How To Make A Smoothie: The Simple And Perfect Home Recipe
Like smoothies? It’s a delicious drink that’s easy to make and adds fruitand vegetables to your diet! Don’t spend $7 on something you can make at homewith whatever ingredients you have on hand in your kitchen! This is the perfectquick and healthy breakfast option to give you energy all day long. Throweverything together and take it on-the-go. Or put things out for the kids afterschool hours.
This basic perfect smoothie recipe provides a great base for you to addprotein and fiber, as well as whatever flavors you like. We’ve tested thisrecipe and explain the physics of how it works so you’ll get something thatblends perfectly every time.
Five simple steps make the perfect smoothie recipe:
You can throw everything in a cheap blender and get pretty goodresults, but you’ll get the best and most consistent results by following thistemplate. Why? Physics!
Why Use Frozen Fruit To Make Smoothies
Using frozen fruit automatically makes the smoothie thicker and more like a milkshake, which I love!I know some people like to add ice to smoothies, but I personally am not a fan of the watered-down flavor that gives.
I also find that its more convenient to use frozen fruit. I dont know about you, but I dont always have fresh fruit on hand- at least not enough to make enough fruit smoothies for our family of six.
But its easy to buy a couple of bags of frozen fruit and keep them in the freezer!
And Check Out Some Of Our Favorite Smoothie Hacks Too:
- How to Freeze Strawberries. There are lots of ways to use frozen strawberries, but smoothies are definitely one of my favorites!
- Smoothie Booster Packs. Never let spinach go bad again! Drop these frozen smoothie packs into your smoothies to boost the nutrition.
- 3 Ways to Meal Prep Smoothies. Yes, you can make ahead smoothies! And we have three ways to show you how.
Recommended Reading: Smoothie King Vanilla Protein Blend Ingredients
How To Make Epic Smoothies At Home
Set up your kitchen for making the best healthy smoothiesfrom choosing the right blender to stocking your kitchen with healthy ingredients for homemade smoothies.
Smoothies are refreshing and delicious. And most of the time, they’re also super-healthy. The best way to guarantee you’re drinking a healthy smoothie and not a milkshake in disguise is to make them at home. Not only do you get to control the ingredients, but also the cost is lower . Whether your goal is to eat breakfast more often, get some fruit and vegetable servings in the morning or eat healthier in general, this guide to making smoothies at home will help get you there.
Make Sure You Have A Good Blender To Make This Frozen Fruit Smoothie
You want to make sure you have a good blender. I have been thru some cheap ones and they barely last a week. Dont waste your time like I did with these cheaper models, and just get something nice from the get go. It will save you time and money!
I have a Vitamix now and it was worth the money. We have had it for many years and its still working to make smoothies and more! Its paid for itself time and time again with all the money I have saved making smoothies and milkshakes at home.
Purchasing a Vitamix is pricey, but it is worth it. You wont have to keep replacing it like with the cheaper blenders. Amazon has several of them on sale right now for a great price.
If you just cant make it work in the budget, I recommend a Waring professional blender. I think it is the next best thing and it will get the job done. Now, it is not as good as the Vitamix but its a close second for a more reasonable price. Amazon has several Waring blenders on sale right now.
You May Like: Curl Milk Vs Curl Smoothie
How To Make A Smoothie With Fresh Fruit
Of course, fresh fruit can be an amazing addition to your favorite smoothies. Just be sure your fruit is soft and free of large seeds before you add it to the blender. Peel your fruit, and chop it into smaller pieces if its large or a little on the firm side.
One fresh fruit smoothie recipe youll definitely want to try: Adlers Everyday Green smoothie, made with fresh avocado, banana, blueberries and spinach.
Incorporating Other Smoothie Ingredients
As you get more skilled at making smoothies, youll likely want to make ingredient changes or additions based on the items you have on hand, your dietary restrictions and/or your personal preferences. Theres no wrong answer here. But here a few tips and guidelines that will help you as you experiment:
Don’t Miss: 10 Smoothie Diet
Are You Looking For Even More Smoothies No Worries Weve Got You Covered:
- Clementine Avocado Smoothie. If youve never added avocado to your smoothie before, you are missing out! The flavor is so mild, that you cant taste it, but the texture is dreamy, creamy smooth, and the healthy added fats help keep your fuller longer.
- Cold Buster Smoothie. When youre feeling under the weather and your throat is sore, this smoothie for colds is soothing and nourishing.
- Coffee Smoothie. Get a jolt of caffeine and your breakfast all in one cup! This is packed full of coffee flavor.
- Persimmon Smoothie. Packed full of autumnal flavor, this spiced smoothie is creamy and sweet!
- Spinach and Pear Smoothie. Bright green and fresh in flavor, this smoothie is a perfect light breakfast.
- Sweet Potato Smoothie. Sweet potato in a smoothie? YUP! It tastes like a delicious pie. Youll love it!
- Apple Smoothie. This smoothie is packed full of healthy spinach, but tastes like apple pie!
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie. This pumpkin smoothie is perfect for the weather is still warm but your heart wants fall to show up.
- Dark Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie. This smoothie is rich and dark, and it tastes decadent enough you could sip on it for dessert!
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Smoothie. All the flavors of your favorite sandwich in a tasty smoothie! Pick your favorite jelly to add to this peanut butter smoothie.
- Tart Cherry and Spinach Smoothies. We show serving this cherry smoothie as a light breakfast in a bowl, but you could easily pour it in a glass and sip away!
How To Make Homemade Smoothies
Homemade smoothies are a tasty way to add extra servings of fruits and vegetables into your diet. Whether you are looking for a delicious way to start your day or just need a healthier afternoon snack, knowing how to make a smoothie is a great way to expand your culinary knowledge and build your kitchen confidence.
Also Check: Evening Smoothies For Weight Loss
Creamy Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie
Part of the struggle with trying to lose weight and create healthier habits is the struggle of having to give up some of your favorite foods, like chocolate. Say no more. This chocolate mint smoothie is the perfect blend of protein and chocolate to satisfy your cravings for good! Why avoid what you love when you can indulge the healthy way?
Green Weight Loss Smoothies
Popping into a juice bar for a cold cup of extruded kale juice may be all the rage, but when it comes to both nutritional impact and weight-loss power, juices cant hold a candle to smoothies.
- First, most commercial juices use apple juice, which is a high-sugar, low-nutrient base.
- Second, juicing strips all the natural fiber out of produce: the rough stuff is what makes it good.
- And third, juices lack fat and protein without these crucial elements, youre getting no fat-burning, metabolism-boosting benefits.
Next time you want to drink your veggies, blend up one of these seriously nutritious recipes from the book Zero Belly Smoothies.
All recipes make one serving.
Also Check: Smoothie King Recipes Berry Punch
Don’t Miss: Smoothie King Muscle Punch Recipe
How To Measure Smoothie Ingredients
I too am guilty of looking at a smoothie recipe and then throwing a bit of everything into the pitcher. I could end up with a 12 ounce breakfast or a 24 ounce drink-me-all-day. Sometimes though, its nice to know exactly how much smoothie Im going to end up making.
Maybe you are counting calories. Perhaps you dont want to end up with leftovers. Maybe you never make enough for your kids to share. No matter your reason, sometimes its just makes life easier to know.
How do I do this without dirtying a pile of measuring cups and spoons? A kitchen scale!
Simply place the pitcher on your scale and hit the tare button to zero it out. Add the ingredients, pressing tare between each one, to measure exactly how much goes into the pitcher. Best of all you do it without dirtying a single measuring utensil.
How To Make An Acai Bowl
Smoothie bowls make a delicious and nutritious breakfast, lunch or snack. Theyre essentially a thicker-consistency smoothie, served in a bowl and topped with vibrantly colored ingredients such as nuts, grains, and fruits. To turn your go-to smoothie into a bowl, sub out all fresh fruits and veggies for frozen ones.
Acai bowls, one of the most popular versions of a smoothie bowl, can sometimes seem inaccessible at home, but the truth is that they start simply with frozen acai purée, which you can find in most supermarkets. Break up two 4-ounce packets of unsweetened frozen acai purée with a meat mallet or by slapping the packets on the counter. Then add the purée to the blender along with 1/4 cup blueberries, half a banana and 1 tablespoon honey. Blend it up, and youre ready to serve! Add the mixture to a cereal bowl and top with slices of the other half of the banana and more blueberries. Finish it off with your favorite textured toppings, like granola, pomegranate seeds and unsweetened coconut flakes. Get our Acai Bowl recipe and more smoothie bowl ideas below.
CC ACAI BREAKFAST BOWL Cooking Channel Unsweetened Frozen Acai Puree, Banana, Blueberries, Honey, Granola, Pomegranate Seeds, Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
The perfect breakfast treat, right at home! Give the original recipe a try, and then get creative with your favorite nuts and toppings.
You May Like: Smoothie King Gladiator Chocolate Protein Powder
Benefits Of A Whole Food Diet
In a 2014 analysis by Yale University, they concluded that a diet of minimally processed foods close to nature, predominantly plants, is decisively associated with health promotion and disease prevention.
A diet rich in fruit and vegetables or other high-fiber foods like whole grains and nuts is really important in maintaining good long-term health and preventing health problems like diabetes and cancers. These kinds of foods also help our bodies to cope and control the effects of inflammation.
In fact, one review from 2019 stated that diets high in plant foods could potentially prevent several million premature deaths each year if adopted globally. This is a big endorsement for a whole food diet.
Super Easy Fruit Smoothie Recipes
Oh yes, fruit combinations are endless in smoothies! And that makes it all the more fun to experiment with new flavors and vibrant colors. Just remember to make the most of whats in season. Stock up on mangos in the summer and persimmons in the winter. Then blend those with year round fruits such as bananas or apples to create easy, tasty, and refreshing options.
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie: This is a classic combo that never fails and can be enjoyed all year round!
- Mango Smoothie: Mangos are blended with bananas and milk for a sweet and creamy summertime recipe.
- Mandarin Breakfast Smoothie: This creamsicle dream is brimming with Vitamin C, and plenty of power ingredients to kickstart your morning!
- Strawberry Acai Smoothie: If youve got frozen acai packs, blend them with strawberries and bananas to create a vitamin-packed smoothie.
- Peach Breakfast Smoothie: Enjoy the best of peach season with a breakfast smoothie full of creamy yogurt, chia seeds, and a few easy spices.
- Almond Orange Smoothie: Oranges, bananas, almond butter, and vanilla beans make for a simple smoothie thats packed with flavor and nutrients. Bonus, it tastes like an Orange Julius!
- Post Workout Green Smoothie: Try this easy combo of spinach, apples, bananas, avocado, and protein powder to complete your workout routine.
You May Like: Seating Chart For Smoothie King Arena
Processed Foods That Are Okay On A Whole Food Diet
Many brands of cereals are fortified with B vitamins, which can be hard to come by on a plant-based diet.
For example, vitamin B12 , is largely found in animal sources. It is something that those on a plant-based diet need to keep an eye on, as studies show that around 20% of us are deficient. And we also know that 65% of vegans and vegetarians dont take a B vitamin supplement.
So in that case, choosing a cereal fortified with B vitamins would be a good option, if done wisely. By that I mean use your discretion and check the labels, as many brands of cereals are packed with sugar and additives. But you can strategically choose minimally processed foods using a whole foods mentality.
As a rule of thumb, if there are any ingredients that you cant pronounce, dont understand, or sound artificial, they probably are best avoided.
How Can I Make My Smoothie Healthier
The smoothie recipes below are plain, but if you want to expand your smoothie horizons, go for it! Toss in chia seeds or protein powder or hemp seeds or flax or whatever else makes your heart happy. If you have a standard set of mix-ins you like, you can even freeze them into booster packsgreat for really quick and easy smoothies!
Recommended Reading: Protein Shake Smoothie King
Blend The Night Before
It’s not ideal for the best smoothie texture, but sometimes you can’t crank up the blender at 6 a.m. If you do need to make your smoothie in advance, store it in a jar in your fridge and shake it up the next morning before you sip. It may have separated a little and be a little thinner but these are sacrifices I’m willing to make to sleep in for 5 extra minutes on some mornings. If you’re making your smoothie in advance use frozen fruit and a little less liquid to help it hold up and stay as frosting as possible.
How Do I Make Smoothies If I Dont Like Bananas
Lucky for you, we have an entire post of recipes to make a smoothie without banana. Try those recipes, or tweak any of the recipes below by:
- Subbing in 1/2 cup additional plain Greek yogurt , plus 1 tablespoon additional sweetener and a handful of ice cubes in place of the frozen banana in these recipes.
- Other options: canned pineapple, sweetened yogurt, canned pears. Adding half a ripe avocado can really help make up for the creaminess that bananas usually add, too.
You May Like: Smoothie King Gladiator Recipe
How To Make A Smoothie With Frozen Fruit
As we mentioned, making a smoothie with frozen fruit is a great way to go. Its an especially good move at the times of year when your favorite fruits arent in season.
And since you want your smoothie to be cold and frosty, theres no fuss here. Just throw your favorite frozen fruits into your smoothie and blend. You might even find that you need little or no ice because youre getting the coldness and iciness from your frozen fruit.
Bananas, mangos and blueberries always come out best frozen! says Adler. Strawberries and raspberries tend to be more bitter and have more seeds. So for those, you might want to go fresh.
What If I Dont Like Bananas
Bananas are the backbone of my simple smoothie recipes to me, they add so much creaminess and natural sweetness for an affordable price. But, if theyre not your thing, you can add some Greek yogurt with a sweetener and ice, OR do half an avocado with a sweetener and ice. Those two combos will replace a banana nicely in a smoothie and still give you a rich, creamy texture.
Make any of these 8 Simple Smoothie Recipes today for you or your family and enjoy the balance of vegetables and fruits in these creamy, refreshing drinks!
Now you are a smoothie making expert and I hope that you have found some great smoothie inspiration to get you comfortable with making smoothies at home.
This is just a starting point though, feel free to play around with these base recipes and come up with your own favorite smoothie recipes to meet your needs and preferences!
Take the hassle out of meal planning with: Dinner Made Easy, a FREE 1 week meal plan with full shopping list, easy dinners, nutrition information, serving suggestions for each meal, and more!
Read Also: Smoothie King Seating View
Add Extras To Your Liking
There are so many amazing things that you can add to a smoothie to increase its nutritional bang for your sip, though you dont have to add anything at all. I keep all kinds of superfoods around and throw in what sounds good. Ill normally add 2 or 3 extras to my smoothie each morning. Different things that I like to add include: hemp seed hearts, flax seeds, chia seeds, spirulina, organic brown rice protein powder, pea protein, and/or cacao nibs. Other people also add things like goji berries, matcha powder, and bee pollen, but I havent dabbled in those yet.