How To Make A Green Smoothie:
1. Add liquid. Add milk, fresh orange juice, and ice to the bottom of your blender.
2. Add spinach. Toss in two big handfuls of spinach
3. Add Greek yogurt. I like to use plain Greek yogurt that has zero grams of sugar and lots of protein. Youre adding fruit next which will provide plenty of sugar :).
4. Add fruit and add ins. Next add your banana, frozen fruit and additional add ins . Any kind of frozen fruit will work .
5. Blend until smooth. Check the consistency of your smoothie and add more liquid depending on your preference.
Best Green Smoothie Recipe Ingredients
Even though this green smoothie looks incredibly healthy , what I love most about it is its creamy texture and sweet, fresh flavor. Heres what makes it so darn good:
- Frozen banana makes it thick and creamy. Plus, it adds a little sweetness and plenty of potassium.
- Lots of spinach gives this smoothie its vibrant color and a host of nutrients. Dont worry you cant taste it!
- Fresh mint gives it a light, fresh flavor.
- Almond butter makes it creamy, satisfying, and rich with healthy fats.
- Vanilla extract adds yummy depth of flavor.
- Ice cubes make it cool and refreshing.
- And almond milk gets the blender going and perfects the creamy texture. If you dont have almond milk on hand, another plant-based milk like oat milk, soy milk, or coconut milk would be great here too.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
This green smoothie recipe makes 2 servings. Share it for breakfast if your significant other loves smoothies as much as mine does!
Add An Equal Amount Of Greens
Whatever amount of liquid you added to your blender, add the same amount of leafy greens on top of the liquid. So if you used one cup of liquid, use one cup of tightly packed greens. Really pack them into your measuring vessel tightly to make sure you’re actually getting enough in there. This is a green smoothie, after all.
Spinach and kale are my favorite smoothie-friendly greens. If you’re using kale, be sure to remove the thick stemsthey don’t blend very well. Pre-washed baby spinach or baby kale are the most convenient options of course, but you can really use any leafy green you likeromaine, collards, swiss chard, or a mixas long as you remove any thick stems. Fresh green herbs count, too. I’m especially fond of mint in my smoothies, but parsley or cilantro are also winners.
Read Also: Smoothie King Merchandise
The 10 Best Green Smoothie Recipes For Weight Loss:
In this section you will find 10 weight loss smoothies. If you are looking to start a green smoothie diet, keep scrolling for 2 green smoothie diet options.
Here are some of the best green smoothie recipes I have found. I encourage you to try different ingredients and find the ones you especially like, because the goal is to drink these green smoothies as often as you can.
How To Make Smoothies Thinner
Ive found some smoothies, especially green smoothies, can be thicker than I like. And, my children always prefer their smoothies to be less thick.
There are two options to making smoothies thinner. Add more juice or add more water. But, by adding more juices, youre also adding more unnecessary sugars. If Im drinking the smoothie right away, I add ice water. If Im saving the smoothie in the refrigerator for later in the day, Ill add water only.
Don’t Miss: Smoothie King Concert Seating
What Milk To Use
You have lots of options when it comes to the milk used in this recipe. We used standard whole milk, however you could make this a vegan smoothie by using a plant based milk like almond, cashew or oat.
To make this smoothie creamier and add some extra flavour, swap 50ml of the milk for coconut milk. This will really help to thicken the smoothie too.
You could use water instead of milk, however I wouldn’t recommend doing that because it would make it really thin.
Simple Green Juice Recipe + Tips
This simple homemade green juice recipe takes 6 ingredients, 15 minutes, and a juicer or blender Easy, healthy, and loaded with nutrition. And it tastes so refreshing!
I’ve been making this juice for the past two months, and have seen some great benefits. My favorite way to enjoy it is first thing in the morning. This recipe is Mediterranean diet-friendly, and one of many vegetarian recipes my family enjoys.
I’m probably one of the last people to join the green juice trend! In the past, I’ve enjoyed it occasionally, but I sorta cringe at the price of store-bought green juice!
So, I decided to juice my own greens and veggies, and I’ve been at it consistently for the past two months. Other than the fact that I enjoy the refreshing taste of green juice, it’s been a great way to use up produce. And, personally, I’ve seen some great benefits in increased energy, immunity and more.
When I’ve shared about this on, I received so many questions like:
– Why do you drink it?
– What’s a simple green juice recipe?
– What time of the day is best to have it?
– Can you make green juice in the blender?
My go-to green juice recipe is simple. It takes 15 minutes, 6 ingredients, and a juicer or blender . I’m excited to share the recipe with you and answer your questions as best as I can.
Read Also: Almond Mocha Smoothie King Recipe
Kitchen Tools To Help You
For your healthy green smoothie, youll want to make sure you have these kitchen tools:
- BLENDER: This blender is the BEST for cutting spinach down all the way. For this recipe, youll need a good strong blender so you dont end up with chunks. I cant recommend this one enough!!
- MASON JARS: I used tall glasses for this recipe, but I LOVE serving smoothies in mason jars!
- CHIA SEEDS: These are a MUST for all smoothie recipes! Such huge health benefits perfect for breakfast.
How To Make A Green Smoothie For Kids
This is a common question I get from new mamas all the time! My girls love green smoothies but there is a lot to consider when making them specifically for kids or babies.
A few things to consider:If you’re making a green smoothie for toddlers, they normally have a sweeter palate . Which means overloading on veggies will make them hate smoothies.
Use fruit to keep the smoothie pretty sweet but make sure there are energy stabilizers to control the energy hit.When it comes to how to make a green smoothie for kids- make it look pretty!
Either that or have it in a cup you can’t see through. Kids don’t want to drink a murky green-brown smoothie. But they do get excited over pink, purple, or green smoothies!
Don’t Miss: Raw Sugar Moisture Smoothie
Use A Vitamix Blender
If youve been around my blog for a while then you know that I exclusively blend with a Vitamix ! So its not surprising that I will tell you that the best way to achieve silky smooth green smoothies is to use a Vitamix blender!
I bought my first Vitamix because I was sick of chewing my green smoothies ?! I wanted a blender that would pulverize anything and everything I put into my smoothies and the Vitamix was the answer. If you dont have a Vitamix yet I highly recommend getting one ASAP!
Check out my Vitamix Buying Guide where I give my exhaustive reasons for choosing a Vitamix blender a decade ago, and my top recommendations about which model to buy!
Now Lets Move On To The Toppings For A Green Smoothie Bowl
Lots of good stuff to choose from here!
- Bee pollen: great for balancing hormones and boosting the immune system.
- Granola: adds more fiber .
- Goji berries: adaptogenic herb that balances hormones, supports weight loss, boosts the immune system.
- Plain oats: adds more fibers
- Raw chopped nuts: adds more fiber, proteins and healthy fats.
- Shredded coconut: adds healthy fats and fiber.
- Raw seeds : adds zinc, selenium, fiber and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Sliced fresh fruit: provides more vitamins, minerals, enzymes, antioxidants and fiber.
2 cups tightly packed baby spinach
2 Tbsp almond butter
Suggested toppings: shredded coconut, fresh berries, hemp seeds, berries
You May Like: 10 Day Detox Smoothie Recipe
Lets Start With The Green Smoothie Bowl Add
Youll want to blend these into your smoothie.
- Acai powder: adds antioxidants, healthy fats and some minerals.
- Beet root powder: boosts energy, adds natural sweetness.
- Cacao powder: adds antioxidants and magnesium which helps with sleep, energy, PMS and hormone support.
- Greek yogurt: adds probiotics gives a creamy texture.
- Ground flaxseed and chia seeds: rich in fatty acids they soak up moisture, which will make your bowl thicker.
- Green powders : loaded with antioxidants, trace minerals, vitamins.
- Maca powder: balances hormones, boosts energy, supports fertility, regulates stress response adds a caramel-like flavor.
- Nut butters: adds healthy fats and fiber gives a creamy texture adds a soft nutty flavor.
- Plain oats: adds fiber makes smoothie thicker.
- Pomegranate powder: anti-inflammatory contains antioxidants, polyphenols, vitamin C, folate, magnesium.
How To Make Green Smoothies: The Basics
by Gabriella | Jun 13, 2019
If you have difficulty eating enough leafy green vegetables I highly encourage giving green smoothies a try. Green smoothies are basically fruit smoothies that are blended with fresh leafy greens such as spinach, kale, or swiss chard. They can be a simple and easy way to incorporate more leafy green vegetables into your diet.
- Follow this guide on the basics of green smoothies to learn:
- The benefits of drinking green smoothies
- What to buy to make green smoothies
- A formula for making green smoothies
- Four simple green smoothie recipes.
Don’t Miss: Smoothie King Center Seating Chart
Scrub Yourself Clean Green Smoothie
This is one of my favorite recipes for a detox smoothie flush. Not only does it taste really delicious, but it also helps boost your metabolism, too!
Broccoli is an extremely healthy vegetable, often referred to as a super veggie. Its high in many nutrients, including vitamin C, vitamin K, fiber, potassium and iron. Broccoli also contains more protein than most other vegetables, which gives you an extra metabolic boost .
This green smoothie detox recipe is great for someone whos new to smoothie recipes for weight loss. The flavors are mild, and the nutrition is high.
Which Greens To Use For Smoothies
You can use most leafy greens in smoothies. The most popular are spinach, kale, romaine, and chard. All of these greens are rich in vitamins and antioxidants, but spinach, chard, and kale pack an extra nutritional punch with high amounts of iron and fiber.
Spinach and romaine will taste very mild and neutral in your smoothie. While kale and chard are still fairly mild, their flavors will be more apparent when compared to spinach.
- Mango or Pineapple. Of all the fruit Ive tried, these two do the absolute best job of hiding the taste of the greens. They make the smoothie taste like a tropical breath of fresh air! You can use one of these two or a mix of both with excellent results. Pineapple is the most effective at hiding the taste of greens in smoothies, especially stronger green like kale.
- Frozen Banana. I always recommend using frozen banana in green smoothies. It makes the smoothie creamy, thick, and naturally sweet, without the need to add sugar. If youd like to make a green smoothie with no banana, add more of the other fruit in this recipe, plus some yogurt for creaminess.
Read Also: Smoothie King Center Box Seats
Below You Will Find These 10 Best Green Smoothies For Weight Loss:
The below 10 smoothie recipes for weight loss go great with the green smoothie diet plans below
Keep scrolling for recipes, and for information on how to make a weight loss smoothie DIY.
Both Of These Green Smoothie Diet Plans Are Always Free:
Do you know anything about the Nutri Bullet? Do you reccommend it?
I wouldnt freeze the pre-made smoothies. When you re-thaw then they tend to separate and get weird and frothy. You can put all of your ingredients into a ziploc bag and freeze that so all you have to do is throw it in a blender and add a liquid.
If I prepare these ahead of time how long can I freeze each premade smoothie?
Keep posting they are great recipes
Question: Whats your take on suing coconut water for standard water? And cherries are out of season here and I cant find them frozen, do you have suggestions for substitutes?
Hi AudreyI just made my first smoothy from your top 10 Purple Passion yummy Thank you so much for the recipes and in helping me lose my buddy belly lol
This is the single best post I have seen to date. I am on a journey to lose my baby fat, and I love smoothies. Thank you for sharing!
Any ideas/recipes to include avocados?
Love this post. Well thought out and very informative I have pinned it of course and I am looking forward to trying each and every one of your wonderful recipes. Following the rules of course
love the premise and would like yo get all this in printed form. can u help me. You are an answer to my prayer.Rose Marie
I put 1 drop pf dish soap into the blender container with some water, blend it up and rinse. Easiest way to clean out your blender.
Recommended Reading: 10 Day Smoothie Fast
A Few Tips To Make The Healthiest Green Smoothie
1. Start with fresh, organic greens
Youre probably drinking a green smoothie for the surge of vitamins, minerals and nutrients, right? So its best to keep your greens as fresh, clean and nutrient-dense as possible. Hit up your farmers market for just picked produce or grab some organic greens from your grocery store. The key here is to steer clear of pesticide residues and wilty greens which wont pack the nutrient punch youre looking for.
Dark leafy greens that work well in smoothies include kale, spinach, and chard. But you could switch that up with romaine, mustard greens, dandelion greens and celery as well. You dont want to fall into a food rut, so make sure to alternate your greens.
2. Choose a healthy liquid base
Youre gonna be adding whole fruit to your smoothie, so its best to steer clear of fruit juice as the base. This will also help to limit the total amount of sugar in your smoothie. Good liquids include filtered water, coconut water and nut milks . Homemade nut milks are better than store bought as they wont contain thickeners, emulsifiers, additives and other nasties. Theyre also super easy to make, so give them a try!
3. Add a variety of fruit
Some greens will make this easier than others. For instance, spinach is pretty mild so youll acclimate to less fruit faster. Kale on the other hand is quite strong and you may need more fruit to get used to the flavor.
4. Dont forget some healthy fats
5. Boost it with superfoods and mix-ins.
Purple Passion Green Smoothie
This Purple Passion Green Smoothie recipe is a spinach smoothie recipe thats full of antioxidants thanks to the strawberries and blueberries. The flavors all blend perfectly into a really delicious, mellow, creamy weight loss smoothie thats also got a fun purple color.
Strawberries are packed full of vitamin C, naturally increasing metabolism. They are also a natural anti-inflammatory, making them perfect for enjoying after a workout, reducing muscle soreness, opening up breathing passages and reducing bloat .
Read Also: Smoothie King Center Box Office
Can You Make Green Smoothies Ahead Of Time
You sure can! Fresh smoothies are best so I dont recommend making them entirely ahead of time, but some prep can be done to save on time. Try blending spinach + water and then pouring the mixture into ice cube trays and adding them to a freezer bag once frozen. You can also pre-portion your fruit to freeze.
Then, all you have to do is blend the spinach with a bit of water and toss in the fruit. No measuring anything out!
What You Will Need
- Banana – This adds some natural sweetness, as well as thickening up the smoothie. If you don’t like banana, then you can use avocado for thickness, and extra honey to sweeten.
- Spinach – This is what gives the smoothie the green boost. You could swap it for kale.
- Blueberries – We think all smoothies should have berries in them. You can swap blueberries for raspberries or strawberries. Use frozen berries to make the smoothie really cold.
- Milk – You have got a few options when it comes to what milk to use, and we have written about them below.
- Honey – This is what helps to sweeten the smoothie. You could leave it out, or even swap it for maple syrup if you want this smoothie to be vegan.
- Almond butter – This helps to thicken the smoothie, and give it a protein boost.
Recommended Reading: Smoothie King Job Description