What Is A Smoothie Bowl
Smoothie bowls are smoothies taken to the next level! Theyre basically a big, thick and creamy smoothie in a bowl with lots of toppings that you eat with a spoon like ice cream! Basically, its just like ice cream and a smoothie had a baby.
Smoothie bowls seem simple, but it can be hard to get the perfect flavor and consistency. This a full guide on how to get your smoothies creamy, and delicious every time!
Tropical Papaya Perfection Smoothie
This coconut-infused breakfast smoothie tastes just as decadent as a milkshake. One sip will immediately transport you to a tropical island.
Cut 1 papaya into chunks and blend it with 1 cup of fat-free, plain yogurt, 1/2 cup fresh pineapple chunks, 1/2 cup crushed ice, 1 tsp. coconut extract, and 1 tsp. ground flaxseed. Process the mixture for about 30 seconds, or until its smooth and frosty.
Nutrition :299 calories, 1.5 g fat, 13 g protein, 64 g carbs , 44 g sugars
This easy Strawberry Banana Smoothie Bowl is a simple and sweet treat! Its a healthy Paleo + vegan breakfast or snack made with only a few ingredients, and you can add whichever toppings your heart desires to customize to your tastes.
Smoothie bowls: yay or nay? I LOVE them, which is obvious based on the number of smoothie bowl and acai bowl recipes Ive posted on the site, as well as the frequency with which I make them for breakfast and go out to local juice bars to get them.
But, some people dont see the point. Why do you need to EAT your smoothie with a spoon? they say. Who has time to sit and eat a smoothie? they ask. Ive seen smoothie bowls on a whole bunch of lists of food trends that have gotta go in 2017.
When Ive had a smoothie bowl though, thick and creamy and loaded with delicious crunchy + fruit toppings, I definitely feel like Ive had a meal, and its enough to keep me going through the morning. Bonus theyre so refreshing, and absolutely delicious.
Storing And Freezing The Smoothie
- To store: Smoothies are best enjoyed within 1-2 hours of making them. However, you can store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Be sure to mix it very well before enjoying it.
- To freeze: Pour the smoothie into an ice cube tray or ziplock bags, and store in the freezer for up to 6 months. When ready to enjoy, simply reblend until smooth and creamy.
Read Also: Healthy Smoothie Recipes For Diabetics
Don’t Miss: Love Beauty And Planet Leave In Smoothie Cream
Berry Good Workout Smoothie
Get the energy you need to power through your workout in minutes with this easy-to-make smoothie recipe. For an extra dose of calcium, try adding a teaspoon of Organic Kale Powder.
What youll need: 1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries, 1 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup raspberries, 2 Tbsp. honey, 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice, and 1/2 cup ice cubes. Blend until smooth.
Nutrition :162 calories, 1 g fat, 2 g protein, 41.5 g carbs , 32 g sugars
Recommended Reading: Lose Weight Smoothie Recipes For Weight Loss
Topping Ideas For Your Bowl:
Smoothie bowls are delicious and versatile because you can really personalize them with toppings.
Sometimes you need a little extra crunch to really make it feel like a meal. There are so many great options available because berries are so adaptable.
Here are a few toppings that we think work well:
- Extra whole berries and sliced bananas
- Nuts such as pecans, walnuts, slivered almonds, and cashews, which will add protein
- Seeds extra chia seeds, flax seeds, or sunflower seeds for flavor and protein
- Shredded or slivered coconut
- An extra drizzle of honey or maple syrup
- A sprinkling of cinnamon or nutmeg
Berry with Banana Smoothie Bowl
Recommended Reading: How Much Do Daily Harvest Smoothies Cost
Why You Should Make This Banana Smoothie
Ive made a version of this easy banana smoothie recipe more times than I can count. Its perfect on its own and is the best base recipe for adding more ingredients like fruit, nut butter, and veggies.
Here are a few more reasons we love it:
- You need less than 5 minutes to make it.
- You can use fresh or frozen bananas.
- Its easy to adapt to what you have in the kitchen.
- This smoothie is perfect for breakfast or a snack.
- You can even make the smoothie ahead of time, freeze it, and save it for later.
Best Smoothie Bowl Toppings
Ah, my favourite topic. Smoothie bowl toppings! This is where it gets fun. Here are the best toppings for smoothies bowls:
- nuts: almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, pistachios
- seeds: hemp seeds, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds
- nut butters: peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, hazelnut butter, homemade or store-bought
- seed butters:tahini, sunflower seed butter
- dried fruit: goji berries, mulberries, chopped dates, rasins, chopped figs, chopped prunes
- fats: cacao nibs, flaked coconut, shredded coconut, coconut butter
Also Check: Best Milk For Weight Loss Smoothies
What Ingredients Are In A Blueberry Banana Smoothie Bowl
The definition of simpleyou just need a few ingredients to pull this banana blueberry smoothie bowl together. Heres what youll need:
- Frozen Blueberries 1 cup frozen blueberries add a sweet and tart flavor and loads of antioxidants.
- Frozen Banana 1 sliced-then- frozen banana gives this smoothie bowl its lucious and thick texture.
- Milk a ½ cup of the milk of your choice helps blend all the ingredients together to a smooth texture.
- Protein Powder 1 scoop of protein powder is an easy add to get an extra serving of protein added to your day. .
Best Blender For Smoothies
I have to recommend a Vitamix. I know its an investment but ever since I got one I now understand the Vitamix craze. Its a smoothie game-changer and I use it at least twice a day for everything from sauces to dips, smoothies, matcha, soups, dressings, you name it.
I bought a refurbished Vitamix so it was little more affordable than a brand new one. They come just like new with a full warranty so its a great option if you dont want to shell out for a new one. Mine came to $400 which I can totally get on board with for something I use so often and I know will last for years.
I got the model with just a switch and a dial. I didnt want all the fancy digital buttons. I also got the shorter container which has been great but I would recommend the taller one if you plan on making small portions. I dont have the single-serving attachment but if anyone has it, let me know what you think because I do miss that feature from my Ninja Blender!
Get Smoother Smoothies, Shop Vitamix! I really cant recommend one enough, especially to take your soups and smoothies to the next level.
If a Vitamix isnt in the works for you right now, Ninja Blender is a great options too. I had one for years and it was more than adequate. I even made nut butters, hummus and all my no-bake bar recipes in it. Its a fantastic option for under $100.
Read Also: Most Healthy Smoothies For Weight Loss
How To Make A Blueberry Smoothie Bowl
Smoothies come in all shapes, flavors, and consistencies. Some are great for a hot day on the boardwalk while others make a refreshing treat during a busy day working or traveling. Topped with toasted walnuts and shaved coconut, this Blueberry Smoothie Bowl was designed to boost your morning with flavor and energy. Try different kinds of nuts to mix up the flavor of this tasty smoothie!
Greek yogurt provides a creamy base for this smoothie, while juicy North Bay Produce blueberries give it lots of flavor. But chia seeds and protein powder do a lot of heavy lifting, too! These energizing, replenishing ingredients make this smoothie a filling beginning to your day or help you recover after your daily workout. For extra protein, try adding peanut butter powder. You can also swap the sugar for maple syrup, stevia, or agave syrup.
How Eat Acai Powder
It’s safe to take 1 -2 teaspoons of acai powder daily with food or drinks. Simply blend acai powder with your favorite fruits and milk and make refreshing smoothie. Mix acai powder into a yogurt or sprinkle it on top of your morning oatmeal. Its also delicious with desserts like frozen yogurt and makes a wonderful addition to chia seed pudding. This Blueberry Acai Smoothie Bowl is just one delicious way to enjoy this powerful berry powder.
Also Check: What Are Some Good Smoothie Recipes
Difference Between A Smoothie And A Smoothie Bowl
Besides the obvious difference that a smoothie is consumed with a straw and a smoothie bowl requires a spoon, here are other differences between a smoothie and a smoothie bowl:
- Smoothies are thinner in consistency, while smoothie bowls are a lot thicker and have a lot more texture.
- Many smoothie recipes include yogurt to enhance their creaminess, whereas smoothie bowls use frozen fruit and less liquids.
- You can have fun with the toppings you add to a smoothie bowl. On the contrary, a smoothies ingredients are all blended up together into liquid form.
Blueberry Almond Greek Yogurt Smoothie
Guys, this Blueberry Almond Greek Yogurt Smoothie isnÃ¢t just one of my newest smoothie recipes, but I really think itÃ¢s one of my best. If youÃ¢ve been around here awhile, you know IÃ¢m a big fan of smoothies, and thatÃ¢s not about to change as the cooler weather starts to roll in. My Blueberry Almond Greek Yogurt Smoothie is light and refreshing, just as a good smoothie should be, but itÃ¢s got a little bit more depth to it with the addition of almond butter and greek yogurt. Not only are these two ingredients flavor powerhouses in a smooth, but theyÃ¢re both packed with healthy fats and protein to keep you full!
HereÃ¢s what you need for this Blueberry Almond Greek Yogurt Smoothie:
- Almond milkÃ¢ you can also use your favorite milk, but I like to use almond milk to keep it dairy free
You May Like: How To Make A Delicious Fruit Smoothie
Don’t Miss: Blueberry And Banana Smoothie Recipe
Tips To Make A Blueberry Smoothie Bowl Super Thick Without Banana
USE ONLY FROZEN BLUEBERRIES. Fresh blueberries will not work in smoothie bowls!
USE JUST A BIT OF MILK. I use about cup milk per 1 cup of any frozen fruit.
KEEP BLENDING! Keep your blending your smoothie until there are no chunks of blueberries left. You may need to turn off your blender and scrape down the sizes, or, use your blender tamper to push frozen blueberries down to the blades.
ENJOY IMMEDIATELY. Smoothie bowls do not store well, so add your toppings and enjoy before it melts!
Want more tips on how to make a thick smoothie bowl? Read my full post here!
How To Make A Protein Smoothie Bowl With Blueberries
Making a smoothie bowl is a two-step process and goes quick! This recipe yields one serving, so feel free to double or triple the batch as needed.
Check out this short video to see what a perfect smoothie-bowl texture looks like:
While this smoothie is thick enough to be eaten with a spoon if youd like to pack this in a to-go container and sip it through a straw, just pour-in additional almond milk as it blends until you achieve the desired consistency.
Also Check: How Do You Make A Healthy Fruit Smoothie
This Blueberry Smoothie Bowl Is The Perfect Start To Your Morning Filled With Greek Yogurt Bananas And Blueberries And So Simple To Make
I was never a greek yogurt fan until a few months ago, which probably surprises you since you’re here for this Blueberry Smoothie Bowl recipe! Then, I read about how great it is for you! Less sugar, fewer carbs and more protein than the normal yogurt I’ve lived on for my lifetime.
The problem is, I don’t love the thicker texture or the extra tanginess that comes with it. So, I have to add mix ins. Some honey, a little jam or fresh fruit. Lately, I’ve been trying to eat it for breakfast every morning to get good bacteria in my belly for the day.
One of my new favorite ways to work greek yogurt in every morning are smoothie bowls! This Blueberry Smoothie Bowl is so easy to make, and a beautiful way to start your day!
I use frozen fruit, like bananas and blueberries to get the right texture for these smoothie bowls. If you like your smoothie bowls super thick, just freeze the yogurt beforehand. This makes it the texture of ice cream. Ice cream for breakfast? Sign me up!
Your options are limitless to make an awesome smoothie bowl. Just use the ratios in the smoothie bowl recipe below and substitute any frozen fruit! Top with fresh fruit, nuts, acai, shaved coconut, or even chocolate chips! I think having beautiful, colorful food makes it easier to eat healthy. My son even loves these blueberry smoothie bowls!
If you love this recipe, I think you’ll also love a few other recipes I’ve posted, like:
Berry Smoothie With Oatmeal
Turn your oatmeal into a luscious smoothie with this recipe.
Its brimming with a melody of berries and a handful of oats. And we cant forget the almond milk, of course.
Its fast, vegan-friendly, and perfectly sweet.
Im fond of blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries, but you can use whatever you prefer.
Just make sure theyre frozen, so your smoothie turns out cold rather than room temp.
Remember the Orange Julius?
While the mall may no longer be the hangout spot, you can bring back memories with this orange smoothie.
This whimsical delight has all the nostalgia of childhood without the heavy dose of added sugar.
It calls for just four ingredients and is a snap to whip up.
Not only will the kids love these smoothies, but parents will also approve of the ingredients.
Raspberry lovers will go nuts over this recipe for breakfast or an afternoon boost.
Raspberries have a sweet and tart fruity taste that does wonders in a creamy smoothie.
Oats help thicken this one up, while bananas add a natural sweetness.
A dollop of Greek yogurt is a fine choice for adding in probiotics and making it even more creamy.
As for the almond milk, I prefer the unsweetened kind. But if you want to make this taste more like dessert, vanilla almond milk works too.
This green dream is an easy way to get more leafy greens in your diet.
Its practically glowing with immune-boosting ingredients and has a delightful flavor to match.
Spinach is my top choice, but you can use kale too.
Recommended Reading: Smoothies For Crohn’s Flare Up
Frozen Fruit Smoothie Recipes
Youre probably aware that eating a diet rich in fruits and veggies is good for you. Smoothies are an easy way to incorporate more of the good stuff into your diet.
I love using frozen fruits in my smoothies. It saves me a lot of time and makes smoothies even more refreshing and delicious!
A little down below youll find my favorite frozen fruit smoothie recipes. But before well get to the recipes, here are a few tips on why and how to make frozen fruit smoothies
Health Benefits Of Blueberries
I think youre probably familiar with the health benefits of blueberries by now but a quick review cant hurt. I find the more I know about the benefits of foods, the easier it is to include them in my diet on a regular basis. Here are just a few of the benefits of blueberries:
- theyre antioxidant rich and help to protect our bodies from the damage done by free radicals
- the anthocyanins in blueberreis help proteinct against high blood pressure
- eating blueberries could improve memory and cognition by fighting free radicals that damange the brain
- a compound in blueberries called pterostilbene may help protect against colon cancer
- they have anti-inflammatory properties so are a great food for athletes and those suffering from an auto-immune disease such as arthritis
- 1 cup contains 25% of your daily vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant
- they contain iron, calcium, magnesium, vitamin K, manganese and zinc, all of which are important in maintaining healthy bones
- they fibre they contain helps reduce cholesteorl levels and decease the risk of heart disease
- the vitamin B6 and folate they contain may help reduce the risk of heart attack
Those are just a few of the deets on blueberries. Like any berry, blueberries are low in sugar, high in fibre and an excellent food to include in your diet regularly. Plus, they taste amazing, so why not, right?!
Also Check: Everyday Smoothies For Weight Loss
Tips For Making Super Thick Smoothie Bowls
What To Add To The Blueberry Smoothie For Extra Flavor
- Replace the yogurt: If you want to make the smoothie without the yogurt, use a frozen banana instead of a fresh one. Youll still get the creamy consistency without watering it down.
- Aromatics: add a pinch of cardamom, cinnamon, or even basil.
- Acai: its a great addition to sweet wild blueberries and this smoothie.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice to lift the flavor and brighten the smoothie.
- Making this blueberry smoothie for breakfast? Add some oatmeal. Not only are oats amazingly healthy, but theyll also keep you fuller for longer. Add 2-3 tbsps of oat flour to the blender or blend your oats until they look like powder. Then add the other ingredients of the perfect blueberry smoothie recipe.
- Want some more veggies? Kale, spinach and even frozen peas all compliment blueberry and are a great way to sneak healthy greens into a fruity smoothie.
Recommended Reading: Delicious Healthy Smoothies For Weight Loss