What If I Dont Like Bananas
Bananas are the backbone of my simple smoothie recipes to me, they add so much creaminess and natural sweetness for an affordable price. But, if theyre not your thing, you can add some Greek yogurt with a sweetener and ice, OR do half an avocado with a sweetener and ice. Those two combos will replace a banana nicely in a smoothie and still give you a rich, creamy texture.
Make any of these 8 Simple Smoothie Recipes today for you or your family and enjoy the balance of vegetables and fruits in these creamy, refreshing drinks!
Now you are a smoothie making expert and I hope that you have found some great smoothie inspiration to get you comfortable with making smoothies at home.
This is just a starting point though, feel free to play around with these base recipes and come up with your own favorite smoothie recipes to meet your needs and preferences!
Take the hassle out of meal planning with: Dinner Made Easy, a FREE 1 week meal plan with full shopping list, easy dinners, nutrition information, serving suggestions for each meal, and more!
Orange Strawberry Squash Smoothie
This two-serving sipper is a delicious way to help you reach your daily fruit and veggie requirements. Like many smoothies, you could blend it into a drink or a smoothie bowl. If you want to make more of a meal out of it, add protein-rich enhancers, like protein powder or Greek yogurt.
This smoothie bowl packs 27 g of protein to power you through a long morning. Plus, wild blueberries are packed with antioxidants and fiber.
If a non-dairy smoothie is more your style, this one, with plant-based protein powder, makes a delicious and filling meal.
Cottage cheese provides the protein in this layered drink. Its made parfait-style so the smoothie and cottage cheese are kept separateperfect for days when you want to dig in with a spoon.
Super Easy Fruit Smoothie Recipes
Oh yes, fruit combinations are endless in smoothies! And that makes it all the more fun to experiment with new flavors and vibrant colors. Just remember to make the most of whats in season. Stock up on mangos in the summer and persimmons in the winter. Then blend those with year round fruits such as bananas or apples to create easy, tasty, and refreshing options.
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie: This is a classic combo that never fails and can be enjoyed all year round!
- Mango Smoothie: Mangos are blended with bananas and milk for a sweet and creamy summertime recipe.
- Mandarin Breakfast Smoothie: This creamsicle dream is brimming with Vitamin C, and plenty of power ingredients to kickstart your morning!
- Strawberry Acai Smoothie: If youve got frozen acai packs, blend them with strawberries and bananas to create a vitamin-packed smoothie.
- Peach Breakfast Smoothie: Enjoy the best of peach season with a breakfast smoothie full of creamy yogurt, chia seeds, and a few easy spices.
- Almond Orange Smoothie: Oranges, bananas, almond butter, and vanilla beans make for a simple smoothie thats packed with flavor and nutrients. Bonus, it tastes like an Orange Julius!
- Post Workout Green Smoothie: Try this easy combo of spinach, apples, bananas, avocado, and protein powder to complete your workout routine.
Recommended Reading: Smoothies For Depression
Frozen Fruit Smoothie Recipe
Frozen fruit can always be found stocked in our freezer.
When that moment strikes and I have literally NOTHING else to make, a frozen fruit smoothie can always save the day.
It doesnt even matter what fresh or frozen fruits Im working with. They can ALL be turned into a creamy and delicious smoothie.
That is, if you have this basic formula on hand.
I would never leave you hanging, though. In addition to this simple guide, youll also find a few recipes you can start off with and then add in all of the nuts, seeds, milks, juices, yogurts, and protein powders your heart desires.
Because after you finish reading this post, youll never need me again. Well, at least not when it comes to making incredible frozen fruit smoothies!
Not Adding Enough Leafy Greens
I use 40% leafy greens and the rest is fruit. That means I add about two small handfuls of leafy greens when I prepare a green smoothie that is about 20 ounces. When I make a meal that is about 30 ounces or more, I add three large handfuls of leafy greens.
If you only add a few spinach leaves or kale leaves to your smoothie that is about 30 ounces, it does not help a lot.
When you’re adding sweet fruit such as mango, orange, pineapple and banana, you will get more nutritional value and minerals and you will not even know about the greens that are bitter.
Also Check: Smoothie King Center Box Seats
Equipment For Healthy Smoothies
Having the right equipment is key to making healthy smoothies.
- The Vitamix personal series is great for making just one or two smoothies at a time
- So is the Magic Bullet or Nutri Bullet the only hang up here is that I find I have to replace these models once every couple years or so because the motor eventually burns out
- The Vitamix Ascent series is my fave though it’s self-cleaning so you aren’t left with a ton of mess and it’s perfect for if you’re prepping 3-4 smoothies at a time. It can tear through anything to make the smoothest smoothie, even ice!
You can of course get a mid-range blender too, really any blender will work. But if it takes 3 or more tries to get that smooth texture without all the lumps, it can be a frustrating experience.
See how often you’re going to be making smoothies and if it’s going to be a consistent thing for you, your best bet is to invest in a high-powered blender that can minimize the time you spend making healthy smoothies.
The Right Smoothie Ratios
Start your smoothie with two mugfuls of a liquid base. This can be milk, or a dairy-free alternative such as soya or almond milk, natural or flavoured yogurt, fruit juice, or for a tropical flavoured smoothie, low-fat coconut milk or coconut water. It’s important to add the liquid to your blender before adding the fruit, as this will prevent the blade from getting damaged.
Next, add about three quarters of a mug of your chosen fruit. Banana is a great base flavour for any smoothie, and will give you a lovely creamy texture. Other fruits that work well are berries, mango, peaches, plums, nectarines, grated apple or pear, and melon. You may have to add more fruit or liquid, depending on the type of fruit you choose. Play around until you have a texture you like. Add a squeeze of honey, maple syrup or agave syrup if your smoothie needs it, and finally add a few ice cubes to the blender for a thick and frosty smoothie.
Smoothie combination ideas
Don’t Miss: Smoothie King Gladiator Recipe
And Essential Fatty Acids
You will see omega-3 fatty acids mentioned as a component of many of these nutrition boosters, so keep this information in mind.
First, these are referred to as essential because theyre needed for health, but the body cant make them on its own.
Alpha-linoleic acid and linoleic acid are fatty acids. EPA and DHA are also types of omega-3s. These contribute to a variety of effects in the body, including skin and nerve health, brain health, blood pressure, and blood clotting.
Whats important to keep in mind here is that omega-3s and omega-6s need to be consumed in a proper ratio for optimal health. Today, many people get too many omega-6s in their diets, so consuming foods high in omega-3s can help to regain this crucial balance.
Many foods containing essential fatty acids spoil quickly. Be sure to keep them in the refrigerator and consume them quickly.
For more information about essential fatty acids, and nutrition in general, check out Nutrition and You by Joan Salge Blake, .
How To Meal Prep Smoothies
Believe it or not, you can meal prep smoothies in a variety of ways!
The basic premise is that you add all your fillings, then add the milk/Greek yogurt fresh the day you go to make them. You can make a ton of different combos in advance and then you have your smoothies meal prepped and waiting for you without the hassle of getting everything out.
This method is great for when you have to get out the door fast but you still want a freshly blended smoothie.
How Long Will Healthy Smoothies Last in the Fridge?
You can also blend a few smoothies up to 3 days in advance I find that just like cold-pressed juices, smoothies will last a few days in the fridge. They won’t quite be as good as fresh, but nothing in the smoothie is necessarily going to go bad so you can make a few at a time to enjoy later.
I wouldn’t recommend leaving them past 3 days because the bananas or other leafy greens can go bad but you do have a couple days to enjoy.
Recommended Reading: King Center Ticket Office
Best Protein Powders For High Protein Fruit Smoothies
The options for protein powder are plenty. Look for brands that are minimally processed and without added sugars or artificial sweeteners. I like the Naked Nutrition brand because the ingredients are minimal, and because you have options for pea, whey, and egg protein, among others. Lets look a little more closely at the options:
That all being said, you can certainly get naturally-occurring protein from chia seeds, flaxseeds, nut butter, spinach, and egg white, too!
Here Are 12 Healthy Ingredients To Add To A Smoothie:
1. Instead of using juice, upgrade with raw milk, raw cream, cultured kefir, or cultured yogurt. These foods will add extra probiotics, vitamin A, vitamin D, CLA and iodine to your smoothie.
2. Add an organic egg yolk for extra vitamin A, D, choline, B6 and B12. You actually cant taste it and it makes the smoothie extra creamy. I put them in my kids smoothies all the time!
3. A scoop or two of collagen peptides is a great way to add extra protein and this nutrient is also a powerhouse for the skin, hair and nails.
4. Add some leafy greens. Its best to consume cooked greens so cook the greens, drain them and then freeze them in an ice cube tray. You can do this with kale, spinach, mustard greens, and dandelion greens. Or, if youd like a shortcut, check out Dr. Cowens greens powder. They are cooked beforehand to reduce the goitrogens and then dehydrated and crushed into a fine powder.
5. Adding a handful of other frozen veggies such as butternut squash, steamed cauliflower, or even frozen peas along with your frozen fruit is a great way to add nutrients.
6. A spoonful of coconut oil is a great way to add some healthy saturated fat to make the smoothie more filling. Make sure and blend the smoothie really well, so you dont have any clumps!
10. A sprinkle of bee pollen in the smoothie or on top is a nice way to add some additional B-complex and folate.
What are your favorite healthy ingredients to add to a smoothie?
Also Check: Smoothie King Green Tea Tango Recipe
How To Make A Smoothie + 27 Simple Smoothie Recipes To Try
Im a believer that smoothies are the perfect meal or snack no matter what the weather. It is never too cold to have an awesome smoothie! Since smoothies are such a tasty way to pack in a meal on the go, I put on a big sweater and happily drink them even when the temps are frigid.
We originally published our first guide on smoothie making way back in 2015, and since then, millions of folks have visited this post and used our recipes to make the best ever smoothies! I consider these smoothies simple classics because they have great flavor, all the ingredients are easy to source , and they pack a nutritional punch that can nourish you nicely. These are the kinds of smoothies that I think everyone should know how to make, and chances are, youll find a favorite combo among these recipes. There really is no wrong way to make a smoothie, but I think these recipes are a great jumping-off point if the blender intimidates you.
Best Healthy Smoothie Recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Check out 100+ healthy smoothie recipes and learn how to make your own unique healthy smoothies at home with our basic smoothie equation.
Say hello to the most beautiful smoothies on the internet! Smoothies are such a great healthy breakfast idea, snack, or even dinner! In less than 5 minutes you can enjoy multiple servings of fruit, veggies, healthy fats, and more!
PS: Check out our best Protein Shake Recipes, too!
Recommended Reading: 10 Day Smoothie Detox Diet
What Do You Put In A Breakfast Smoothie
- Healthy Fats. Your favorite nut butter, coconut milk, or chia seeds. This makes the smoothie more satisfying and keeps you full between meals. Keep portions in mind I usually add about 1 tablespoon.
- Protein and Fiber Additions. Greek yogurt or your favorite protein powder are easy ways to make breakfast protein smoothies. A tablespoon of oatmeal adds fiber.
- Fruit. Breakfast fruit smoothies are always a crowd-pleasing choice. Strawberries and blueberries are my go-tos. Bananas make smoothies naturally sweet. Mango and pineapple can hide the taste of greens. Unexpected fruits like apples or watermelon can be scrumptious too.
- Vegetables. Spinach, kale, avocado, carrots, and even beets can all be added to smoothies.
- Flavor Additions. Vanilla, cinnamon, honey, maple syrup, and dates are all excellent ways to give your smoothie more flavor.
- Liquid. Unsweetened almond milk is my favorite for smoothies. You can also use juice , a different kind of milk, coconut water, or even plain water.
Are Breakfast Smoothies Good For Weight Loss
- Filling breakfast smoothies that are high in protein and low in calories can be good for weight loss. Choosing hearty breakfast smoothies will help make sure you arent starving by mid-morning.
- See the Healthy Breakfast Smoothies for Weight Loss category below for recipe ideas.
Note: The above is a general guideline. For more information or specific recommendations for your own diet, please contact a nutritionist or your doctor.
Recommended Reading: Small Strawberry Banana Smoothie Mcdonalds
Can I Make High Protein Fruit Smoothies Ahead
Smoothies can be made ahead and put in the freezer. In fact, Ive got 7 Easy Make Ahead Smoothies that you can prep and store for up to 3 months. Pull them out of the freezer the night before and place in the fridge. In the morning, breakfast is served immediately!
If you want to get more veggies and fruit into your day to day food intake, try prepping Smoothie Freezer Packs as a make ahead meal or snack, too.
You can make one of these High Protein Fruit Smoothies and leave it in the fridge for up to 24 hours without all of the nutrition leaving the mix, but I enjoy them best right out of the blender!
Sorbet Chocolate Syrup And Ice Cream
I am convinced that most of you do not add these ingredients to your green smoothies.
Though, if you make a smoothie for dessert using these things, I suggest you try to use healthier methods to prepare your blends. You can use most fruit to make a sorbet and you do not have to add any sugar whatsoever. Fruit is adequately sweet without having to add sugar.
When you simply can’t do without your favorite chocolate, my suggestion is that you use raw cacao in your green smoothie. This is a much better form of chocolate.
Recommended Reading: Smoothie King Seating
How To Blend The Best Smoothie
Though calorie needs vary depending on age, weight, hormones, activity levels, and more, as a rule of thumb, most of us do well with snacks that contain fewer than 200 calories a 300- to 450-calorie breakfast would cover most adults needs. Heres how to get the most nutrition without driving the calories sky high.
How To Freeze Fruit For Smoothies
To make smoothies even easier, freeze fresh fruit into portions. You can even prepare smoothie packs and freeze them for a grab-and-blend smoothie option.
To freeze fruit for smoothies, rinse and chop fresh fruit into small pieces. Pat them dry then arrange, in one layer, on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Slide the baking sheet into the freezer and freeze until hard .
When the fruit is hard, divide it between freezer-safe bags and keep it in the freezer for your next smoothie.
Also Check: Smoothie For Anxiety
Blend Nuts Instead Of Nut Butter To Nix Added Sugars And Preservatives
Nut butters, like peanut, cashew, and almond butter, get a bad rep because plenty of grocery store options contain hidden added sugars and hydrogenated oils. You’re better off choosing natural peanut butter or other nut butters, which will only contain one ingredient on the nutritional label.
Even better? Blend up whole nuts, like cashews, walnuts, and peanuts, which provide plenty of protein, unsaturated fat, fiber, and vitamins, without added sugar, fats, and oils. You can soak them for a few minutes before blending to help soften them, too. Or just toss a few on top of your smoothie for a surprising crunch and texture.