How To Make A Chocolate Banana Smoothie
Buzzing up this chocolatey treat is quick and easy, and youll be utterly famous with your kids when you make it. Here are a few tips for making it just right:
- Freeze your bananas ahead of time. The next time theres a bunch of brown bananas staring you down on your counter, go ahead and peel a few, break them in half, seal them in a zip-top bag, and freeze.
- Choose a natural, unsweetened cocoa powder. We like this brand.
- Adjust your sweetener. If you want to go totally free of added sugars in this smoothie, you can leave the honey out entirely. Really. Its still way sweet!
- Blend it well. Frozen bananas have a tendency to escape the blades in even high-powered blenders. Let yours run for an extra 20 seconds or so, so the smoothie is ultra smooth.
- Serve it right away. This smoothie shines when its frosty cold and well-blended. Enjoy it straight away after making it for the best taste and texture. If you do have leftover smoothie, itll keep in the fridge, but may separate after a few hours. A quick stir with a straw will restore a more even consistency.
- Top it with whipped cream. This is totally optional, but oh so fun.
How To Make It
Unlike baking recipes, for instance, smoothie recipes do not have to use exact measurements. You can adjust according to taste. The only difference in choosing between fresh or frozen fruit is how thick you want it to be. Frozen will make for a more milkshake-thick smoothie, whereas fresh will get thickened up slightly by the ice, but have a more liquidy texture. Or you can combine frozen and fresh fruit.
You can use any kind of soft fruit you want, such as berries, bananas, peeled peaches or nectarines, melons, even grapes, and puree, and know you can always add a bit more fruit or ice to thicken it or a bit more milk to thin it out.
Amp The Protein With Add
Want to add a little more protein to you chocolate banana smoothie? Here are our best recommendations, both plant-based and dairy protein:
- Peanut butter: What could a better pairing? Peanut butter goes hand in hand with chocolate and banana. It also adds a hit of plant-based protein. Try 1 to 2 tablespoons. Keep in mind that peanut butter increases the calories, but also makes this smoothie more filling.
- More Greek yogurt: Double the quantity of Greek yogurt in this recipe for an even more filling smoothie. This is great for breakfasts or post-workout snacks.
- Protein powder: You can always hide protein powder in smoothies! Typically we prefer not to over here because the flavor can leave an odd aftertaste. But this smoothie would be a good one to hide protein powder of any of our smoothie recipes since the chocolate can cover it.
Also Check: Smoothie King Arena Seating Chart
What Do I Need To Make A Chocolate Smoothie
Heres a quick-reference check list of the ingredients youll need to make this chocolate avocado smoothie:
- Unsweetened Almond Milk feel free to use your preferred dairy or plant-based milk.
- Plain Greek Yogurt Fage 2% or 5% plain Greek yogurt is my go-to Greek yogurt that I use in dozens of recipes!
- Frozen Banana I freeze my own, but you can also purchase frozen bananas in the frozen foods section.
- Avocado fresh or frozen chunks
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Chocolate Protein Powder
- Granular Monk Fruit or Stevia Sweetener I like both Whole Earth and Lakanto granular sweeteners.
For exact ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the post for the recipe. Thanks!
Expert Tips To Make A Perfect Smoothie
Making a perfect smoothie at home is super easy if you follow few tips. Here are few that I have gathered over years.
Use frozen fruit I always like to use frozen fruit for homemade smoothies and milkshakes. Adding frozen fruits makes the smoothie super thick as well as cold, meaning you can choose to not ice cubes.
Liquid base Any smoothie needs a liquid base which can be milk, yogurt or fruit juices or water. Yes you can use perfectly delicious smoothie with just water too.
Select milk depending on the fruits or vegetables. Almond milk goes well with berries, oats and coconut milk goes very well with tropical fruits like pineapple, mangoes.
I sometimes add orange juice, coconut water too depending upon the ingredients.
Ice cubes if you are using fresh fruits or vegetables then you will need some ice cubes to thicken the smoothie as well keep it cold.
You can even use fruit juice cubes instead of ice cubes.
Read Also: Smoothie King Arena Box Office
Can I Freeze A Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie Bowl
You can certainly freeze your smoothie bowl and thaw it in the fridge when you are ready to eat. However, my best recommendation is to prep the ingredients and freeze them in separate portions. When youre ready to make your smoothie bowl, simply empty the contents into the blender, add your milk of choice, and blend!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie Recipe
This dessert-like smoothie tastes like a Reeses peanut butter cup, but it is packed full of nourishing goodness!
You cant beat the classic combo of peanut butter and chocolate, and this smoothie is so thick and rich that it tastes like a milkshake! But unlike an ice cream-based shake, this smoothie is gluten-free, can be dairy-free, and is full of vitamins and minerals, making it perfectly suitable for a breakfast or snack.
Don’t Miss: Overnight Smoothie For Weight Loss
Topping Options For Your Chocolate Smoothie Recipe:
- Cacao nibs
- Chocolate chunks I especially love Lilys No Sugar Added Chocolate
- Sliced bananas
- Unsweetened Flake Coconut
Any or all of these toppings would make the perfect smoothie bowl. This chocolate avocado smoothie is thick enough to eat with a spoon, making it perfect as a smoothie bowl option.
Recipe Tips & Substitutions
- Look for frozen mango chunks in the freezer section of your local grocery store.
- To freeze your bananas, let them get ripe and spotted. Break them or slice them into chunks and freeze flat on a baking sheet. Then, transfer the frozen banana chunks to a ziptop bag for storage or use them right away.
- Feel free to get creative with your creamy smoothie bowl toppings! Some suggestions include: two tablespoons shredded coconut or coconut flakes, one tablespoon cacao nibs, two tablespoons granola, and/or half of a sliced ripe banana.
- You can cut this recipe in half to make one serving. Or, you can double it to make 4 servings.
- If you want to serve this smoothie bowl as a meal replacement, feel free to add 1-2 scoops of your favorite unsweetened protein powder to help increase the protein content. See my list of the best clean protein powders. Or, if you can tolerate soy, blend in a some soft or silken tofu to add more protein.
- If you want this to be a dessert smoothie bowl, feel free to add 1-2 tablespoons of maple syrup. Top it with a tablespoon of dairy-free chocolate chips!
- To make a green smoothie bowl, feel free to add 1-3 handfuls of baby spinach or baby kale.
- Smoothie bowls are best served right after they are made. Otherwise, they tend to melt and become more of a traditional smoothie texture.
Read Also: Side Effects Of Ice Chemotherapy
Other Healthy But Decadent Smoothies To Try
If you enjoyed this creamy chocolate milkshake-like smoothie you will certainly enjoy these smoothies as well!
Got a new Instant Pot?
Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie Bowl Ingredients
This recipe comes together with just a few simple ingredients! Heres what youll need to get blending:
- Bananas the true key to a thick and creamy smoothie bowl. Youll use 2 sliced-then-frozen bananas.
- Peanut Butter gives this smoothie bowl a luscious, nutty flavor, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter head into the blender next.
- Cocoa Powder 2 tablespoons cocoa powder adds the bold, chocolatey flavor to the mix.
- Protein Powder – 1 scoop of protein powder provides an extra boost of protein.
- Milk a ½ cup of milk provides just enough liquid for blending without taking away from the thickness of the smoothie bowl
Read Also: Smoothies For Depression And Anxiety
Healthy Chocolate Smoothie Recipe
The chocolate flavor really shines through, so as a chocolate lover, this is one of my all time favorite smoothie recipes. This is also a great way to get some fiber and healthy fats into your little one, with the added avocado. Dont worry, it wont taste like avocado. It just adds an extra creaminess to the smoothie.
This makes 2 servings, but sometimes we have some leftover. I add leftovers to popsicle molds, so I now have an easy, healthy snack on hand in the freezer. I like these popsicle molds! These make fantastic after school snacks.
Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie Bowl Faq
Is a smoothie bowl better than a smoothie?
It honestly comes down to personal preference and desire for portability. Both serve as potentials for consuming a wide variety of nutrients in one meal/drink. The benefit of a smoothie bowl is that you can play with different textures through the addition of toppings. Smoothie bowls are a great option if you prefer to eat out of a bowl with a spoon versus drink out of a glass, while smoothies are more portable and easier to consume on the go since you can drink them out of a straw.
Is banana and peanut butter a healthy breakfast?
Banana and peanut butter make for a solid choice for a healthy breakfast. Bananas are rich in soluble fiber and help support healthy digestion. They are a good source of potassium, vitamin C, magnesium, and antioxidants. Peanut butter provides healthy fats, carbs, and a bit of protein to start the day, so the combination of both makes for a rounded start to the day.
Are bananas healthy in smoothies?
Adding bananas to smoothies provides for a large variety of nutrients and antioxidants. With any fruit, you dont want to overdo it depending on how your body responds to sugars, but they are a great choice for adding volume and creaminess to the smoothie as well.
What makes a smoothie bowl thick?What are good toppings for smoothie bowls?
You May Like: Dr Oz 10 Day Detox Smoothie
Ingredients In The Best Chocolate Banana Smoothie
Theres not a lot to this chocolate banana smoothie. In fact, we developed it around ingredients we always have in our pantry and fridge. Heres what youll need to have on hand:
- Bananas: Heres the best part: no freezing necessary! You can use room temperature bananas. Youll just need lots of ice to get that perfect creamy texture.
- Greek yogurt: We love adding Greek yogurt to smoothies because its packed with protein, and it has probiotics for a healthy gut. You can skip this if youd like a vegan smoothie.
- Milk: You can use any type of milk here, dairy or non-dairy. Add more non-dairy milk for vegan.
- Cocoa powder: Heres what makes the chocolate, along with the sweetener.
- Maple syrup: Maple syrup is our sweetener of choice. You can also use honey or agave syrup.
- Ice: Add quite a bit of ice, and it all comes together into a smooth, chocolaty puree.
This Chocolate Hazelnut Smoothie Bowl Recipe Boosts Sleep
From the creative mind of recipe developer and food blogger Yumna Jawad, the creator of Feel Good Foodie, this smoothie bowl is a creamy and decadent creation that calls for just bananas, milk, hazelnut spread, and cocoa powder. It takes no more than five minutes to make, and will set you up for success whether youre fueling up for a busy day or winding down for bed.
For starters, registered dietitians say that bananas plus nut butter are the ideal brain-boosting breakfast duo, the MVP of pre-workout snacks, and the perfect bedtime snack pairing. A medium banana is nutrient-rich, providing 24 grams of carbohydrates14 of which are sugar, and three of which are fiber, Kelly Jones, MS, RD, previously told Well+Good. The fiber in bananas, along with the gram of protein, keeps the rest of the carbohydrate from being absorbed too rapidly, but there isnt so much that the food will sit in your stomach. This is why the pectin in bananas has been shown to help prevent constipation. And according to Tracey Lockwood Beckerman, MS, RD, bananas are also high in potassium and sleep-boosting magnesium, which can help your muscles relax, regulate your bodys fluid balance, and lower your risk of heart disease.
Don’t Miss: Blood Type O Breakfast Smoothie
Chocolate Smoothie Bowl Recipe
Do you like chocolate ice cream? Then youll LOVE this chocolate smoothie bowl! The best part is you get the smooth, decadence of ice cream without the extra added sugars, plus a bounty of vitamins, protein, and healthy fats. With just a few simple ingredients, this chocolate smoothie bowl is a breeze to whip together and the perfect way to start your day or add to your routine!
How To Make The Best Chocolate Smoothie
The reason this is my favorite smoothie is that it tastes like a chocolate milkshake. It doesnt taste like a healthy smoothie with a hint of banana in the background it has more of a chocolate milk flavor to it.
The key to getting a neutral sweetness in a smoothie is to use dates as the sweetener, instead of banana. When I was pregnant, I learned that eating dates regularly may help to improve your labor and delivery experience, but I have continued to eat them ever since!
Heres what I love about dates:
- They are a source of plant-based iron and potassium.
- They are high in fiber, and this study suggests that eating roughly 7 dates a day may help to lower the risk of colon cancer.
- Dates are high in antioxidants, and may help to lower inflammation and lower the risk for several diseases, including diabetes and certain cancers.
- They may help to improve brain health.
- This study in mice suggests that eating dates may help to improve memory and lower anxiety levels.
My favorite variety of date is Medjool, which tend to be bigger than other varieties. Look for dates that are squishy and moist-looking for the best results. Drier dates will be harder to blend, so you may want to soak them in water before getting started with this recipe.
Don’t Miss: Smoothing King Center Seating Chart
What Do I Use To Make A Chocolate Milkshake
There are many blenders you can use for making smoothies and milkshakes, but I personally own the Vitamix 780 and think it is simply the best. I get smooth, consistent results every single time which is exactly what I want for all my smoothies and is perfect for a milkshake like this where you want a smooth consistency! You can buy your own Vitamix 780 HERE.
Your Muscles Will Love This Smoothie
Lets take a closer look at each of the three ingredients that go into making this smoothie in order to see why theyre all such great choices. Starting with ½ cup of plain Greek yogurt, youll be adding a great tasting source of protein . Not only does adding Greek yogurt help to considerably ramp up the protein content of this recipe, but its also an excellent source of probiotics for giving your gut health a boost as well. Research has shown that probiotic intake has been linked with a better immune system response as well as improved metabolic processes. Greek yogurt also provides all of the same great nutrients that regular yogurt provides you, including vitamin B12, calcium, and potassium.
In order to further up the protein content of this recipe, youll also be adding in one scoop of chocolate whey protein powder. As Ive mentioned before, whenever I purchase whey protein, I always make sure to buy whey isolate. Its the purest form of whey available and its a complete protein source. You can get the exact brand of chocolate whey isolate that I use by its made by Isopure and provides 25 grams of protein per serving. It also provides five grams of branched chain amino acids per scoop along with an excellent added blend of vitamins and minerals.
Don’t Miss: Gladiator Smoothie Recipe
Our Favorite Nutritional Boosters
This easy chocolate peanut butter smoothie is great for adding your go-to nutritional boosters. Here are some of our favorites to add:
- Flaxseed meal: this is one of my favorite ingredients to add to smoothies for a little boost of fiber and minerals, and is especially great for nursing mamas as flaxseed can help increase milk supply. Usually, a tablespoon is plenty! Heres a brand I love.
- Hemp seeds: feel free to throw a tablespoon of hemp seeds into your smoothie for a boost of healthy fats, omegas and minerals.
- More veggies: you could also try adding some frozen cauliflower for an extra boost, or adding a handful of spinach or kale. Youll never be able to taste them!
- Protein: Easily add more protein to a smoothie by adding some greek yogurt or 1 scoop of your favorite protein powder. I recommend Vital Protein collagen peptides or Four Sigmatic Plant-Based Protein Powder.