Peanut Butter Cup Smoothie
The peanut butter cup smoothie is a rich concoction that tastes like a decadent dessert. Good news for you – it’s healthy for you! Mixed in with the oatmeal, bananas, and chia seeds is a hidden superfood – cauliflower! You won’t even be able to taste it, but you’ll still benefit from its nutrients and antioxidants.
How Do I Make Smoothies If I Dont Like Bananas
Lucky for you, we have an entire post of recipes to make a smoothie without banana. Try those recipes, or tweak any of the recipes below by:
- Subbing in 1/2 cup additional plain Greek yogurt , plus 1 tablespoon additional sweetener and a handful of ice cubes in place of the frozen banana in these recipes.
- Other options: canned pineapple, sweetened yogurt, canned pears. Adding half a ripe avocado can really help make up for the creaminess that bananas usually add, too.
Orange And Yogurt Smoothie
Heres a delicious smoothie that has enough variety and nutrients to be part of a balanced breakfast and sweet enough to be an afternoon snack. Oranges are loaded with vitamin C and the yogurt adds some protein and a substantial amount of calcium, important for bone health.
- One orange, peeled and separated into pieces
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
Read Also: Great Tasting Smoothies For Weight Loss
Add In Ideas To Make Your Smoothie Even Healthier
- Chia Seeds High in protein, antioxidants, omega-3, fiber, magnesium and potassium.
- Hemp Hearts High in protein, omega-3 and 6
- Flax Meal High in fiber, omega-3 and lignans
- Oats High in soluble fiber, iron, antioxidants. Also great for lowering cholesterol and low in fat.
- Almonds High in antioxidants and vitamin E. Can help lower harmful cholesterol.
- Spiralina Powder High in vitamin A and a natural source of chlorophyll.
- Matcha High in EGCG which is thought to promote heart health, brain health and weight loss. Also calms the mind and relaxes the body, among many other things.
- Turmeric High in anti-inflammatory properties. Also, increases antioxidant capacity of your body. Can be used fresh or in powder form.
- Ginger High in anti-inflammatory properties. Aids with nausea and upset stomach. Can be used fresh or in powder form.
Why Is Blending Fruit Bad
But when we blend or juice fruit, were breaking down the plant cell walls and exposing the natural sugars within. This effectively turns the sugars into free sugars, the type we are advised to cut back on. Free sugars may lead to dental decay, provide excess calories and cause a rapid rise in blood sugar levels.
Recommended Reading: What Do You Put In A Fruit Smoothie
Banana Strawberry Soy Smoothie
- 1/2 cup plain regular or nondairy yogurt
- 1 cup regular or nondairy milk
- 1/2 banana
Blend together until smooth. If youre looking for a thicker consistency, add a few ice cubes before blending.
Nutritionists’ Favorite Weight Loss Smoothies
For this selection, I asked the country’s top nutritionists to share with me their favorite weight loss smoothies, keeping the best weight loss foods in mind, and the results are all delicious and nutritious. Pay attention to the protein countsif it’s under 25 grams, you don’t want them as a meal replacement, but rather paired with a meal.
All recipes serve one unless otherwise indicated.
“I really love this weight loss smoothie because it tastes super-decadent, but in reality is just loaded with a ton of natural, unprocessed, and healthful ingredients. The cocoa powder is a good source of flavonoids that are both brain and heart-healthy, and also makes the smoothie taste like I’ve added a ton of chocolate. In addition to the healthy cocoa, this smoothie also has other healthy ingredients like raspberries that are a source of immune-boosting vitamin C, and the spinach that’s a source of energizing B vitamins. If I have this smoothie post-workout, I’ll also add a plant-based protein like sprouted rice or pea protein to help my muscles recover more quickly.”
- ½ banana
by Kristin Reisinger, MS, RD, CSSD, founder and owner of IronPlate Studios
- ½ cup frozen mixed berries
- Handful of spinach
- 8 oz unsweetened Silk almond milk
- 1 scoop plant-based vanilla protein powder
NUTRITION: 230 calories / 2.5 g fat / 20 g carbs / 5 g fiber / 7 g sugar / 26 g protein
by Cassie Bjork, RD, LD of Redefined Weight Loss
Are Smoothies Healthy Heres What The Experts Say
Smoothies have a health glow about them. Theyre often an integral part of cleanses, and theyre ubiquitous at health food stores and health-centric restaurants. And the smoothie trend is still going strong. Workout studios serve them up post-class, dietitians preach their powers and fit celebrities tout their nutritional prowess.
But are smoothies healthy? Heres what you should know about the drink, whether youre picking one up or making your own.
Healthy Fruit Smoothies All Under 300 Calories
Fruit smoothies are easy to make and they add so much good nutrition to your daily diet. But, it’s important to be mindful of the components. You should be sure you’re balancing protein, carbohydrate, and fat ingredients if you want to stay satisfied, longer.
Need some ideas for healthy smoothies? Here are some fruit smoothie combinations that come in under 300 calories each and taste great.
Also Check: Blueberry Smoothie Recipe With Almond Milk
Whats The Healthiest Way To Eat A Smoothie
When you are eating a fruit or vegetable in its whole original form, your body is breaking everything down itself, says Hammer. Digestion starts with the process of chewing, adds Andrews. Smoothies dont involve chewing. Essentially, the blender does the chewing for you, he says.
That means some people might notice that they feel a little bloated when they drink a smoothie quickly. Smoothies can have a lot of calories, Andrews says, and the more calorie-dense a beverage is, the longer it will stay in the stomach, he says. To help slow you down, Andrews suggests eating a smoothie with a spoon, like you would a whole-food meals.
Tropical Papaya Perfection Smoothie
This coconut-infused breakfast smoothie tastes just as decadent as a milkshake. One sip will immediately transport you to a tropical island.
Cut 1 papaya into chunks and blend it with 1 cup of fat-free, plain yogurt, 1/2 cup fresh pineapple chunks, 1/2 cup crushed ice, 1 tsp. coconut extract, and 1 tsp. ground flaxseed. Process the mixture for about 30 seconds, or until its smooth and frosty.
Nutrition :299 calories, 1.5 g fat, 13 g protein, 64 g carbs , 44 g sugars
Recommended Reading: Best Morning Smoothies For Weight Loss
What Do I Use To Sweeten A Smoothie
All of these smoothies here use frozen fruit as a base, which adds a nice baseline of sweetness that you can build on if your tastebuds would like. My recommendation is to blend up your smoothie without any added sweetener, then taste. Add in honey or maple syrup to taste. Many times, I dont need to add anything! Another great natural option for sweetening: pitted Medjool dates. Throw in one or two of those bad boys and let the blender do its thing. Youd be amazed at how sweet your smoothie will be!
Are You Looking For Even More Smoothies No Worries Weve Got You Covered:
- Clementine Avocado Smoothie. If youve never added avocado to your smoothie before, you are missing out! The flavor is so mild, that you cant taste it, but the texture is dreamy, creamy smooth, and the healthy added fats help keep your fuller longer.
- Cold Buster Smoothie. When youre feeling under the weather and your throat is sore, this smoothie for colds is soothing and nourishing.
- Coffee Smoothie. Get a jolt of caffeine and your breakfast all in one cup! This is packed full of coffee flavor.
- Persimmon Smoothie. Packed full of autumnal flavor, this spiced smoothie is creamy and sweet!
- Spinach and Pear Smoothie. Bright green and fresh in flavor, this smoothie is a perfect light breakfast.
- Sweet Potato Smoothie. Sweet potato in a smoothie? YUP! It tastes like a delicious pie. Youll love it!
- Apple Smoothie. This smoothie is packed full of healthy spinach, but tastes like apple pie!
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie. This pumpkin smoothie is perfect for the weather is still warm but your heart wants fall to show up.
- Dark Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie. This smoothie is rich and dark, and it tastes decadent enough you could sip on it for dessert!
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Smoothie. All the flavors of your favorite sandwich in a tasty smoothie! Pick your favorite jelly to add to this peanut butter smoothie.
- Tart Cherry and Spinach Smoothies. We show serving this cherry smoothie as a light breakfast in a bowl, but you could easily pour it in a glass and sip away!
Read Also: Raw Juice And Smoothie Bar
Healthy Smoothie Recipes To Try
Now that you know more about the different parts of smoothies, I’m thrilled to share 19 of my all-time favorite smoothie recipes with you! In this list, you’ll find everything from the really fruity ones to smoothies with coffee and others that taste like a chocolate shake.
One thing that’s for sure is that every smoothie on this list is good for you!
What Are Some Great Smoothie Recipes
Alright, now that youre fully versed on how to make a great smoothie, let me share with you some of our absolute favorite combos! Click on any image to jump over to that specific smoothie recipe.
Classic Simple Smoothies
These smoothies are a great place to start. No weird ingredients that you have to special order, just fresh, real food that you can find at any typical supermarket.
You May Like: Spinach And Banana Smoothie To Lose Weight
Chocolate Peanut Butter And Banana Shake
Youd never guess that a cup of spinach is hiding in this delicious chocolate and peanut butter shake.BLEND THIS:12 oz water, milk, or yogurt2 scoops chocolate flavored protein powder1 banana2 tbsp of natural peanut butter1 tbsp cacao nibs or dark cocoa powder585 calories, 59 g protein, 22 g fat, 38 g carbs, 8 g fiber
What Is The Best Mixer For Smoothies
The 10 Best Blenders for Smoothies , According to Healthy Foodies
Besides, what is the best personal blender for smoothies?
The Best Personal Blender
- Our pick. NutriBullet Pro 900. The best personal blender for most people. Powerful, easy to use, and convenient, this personal blender will save time in the morning so you can get on your way.
- Runner-up. Tribest PB-150. Great for small batches.
- Upgrade pick. Breville Boss To Go. For a silkier smoothie.
One may also ask, can I use a normal blender to make smoothies? By adding liquids first, your blender can better produce a vortex that will pull fruit and leafy greens into the blades and more easily blend your smoothie ingredients. Note that with a Blendtec or Vitamix blender, it’s mostly unnecessary to chop things up and saves you A TON of time.
Also know, what is the best blender for making smoothies with ice?
Top 5 Blenders for Ice
- Blendtec Total Blender The Monster that Will Crush any Frozen Ingredients.
- Vitamix Professional Series 750 Ideal for Frozen Fruits lovers.
- Oster Versa Pro Series Blender Affordable Blender for Crushing Ice.
- Oster Pro 1200 Blender Best Value Blender for Ice.
Can you put ice in the Nutribullet?
You May Like Also
You May Like: Beach Bum Tropical Smoothie Cafe
Savory Weight Loss Smoothies
A smoothie can be a lot of things: a pre- or post-workout boost, a cold and refreshing thirst quencher, a thick and creamy dessert, a perfectly balanced breakfast. But one thing most of us never think of when we think of smoothies: comfort food.
These recipes, from the book Zero Belly Smoothies, stake out a new territory in the smoothie landscape, a culinary point of departure into a taste realm you might not have considered. While these smoothies are still cold and refreshing, they’re going to taste more like a savory soup than a bright pick-me-up.
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 scoop plant-based plain protein powder
- 3 ice cubes
- Water to blend
NUTRITION: 232 calories / 2 g fat / 28 g carbs / 3.5 g fiber / 10 g sugar / 26 g protein
Orange Strawberry Squash Smoothie
This two-serving sipper is a delicious way to help you reach your daily fruit and veggie requirements. Like many smoothies, you could blend it into a drink or a smoothie bowl. If you want to make more of a meal out of it, add protein-rich enhancers, like protein powder or Greek yogurt.
This smoothie bowl packs 27 g of protein to power you through a long morning. Plus, wild blueberries are packed with antioxidants and fiber.
If a non-dairy smoothie is more your style, this one, with plant-based protein powder, makes a delicious and filling meal.
Cottage cheese provides the protein in this layered drink. Its made parfait-style so the smoothie and cottage cheese are kept separateperfect for days when you want to dig in with a spoon.
Recommended Reading: Easy Smoothie Recipes 3 Ingredients
Milk And Honey Smoothie
Make use of the celery in your produce drawer with this blended juice, which combines it with almond milk, cucumber, and grapes for a sip-worthy snack.
In a blender, combine 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk, 1 medium Kirby cucumber , 1 cup seedless green grapes, 2 medium stalks celery , and 1 Tbsp honey. Blend until the mixture is smooth, serves 2.
Nutrition : 124 calories, 2 g fat , 2 g protein, 26 g carbs , 21 g sugars
Blueberry And Spinach Superfood Green Smoothie
All-natural, vegan, low-calorie, and raw, this superfood smoothie is nutritious and delicious. Antioxidant-rich blueberries and iron-rich spinach will start your day off right. This drink doesn’t contain any sweeteners, but you can add a touch of honey or use fruit juice as the liquid if you like. Using a very ripe banana will naturally sweeten things up, too.
Don’t Miss: Cucumber Smoothie Recipes For Weight Loss
Berry Good Workout Smoothie
Get the energy you need to power through your workout in minutes with this easy-to-make smoothie recipe. For an extra dose of calcium, try adding a teaspoon of Organic Kale Powder.
What youll need: 1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries, 1 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup raspberries, 2 Tbsp. honey, 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice, and 1/2 cup ice cubes. Blend until smooth.
Nutrition :162 calories, 1 g fat, 2 g protein, 41.5 g carbs , 32 g sugars
What Ingredients Are In The Best Weight Loss Smoothies
Healthy smoothies for weight loss are made with the right blend of weight loss foods that are scientifically proven to decrease body fat. Some of the common ingredients we include in these smoothies for weight loss are:
- protein powder for weight loss: these powders are low in sugar or other sweeteners, low in calories, and rich in high-quality protein that, in combination with strength exercises, will help build metabolism-boosting muscle mass
- healthy fats: healthy fats like nut butters, avocado, and MCT oil will help to slow digestion to keep you fuller longer to prevent overeating
- fiber: consuming fiber-rich ingredients like chia seeds, flaxseeds, hemp seeds, leafy greens, and oats can help prevent spikes in blood sugar that can lead to the storage of carbs as fat
- low sugar: fruit is the base of all smoothies, and because fruit naturally contains sugar, there’s no need to add extra sweeteners like honey, orange juice, or frozen yogurt that only serve to add empty calories
Also Check: Best Smoothie Protein Powder For Weight Loss
Autoimmune Disease Healthy Journey:
Here is where I am going to get a little personal. I was a healthy and active girl when I got hit with an autoimmune disease that rocked my world. I visited the doctor and he performed an insane amount of blood tests to figure out what was going on with my body.
I was dealing with the debilitating effects of several autoimmune diseases — rheumatoid arthritis and Hashimoto’s thyroiditis diseases, among others.
I didn’t think I would be dealing with arthritis in my 30’s! My weight had even skyrocketed for no apparent reason .
After many blood tests confirmed I was dealing with several autoimmune issues, I was referred to both a rheumatologist and endocrinologist to deal with the effects of my immune system going haywire. The specialists wanted to put me on a host of medications to help with the swelling and inflammation, all with a list of negative side effects. I felt as if I was ALWAYS at the doctor. I didn’t want to just put on a band-aid.
I went home and my husband and I just sobbed together on the couch , afraid of what the future might hold. After a good cry, I felt determined to figure out what the ROOT cause of my health issues was. I started studying like crazy. I began driving around to every library in town, picking up stacks of health books, and researching everything I could about my disease. I became a full-on nerd!
Here are some of the healing vitamins, herbs and supplements that have helped me with my autoimmune diseases: