When Is A Good Time To Drink This 1000 Calorie Smoothie
This smoothie is a quick and easy, delicious option for breakfast. When you have places to be in a hurry, you can take it with you.
You can also drink this smoothie before a starting super intense workout! There should be enough energy provided to last you through the entirety of your rigorous workout routine. The protein can help in promoting muscle growth and promote recovery.
Another option is to consume the 1000 calorie smoothie after right after a workout. The protein powder in this smoothie should really help with muscle building if your workout involved a lot of strength training. If you want more ideas for high calorie shakes and smoothies, try our High Calorie Shakes E-Book.
Protein Power Green Smoothie Recipe
This is an excellent smoothie recipe for anyone looking to improve their diet. Its got a ton of super healthy foods, including cancer preventing foods like kale and cucumber. Its got a great ratio of fats, proteins, and carbs and is perfect for an athlete to drink. Theres a few very powerful sources of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
Every ingredient in this recipe will give you a boost of energy.
Other High Calorie Foods For Weight Gain
- Other nut and seed butters
- Full-fat coconut milk
- Heavy cream
- 6% Cottage cheese
I included a balance of macronutrients in this chocolate avocado smoothie recipe. Protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats are all represented here. The dates and milk are the main sources of carbs in this smoothie.
Some people find that sweetness helps with nausea or helps them to eat in general. If you dont mind the added sugars, here are some sugary options for increasing calories in smoothies:
- Ice cream
- Maple syrup
Most fruits and vegetables arent very high in calories . Banana, thickened applesauce or pear sauce, or potato flakes can add more body to a smoothie and more calories.
Here are a few more ideas for protein in a high calorie smoothie:
- Protein powder
- Peanut powder
- Cottage cheese
Depending on the strength of your blender or food processor, you could also use add-ins such as quinoa flakes and oatmeal. Make sure to balance your dry ingredients with enough liquid to make it a drinkable consistency.
What are some of your favorite high-energy smoothie additions? You can let me know by leaving a comment below.
You May Like: Overnight Smoothie For Weight Loss
Ingredients For The 1000 Calorie Smoothie
This smoothie needs only seven ingredients. Many of these ingredients contains loads of healthy nutrients, and they can be easily bought at a grocery store or delivered to your home.
Below are the ingredients you need:
- ½ cup frozen strawberries
- 2 scoops protein powder
- 1 1/2 cup almond milk
To make sure that this actually ends up with the full 1000 calories, it is best to stay away from any low-fat, no fat, and/or lower calorie variations of any of the ingredients. Otherwise, you will end up getting less calories than you had hoped.
Which Foods Have A Lot Of Protein
Meat and fish, eggs, dairy products like milk, cheese and yogurt, tofu, nuts and pulses are good sources of protein.
Tips to get more protein
Try to eat protein food at every meal, spread over the day, rather than only at one meal.
- Eat more hard and soft cheeses. Add them to food where possible.
- Use full-fat milk as a nutritious drink. Use it to also make smoothies and in cooking whenever possible.
- Add high-protein milk or yogurt to drinks, fruit and cereals.
- Add chopped hard-boiled eggs to salads, vegetables, casseroles. Avoid raw eggs.
- Add nuts, seeds and wheat-germ to your food. Add to casseroles, salads, breads, biscuits.
- Add chopped meat or fish to vegetables, salads, casseroles, soups, baked potatoes.
- Add hummus to sandwiches and salads or have with crackers.
- Eat more beans, lentils and peas. Add to soups and casseroles.
Recommended Reading: Smoothie King Coffee Drinks
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Smoothie
This smoothie recipe from A Mind Full Moms blog was inspired by the authors impressive calorie requirements as a result of her cystic fibrosis. However, many cancer patients also struggle to meet their daily calorie quota. This recipe is a delicious, simple way to make headway while ensuring vital nutrients are making up caloric intake.
Furthermore, this recipe offers the flexibility of using whole cows milk or substituting for coconut milk or a favorite nut milk for those with lactose sensitivities. Calling for chia seeds or flax seeds for added fiber, this recipe checks off a lot of boxes on many cancer patients lists!
Need some specific questions about your diet ? Feel free to drop a line to one of our physicians or other health care experts to find out if they are able to give you personalized advice. Were here to help!
Adding Extra Calories And Protein
- Uncooked oats are an excellent source of protein in smoothies. Grind 1/2 to 1 cup dry oats in the blender and then add the other ingredients.
- Tofu adds both protein and calories without changing the taste. Silken tofu works best.
- Pre-cooked and cooled grains such as rice, oatmeal and barley can be added for additional calories and protein.
- Peanut butter and other nut butters, such as almond or cashew, are great ways to add protein, calories and different flavors.
- Protein powder or milk powder can be added to boost protein.
- Ice cream can be a tasty way to add calories if your cholesterol isn’t too high.
- Yogurt, especially whole milk yogurt, can also add calories and protein.
Read Also: Cancer Fighting Smoothies Recipes
Banana Almond Butter Smoothie
This smoothie recipe from Real Simple Good combines four simple ingredients to create a delicious smoothie that is great as-is or that can easily be combined with your other favorite ingredients for a custom smoothie masterpiece. This recipe calls for bananas, which are a great source of fiber and potassium, as well as almond butter a great source of protein and fat when you arent feeling up to a steak dinner.
Rounded out with coconut milk and cinnamon, wed be surprised if this smoothie doesnt quickly become one of your favorites.
Expert Tips From A Dietitian
This is a level 3 recipe . Both low calorie and high calorie recipes can be healthiest, depending on your goals. I hope Ive shown you here how a smoothie with healthy ingredients can be a good choice for gaining weight.
When someone who is overweight tells me they primarily eat healthily, I believe them. It’s not too difficult to maintain a calorie excess by including a lot of the energy-dense healthy food choices. Focusing on these same foods can help someone who wants to gain weight.
One serving of this healthy smoothie has more calories than a decent-sized meal. Its a super avocado smoothie recipe for weight gain.
To bump the calories up even more, garnish the smoothie with the optional peanuts and whipped cream. You can also swap the 2% milk for whole milk.
One more thing: this smoothie is super thick! I recommend serving it with either a spoon or extra-wide smoothie straws. Ive linked to the straws I use in the equipment section above.
You May Like: Berry Punch Smoothie King Recipe
General Tips For Building Yourself Up
- Eat nutritious snacks and meals regularly during the day rather than 3 main meals eat every 3 hours / 4-6 times a day.
- Make the most of your appetite to eat nutritious, high-energy foods and drinks.
- Avoid diet or low-fat versions of food.
- Add fats and calories by using full-fat dairy products, oils and frying or roasting some foods.
- Ask your doctor or dietitian about build-up drinks.
- Try to plan ahead so you have the right foods at home.
It may seem strange to be told to eat more calories, but cancer and its treatment can put extra demands on your body. Eating a high-protein, high-energy diet can help you to maintain your energy, support your immune system, reduce the risk of complications such as infections and falls and help you recover from your treatment.
How To Make High Calorie Smoothies
If you think youre game for a chocolatey smoothie with peanut butter and avocado, lets do this. Freeze those slightly overripe avocados and break out the food processor. Well be snacking in no time!
Start this smoothie recipe by setting a small pot of water to boil. While the water heats up, pit and chop the Medjool dates. Pour a small amount of boiling water over the dates and let it sit for 10 minutes.
Put the dates and water into your food processor and blend it into a smooth date paste. You may need to scrape down the sides of the processor with a spatula several times if the dates are sticking to the sides.
Divide the smoothie into two tall glasses and top with whipped cream, chopped peanuts, and a maraschino cherry . Enjoy one of the best high-calorie peanut butter avocado weight gain smoothies around!
Note: As with many of my recipes, I made several versions of this avocado peanut butter smoothie before posting this recipe. An earlier version did not include the dark cocoa powder. The avocados turned the smoothie a pea-green color.
I liked the taste of this one. Unfortunately, my family really wasnt having it. The unique color of the smoothie, along with the avocado taste, was not working for them. Still, I thought Id mention it as an option for those who dislike chocolate.
Recommended Reading: Dr Oz 10 Day Detox Smoothie
Pomegranate Smoothie For Athletes
This smoothie is designed for athletes and pomegranate is the key ingredient. Pomegranate is called natures power fruit and has been in use as a healing agent for centuries.
Studies indicate that pomegranate may help prevent heart disease, high blood sugar levels, and breast and prostate cancer.
Along with pomegranate, this smoothie recipe includes spinach, flax-seed meal, and berries. These are all powerful foods which help prevent disease, including cancer.
Tips To Get More Protein And Calories:
- Switch from skim milk to whole milk, if youre struggling with weight loss
- Melt cheese on sandwiches, stir it into scrambled eggs or grate on top of soups, starches or meats
- Add cottage or ricotta cheese to fruits and vegetables, egg dishes or desserts
- Get an extra boost by mixing powdered milk into milkshakes and smoothies
- Spread peanut butter and other nutbased spreads on sandwiches, toast and vegetables or swirl them into shakes, smoothies, yogurt and soft ice cream
- Sprinkle nuts over cereal, salads, vegetables, pancakes or fruit as a crunchy topping
- Add chopped meat to salads, omelets and quiches
- Eat more beans and tofu. Hummus is high in protein and can be spread on breads and vegetables
- Use whole wheat pastas — and add cream sauces
- Mix legumes, lentils and beans into chicken or beef broth
- Cook vegetables and meats in olive oil
- Turn fruit into smoothies or sauces, such as apple sauce
Also consider drinking nutritional supplements, like Boost or Ensure. Several brands and flavors are available. They can be mixed with fruits, ice cream and syrups to make milkshakes. Generic versions are available and can be less expensive. Boost Very High Calorie, an ultra-high calorie supplement, is available in the U-M Rogel Cancer Center pharmacy.
Recommended Reading: Breville Vegetable Juicer
Quick Coconut Savory Smoothie
Here is another recipe for soft, high protein, high calorie comfort foods packed with nutrition. Eat these warm, at room temperature, or cold. You can also make a double batch and freeze the extra for later!
This recipe is a theme with variations listed below. Start with the base, then pick whatever combination youd like from our suggestions to make it your own!
1. Take a look at the flavor options listed in step 2. If you want a warm smoothie, warm the coconut milk for the base of your smoothie in the microwave or on the stove until it feels warm to the touch. Then add all of the base ingredients listed below to the blender.
Coconut Almond Spinach Smoothie
Green smoothies are always fun. People often look at you a little funny when you have one in your hands.
But once they give it a try, its hard to believe they even doubted you! Green smoothies are often packed with fresh, bright flavors.
In this case, the green smoothie is going to be creamy and a bit nutty in flavor. The almond milk develops the nutty base for the smoothie.
But ultimately, its the fiber-packed pumpkin seeds that will finish out the exceptional flavor and help you feel satisfied.
- Sugar: 37g
Also Check: Smoothie Detox Challenge
Try A Mildly Sweet Fruit
Add 1 cup of slightly sweet, fiber-rich fruit to promote digestive health and to balance multiple flavors:
- Banana. A good source of potassium for healthy blood pressure and electrolyte balance.
- Ripe pear. A good source of flavonols, which are heart-healthy antioxidant plant compounds.
- Mango. An excellent source of immune-boosting vitamins A and C.
Orange Coconut Protein Smoothie
This orange coconut smoothie is another great alternative to the traditional fruit smoothie. Its slightly sweet and tart with a nutty flavor as well.
Use fresh-squeezed orange juice, if you can. It will have the best flavor.
Plus, if youre squeezing fresh juice, your orange will be handy for the orange zest. That extra ingredient will really boost the flavor and tartness of the smoothie.
Keep in mind that this smoothie really packs in the calories. In fact, it has 770 calories per serving!
Therefore, it would be a great smoothie to have at the beginning of the day to boost your energy.
- Sugar: 53g
Read Also: Proti Vlc Smoothie Base Mix
Recipes For High Calorie Smoothies For Weight Gain
It is easy to make smoothies. And some general guidance for making smoothies include:
- Wash all the fruits and vegetable thoroughly.
- Once clean, cut ingredients to manageable size pieces and put into the blender.
- Blend to your desired consistency. More liquid may be added if required. Try frozen fruit for a thicker consistency.
- Remember to put in the soy milk last. Then enjoy your high-calorie smoothie!
Recipe 1: Yogurt, Banana, Flaxseed Oil and Protein Powder
Healthy Carrot Cake Smoothie
First, well start off with a pretty untraditional smoothie recipe. Im sure most of you think of fruit and berries when you think of smoothies.
But this isnt the case here. Instead, we will develop the delicious flavors of a rich, spicy carrot cake in smoothie-form.
Greek yogurt and almond milk create a smooth, creamy base for the smoothie. The fresh ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg will give you the traditional flavor you would find in a carrot cake.
Plus, being packed with a whole banana and a handful of walnuts means that it will definitely leave you feeling full and satisfied.
- 1/4 tsp fresh ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Sugar: 32g
Don’t Miss: Is Smoothie King Healthy
Protein And Energy Supplements
These products are powders or liquids. They contain either energy or protein with a small amount of energy. You can add them to many different foods and drinks. They are not nutritionally balanced and not suitable as a meal replacement. But they are helpful to boost either energy or protein levels.
When taking these products, you should still eat and drink normally if possible. These products can be expensive, so your doctor should prescribe them if you need them.
How To Store Extra Smoothie
The most obvious option to store your leftover smoothie is in the refrigerator. If you do this, you should finish it the same day. You will need to either re-blend with more liquid or stir in extra milk because the oats will expand and thicken your smoothie.
Another option for storage of your leftover 1000 calorie smoothie is the freezer. Although it will take longer to thaw, the smoothie should stay good for about a month. You could also make leftover smoothie into high calorie freezer pops as a cool treat for later.
You May Like: What Kind Of Protein Does Smoothie King Use
What Tastes Delicious With This 1000 Calorie Smoothie
Pairing up chocolate rice cakes with this 1000 calorie smoothie will make a pretty sweet combination. They are a good replacement for cookies and there will most likely be no sugar crash after consumption too.
Eating peanuts and dried cranberries while sipping on this smoothie is also a tasty combo. You get sweet and salty flavors along with a great source of protein that will help provide you with energy throughout the whole day.
Another food to enjoy with your 1000 calorie smoothie is edamame. They provide you with an extra crunch to your smoothie consumption. Mixing them with some chili powder and sea salt will definitely give you an extra punch to the taste.
Guacamole and carrots with this smoothie is a tasty and nutritious combo. Replacing chips with veggies lets you add extra fiber and nutrients to your snack. You can easily make guacamole from mini avocado packages and take your stuff on the road.
Rolling up any form of deli meat with whatever you want inside will definitely give you a nice salty flavor with your 1000 calorie smoothie. You can add more fiber and nutrients by putting vegetables inside of the meat.
Vitamin Fruit Smoothie Recipe
This is a sweet and fruity smoothie specifically designed by a nutritionist for its anti-cancer antioxidants. As mentioned previously, antioxidants are able to fight free radicals, which cause cell deformities. Scientists believe the free radicals may be one cause of cancer.
This smoothie recipe is fairly low in calories and should be easy to drink even if you dont have much of an appetite.
Recommended Reading: Smoothie King Arena Box Office