peanut butter smoothie recipe
Also Check: Why Use Almond Milk In Smoothies
Health Benefits Of Bananas
There are a ton of health benefits of eating bananas, making it a great fruit to include in your diet. They contain a ton of nutrients such as vitamin B, vitamin C, magnesium, and much more.
If you want to see how to make this banana yogurt smoothie, then be sure to check out the video below. It is super short and straight to the point. Alternatively, there is a written recipe that you can print out.
Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie Benefits
I often rely on Healthy Breakfast Smoothies to kick-start my day.
I bet youll also find it comforting knowing that youve made major progress with your requisite servings of fruits and veggies first thing in the A.M.
Or, if you are looking for a post-workout smoothie, this peanut butter banana version is one of my favorites.
Its a perfect option because banana smoothies like this recipe are good for you.
- Bananas are high in fiber, potassium, and vitamins B6 and C.
- Peanut butter has protein and healthy fats too .
Generally speaking, with the right ingredients a peanut butter smoothie can be good for weight loss. Smoothies with healthier foods like fruits, Greek yogurt, and peanut butter can be sufficiently filling with better nutrients than other breakfast options.
Also Check: What To Eat With A Smoothie For Breakfast
Heres A List Of My Top 3 Recommend Blenders:
After my 3rd $40 blender broke in the middle of making a smoothie, I got the Ninja Professional Countertop Blender. Its under $100 and I thought it worked great!
It crushed up the frozen fruit and blended in the greens no problem. My only complaint is I really didnt like all the blades in the blender. I thought it was hard to wash and, I was honestly scared Id lose a finger doing so.
Regardless, it was a good functional high-speed blender that worked great for smoothies.
This is another blender option for under $100. In full disclosure, Ive never used the NutriBullet but a couple of my close friends both bought one and they swear by it!
Theyve had it for years and they rave about how it blends all the frozen smoothie ingredients and greens into a nicely blended smoothie.
I upgraded and got the Vitamix Professional Series about 6 years ago and absolutely love it!
Its without a doubt an investment but its totally worth it in my opinion. You can get it for under or purchase it directly from their website.
Just to show how strong, reliable, and powerful this blender can be, Ive used it 3-5 days for 6 years straight and never had one issue with it. So, if youre going to be a serious smoothie drink, then investing in a Vitamix might be worth it. Also, Vitamix has a 7-year warranty which the other big-name blenders dont have.
So, they stand behind their product!
Here is my favorite breakfast smoothie recipe that doesnt include banana.
Banana Smoothie Recipe Variations
This smoothie recipe is so versatile. Here are a few different ways that you can customize it.
Strawberry You can add strawberries to this recipe or make our Strawberry Banana Smoothie recipe.
Yogurt Nonfat greek yogurt is a great way to add protein and richness to smoothies for a low amount of calories. You can substitute with dairy free yogurt or full fat yogurt. You can also skip the yogurt, but may need a little bit more milk.
Milk Any milk will work in this recipe. Almond, Dairy, or other non dairy milks will all work.
Protein Powder Protein powder isnt necessary but it is recommended for this recipe. The added protein will help keep you full, rather than this just being blended fruit . Any protein powder will work. We like this protein powder best.
Frozen Fruit You can substitute frozen fruit for fresh fruit. Substitute 1:1.
Other Add Ins Feel free to add in other nuts or seeds to this recipe. Chia or flax seeds would make a great addition!
Greens We love to add a handful of spinach or kale to this recipe. You cant taste it and its delicious. You can also try our Immunity Smoothie
Frozen Cauliflower: Frozen cauliflower is relatively tasteless and helps thicken smoothies. Its also a great way to add in sneaky veggies. 1/4 cup cauliflower rice will blend nicely in this recipe.
Read Also: Greek Yogurt Fruit Smoothie Recipe