How To Make A Smoothie With Ice Cream
A smoothie with ice cream? Uh, yes please. Once you scoop ice cream into your blender, its technically considered a milkshake, but go ahead and make that switch for an occasional indulgent treat. Ice cream, of course, makes for an exceptionally creamy, sweet, and decadent smoothie experience.
Love the idea but dont want to do dairy? Try a non-dairy ice cream, such as that varieties made of coconut milk.
I love ½ cup coconut milk ice cream blended with 1/4 to 1/2 cup almond, coconut or whole milk, says Adler. Then, its optional to add 1 to 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder or 1 handful cocoa nibs to make it chocolaty, a teaspoon of peanut butter, or fresh mintor all of the above.
You May Like: How To Make Easy Smoothies
Using Fresh Or Frozen Fruit
If youre short on time, grab a bag of frozen mixed berries, or individual varieties to make your own blend. Typically frozen options come with strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries.
If you have ripe fresh berries, use them! However, to achieve a thick and creamy texture, freeze them in a single layer inside a large resealable bag until solidified. I usually do this the day before. If the strawberries are larger than 2-inches in size, halve or quarter them to make it easier to process when frozen.
How Do You Make A Strawberry Banana Smoothie
This smoothie is made with a mixture of strawberries, bananas, Greek yogurt, and juice. Once you have gathered your ingredients and measured them out, toss them into the blender. Blend the ingredients until they are smooth and creamy. Serve immediately and enjoy your summer day!
This recipe calls for frozen strawberries. You can freeze your own but its often easier to just buy them already frozen. However, beware because some frozen strawberries come with added sugar so be sure to check the ingredient list before purchasing.
You can turn this strawberry banana smoothie with yogurt into a shake if you so desire. Simply substitute the juice for milk and the yogurt for strawberry ice cream. Your healthy little smoothie is quickly turned into a sweet treat. Both are great for beating the summer heat.
Don’t Miss: Healthy Smoothies For Chemo Patients
Health Benefits Of A Green Smoothie
- Weight loss: Green smoothie does help with a weight loss if you drink it on a regular basis. Fiber from fruits and vegetables keeps your belly full longer. Plus it is low calorie less than 100 calories.
- Detox: From the mix of chlorophyll contained in the greens to the high level of fiber to keep things moving.
- Energy: Leafy greens and fruit contain many nutrients, vitamins and naturally occuring sugars that feed your body cells with energy.
- Fruits and vegetables: Because smoothies are so easy to make, they make you eat more fruits and vegetables you wouldnt have eaten otherwise.
Recommended Reading: Smoothie King Concert Seating Chart
Water Will Turn The Smoothie Into A Liquid
The nutritionistdoes not consider frozen fruit smoothie with yogurt or other dairies as a liquid. The reason is fiber. All the fruits and veggies left behind their fiber when blended. These fibers ensure a more filling impression in your brain. Therefore, you do not feel hungry for a long time.
However, too many dairies with fiber can cause digestive problems. Moreover, it may make you dehydrated. Thus, adding water will turn this fibrous non-liquid into more absorbable and hydrated. Now it will meet the need of your daily dose of water and nutrients.
Also Check: Smoothie King Center Seat Map
Recommended Reading: Healthy Smoothies For Chemo Patients
Best Smoothie Recipes For Rapid Weight Loss
Combine pears, yogurt, and fresh spinach in a large, 5-gal food-safe container. Using an immersion blender, blend ingredients until smooth. Alternatively, combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Portion 8 oz of the smoothie into a 9 oz clear cup and top with a lid. Smoothies can be made one day in advance.
Also Check: Apple Kiwi Kale Smoothie King
How Using Milk Affects Your Smoothies
1) It adds creaminess
Milk is a concoction of many nutrients including proteins and lactose which help give it more body than regular water. Thus, the creaming effect. When you use milk in your smoothies, you get more depth that if you use plainol water.
2) It adds its own flavor
Milk is naturally flavorful, so adding it will interfere with the current flavors in the smoothie. Depending on which kind of milk youre using and what variation of smoothie youre making, the milk flavor may dominate the entire smoothie which in my opinion, isnt a good thing. Your smoothie is there to present a rainbow of notes to excite your taste buds, so no milk should ever take that privilege away!
3) Its more nutritious
Its no brainer, between water and milk, the latter is the more nutritious of the two thanks to its might cocktail of nutrients ranging from proteins, lactose, and some minerals. Depending on what nutrient youre after, milk can be the better addition for your overall health.
When milk is the better thinner
- When you want extra taste: If extra flavors is what youre looking for, go for milk, it wont disappoint. When opting for milk, you have a wide variety to choose from including breast milk. And each one of them have their distinct flavors which may or may not dominate a smoothie.
- When all you want is creaminess
- When youre not using nutritional supplements and figure out you want a boost, milk is the perfect addition to your smoothie.
Don’t Miss: Smoothie King Arena Seating Chart
How To Make A Mixed Fruit Smoothie
You can follow this smoothie recipe with frozen fruit and enjoy it to your hearts content during summer days. The heat can get very bad and it is better to cool off yourself with some healthy and nutritious smoothie as opposed to just ice water or carbonated beverages.
These smoothies are also great to have with summer season meals. You can add these to the menu of your next brunch too. So, without further ado, here is the recipe to make a frozen mixed fruit smoothie.
Blender Notes And Recommendations
- I recently purchased a new high-powered blender and absolutely love it .
- You do not need a high-dollar blender to make this strawberry blueberry smoothie. If you use a high powered blender , your smoothie will have a finer, more even consistency, but you can certainly make this recipe in a regular blender too. If your smoothie is too thick to blend, add more almond milk .
- I owned this more economical option for a while. While it doesnt get things as smooth as quickly as a high-powered blender or come with the same bells and whistles, its a good option for the price.
- I sip my smoothies through these stainless steel straws. They make everything you drink through them from smoothies, to iced tea or iced coffee, to even water taste extra refreshing. I also keep a few in my purse for when Im out and about, so I dont need to ask for a plastic or paper straw.
Also Check: Dr Oz 10 Day Green Smoothie Cleanse
Ninja Bl660 Total Crushing Countertop Smoothies Blender
This is an 1100-watt base blender with three speeds setting and a pulsing feature with a great design and a style that makes it both a great countertop item and a personal blender. Each purchase comes with a complete kit, including a 72-oz pitcher and Nutri Ninja cups for your convenience.
Can you make a smoothie using a food processor? The answer is no. A food processor and a blender are different from one another, even though their builds are technically the same. To learn more about the differences and the similarities, read our articles on Can You Use a Blender as a Food Processor?
How To Make A Smoothie Less Bitter:
- Pineapple and oranges both add lots of fruity sweetness. Banana, in addition to being sweet, seems to neutralize bitter flavors. Strawberries are also good choices for green smoothies. Also try adding a bit of vanilla bean or vanilla extract, agave, cacao, or unsweetened cocoa powder. Flavored protein powders will also mask the taste of bitter greens. After adding these ingredients, work your machine back up to its highest speed, and process for 10-20 seconds.
- Tip: Baby greens are generally milder than mature greens. Tastes do change and adapt to new eating habits. Try working up to bitter greens by combining small amounts of them with the spinach in your smoothie. Then gradually adjust the ratio as your taste buds adapt. Chalky taste: Add more fruit and/or other ingredients in the recipe. Work your machine back up to its highest speed, and process for 10-20 seconds. Adding more protein powder can give you too much of a good thing use amounts recommended on the label.
Recommended Reading: Smoothie King Center Club Level
Frozen Fruit Smoothie Recipe
Frozen fruit can always be found stocked in our freezer.
When that moment strikes and I have literally NOTHING else to make, a frozen fruit smoothie can always save the day.
It doesnt even matter what fresh or frozen fruits Im working with. They can ALL be turned into a creamy and delicious smoothie.
That is, if you have this basic formula on hand.
I would never leave you hanging, though. In addition to this simple guide, youll also find a few recipes you can start off with and then add in all of the nuts, seeds, milks, juices, yogurts, and protein powders your heart desires.
Because after you finish reading this post, youll never need me again. Well, at least not when it comes to making incredible frozen fruit smoothies!
Why Wont My Blender Blend Frozen Fruit
This is not an uncommon finding when blending frozen fruit and may be due to one or both of the following:
You probably combined the smoothie ingredients in the wrong order. Ensure that you put the yogurt and other liquids first and that it is enough to cover the fruits, followed by the smaller frozen fruits like diced bananas, then finally, put in the larger fruits. This way, you prevent the larger fruits from getting stuck in the blades of the blender.
Overfilling the blender with frozen fruits may also cause the blender to stall. Check the maximum capacity of your blender and try not to exceed it.
Recommended Reading: The Hulk Vanilla Smoothie King Recipe
What Kind Of Frozen Vegetables Are Best For Smoothies
Most vegetables should be great in smoothies, but some will just overpower everything else you put in therefrozen or fresh. That might not be a bad thing if you like the taste of vegetables, but everyone has different tastes and some might not like an obvious veggie taste.
If you want to hide your frozen veggies in your smoothies to get their nutrition without their taste, then its best to pair light flavored fruits like apples and persimmons with light flavored veggies like spinach and lettuce. However, if you want to hide stronger flavored veggies like kale and cauliflower, then youll need stronger fruits like oranges or even use berries.
The seeds of some berries might not be fully blended, even with a high-powered blender, because they are so small. If you see seeds in your smoothie, then its most likely from the berries. If you dont want the seeds, you can try to strain them with a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth. It should be noted though that this can sometimes be quite messy. Perhaps its wise to only attempt this over the sink.
If you dont have a very powerful blender, you may have to cut certain veggies smaller so they can get properly incorporated into your smoothie. While frozen veggies tend to be a little harder to cut than fresh veggies, another way to get smaller pieces is to put the frozen veggies into a bag and just smash them. Mmm, tasty veggie shards.
Some of my personal favorite veggie smoothie combos include:
Ways To Thicken A Smoothie
Frozen fruit or ice is the first way to thicken smoothies. However yogurt, bananas, coconut milk , avocado, tofu, and nut butter can assist in creating a creamy consistency. If using tofu, start off with ¼ to ½ cup cubes of silken tofu. For avocado, use ½ of the fruit first so the taste doesnt become too rich.
Also Check: Smoothie King Center Seating Chart With Rows
Recommended Reading: Smoothie King Shredder Recipe
How To Make A Smoothie Thicker
I love using frozen fruit to make my smoothies thick and delicious. If your smoothie is too thin, add some more fruit or even ice!
Bananas can help make it thicker . To keep it thick, I try to add as many frozen items as I can . If we have yogurt near the expiry date, I freeze it into cubes as well.
How To Make Frozen Fruit Easier To Blend
When most people think about blending frozen fruit, they immediately get intimidated by all of the ice in the food. If you are one of these people, then there are a few simple tricks that you can use to make your fruit easier to blend.
1. Run your frozen fruit under hot water before blending it to melt all of the ice.
2. Put the banana in the microwave for 5 seconds to make it easier to blend.
3. Place your frozen fruit into a plastic bag and pour some boiling water on top of the fruit until it starts melting.
Also Check: Smoothie King Employee Benefits
Water In Smoothies Really
Yes, it is true you can have an excellent smoothie experience with water. Whenever we think of smoothies, it comes with yogurt, almond milk, coconut water or at least milk. It is impossible for us to imagine this beverage with water.
However, if you know how to make a smoothie with water and fruit, you can have all the health benefits with taste. The water itself is refreshing. When you add it in your fruits and veggies blends, the beverage becomes refreshing too.
Moreover, water maximizes nutrition intake. It helps to dissolve all the goodness of smoothies so that your body can absorb it. If you are thinking of losing weight, take water-based smoothies. It will only cut your plump without cutting down nourishment.
Let us look at the 5 reasons that will make you add water in your next smoothie fest.
Also Check: Smoothie King Center Box Office
Ingredients To Make Mixed Berry Smoothie
- Mixed berries: You can use fresh or frozen mixed berries, but I prefer to use frozen since they give the drink a thick and creamy texture without using ice. The berries add lots of Vitamin C to this smoothie recipe.
- Bananas: Again, you can use fresh or frozen bananas, but its easier on the blender if not all the fruit is frozen.
- Greek Yogurt: It adds creaminess and a good source of protein to the mixed berry smoothie. But you can substitute more milk or a vegan yogurt if you prefer.
- Almond Butter: This is a great option for adding extra fat and fiber to the smoothie. Nut butters can really enrich the nutrition of a smoothie to make them more satiating.
- Milk: You can use any kind of milk that youd like or you can even use water if youd prefer. You just need some liquid to get the blender going.
Put all of the ingredients into a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Taste the smoothie and add more mixed berries if its too thin or additional milk if it is too thick. You can also add some sweetener if you prefer it to be sweeter. The recipe makes enough for two 12 ounce cups, which is whats pictured.
What better way to level up your health than with a fresh and delicious meal-in-a-glass! Frozen banana, almond butter and almond milk add the perfect amount of creaminess with a zest of nutty flavor to my family-adored triple berry smoothie.
You May Like: Smoothie King Center Seating Chart With Row Numbers
How Do You Freeze Fresh Vegetables For Smoothies
While there are a few ways to freeze fresh veggies, the first and foremost thing you absolutely must do is to wash them thoroughly. If you do not wash your vegetables properly, then you can get sick. Since you arent using them for cooking, there isnt that sanitizing heat to kill all the germs that may be on the vegetables.
After washing them thoroughly in hot water, large vegetables such as celery, zucchini, and cauliflower, should be cut up for ease of storage. Smaller vegetables such as spinach can be frozen right away unless of course, you want to cut them up, thats up to you. The smaller they are, the faster and better theyre going to be blended up later.
I highly recommend blanching veggies before freezing, even after washing. Its another step, but it will ensure every germ is dead.
One way to freeze veggies is to store the prepared vegetables in air-tight freezer containers or bags and stick them in the freezer. Sometimes they can stick together, so you might want to separate them into single serving sizes before freezing.
Another way is to stick them into ice trays to freeze. After they are fully frozen, they should be stored in an airtight freezer-safe container. Leaving them in the ice trays isnt recommended, as they may become contaminated by other things that are in the freezer.
What Are The Health Benefits Of Strawberries
If you didnt know it already, strawberries are a cholesterol free, fat free, sodium free, low calorie fruit. Strawberries also contain a lot of fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K, and a ton of other vitamins and minerals. Strawberries are loaded with potassium so if you ever get a leg cramp, try eating some strawberries!
Also Check: Smoothie King Metabolism Boost Enhancer Ingredients