How To Make My Favorite Healthy Berry Banana Smoothie
Publish:Jump to Recipe
A berry banana smoothie is how I start most weekends. Filled with foods that deliver health-boosting benefits, Im happy to share my favorite healthy smoothie recipe with with you!
A glass of liquid crimson. A glass of goodness. Tart, cold, sweet, freshcant you just taste it?
This is my glass of happiness because it means Hello, WEEKEND! It puts pizzazz in my morning. Even more, this smoothie helps me close the gap on eating more fiber, protein, and fruit.
Three: Blend To The Right Consistency
We like our smoothies on the thicker side and usually use a spoon to eat them rather than a straw. However, sometimes the smoothie ends up too thinbut we’ll tell you how to fix that!
First, we blend the smoothie without ice to see how thick the mixture is. If it’s too thin, we add 1-2 ice cubes until it’s thick enough.
If the smoothie is too thick, we add a bit more plant-based milk until it’s perfectly creamy. No need for yogurt!
How To Prep Smoothies Ahead
Did you know smoothies are an easy meal prep idea you can make ahead? You can blend it and freeze in airtight cups for later or make your own smoothie freezer packs using the step-by-step process shown below:
And easy as that, you have a few smoothie freezer packs as ready-made breakfasts and meals for the rest of the week.
Also Check: Raw Sugar Moisture Smoothie Shampoo
Key Ingredients For Banana Berry Smoothie
There are lots of ways that you can customize this smoothie. Let’s look at the heart-healthy ingredients I used and any changes you can make to them.
- Mixed Berries: I used a bag of frozen mixed berries. It has a combination of blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries. You can use fresh berries instead, but you’ll have to add more ice to it to give it the smoothie consistency.
- Banana: Make sure your bananas are really ripe. You could use frozen banana pieces as well!
- Yogurt: The best kind to use in this smoothie is nonfat plain Greek yogurt. If you use regular yogurt, it won’t be as thick.
- Oats: Use any kind of rolled oats – regular or quick-cooking are perfect. If you can’t make this smoothie recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free oats.
- Peanut Butter: It’s best to use natural peanut butter since it has less oil in it. Definitely avoid any kind of peanut butter that has added sugar in it.
- Honey: This is optional and you only need enough to make it taste as sweet as you like it.
- Almond Milk: This will help it not be as thick. Always use unsweetened almond milk. You can use vanilla almond milk, but unflavored will blend in better.
Note: For a full list of ingredients and detailed instructions on how to make this smoothie, take a look at the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post!
The Best Places To Buy Frozen Fruit
In the wintertime I rely on frozen fruit. I like to buy big bags of organic berries from Costco because you can’t beat the price! It costs a bit up front, but they last for a long time and the cost evens out.
Other times I head to Trader Joe’s because their frozen fruit is high quality and budget-friendly.
Don’t Miss: Smoothie King Center Box Seats
Recipe Ingredients And Substitutions:
- Frozen Wild Blueberries: Wild blueberries are frozen at peak freshness, and loaded with 33% more brain-healthy anthocyanins than ordinary blueberries. Their smaller size means twice the berries and therefore twice the antioxidants in every sip!
- Frozen Banana: Banana is good in smoothies because it adds natural sweetness and makes the smoothie thick and creamy. If you dislike bananas, you could substitute another starchy fruit like avocado for creaminess.
- Spinach: A handful of fresh spinach secretly slips in extra nutrients. Smoothies are one of the best ways to front-load your day with nutrient-rich greens.
- Silk® Vanilla Oatmilk: The creaminess of this oatmilk makes the smoothie all the more crave-worthy. You can just taste the decadence with every sip, yet feel good about what youre sipping on first thing in the morning. Plus, this oatmilk has 50% more calcium than dairy milk!
- Hemp Seeds: These tiny yet mighty seeds are a great source of plant-based protein and omega-3 fatty seeds. Alternatively, you can use chia or flax seeds.
- Peanut Butter: To give the smoothie more staying power, I always add 1 to 2 tablespoons of nut butter. I love the nutty richness of peanut butter, however you can also use almond or cashew butter.
Optional Add-Ins: This smoothie has some protein from the hemp seed and peanut butter. However, if you want to add protein powder or collagen for after a workout, add 1 scoop of your preferred powder .
Are Berry And Banana Smoothies Healthy
Mixed berry and banana smoothies are good for you. They are high in antioxidants and fiber, and smoothies are an excellent way to increase your fruit and vegetable intake in an easy, on-the-go snack or mini-meal.
However, it is easy to overindulge in smoothies, so it’s important to bulk up the nutrition in your sweet treat by adding healthy fats and complex carbohydrates to make them a more complete meal.
Here’s the nutrition breakdown of this simple berry and banana smoothie:
- Fresh berries like raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries add fiber and antioxidants that reduce cell damage, like anthocyanins and ellagitannins .
- Bananas are a good source of fiber, vitamins C and B6, and have feel-good antioxidants like dopamine and catchekins .
- Plant-based protein powders add necessary proteins and amino acids, which are used to build cells and muscles. Protein also helps slow digestion of the natural sugars found in fruit, which keeps your blood sugar levels from spiking after drinking a smoothie.
- Depending on which plant-based milk you choose, they provide protein and added vitamins and minerals that make a smoothie a well-rounded snack or mini-meal.
- To bulk up the nutrition in this berry banana smoothie even further, add a scoop of nut or seed butter, or flax seeds to incorporate healthy fats and make this smoothie a complete meal.
Read Also: Mielle Curl Smoothie
Berry Banana Baobab Smoothie
Save for later!
This Berry Banana Baobab Smoothie has been a saving grace this pregnancy!
One of the suggestions my midwife gave me for combating morning sickness was to increase my Vitamin B6 intake. Until then, I hadnt purchased or used any baobab powder, simply because it wasnt something I could find locally.
At least, I didnt think I could find it locally until I discovered it accidentally at S & H Health Foods ! Baobab is very high in both Vitamin B6 and Vitamin C the vitamin that helps you absorb iron properly something else I had very low levels of.
Baobab is also extremely high in fiber and has a pleasant, slightly citrus flavor. You only need a very small amount to reap its benefits, so adding just a teaspoon or two a day to your diet has measurable benefits.
S meals were guaranteed to make me sick earlier in this pregnancy, so I first experimented with baobab by adding it to E smoothies. This Berry Banana Baobab Smoothie is my favorite combination. Its full of nutrients, fruity and refreshing.
When my bananas are nearly brown , I peel and cut them in half, and freeze the chunks. Freezing them at their peak level of sweetness does two things:
- it eliminates the need for a sweetener
- keeps your smoothie cold without needing to add ice
Peanut Butter Blueberry Banana Smoothie
This creamy 4-ingredient peanut butter blueberry banana smoothie makes the perfect healthy breakfast or snack. Top this easy blueberry banana smoothie with your favorite granola, extra banana slices and blueberries, and a drizzle of peanut butter! Options to add extra protein or sneak in veggies, too.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my policy page.
I used to LIVE for big breakfasts. In fact, some nights I go to bed dreaming about what Im going to wake up to the next morning.
Maybe a plate full of pancakes with a side of bacon on a weekday with a piping hot coffee? Hell yes, then Im your girl. Or maybe a big bowl of creamy thick oats topped with banana slices & drizzled with peanut butter? Forever a classic.
The whole big breakfast thing kinda flew out the window since having a baby. These days Tony is in charge of breakfast but when hes not around to make me something, I resort to my go-to quick, easy and nutritious breakfast love: SMOOTHIES.
Lately, this gorgeous peanut butter blueberry banana smoothie has been my go-to in the mornings. You only need 4 ingredients, plus its easy, quick and you can easily add in a variety of options to make it your own.
Don’t Miss: Keto Champ Berry Net Carbs
Expert Tips And Tricks
- Use a combo of frozen and fresh fruits. This makes it easier to blend together.
- Choose unsweetened milk. So you can adjust the sweetness to taste.
- Buy organic when possible. Organic fruit has more flavor so it wont be as watered down. Plus, its healthier for you!
- Make sure the banana is ripe. Unripe bananas will not be as naturally sweet and youll end up needing to add a lot more sweetener.
- Mix it up. Switch up the berries or even throw in other fruits such as mango, pineapple, or peaches.
What To Serve With Smoothies
Since this smoothie has so much protein and fiber in it, you might not want to eat it with any other foods. If you do, pick something that is light.
Maybe eat it with a slice of whole-wheat avocado toast or some banana pancakes. If you want something really light but filled with protein, try these quiche cupcakes. They are easy to carry with you out the door too!
Don’t Miss: Smoothie King Arena Seating Chart
Calories And Nutritional Info
One serving of this mixed berry smoothie contains 160 calories, 42 grams carbs, 3 grams fat, and 3 grams protein.
While this mixed berry banana smoothie is not necessarily low in sugar or carbohydrates, its still relatively healthy. There are tons of nutritional benefits! This smoothie is a good source of calcium, potassium, dietary fiber, Vitamin C, probiotics, and antioxidants.
It is possible to lower the calories, carbohydrates, and sugar. Simply opt for a lower-calorie milk such as almond milk. Also, you can leave out the sweetener or replace it with Stevia extract or another non-nutritive sweetener.
Berry And Banana Smoothie Recipe
This Berry and Banana Smoothie is perfect for breakfast or a mid day snack. It will definitely quench your thirst and will totally make you feel refreshed. So if you are drained and craving for something to lift up your mood, this is the answer. Not only is this Berry and Banana Smoothie a craving satisfier, but also a healthy drink you could live by. Its so easy to make with only 5 ingredients for 5 minutes!
Mixed Berry Smoothie Recipe by Sara
This recipe is a refreshing and healthy combination of fruit and yogurt thats kid-approved and super easy to make! Can you ever have too many smoothie recipes? Hmm, dont think so! This smoothie is a crowd pleaser, so we figured it was time to share it to all of you. It takes about 5 minutes to make, and its packed with protein thanks to Greek yogurt so its both filling and refreshing.
HOW DO YOU MAKE THE BEST SMOOTHIE EVER?
Other recipes you might like: Keto Bacon and Egg Cups, Protein Banana Bread, Protein Gingerbread Cookies
You May Like: Small Mango Smoothie Mcdonalds Calories
Simple Ingredients In This Smoothie:
- Blueberries you can use fresh or frozen in this but I prefer frozen in order to give it an extra creamy texture! I pretty much always have them in the freezer for just such occasions.
- Banana Again, fresh or frozen works. Its best if at least one of the fruits is frozen. I typically keep a freezer bag fully of bananas in the freezer for quick smoothie making.If youre looking for an alternative to banana or want the smoothie to have a little less sugar in it, you can try swapping it with frozen cauliflower. You dont taste it in the smoothie at all and its a low calorie alternative!
- Yogurt Ive been loving the blueberry dairy free yogurt from Trader Joes but obviously any yogurt that you have on hand will work well! You can also leave it out completely if desired.
- Liquid I alternate between milk and water when making smoothies. It kind of just depends on my mood. For this particular smoothie, I really like the creaminess that the milk adds. Use whatever kind you prefer .
- Nut butter This is also optional but high recommended! Blueberries + peanut butter is one of my favorite combos. If you want to keep it low in calories, you can try using peanut butter powder- its all of the flavor with a lot less fat. Of course, you can use any kind of but/ seed butter in this!
- Optional add-ins When I have them on hand, I almost always throw a handful of greens into this smoothie as well. And if Im drinking it as a full meal, Ill also throw in a scoop or 2 of protein powder.
How To Make A Frosty Smoothie At Home
Smoothies are one of those things that always seem to taste better when purchased from a café or smoothie stand until now. Finally, Ive discovered the secret to why shop-bought smoothies are so much better!
The answer lies in the frozenness of the ingredients, because nobody likes a runny smoothie. When you use ingredients that are partly frozen , youll wind up with a smoothie so frosty that youll be amazed it was created in your own kitchen.
Step 1: Prep the ingredientsFirst, before blending, freeze either the blueberries or the banana. This will give your smoothie a frosty texture! Note: If freezing the banana, be sure to peel and slice it first!
Step 2: Blend everything togetherAdd the berries, banana, yogurt, and milk to a blender and blitz until smooth. For a punch of healthy fat, you can either blend in nut butter, or use it as a topping! Optionally sprinkle granola on top for some extra crunch.
You May Like: Dannon Light And Fit Protein Smoothie
Recipe Tips And Ideas For Banana Berry Smoothies
Follow these tips to make sure that this smoothie turns out thick and sweet every single time!
- Use quick-cooking oats. It is already chopped up and will blend in better with the rest of the ingredients.
- Try it with almond butter or your favorite nut butter. Changing the type of nut butter will make it taste completely different each time!
- Save a few fresh berries to snack on the side with your smoothie.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon on top of your smoothie. Not only will it add a little spice to it, but cinnamon is also anti-inflammatory, so it’s great for helping your body heal!
Easy Banana Berry Smoothie
A banana berry smoothie is an excellent combination of ingredients that will provide you with a drink that is not only healthy but is also extremely tasty.
I love the fruit combination in this smoothie as it blends a range of delicious summer berries with the creaminess of yogurt. Its loaded with flavor and is a must-try if you love a good smoothie.
This recipe makes enough for two people, so if you want more or less, then dont forget to alter the quantities of the ingredients. As I mention in the smoothie tips further down the page, this smoothie wont keep for very long in the fridge, so its best to drink it all as soon as its ready.
Don’t Miss: Smoothie With Frozen Strawberries
Blueberry Banana Smoothie Ingredients
Like I mentioned above, this smoothie recipe only requires four main ingredients .
- Blueberries: Start off with 1 cup of blueberries. These provide the best flavor in this smoothie and are also responsible for that pretty purple color.
- Banana: Next up, 1 banana adds sweet, creamy oomph to this recipe.
- Yogurt: For consistency, well be using ½ cup of vanilla yogurt. This will add a subtle flavor while also giving the smoothie a thicker texture. You can use your favorite dairy-free version if youd like.
- Milk: Finally, the liquid! I recommend using ½ to 1 cup of milk, depending on how thick or runny youd like the smoothie to be. You can use a dairy-free option here too.
- Optional: Here is the fun part! You can add whatever youd like to the top of your smoothie. I recommend a spoonful of your favorite nut butter and a bit of granola!
Recipe Questions + Quick Tips
Which plant-based milk should you use for creamy vegan smoothies?
Any plant-based milk will do , but we prefer to use pea protein milk or oat milk because they have the thickest, creamiest texture. We specifically like Ripple Pea Milk and Oatly Oat Milk brands.
Should I use a blender or food processor to make smoothies?
We use a traditional blender, but this smoothie recipe can also easily be made with a food processor or handheld blender.
Can you make a smoothie without ice?
Smoothies can be made without ice by using frozen fruit. For this recipe, we suggest using a frozen banana and frozen berries. However, if your fruit is room temperature, using ice will work as well.
Also Check: Smoothie King Center Virtual Seating