Why We Love This Recipe
- Refined sugar-free. The only sugars you will find in this smoothie are the natural fruit sugars and their nutrients.
- Healthy snack or light meal. Full of nutrients , serve this smoothie as a light breakfast, snack, or pick-me-up any time of day.
- Quick & easy. Ready in under 5 minutes, its perfect when you are hangry and need something fast.
When you crave something light and healthy, this blueberry and banana smoothie recipe is the best!
Its a celebration of whole food plant based ingredients that taste great together!
Recipe Ingredients And Substitutions:
- Frozen Wild Blueberries: Wild blueberries are frozen at peak freshness, and loaded with 33% more brain-healthy anthocyanins than ordinary blueberries. Their smaller size means twice the berries and therefore twice the antioxidants in every sip!
- Frozen Banana: Banana is good in smoothies because it adds natural sweetness and makes the smoothie thick and creamy. If you dislike bananas, you could substitute another starchy fruit like avocado for creaminess.
- Spinach: A handful of fresh spinach secretly slips in extra nutrients. Smoothies are one of the best ways to front-load your day with nutrient-rich greens.
- Silk® Vanilla Oatmilk: The creaminess of this oatmilk makes the smoothie all the more crave-worthy. You can just taste the decadence with every sip, yet feel good about what youre sipping on first thing in the morning. Plus, this oatmilk has 50% more calcium than dairy milk!
- Hemp Seeds: These tiny yet mighty seeds are a great source of plant-based protein and omega-3 fatty seeds. Alternatively, you can use chia or flax seeds.
- Peanut Butter: To give the smoothie more staying power, I always add 1 to 2 tablespoons of nut butter. I love the nutty richness of peanut butter, however you can also use almond or cashew butter.
Optional Add-Ins: This smoothie has some protein from the hemp seed and peanut butter. However, if you want to add protein powder or collagen for after a workout, add 1 scoop of your preferred powder .
Healthy Banana Blueberry Smoothie Recipe
This healthy banana blueberry smoothie tastes so good you will want it every day! Easy to make, good for you and great-tasting, this must be the best blueberry banana smoothie!
Are you looking for a way to mix up your healthy banana smoothies? Or looking for a way to get the health benefits of blueberries in to a smoothie form? Or may you just love the taste o blueberries and bananas together. Well, this healthy banana smoothie recipe is for you!
It is really easy to make, is super-versatile, and has many health benefits. It even tastes so good that it may well become a go-to favourite smoothie for you!
Read Also: What Should I Put In My Smoothie
Blueberry Banana Smoothie Ingredients
Like I mentioned above, this smoothie recipe only requires four main ingredients .
- Blueberries: Start off with 1 cup of blueberries. These provide the best flavor in this smoothie and are also responsible for that pretty purple color.
- Banana: Next up, 1 banana adds sweet, creamy oomph to this recipe.
- Yogurt: For consistency, well be using ½ cup of vanilla yogurt. This will add a subtle flavor while also giving the smoothie a thicker texture. You can use your favorite dairy-free version if youd like.
- Milk: Finally, the liquid! I recommend using ½ to 1 cup of milk, depending on how thick or runny youd like the smoothie to be. You can use a dairy-free option here too.
- Optional: Here is the fun part! You can add whatever youd like to the top of your smoothie. I recommend a spoonful of your favorite nut butter and a bit of granola!
Favorite Blueberry Banana Smoothie
This post may contain affiliate links. If you shop from one of our links, we may earn a commission.
This quick and easy Blueberry Banana Smoothie is a great option for breakfast, snack time, or even dessert. It packs Vitamin C, potassium, healthy fats, and fiber to keep little bellies full and happy.
Don’t Miss: How To Make A Great Fruit Smoothie
Ingredients In This Blueberry Banana Smoothie
This blueberry banana smoothie is plant based and features beautiful healthy all fruit: with a little ice and water mixed in! You can also add protein to make it even more filling and nutritious . Here are the ingredients in this smoothie:
- Frozen blueberries: Frozen berries make just the right icy texture. We like making frozen blueberry smoothies because frozen berries are easy to store for using when the craving strikes.
- Banana: The banana helps to make a creamy texture and accentuate the sweetness.
- Water and ice: All you need is a little water and ice to get the perfect creamy texture .
- Fresh lemon juice: The citrus amps the flavors! You can also use fresh lime juice: whatever you have on hand.
Love plant based smoothies? Try these Top Vegan Smoothie Recipes!
Recipe Tips And Tricks
Look no further if youre looking for a few tips on how to make this smoothie better.
- To make this smoothie dairy-free, I have used almond milk and coconut milk. However, you can substitute it with your favorite or any other available plant-based milk e.g. soy milk, hemp milk, oat milk, etc.
- I enjoy adding frozen fruit to my smoothies because it gives them the texture and coldness of a milkshake. However, you can also use fresh fruits.
- Frozen fruit is more nutrient-dense than fresh fruit, why? Because its plucked when its perfectly ripe! On top of all that, the frozen smoothie texture is quite refreshing.
- This healthy smoothie can be made with plain low-fat Greek yogurt.
- Overripe bananas are ideal for smoothies. When theyre a little bit soft to consume on their own, cut them into pieces and freeze them for when youre craving a shake. Simply avoid using pieces that are excessively large, as this will cause your blender to burn.
You May Like: Green Smoothie Diet For Weight Loss
How To Make Blueberry Banana Oatmeal Smoothie
Start your Blueberry Banana Oatmeal Smoothie by adding your blueberries to the bottom of your blender. I like using frozen so I dont have to add ice.
Next add the banana, broken up to help with blending.
Followed by your oats.
And the flaxseeds, although you could also use flaxseed meal.
Then add the plain yogurt.
And the protein powder.
Finish with the cinnamon and nutmeg, before adding a bit of water to blend.
Blend together until smooth, adding more water or ice as necessary to achieve desired consistency.
Pour evenly into glasses to serve.
Garnish with additional banana slice if youre feeling fancy, and enjoy your Blueberry Banana Oatmeal Smoothie!
How To Make My Smoothie More Delicious And Nutritious
Make your smoothie even more delicious and nutritious by incorporating one or two of these additional ingredients!
- To add extra fiber and other nutrients, add a spoonful of chia seeds.
- Smoothies like this one with blueberries and bananas can be made even more filling by including a few spoonfuls of raw old-fashioned oats.
- This banana smoothies protein content can be increased by stirring in a tablespoon or two of peanut or almond butter.
- Cinnamon goes great with bananas, so add a touch of cinnamon to the mix.
- For a spicy kick, blend in 12 tsp. grated ginger.
- Cocoa powder can be added to the smoothie to make it taste chocolaty.
- For an herbaceous twist, add a few leaves of fresh basil or mint.
- If you want to make your smoothie sweeter, add in a tsp. or two of pure honey or maple syrup.
- You can also add your favorite protein powder.
- 1 cup of frozen berries can be replaced with 1 cup of frozen mangoes or peaches. This will also change the color slightly.
Recommended Reading: Lose Weight Fast Smoothie Diet Plan
Fresh Vs Frozen Ingredients In A Smoothie
I tend to keep some frozen blueberries in the freezer they are really handy to have on standby for popping into smoothies, or for mixing in when making overnight oats.
You can also use frozen banana slices either packaged ones bought from the frozen aisle of the supermarket, or, you can easily freeze your own bananas.
If you are using only fresh ingredients, or you want your smoothie extra cold and a little thicker, add in a few ice cubes.
Blueberry Banana Smoothie Recipe
School is in full swing around my house and we are slowly falling into our new daily routine.
Do you feel like you have found your groove yet?
It takes a while to find the right balance in the mornings trying to get the kids out of the door.
Smoothies help fuel my kids and I in the morning or after school as a snack.
I love that you can modify smoothies to what you have on hand too.
Blueberry Banana Smoothies are a really nice way to throw together a nutritious breakfast or snack on those busy days.
You can even prep small smoothie bags ahead of time with all of the ingredients in a medium freezer friendly ziplock bag and add the milk and yogurt when you are ready to make the smoothie.
We should talk for a minute about todays Blueberry Banana Smoothie Recipe.
It is filled with antioxidants, calcium, protein, omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins.
You guys loved my Blueberry Kale Smoothie so I knew I had to create another version.
If you are looking for a delicious smoothie to add to the morning mix or to refuel you in the afternoon, this is the one for you!
I have always like the combination of blueberries and pomegranate seeds together.
The blueberries compliment the pomegranate flavor nicely and the banana and honey of course add sweetness as well.
I usually use 2% milk but you can use any milk or dairy substitute.
You May Like: Best Morning Smoothie For Energy And Weight Loss
How To Make A Banana Blueberry Smoothie:
This truly could not be easier! You only need a handful of simple ingredients and about 5 minutes. Just don’t forget to freeze your fruit the night before — it’s the key to an icy cold, super-thick shake!
- Greek yogurt
- Ice cubes
Step 1: Freeze the Fruit!
One key to the thick, creamy texture of this smoothie is definitely the FROZEN bananaand blueberries! Dont skip that step! Its a great way to use up overripe bananas, too.
When you have dark bananas on your counter, just peel them, slice them, and wrap them individually. Stick the sliced bananas into the freezer and pull them out as you need them. Similarly, you can freeze fresh blueberries in ½-cup portions, or you can purchase a bag of frozen blueberries at the store.
Step 2: Place all of the Ingredients in a Blender
Add the banana, blueberries, yogurt, milk, salt and ice cubes to the blender.
Step 3: Puree until Smooth
Blend until thick, creamy and smooth!
Health Benefits Of Yogurt
Yogurt is another great way of getting good-for-you nutrients in to your body fast, and a banana and blueberry smoothie with yogurt is a great-tasting way of doing that.
Yogurt contains a lot of calcium, which is great for your teeth and bones. It is also high in vitamin B12 and riboflavin, which may protect against heart disease. Yogurt is also packed with phosphorus, magnesium and potassium, which help to regulate blood pressure, help with bone health, and help to regulate your metabolism.
You May Like: Best Smoothies To Lose Belly Fat
Whats The Best Milk To Use In Smoothies
I prefer to use unsweetened plain nondairy milk such as Ripple Milk, Silk Protein Nut Milk, or soy milk. Those options have protein, calcium, and vitamin D , though you can really use any milk option that you like.
TIP: I find that dairy milk has a tendency to separate a bit when used in a smoothie that wont be consumed right away, so use nondairy milk if you plan to make this ahead.
Are Smoothies Good For You
If youre wondering which smoothies are good for weight loss, youll have to look at the ingredients. You can fill your glass with nourishing fruits, vegetables, vitamins and minerals, or you can purchase a store-bought smoothie thats loaded with sugar, fat and calories.
This healthy smoothie recipe is perfect for almost any diet or nutritional goals because it can be adapted to suit your needs. Add nut butter for healthy fats, use vegan ingredients for a plant-based option, or throw in some spinach for an undetectable veggie boost!
You May Like: Florida Georgia Line Smoothie King Center
Peanut Butter Blueberry Banana Smoothie
This creamy 4-ingredient peanut butter blueberry banana smoothie makes the perfect healthy breakfast or snack. Top this easy blueberry banana smoothie with your favorite granola, extra banana slices and blueberries, and a drizzle of peanut butter! Options to add extra protein or sneak in veggies, too.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my policy page.
I used to LIVE for big breakfasts. In fact, some nights I go to bed dreaming about what Im going to wake up to the next morning.
Maybe a plate full of pancakes with a side of bacon on a weekday with a piping hot coffee? Hell yes, then Im your girl. Or maybe a big bowl of creamy thick oats topped with banana slices & drizzled with peanut butter? Forever a classic.
The whole big breakfast thing kinda flew out the window since having a baby. These days Tony is in charge of breakfast but when hes not around to make me something, I resort to my go-to quick, easy and nutritious breakfast love: SMOOTHIES.
Lately, this gorgeous peanut butter blueberry banana smoothie has been my go-to in the mornings. You only need 4 ingredients, plus its easy, quick and you can easily add in a variety of options to make it your own.
Blueberry Banana Smoothie + Video
My blueberry banana smoothie is creamy, healthy, and delicious. Blend up this easy fruit smoothie recipe for breakfast, dessert, or whenever!
I really cant get enough smoothies in my diet. Not only are they delicious, but theyre a great way to get some much needed nutrients and energy boosters into your system. And did I mention theyre delicious?
Don’t Miss: Low Carb Breakfast Smoothie For Weight Loss
Ingredients For Blueberry Banana Smoothie
Blueberries: Blueberries are an important part of this recipe. If possible, choose organic blueberries and select large, plump blueberries for the greatest flavor. If fresh blueberries are unavailable, frozen blueberries can be used.
Bananas: Bananas are a popular ingredient in smoothies for good reason. They thicken, sweeten, and give a smoothie a creamy feel. Thats why I make a blueberry smoothie with bananas. Dates, pears, avocado, or applesauce can be used in place of the banana.
Almond milk: Almond milk is my preferred liquid, but you may substitute regular cow milk or even water. The almond milk adds a rich flavor to the smoothie, and if you choose the right kind, its a good source of calcium.
Flaxseed: Your favorite smoothie will benefit from the addition of ground flaxseed, which is high in vitamins and minerals. The seeds have a pleasant nutty flavor that goes well with almost any fresh fruit or liquid. They are a rich source of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. Plant omega-3s are found in about 1.8 grams per tablespoon of ground flaxseed.
Coconut Milk: Makes it ultra-creamy and smooth. Coconut milk, in addition to having a delicious taste, will help you stay fuller for longer.
How To Freeze Fruit For Smoothies
To make smoothies even easier, freeze fresh fruit into portions. You can even prepare smoothie packs and freeze them for a grab and blend smoothie option.
To freeze fruit for smoothies, rinse and chop fresh fruit into small pieces. Pat them dry then arrange, in one layer, on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Slide the baking sheet into the freezer and freeze until hard . The method for bananas is no different, simply peel them, slice and then freeze on the baking sheet.
When the fruit is hard, divide it between freezer-safe bags and keep in the freezer for your next smoothie.
You May Like: Good Fruit Combos For Smoothies
Cook’s Tips And Recipe Variations:
- Using frozen fruit is the key to a thick, creamy smoothie. I like to slice overripe bananas, wrap them individually, and then stash them in the freezer to grab for smoothies whenever we need them.
- You can start with fresh blueberries or you can purchase a bag of unsweetened frozen blueberries in the freezer section at the grocery store.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice to the smoothie for a bright, fresh burst of flavor.
- We use vanilla flavored Greek-style yogurt, but you can substitute with plain Greek yogurt to reduce the amount of sugar in the smoothie. If you’re using plain yogurt, I suggest adding a dash of vanilla extract for flavor, as well as a bit of honey or other sweetener of choice .
- I use 2% milk in the smoothies because that’s what my boys prefer however, you can substitute with any variety of milk or non-dairy milk alternative .
- Make a Banana Blueberry Spinach Smoothie by adding a handful of baby spinach leaves to the blender. It won’t change the taste of the smoothie, but it will add some great nutrients!
- Prepare a Blueberry Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie by adding a tablespoon or two of peanut butter to the blender for staying power and healthy fats.
- Make it a Blueberry Banana Oatmeal Smoothie by including a ¼-cup of raw oats in the blender. It will thicken the drink, add fiber, and make it even more filling.