The 5 Keys To This Fast And Sweet Kale Smoothie For Kids
1. Use FROZEN kale Did you know you can buy frozen kale? Yes it is the fastest and easiest way to get kale into your smoothies. You will never make a smoothie without it again.
2. Use APPLE JUICE to sweeten just a 1/2 cup of apple juice makes this smoothie sweet and flavorful.
3. Use plain Greek yogurt to cut down on added sugar while vanilla yogurt will definitely make this smoothie even sweeter, try to use plain yogurt if you want to keep it as low sugar as possible. But, if you need it, reach for the vanilla yogurt.
4. Use frozen mango and bananas mangoes and bananas are great ways to make a smoothie sweeter and more kid-friendly.
5. Blend VERY well kale smoothies need two to three times more blending time than regular fruit smoothies. You want to ensure you dont have little pieces of kale visible.
How To Make Dessert Smoothies For A Healthy Sweet
- 11 November 2021
We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Think of smoothies and I bet you think about breakfast. But that isnt the only option when it comes to adding smoothies into your diet and a great one is to have a smoothie or a smoothie bowl as a dessert. The key? Make a dessert smoothie that is a little sweeter for the perfect healthy sweet course.
Let me guess you dont always feel like making a smoothie for breakfast or even if you do, drinking it is another thing. I get that, sometimes I want breakfast to be easy or even a sweet tooth treat and a smoothie doesnt interest me. But I know I still need to get that goodness in somewhere. Having a dessert for breakfast in the form of a smoothie can be the perfect solution but you do want to tweak the classic smoothie recipe just a little.
Pick The Right Liquid
Start with 3/4 cup liquid and add more if needed. If you are using frozen fruits or veggies, you might need to add more. If youre using items with high water content like cucumber, youll need less.
Use sparingly: Fruit juice, sweetened or flavored non-dairy milks, carrot or beet juice, coconut water
Tip: If you find less-sweet smoothies too bland, try diluting your juice or milk with water , gradually increasing the amount of water over a few weeks. Note that plain or original non-dairy milks dont necessary mean unsweetened, so check labels carefully!
You May Like: Immune Boosting Smoothies For Cancer Patients
Is Your Smoothie A Sugar Bomb Heres How To Fix It
·Post may contain affiliate links.
Smoothies can be the ultimate health food but, thanks to the plethora of delicious fruits and add-ins we use to make them, they also have the potential to be the ultimate sugar bomb. Not that yogurt, juice or fruit are bad for you per sebut if youre looking to lower your sugar intake or regulate your blood sugar , try making your smoothies with lower-sugar ingredients.
Consistently overdoing it on the sugar can defeat the purpose of your healthy smoothie, and even negate some of the benefits. Here are a few ways you can tweak your favorite smoothie recipe to be lower in sugar these no-fruit smoothies or the Detox Probiotic Smoothie with Kefir pictured below is another great place to start!
More Vitamin C Than An Orange
Vitamin C is well-known for keeping the immune system functioning at its best. But did you know that it also helps strengthen the eyes and protect them from the suns damaging rays? Plus, its an antioxidant which means it can help to reduce the risk of cancer by protecting cells from damage and mutation.
Tasty tip Pairing strawberries with blueberries in a smoothie will get you an even better vitamin C hit. The anti-oxidants in blueberries also enhance the effects of vitamin C, so you get even more immune boosting benefits.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Good Smoothies With Frozen Fruit
Keeping The Ingredients Minimal But Flavourful
My biggest piece of advice is to keep it simple!
Pick 1-3 fruits to add, maybe a leafy green such as spinach and then your liquid and protein source. That’s it!
Don’t make it harder on yourself by going out and spending all this money on fish oil, fresh turmeric, etc and then have a smoothie where you don’t enjoy the taste very much or you’ve spent $100 on ingredients and have turned it into a complicated process. Sometimes the healthiest foods are the simplest foods.
How To Make A Strawberry Smoothie Without Yogurt
Most smoothies use either yogurt or juice and ice as a base to make it creamy. You dont have to choose one or the other though. Juice spikes up the fruit sugar content unnecessarily so always try and stay away from smoothies based on juice.
Yogurt is a great source of protein if you dont have any dairy tolerance issues. If you do, however, you dont have to go for the juice option. There is other ways. You can use coconut milk for example to obtain that creamy texture and flavor. I use light coconut milk for my smoothies so they dont sit in my stomach too heavy.
Recommended Reading: The Best Healthy Smoothie Recipes
Why You Should Make This Strawberry Smoothie
Ive made a version of this easy smoothie recipe more times than I can count. Its perfect on its own and is the best base recipe for adding more ingredients.
Here are a few more reasons we love it:
- You need less than 5 minutes to make it.
- You can use fresh or frozen fruit. In fact, frozen strawberries make the smoothie extra creamy.
- Its easy to adapt to what you have in the kitchen.
- This smoothie is perfect for breakfast or a snack.
- Kids love it!
Read Also: Best Ninja For Making Smoothies
Healthy Smoothies Have Plenty Of Ice
A 2016 study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition shows that people who drank dense smoothies felt fuller than those who had a thinner versioneven when the calorie counts were the same! The best way to thicken your smoothie without adding calories? Ice. Get started with these healthy breakfast smoothies.
Recommended Reading: Beet Juice Smoothie For High Blood Pressure
Variations On This Strawberry Smoothie
This smoothie is adaptable and easy to adjust with different ingredients. You can replace the strawberries with another frozen berry , throw in a handful of spinach, add a banana, or use orange juice instead of milk. You can even give it a boost of protein by adding cottage cheese . The smoothie of possibilities!
Frozen Fruit Smoothie Recipe
Frozen fruit can always be found stocked in our freezer.
When that moment strikes and I have literally NOTHING else to make, a frozen fruit smoothie can always save the day.
It doesnt even matter what fresh or frozen fruits Im working with. They can ALL be turned into a creamy and delicious smoothie.
That is, if you have this basic formula on hand.
I would never leave you hanging, though. In addition to this simple guide, youll also find a few recipes you can start off with and then add in all of the nuts, seeds, milks, juices, yogurts, and protein powders your heart desires.
Because after you finish reading this post, youll never need me again. Well, at least not when it comes to making incredible frozen fruit smoothies!
Don’t Miss: Whats The Best Blender For Smoothies
Swap In Coconut Water For Juice
Coconut water contains natural sugar, but not nearly as much as other fruit juice. It also has fewer calories than juice and adds electrolytes, which makes smoothies like this Tangerine and Strawberry Smoothie recipe from Chew Town a healthy way to hydrate. Just be sure to use an unflavored, not-from-concentrate coconut water.
Whats The Best Blender For Making Smoothies
Blenders have gotten so advanced in the past few years, that its hard to pick one that wont blend up a great smoothie! If youre blender shopping, here are the three blenders we recommend for daily smoothie-making:
- MOST AFFORDABLE: Cuisinart Immersion/Stick BlenderDont let its small size fool you, this tiny handheld blender is packed full of power, and will easily make a smoothie for you every day! Its perfect if youre limited on counter space.
- MEDIUM: Ninja Professional BlenderFor under $100, you get an incredibly powerful blender that makes a dreamy, creamy smoothie. This was the blender we used in the Wholefully test kitchen for years, and its a great starter-level, but still high-powered, blender.
- SPLURGE: Vitamix Professional BlenderA Vitamix is the top of the line when it comes to blenders, and its what we use every day in the Wholefully test kitchen. It comes with a hefty price tag , so if youre just blending a smoothie every now and again, there is no need to make the splurge. But if you do a lot of cooking or make a lot of smoothies or blended drinks, you might want to start saving your pennies for a Vitamix. Its a lifetime appliance that is a dream to use!
Don’t Miss: Smoothies For Wisdom Teeth Removal
Do You Have To Add Ice
No, ice cubes are not necessary to make a smoothie, as long as youre using frozen fruits. Replace 1:1 ice cubes to frozen fruit is recommended. The ice will create a smooth, thick, chilly texture, or frothy if only a small amount is used. I like to add both ice cubes and frozen fruit together to create the perfect consistency.
How To Make Healthy Smoothies
Making healthy smoothies is a much simpler process than you would imagine, and this post will show you how to make 7 different kinds of healthy smoothies that you’re going to love!
I think many people have misconceptions about what healthy smoothies really are. I know when I was younger, I thought that healthy smoothies were the ones you got at Booster Juice. Sadly, I would order a large smoothie from there or Starbucks after a night of partying and think I was replenishing my body with healthy food. Little did I know these smoothies were often filled with sugary frozen yogurt and can contain up to 460 calories .
To make genuinely healthy smoothies, you have to be careful with the ingredients you use. This post will educate you on how to choose the highest-quality ingredients to ensure that you’re getting the nutritional benefits you should be getting with fruit-filled smoothies.
As long as you stock your freezer with frozen fruit and keep a few handy base ingredients on hand in the fridge each week, smoothie making is super easy and nutritious.
Read Also: Bahama Mama Tropical Smoothie Cafe
Vegan Pumpkin Pie Smoothie Bowl
A creamy, dairy-free pumpkin smoothie topped with gluten-free chocolate chip cookie dough bites, raw pumpkin seeds, pecans, chocolate covered chia seeds, coconut cream, and maple syrup for a naturally sweetened fall-inspired breakfast that tastes just like pumpkin pie!
Recipe by:Healthy Little Vittles
Ways To Add More Vegetables To Your Smoothies
Now that weve established to minimize certain fruits in smoothies, its time to bring in the power of greens! Yes, you can load your smoothie with tons of nutrients without ruining the taste.
Tip on adding vegetables: two vegetables that are a great substitute for adding heft to your smoothie are blanched and frozen zucchini and frozen cauliflower. Blend these into your mix and you have the perfect replacement for your typical banana.
Now, here are a few vegetables options to add:
- Avocado has the highest protein of any fruit and adds an unmatched creaminess to any smoothie.
- Cucumber provides a light and fresh taste while providing a lot of water to stay hydrated.
- Carrots are great for boosting your immune system and add a natural sweetness and color to your smoothie.
- Leafy Greens are a great source of fiber, protein and antioxidants.
- Beets can be used to sweeten an all veggie smoothie and boost energy levels.
- Zucchini is high in fiber and water content to keep you full and is virtually tasteless in a smoothie.
- Cauliflower is filled with Vitamin C, potassium, and fiber and adds non-sugar creaminess.
Also Check: Strawberry Banana Smoothie Without Yogurt
Ways To Add Protein To Your Smoothies
If youre looking to boost the protein in your low sugar smoothies, here are a few suggestions on ways to do it:
- Nut Butter adds protein and healthy fats with just a single tablespoon.
- Greek Yogurt is a great way to add a creamy, tangy texture.
- Nuts and Seeds provide extra fiber and protein per tablespoon.
- Protein Powder such as whey or plant-based is an easy way to include protein in the mix.
- Collagen Powder boost your protein and supports healthy skin, hair, and nails.
Equipment For Healthy Smoothies
Having the right equipment is key to making healthy smoothies.
- The Vitamix personal series is great for making just one or two smoothies at a time
- So is the Magic Bullet or Nutri Bullet the only hang up here is that I find I have to replace these models once every couple years or so because the motor eventually burns out
- The Vitamix Ascent series is my fave though it’s self-cleaning so you aren’t left with a ton of mess and it’s perfect for if you’re prepping 3-4 smoothies at a time. It can tear through anything to make the smoothest smoothie, even ice!
You can of course get a mid-range blender too, really any blender will work. But if it takes 3 or more tries to get that smooth texture without all the lumps, it can be a frustrating experience.
See how often you’re going to be making smoothies and if it’s going to be a consistent thing for you, your best bet is to invest in a high-powered blender that can minimize the time you spend making healthy smoothies.
Don’t Miss: How To Make A Great Smoothie With Frozen Fruit
How To Meal Prep Smoothies
Believe it or not, you can meal prep smoothies in a variety of ways!
The basic premise is that you add all your fillings, then add the milk/Greek yogurt fresh the day you go to make them. You can make a ton of different combos in advance and then you have your smoothies meal prepped and waiting for you without the hassle of getting everything out.
This method is great for when you have to get out the door fast but you still want a freshly blended smoothie.
How Long Will Healthy Smoothies Last in the Fridge?
You can also blend a few smoothies up to 3 days in advance I find that just like cold-pressed juices, smoothies will last a few days in the fridge. They won’t quite be as good as fresh, but nothing in the smoothie is necessarily going to go bad so you can make a few at a time to enjoy later.
I wouldn’t recommend leaving them past 3 days because the bananas or other leafy greens can go bad but you do have a couple days to enjoy.
Add Hazelnuts Or Hazelnut Spread
For a really simple smoothie bowl idea, try using cocoa powder, hazelnuts, bananas and ice. You can add some Greek yoghurt if you like things creamier or to thin the mixture a little. You can also add sliced hazelnuts to any mixture or even use a hazelnut spread in the blend. Something similar might work with cashew nuts or cashew butter in some recipes.
Don’t Miss: I Need A Good Blender For Smoothies
Sweet Kale Smoothie Recipe
This sweet and creamy kale smoothie recipe is a favorite with our kids
Have you ever whipped up a delicious, healthy smoothie and handed it to your child only to have them grimace and spit it back out?
It has happened to all of us, I am sure.
What seems like a great smoothie to us packed with greens and berries and protein often doesnt work with our kids.
The truth is they might need a bit more sweet to cut the bitterness of the healthy stuff we try to sneak in there.
When I make smoothies for myself, I dont add sugar or any sweetened products. I stick with plain yogurt, milk or water, and get my sweetness from the fruit I add usually berries.
For kids, a green smoothie with only berries for sweetness is probably not going to cut it.
But dont worry you dont need to dip into the sugar bowl.
The trick to making smoothies kids will drink is adding a bit of fruit juice, along with flavorful, sweet fruits like mangoes, bananas and strawberries.
Even if you are using milk and/or yogurt in your smoothie, you can still add APPLE JUICE to sweeten it. It works like a magic ingredient, increasing the sweetness and flavor, even with just a 1/4 or a 1/2 of a cup.
And to make your smoothie extra creamy with more protein and healthy fats, add some avocado.
You can even freeze avocado so you have it on hand when you need it.
This Sweet Kale Smoothie is our go to smoothie recipe for our kids. They love it!