Mixed Berry Smoothie Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
A simple berry smoothie thats healthy, creamy, and has no added sugar! Naturally sweetened and full of antioxidants, this smoothie is the perfect breakfast, snack, or dessert!
I love whole fruit juices and smoothies. I also love that smoothies made with fruit dont really need any additional / added sugar because fruit is already so naturally sweet!
Smoothies are also an easy way to get your daily servings of fruits and vegetables its like a little mini-meal when made correctly. And this healthy mixed berry smoothie is no exception! Its one of those easy smoothies thats super customizable and totally satisfying too!
How Do You Make A Berry Smoothie Taste Better
The trick to an amazing tasting smoothie is finding the perfect balance of your favorite berries.
I buy a bag of frozen mixed berries for this. But if you like strawberries, and that is what you have on hand go for it! If you use all strawberries it will be a much lighter color. The blueberries and raspberries give this a pretty dark color. In general, ripe fruit of any kind will be higher in naturally occurring fructose and provide the best flavors.
Calories And Nutritional Info
One serving of this mixed berry smoothie contains 160 calories, 42 grams carbs, 3 grams fat, and 3 grams protein.
While this mixed berry banana smoothie is not necessarily low in sugar or carbohydrates, its still relatively healthy. There are tons of nutritional benefits! This smoothie is a good source of calcium, potassium, dietary fiber, Vitamin C, probiotics, and antioxidants.
It is possible to lower the calories, carbohydrates, and sugar. Simply opt for a lower-calorie milk such as almond milk. Also, you can leave out the sweetener or replace it with Stevia extract or another non-nutritive sweetener.
Don’t Miss: Smoothie Books For Weight Loss
Best Blender For Smoothies
Now that you have all of your smoothie ingredients prepped and ready to go, its time to blend them up! But how?
The answer? With power.
The best blenders for smoothies are capable of completely mixing up all of the ingredients until they are smooth and creamy.
Here is a list of the best blenders for making fruit smoothies:
- Nutribullet A great individual-sized blender option. The larger cup will need to be used in order to not pass the max fill line once blended.
- Ninja Blender is also another great choice!
Can I Make This Smoothie Dairy Free
If you need to, you can easily leave the yogurt out of this smoothie and it will still be delicious! You could substitute half a ripe banana to add a bit of extra creaminess instead. If you would like to include yogurt but still want to keep this smoothie dairy-free, you can use your favorite dairy-free Greek yogurt.
You May Like: How Much Are Smoothies At Mcdonald’s
Faqs About Berry Smoothies
What can I add to smoothies?
I mention that you can add protein powder and spinach to this berry smoothie recipe, but there are so many wonderful, nutrient-rich foods you can add to any smoothie! Here are some suggestions: Nut butters – for a little fat and protein.Chia seedsMaca powder
Do you put ice in smoothies?
I suggest NOT putting ice in this smoothie because it waters down the flavors. Instead, use frozen fruit for a thick, cold smoothie.
Are berry smoothies healthy?
This berry smoothie is packed full of nutrients, antioxidants, protein and fiber.
If you make something from JoyFoodSunshine I would love to see your creations. Follow along with me on , , , and . Tag me in your photos #joyfoodsunshine @joyfoodsunshine Don’t forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment below.
What Do I Need For Your Mixed Berry Smoothie Recipe
In all likelihood, you already have everything you need in your kitchen! Youll need:
- Frozen bananas. The banana will up the fruity flavor, while also adding sweetness and creaminess.
- Frozen berries. You can use whatever frozen berries that make you happystrawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, or a mix! If you head to the frozen fruit section at your local grocery store, youll probably spy a few bags of mixed berries. These are my favorite for this smoothie!
- Milk. Any kind of milk will workcows milk, soy milk, coconut milk, unsweetened almond milk. Whatever you have!
- Plain Greek yogurt. Not only does yogurt make the smoothie even creamier, but it also gives it a boost of protein, so you arent hungry again 30 minutes after finishing your drink.
- Honey or maple syrup. You may or may not need this one, depending on how ripe your banana is.
Don’t Miss: How To Make An Amazing Smoothie
S To Make A Perfect Fruit Smoothie
No matter what kind of fruit smoothie recipe you are making, you can follow these steps.
Now that you have a great idea of making any fruit smoothie let’s look at how to make some of the most popular fruit smoothies.
Protein And Other Powders Sweeteners & More Extras
Any optional ingredients come next. This can include:
Nut or seed butter. Peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, soy butter, and sunflower seed butter are all delicious additionsand they add protein to help curb your appetite.
Powders. A scoop of protein powder or a nutrition boosting powder can be a great addition to almost any smoothie, and beneficial if youre looking to add more protein into your diet. Adler cautions though, that many protein powders contain artificial ingredients and recommends instead, sticking with clean and pure powders. You want your protein powder to have one to three ingredients, max, and no flavors, she says. Be careful of soy powders, generic whey brands, and ones with long ingredient lists of things you cant pronounce!
Sweetener. To sweeten naturally, add a drizzle of honey or maple syrup. But be sure to taste your smoothie before you add sugar, as you may not need it if youve used sweet, ripe fruit, such as frozen mango, banana, or blueberries.
Texture or crunch.A sprinkle of cocoa nibs or chia seeds can give your smoothie a fun crunch to it, and added minerals and good healthy fats! says Adler. Cashews add the perfect amount of creaminess and satisfying feel, without being overly nutty tasting.
Seasonings and spices. Some people love to add a sprinkle of cinnamon, ground nutmeg, vanilla bean powder, or turmeric for an extra kick to their smoothie.
Don’t Miss: Cost To Open A Smoothie Shop
Tips To Thicken Your Smoothie
I love my smoothies nice and thick, as I think it makes them more satisfying. This recipe is already fairly thick, but if youd like to thicken your smoothie even more, here are a few tips:
- Blend in a few cubes of ice after you mix your main ingredients until you reach your desired consistency.
- For thickness and added flavor, try blending in an extra handful of frozen fruit.
- You can also try adding in 1 tablespoon of chia seeds. After a few minutes, these little nutrient-rich seeds will soak up some of the excess liquid and thicken the smoothie.
Also Check: Where To Buy Spirulina For Smoothies
Incorporating Other Smoothie Ingredients
As you get more skilled at making smoothies, youll likely want to make ingredient changes or additions based on the items you have on hand, your dietary restrictions and/or your personal preferences. Theres no wrong answer here. But here a few tips and guidelines that will help you as you experiment:
Don’t Miss: Ben And Jerry’s Smoothies
How Do You Make A Mango Smoothie
If you want to make your own frozen fruit, simply dice up some mango ahead of time and keep it in the freezer. If you dont have time to make your own, frozen mango can be bought at any grocery store. To make this creamy drink, toss your ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Feel free to kick back and relax once youve served yourself this refreshing mango smoothie.
The secret ingredient to this healthy mango smoothie is mango nectar. You can find it in a can in the juice aisle at the store or in the refrigerated section in a carton. It packs a delicious flavor that makes it the perfect ingredient for your smoothie.
Some other juices to use if mango nectar isnt available are
- Apple Juice
- Orange Juice
- Pineapple Juice
Although this smoothie is healthy enough on its own, there are other ways you can up the health factor. One way is by using a juice thats 100% juice with no added sugars. Another way is by making sure that your mango chunks do not contain any added sugar.
More items that can be added to up the health factor of your healthy mango smoothie are
- Flax seeds
- Protein powder
How To Store And Freeze
- If you have leftovers or want to save your smoothie for later, pour it into an airtight covered container, such as a mason jar, and refrigerate it for up to 2 days.
- To freeze your smoothie, pour it into an airtight freezer bag or freezer container, preferably plastic. If you use glass, use a wide-mouth jar and leave at least 2 inches of headspace to allow for expansion. Freeze the smoothie for up to 3 months defrost in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight. If the smoothie separates after defrosting, shake or blend it for a few seconds.
Read Also: Lunchtime Smoothies For Weight Loss
How To Make This Mixed Berry Smoothie
Step One: Start by adding the pineapple juice and orange juice to the bottom of a high-powered blender.
Step Two: Next, add the frozen mixed berries, and Greek yogurt to the blender.
Step Three: Now, add any additional ingredients you would like to include like protein powder.
Step Four: Blend everything for 30 seconds to a minute until the smoothie is completely smooth and creamy. Pour into a glass and enjoy!
Berry Smoothie Recipe: Ingredients & Substitutions
Here are some notes about the ingredients in this banana berry smoothie, as well as possible substitutions.
- Unsweetened almond milk. Any non-dairy milk works excellently in this recipe. I love using coconut milk for a tropical flavor. You can also use regular dairy milk!
- Frozen mixed berries. I always have a bag of mixed berries in my freezer to make this berry smoothie recipe! If you come across delicious fresh berries in the summer for a great price, you can always flash freeze them and then store them in an airtight container in the freezer.
- Frozen banana. If youre don’t prefer bananas, you could substitute another starchy food like avocado for creaminess, but you will likely need to add more honey/maple syrup to achieve the proper sweetness.
- Vanilla extract. You can simply leave out the vanilla, but I love the rich flavor it adds to this frozen berry smoothie.
- Honey. Maple syrup or agave can be used in place of honey. If your berries are extra-sweet you can omit the sweetener altogether.
- Vanilla protein powder . I love adding a scoop of vanilla protein powder to my smoothies for a protein boost that keeps me full longer. Orgain Vanilla Bean Protein Powder is my favorite – I always have it stocked in my pantry.
- Frozen Spinach . If you want to make this a green berry smoothie, simply add some frozen spinach, kale, etc. This is optional!
Ingredients To Make Mixed Berry Smoothie
- Mixed berries: You can use fresh or frozen mixed berries, but I prefer to use frozen since they give the drink a thick and creamy texture without using ice. The berries add lots of Vitamin C to this smoothie recipe.
- Bananas: Again, you can use fresh or frozen bananas, but its easier on the blender if not all the fruit is frozen.
- Greek Yogurt: It adds creaminess and a good source of protein to the mixed berry smoothie. But you can substitute more milk or a vegan yogurt if you prefer.
- Almond Butter: This is a great option for adding extra fat and fiber to the smoothie. Nut butters can really enrich the nutrition of a smoothie to make them more satiating.
- Milk: You can use any kind of milk that youd like or you can even use water if youd prefer. You just need some liquid to get the blender going.
Put all of the ingredients into a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Taste the smoothie and add more mixed berries if its too thin or additional milk if it is too thick. You can also add some sweetener if you prefer it to be sweeter. The recipe makes enough for two 12 ounce cups, which is whats pictured.
What better way to level up your health than with a fresh and delicious meal-in-a-glass! Frozen banana, almond butter and almond milk add the perfect amount of creaminess with a zest of nutty flavor to my family-adored triple berry smoothie.
Faqs And Tips For Making The Best Berry Smoothies
Can you use water in a smoothie?
You can easily substitute any of the liquids in this recipe for water, or a different juice/milk. As long as you use the right amount your smoothie will be great.
How do you make a smoothie thicker?
If you want to make this recipe thicker, use less liquid or add in an extra banana .
Do you need ice to make a smoothie?
Since this recipe uses frozen fruit, you dont need any ice cubes. In general, if you want your smoothie to be cold and on the thicker side, I recommend using something frozen, whether thats ice or frozen ingredients.
Read Also: What Do You Put In A Fruit Smoothie
You May Like: Spinach Pineapple Smoothie For Weight Loss
Ingredients For This Strawberry Smoothie
Heres what youll need to make this strawberry smoothie! Alex and I were careful to choose healthy ingredients for this smoothie: no overly sugary juices or syrups. Heres what we selected:
- Frozen strawberries: Its easy to find and store frozen berries, and they add a great icy texture to this smoothie. If you want to use fresh berries, use a frozen banana.
- Fresh banana: Our pet peeve is smoothie recipes that call for frozen bananas, because we never keep them on hand! Usually we want a smoothie recipe now. So we customized this one to use a fresh banana.
- Greek yogurt: Greek yogurt gives this recipe a protein boost and helpful probiotics. It also makes for a perfect creamy texture.
- Ice: Heres the most important part ice is essential to a perfect strawberry smoothie! It makes just the right frothy texture. Weve tried it without and it really makes a difference. Do not omit it!
- Milk: You need just the right amount of liquid in a smoothie to get it to blend. Not enough and the blender gets stuck , and too much it tastes milky. You can also use non-dairy .
- Maple syrup: Adding a hint of maple brings out the sweetness in the berries. If you eat a low sugar diet you could omit, but it doesnt quite taste sweet enough with no sweetener.
Healthy Mixed Berry Smoothie
This mixed berry smoothie recipe is delicious & nutritious! It only takes 5 ingredients and 5 minutes to make this healthy banana berry smoothie, which can be enjoyed as a quick breakfast or afternoon snack! It’s dairy-free, and you can even add protein powder and spinach for an extra nutrition boost.
I drink a smoothie every morning. Starting my day with a healthy dose of fruits, protein and greens is just the best. This mixed berry smoothie is one of my favorites !
This banana berry smoothie is easy to make – and only takes 5 minutes to blend together. Plus it’s incredibly versatile. Add your favorite vanilla protein powder and a handful of greens to add some extra nutrients!
Also Check: How Do You Make A Fruit Smoothie Without Yogurt
Berry Smoothie Recipe Faqs
Can I make this smoothie with fresh fruit?
Yes. If using fresh fruit, its best to flash freeze the fruit in the freezer for about 30 minutes. Just cut fruit into small pieces and place on a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet. Freeze for 30 minutes before proceeding with recipe as written. If you dont want to wait for the fruit to freeze, add one cup of crushed ice for a nice thick smoothie texture.
Can I use something other than milk?
Definitely! We love using different kind of juices and milks in this recipe. Here are some of our favorites: apple juice
Tips And Tricks For The Creamiest Smoothie
- Add the liquids first adding the liquids to your smoothie first will help everything to blend more evenly which will give you a smoother and creamier smoothie.
- Use frozen fruit frozen fruit helps to keep the smoothie creamy and cold without the use of any ice.
- Ditch the ice speaking of ice, the pitfall of a lot of smoothies is the use of ice. Ice waters down the smoothie changes the consistency from creamy to icy and just does not give you that delicious smooth texture that everyone loves.
- Use ripe fruit if its the summer, when fruit is its best and in season, I highly recommend freezing ripe fresh fruit instead of buying pre-frozen fruit from the freezer section. It will make your smoothie even more flavorful and delicious.
Recommended Reading: What Do You Put In A Fruit Smoothie