Can I Use Fresh Strawberries And/or Frozen Bananas
If you do use fresh strawberries, I would recommend using frozen banana chunks.
If you want to use all fresh fruit, you other option is to add ice, which I do not recommend. Why? It waters down the taste of the smoothie. So be sure and use at least some frozen fruit to get the best taste.
If you use frozen everything, it usually becomes too thick and tough to blend. When I have done this in the past, I end up adding more almond milk, which again, waters down the fruity taste. So I like and recommend using a combination of frozen and fresh fruit best.
Strawberry Banana Smoothie Ingredients:
To make this strawberry banana smoothie recipe, you will need the following ingredients :
- Frozen strawberries: Or you can sub in any other kind of frozen berries that you have on hand.
- Banana: I typically just use fresh bananas. But if you have frozen sliced bananas, you can omit some of the ice in this recipe.
- Milk: Any type of milk will work for this recipe cows milk, almond milk, oat milk, you name it.
- Ice: However much is needed to achieve your desired smoothie consistency.
- Optional add-ins: See ideas below!
Tips For Making Smoothies
Here are a few tips for making the best smoothies possible:
- Start with ripe fruit. High quality fruit means better taste which makes a delicious smoothie.
- Use frozen fruit. Frozen fruit makes for a creamier, more refreshing smoothie.
- You dont need ice. Since youre using frozen fruit, theres also no need to include ice in the mixture. Your smoothie will be much more flavorful this way because the ice wont dilute the other ingredients.
- Plan ahead. Measure out the fruit for a few batches of smoothies into separate zip-top freezer bags. When its smoothie time, add the contents of one bag to the blender along with the milk and yogurt for a super quick breakfast or snack.
Also Check: Great Tasting Smoothies For Weight Loss
Make Ahead And Meal Prep
Meal Prep: Place 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1 banana cut into chunks, and half of a 5-oz. container of yogurt into a freezer safe storage bag. Place in freezer until ready to use.
Day of Serving: Let bag of fruit and yogurt thaw slightly at room temperature for 15-20 minutes. Add fruit and yogurt to a blender with ¼ cup milk and 1 tablespoon honey and blend until smooth.
Only Have Fresh Fruit
If you only have fresh fruit, then you have a couple of options.
Read Also: Healthy Yummy Smoothies For Breakfast
How To Make Smoothies Thicker
Youll notice in a lot of my smoothie recipes that I opt to use frozen fruit rather than ice. While ice is nice in adding instant chill and bulk to smoothies, Ive found that it makes them too watery .
Instead, I like to freeze fruit and throw that into the smoothie to make it thicker and more frosty. In this Strawberry Banana Smoothie, were using frozen strawberries for their convenience and cost efficiency, but you can also peel, chop, and freeze your bananas ahead of time for smoothies. I like to do this with my soon-to-go-bad bananas to give them a second shot at life.
How Do You Make A Smoothie Thicker
The key to a thick smoothie is to use frozen fruit and a high powered blender . Were already using frozen strawberries, but feel free to also pre-freeze your banana and use that.
If your smoothie still isnt thick enough try adding in more frozen fruit, a scoop of Greek yogurt, protein powder, and/or rolled oats.
Read Also: Smoothie With Almond Milk And Yogurt
How To Create Smoothie Variations
Its pretty awesome that it only takes a few simple ingredients to make a really great strawberry banana smoothie. Its perfect as-is, and its easy to create variations with more healthy, delicious add-ins, like:
If youre interested in adding more fat and protein to this smoothie, check out my similarly yummy Strawberry, Banana, & Coconut Oil Smoothie Recipe.
Another alternative to a smoothie in a glass is a smoothie bowlcheck out my Beet & Berry Rainbow Smoothie Bowl Recipe.
Do You Add Sweetener To A Strawberry Banana Smoothie
I never need it. That is one of the things I love about this smoothie. The banana is enough to make sure everything is sweet and creamy. And usually the strawberries bring some sweetness too.
Many smoothie shops and fast food places add sugar to their smoothies. While I am not opposed to sugar I do not prefer to add it to things when it is not necessary.
You can always taste is first while it is still in the blender. If you want more sweetness, feel free to add some honey, agave, or sweetener of choice and blend for a few more seconds to combine.
Recommended Reading: Healthy Non Dairy Smoothie Recipes
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 Spoon the yogurt and milk into the blender container first, so that the blades will start rotating quickly rather than getting hung up on the hard, frozen fruit.
- tip 2 Strawberry-banana is one of the most popular fruit combos for smoothies, but if you find yourself with an overload of other ripe fresh fruit, get to work creating your own freezer pantry. To freeze fruits, sort, wash, and drain completely on a clean kitchen towel. Prep fruits as you would for serving by removing stems, coring, peeling, and slicing. Small whole fruits such as berries and cherries can be frozen individually, then placed in ridged covered containers or freezer bags. Freeze ripe bananas, in halves, so theyre ready and waiting too.
- tip 3 Almond, coconut, rice, flax, and hemp milk are all terrific lactose-free milk substitutions that make delicious smoothies.
- tip 4 Any flavor of yogurt can be spooned into the blenderthere are no rules.
How Many Servings Is This Smoothie
Honestly, I would say 1-2.
It truly depends on whether you are enjoying it as a drink or as more of a meal replacement.
If you are adding in fat, fiber, and protein, I definitely think this would be more like 2 servings.
As is, I can definitely enjoy this as one giant smoothie!
See below on how to make it a meal replacement.
Read Also: Best Product To Make Smoothies
Strawberry Banana Smoothie Recipe
This strawberry banana smoothie recipe is made with just three ingredients. You cant go wrong with this simple and delicious smoothie!
This strawberry banana smoothie could not be any simpler.
With easy ingredients and a blender, you can make this at home in just 5 minutes.
Kids and adults alike will love this smoothie recipe!
Strawberry and banana is such a classic favorite flavor combination, just like the favorite peanut butter banana smoothie is.
How To Freeze Fresh Fruit For Smoothies
For the coldest, creamiest smoothie possible, use quality frozen fruit. Store-bought frozen fruit is a convenient option and is especially handy when berry season is long gone. Keep bags tightly closed and consistently frozen to avoid icy, dull-tasting fruit.
Its also easy to freeze fresh ripe fruit, and its a great option when strawberries are dirt cheap at the supermarket or you bought a few too many bananas.
To freeze strawberries: Give them a good wash, drain, and let them completely dry. Cap the berries and slice them in half, placing on a parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer. Theyll keep for two months.
To freeze bananas: Simply peel and slice into chunks. Stick the baking sheet full of fruit in the freezer for at least an hour, or until the fruit is frozen solid. Scoop into a zip-top freezer bag, squeeze out the air, and seal. Frozen bananas will keep for a month.
Recommended Reading: Six Star Instant Protein Smoothie Walmart
Strawberry & Banana Smoothies
Recipe may contain milk and lactose.
- 1 x 250g punnet strawberries, hulled, washed
- 2 overripe bananas, coarsely chopped
- 750ml milk
- 260g vanilla-flavoured yoghurt
- Select all ingredients
- Place half the strawberries
Unsure of the quantity needed?
OK, Got It , banana , milk milk) and yoghurt vanilla-flavoured yoghurt) in the jug of a blender and blend until smooth. Pour evenly among 3 serving glasses.
- Repeat with the remaining strawberries, banana, milk and yoghurt. Serve immediately.
Did you make this?
All quantities above are averages
We collect information about the content you use across this site and use it to make both advertising and content more relevant to you on our network and other sites. This is also known as Online Behavioural Advertising. You can find out more about our policy and your choices, including how to opt-outhere.
How To Make Strawberry Banana Smoothie
Making this creamy beauty is quite easy. It will take you 5 minutes . You will only need a good blender.
- Start with preparing and measuring all the ingredients. I like to use measuring cups.
- Take the blender and add all ingredients. Note: add wet ingredients first for easier blending. Also, add in ice cubes, if using.
- Mix everything at high speed until you get a smooth silky texture.
- If the smoothie is too thick, add a little more liquid milk or water. Blend again until everything is well combined.
- Taste the smoothie and add additional sweetener if the smoothie is not sweet enough. I recommend using 1-2 soaked dates, date syrup, raw honey or maple syrup, stevia, or any low-carb sweetener. This is totally based on your preference.
- Transfer the smoothie into a tall glass.
- ADD TOPPINGS: I used banana slices and cacao nibs. Be creative here and add toppings you like.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Makes 1 cup that serves 1 person or 2 servings as a snack.
Recommended Reading: Why Use Almond Milk In Smoothies
Strawberry Banana Smoothie: Easy Recipe + 6 Variations
I love having a strawberry banana smoothie for breakfastits an oldie-but-goodie that never gets old! Its a bright, well-balanced drink that is light yet fills you up without being heavy or slowing down your digestion.
Plus, this delicious strawberry banana smoothie is loaded with beneficial fiber, electrolytes, and antioxidants that make me feel like Im starting my day on such a vibrant note.
Is it okay to drink just a smoothie for breakfast? That totally depends on you, but a healthy smoothie recipe like this one can make a perfect start to your day. If you want a higher-protein breakfast, you can add a scoop of vanilla protein powder It also makes meal plans for the week quicker and easier, too.
Do bananas and strawberries go together? If ever there was a perfectly matched fruit pair, it has to be strawberry and banana. After all, its one of the most popular smoothie flavors.
While strawberries are bright and slightly tart, bananas are creamy and sweet. You really cant beat the delicious and classic flavor combo it just never goes out of style.
How To Make A Strawberry Banana Smoothie
So, easy, the kids can do it, thats how! Easy fruit smoothie recipes start off with fresh or frozen strawberries and bananas. I prefer to use frozen fruit if I have it, this means I dont need to add any ice to make it cold or water it down. Lots of supermarkets sell frozen smoothie fruit medleys so its easier than ever! If your fruit is not frozen, youll want to add some ice to give it a frosty chill.
Don’t Miss: How To Make A Dairy Free Smoothie
The Right Blender For Smoothies
There is no wrong blender for smoothies. Youll want a blender that has a fairly strong motor and can easily break down ice or frozen fruit. Depending on the other uses and frequency of use, a blender may or may not be an item youd like to splurge on.
My favorite picks
- I have a BlendTec blender which I love. I use it frequently for everything from smoothies, soups and hummus to caesar salad dressing.
- The Ninja Blender is a great price for a blender and perfect if youre looking for a solid blender under $100! This blender has great reviews with great reviews!
- If you dont blend a ton, it wouldnt make sense to invest in an expensive appliance. Consider a simple hand blender I use mine to blend soups like my 20 Minute Broccoli Cheese Soup.
- I also have a magic bullet blender thats perfect for smoothies, blending spices and I even use it to make fresh bread crumbs.
A Healthy And Nutritious Strawberry Banana Smoothie
Berries have numerous health benefits, and this recipe has 10 ounces of berries total! It has 3 grams of total fat, 175 calories, the total carbohydrate count is 35 grams.
- Rich in antioxidants: Berries are rich in antioxidants such as anthocyanins, ellagic acid, and resveratrol. These antioxidants may protect your cells from damage from free radicals.
- Helps improve blood sugar: Berries are known to help improve blood sugar when consumed with high carb foods or included in smoothies.
- Good Source of Fiber: Strawberries have 2 grams of fiber, and blackberries have nearly 6 grams of fiber per 3.5 ounce serving. The total amount of fiber in this recipe is 12 grams. Fiber helps with digestion and helps you feel fuller longer!
- Good Source of Vitamin C: Among other vitamins and nutrients, berries are particularly high in vitamin C, containing 35% of your daily intake in a 3.5 ounce serving.
- Berries Reduce Inflammation: Reducing inflammation helps to fight chronic conditions such as heart disease.
- Added Omega-3 Fatty Acids: The added chia seeds provide a boost of protein and healthy omega-3 fatty acids which are important for brain health.
You May Like: Organic Superfood Smoothie Mix Essential Living
Recipe Ingredients And Notes
Frozen Strawberries: Use fresh or frozen berries. I like using frozen fruit in my smoothies because I dont need to add ice cubes to make it thick, cold and creamy.
Frozen Blackberries: I use about ¼ cup of frozen blackberries. Use fresh if thats what you have.
Frozen Small Banana: Chop your banana into slices, place in the freezer overnight, and add to your smoothie in the morning. I always put my browning bananas in my freezer so that I have them ready whenever the mood strikes for a smoothie.
Almond Milk: I recommend using unsweetened almond milk so that you have control over the added sugar. You can also substitute almond milk for your favorite non-dairy milk such as soy, coconut, rice, or oat milk.
Non-Dairy Plain Yogurt: You can find non-dairy yogurt in the yogurt section of your grocery store. I buy a large tub, of plain non-dairy yogurt to have on hand. It makes for a delicious and healthy snack! You can find almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk, and oat milk based yogurts. Just be sure to get plain, unsweetened!
Maple Syrup: If you feel like this smoothie needs a touch more sweetness, add a tablespoon of maple syrup, but this is completely optional. The natural sweetness of the fruit is really all you need.
Chia Seeds: After you pour your smoothie into a glass sprinkle it with a ¼ teaspoon of chia seeds for added fiber, and omega-3s!
Expert Tips And Tricks
- Freeze fresh strawberries. Fresh strawberries will have the most flavor and will be the sweetest. Freezing them captures that flavor and still results in a cold and creamy consistency.
- Add extra nutrients. Make this smoothie even healthier by adding in spinach, protein powder, oats, and even more fruit.
- Start with the banana. Loading the blender with the softer ingredients next to the blade allows for easier mixing.
- Test for sweetness. The amount of sweetener you need depends on how sweet your fruit and yogurt is. Sample the smoothie then add the sweetener as needed to taste.
Recommended Reading: Mixed Berry Smoothie Recipe With Almond Milk
Strawberry Banana Smoothie Swaps And Substitutions
The great thing about smoothies is that you can add or switch out ingredients to make it your own. Here are some variations you can try:
- Make this smoothie dairy-free by using dairy-free yogurt and non-dairy milk such as almond or oat milk.
- You can leave out the yogurt all together.
- Use vanilla or strawberry yogurt for a sweeter smoothie. Alternatively, add up to 1 tablespoon of honey for added sweetness.
- Swap up to half of the milk for orange juice.
- Add up to 2 tablespoons of peanut or almond butter. Combined with the strawberries, it tastes like a PB& J smoothie.
- Add 2 teaspoons of chia seeds.
How To Store The Smoothie
You can make this strawberry banana smoothie for 2 3 days and refrigerate in glass bottles sealed with caps. Else just make a puree of strawberry and refrigerate and when planning to make smoothie in 1 2 days, add them to banana, milk in a blender or juicer. Blend it smooth.
You can also freeze the smoothie as well. Remove from freezer and defrost it for 1 hour or till it becomes in a state you can eat as smoothie bowl or as ice cream. Great snack in hot summers. Kids gonna love this too.
Recommended Reading: Vegan Breakfast Smoothies For Weight Loss
Why Are Frozen Oregon Strawberries So Good
Pop on over to oregon-strawberries.org to see why they’re so amazing. Here are a few of my favorite Oregon strawberry tidbits:
- Grown on family farms and picked at the peak of ripeness, Oregon strawberries are widely known for exceptional taste, and deep red color throughout
- The qualities that make our strawberries so wonderful to eat, make them difficult to ship long distances when fresh.
- More than 90% of our strawberries are frozen with 24 hours of being picked, to lock in maximum taste, color, and nutrition which means it’s really Oregon strawberry season 365 days a year!
- There are many different varieties of Oregon strawberries to ensure ripe, fresh strawberries from May to September