Easy Strawberry Banana Smoothie
All you need is 2 ingredients for the easiest, best strawberry banana smoothie recipe! Its so deliciously simple, youll find yourself making it on repeat.
Heres a smoothie recipe thats almost impossibly simple: this Strawberry Banana Smoothie! All you need is 2 ingredients, plus ice and water. Thats right: two ingredients! Its not often that our recipes are this easythough we do believe in keeping all things pretty simple. Blend up bananas and frozen strawberries and youve impossibly got the perfect smoothie texture and flavor: its creamy, sweet and fruity, with just enough banana essence. No yogurt, milk or sweetener needed! Its truly remarkable. In fact, we might give up our Perfect Strawberry Smoothie in favor of this one.
Benefits Of Greek Yogurt
I love Greek yogurt for a variety of reasons. First and foremost, it is an excellent source of protein and I usually buy full fat Greek yogurt to get all those healthy fats as well.
Pro tip: low-fat and fat-free products typically swap fat for sugar to make sure it still tastes good! Ill take fat over sugar any day. Its also loaded with probiotics which is important for a healthy gut and immune system!
Do You Add Sweetener To A Strawberry Banana Smoothie
I never need it. That is one of the things I love about this smoothie. The banana is enough to make sure everything is sweet and creamy. And usually the strawberries bring some sweetness too.
Many smoothie shops and fast food places add sugar to their smoothies. While I am not opposed to sugar I do not prefer to add it to things when it is not necessary.
You can always taste is first while it is still in the blender. If you want more sweetness, feel free to add some honey, agave, or sweetener of choice and blend for a few more seconds to combine.
Recommended Reading: Slim N Trim Strawberry
How Much Sugar Is In A Strawberry Banana Smoothie
Because strawberry banana smoothies are mostly fruit, they do tend to have a good amount of sugar. This homemade strawberry banana smoothie has 19 grams of sugar .
This is natural sugar and 19 grams is way less than most smoothies you can order at a smoothie shop. For instance, the Starbucks Strawberry Banana Smoothie has 58 grams of sugar!
The daily sugar intake recommendation for an average adult is about 25 grams of sugar day, even if its coming from natural sources. Just something to be aware of!
Ingredients Needed To Make A Strawberry Banana Smoothie
It doesnt get much easier than this! You only need a few simple ingredients:
- frozen banana frozen banana is the key to making smoothies with a creamy, thick texture. Just be sure to freeze your banana before you want to make this smoothie.
- strawberries I like to use fresh strawberries when theyre in season because I feel like theyre sweeter, but frozen strawberries work too and will make the smoothie extra thick.
- milk I like to use unsweetened almond milk, but any milk will do.
- yogurt adding a little yogurt boosts the protein and makes this smoothie more filling. I like using Greek yogurt in mine.
- honey this is optional, but it does help balance out the tart yogurt flavor.
Recommended Reading: Smoothie King Protein Powder
How To Freeze Fresh Fruit For Smoothies
For the coldest, creamiest smoothie possible, use quality frozen fruit. Store-bought frozen fruit is a convenient option and is especially handy when berry season is long gone. Keep bags tightly closed and consistently frozen to avoid icy, dull-tasting fruit.
Its also easy to freeze fresh ripe fruit, and its a great option when strawberries are dirt cheap at the supermarket or you bought a few too many bananas.
To freeze strawberries: Give them a good wash, drain, and let them completely dry. Cap the berries and slice them in half, placing on a parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer. Theyll keep for two months.
To freeze bananas: Simply peel and slice into chunks. Stick the baking sheet full of fruit in the freezer for at least an hour, or until the fruit is frozen solid. Scoop into a zip-top freezer bag, squeeze out the air, and seal. Frozen bananas will keep for a month.
Strawberry Banana Smoothie Faq
Are strawberry banana smoothies good for you?
Strawberry Banana Smoothies can be good for you. This recipe has added greek yogurt and protein powder to help make it more filling and high in protein while being low in fat.
What should you not mix in a smoothie?
There are really no wrong things to add into a smoothie. We try to not add a ton of fruit to our smoothies, only because theyre not as filing as if you were to add protein and yogurt to them.
Can you make a Strawberry Banana Smoothie ahead of time?
We wouldnt recommend making this smoothie ahead of time. Smoothies can separate after they sit for too long, and youd likely need to re-mix it up. You can slice your fruit ahead of time and put it in a container in the refrigerator to save time.
Do you need ice for a smoothie?
No you dont need ice for smoothies. Ice can help thicken a smoothie but its not necessary.
You May Like: Smoothie King Ingredients
What To Put In A Smoothie
Any number of great things can be put into a smoothie! Thats why they are so popular! The trick is creating the right ratio of vegetables & fruit so your creation is not only good for you, but tasty too !
The best thing about a smoothie is that its really easy to make your own!
- Milk: Cows milk, almond, rice, hemp, coconut the skys the limit!
- Juice: Lots of juices like apple, orange or grape can add a little sweetness and change up the flavor of this strawberry banana smoothie recipe.
- Yogurt: Greek yogurt or regular work. If youre using unsweetened yogurt, you might like to add a squeeze of honey to sweeten it.
- Just for Fun: Add in your favorites like chocolate syrup, almonds or peanut butter!
- Ice: If you use fruit that is not frozen, youll want to add some ice to give it a frosty chill.
Great Tools For The Best Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Personal Blender: this blender has a special spot on my kitchen counterits always at the ready for my daily smoothie. I love that this personal blender comes with two cupsone thats larger for a double serving smoothie, or a smaller one for a single serve. It runs/blends on its own while you go about your other tasks for the day. And, it stops right when the smoothie is done! How cool is that?
- Roomy Glass Straws: Ive been using these boba-ready glass straws for months now and I simply love them! Theyre extra wide so you can make the thickest smoothie and sip em like a boss. Plus, its easy to see if any gunk is stuck in them when youre washing them up and theyre beautiful/reusable. Yaaas!
- Vanilla Vegan Protein Powder: If youve read through my Best Vegan Protein Powder post, you know the things Erik and I went through in our search for the best plant-based protein powder. This one remained my very favorite. Be sure to try the chocolate version too.
So was this the most deliciousest strawberry banana smoothie recipe ever or what? Let me know what you think in the comments belowI truly love hearing from you. Thank you for stopping by and sharing in these kitchen moments with me and your loved ones. Til the next one
Sending you all my love and maybe even a dove, xo Demeter
Click below to Pin
Did you make this strawberry banana smoothie recipe? Take a pic and share it on with the hashtag #beamingbaker& tag . Id love to see it!
You May Like: Smoothie King Protein Shake
Pro Smoothie Making Tips
- I did not use ice. It is a personal preference, I feel like ice dilutes the flavor. To replace that frozen icy texture I normally freeze my bananas and add them into the blender fully frozen.
- That leads into this tip. Freeze your bananas! This is ideal for bananas that are on the edge of their expiration date. Take your over ripe banana, slice, and freeze in a small freezer safe bag or container. When ready to use in a smoothie add to your blender straight from the freezer.
- No fresh berries? No problem! Frozen berries work well in this recipe. I do let mine slightly thaw before adding.
- Switch up the type of milk and yogurt you use. This recipe is fairly simple to make. Swapping the milk can add a brand new flavor. Same with the yogurt. If plain yogurt is too tart for your tastes you could easily substitute your favorite yogurt flavor.
Tip For Blending A Strawberry Banana Smoothie
Add your milk to the blender first.
This will help make sure the blender works the best that it can, and has easy access to the liquid of the recipe.
If you do not have a high speed blender, you may need to add more milk to make it not as thick so that the blender can handle mixing the smoothie up.
If you dont care about thickness, you can make this more easily by splashing in some extra milk to help the blender out.
Its really whatever works for you!
Recommended Reading: 10 Day Detox Smoothie Recipe
Strawberry Banana Smoothie Swaps And Substitutions
The great thing about smoothies is that you can add or switch out ingredients to make it your own. Here are some variations you can try:
- Make this smoothie dairy-free by using dairy-free yogurt and non-dairy milk such as almond or oat milk.
- You can leave out the yogurt all together.
- Use vanilla or strawberry yogurt for a sweeter smoothie. Alternatively, add up to 1 tablespoon of honey for added sweetness.
- Swap up to half of the milk for orange juice.
- Add up to 2 tablespoons of peanut or almond butter. Combined with the strawberries, it tastes like a PB& J smoothie.
- Add 2 teaspoons of chia seeds.
Using Spinach In Smoothies
Spinach is probably one of the most popular smoothie greens. Many people love to add spinach to their smoothies because it has a very subtle taste that blends well with other ingredients so it becomes pretty much undetectable, except for its green hue!
When it comes to using spinach in smoothies, I recommend starting with a little and then moving to larger amounts once you are used to it. Start with 1/4 cup per serving and increase to as much as 1-2 cups per serving of smoothie.
For this recipe I used 1/4 cup of spinach as I wanted to keep the smoothie color pink.. I am an eat-with-my-eyes kind of person so when it comes to smoothies, I like to maintain an appealing color tone. Adding more spinach to this smoothie is totally fine but the color will become less pink and more of a green-brown tone.
Also Check: Smoothie King Center New Orleans Seating Chart
Can I Use Fresh Strawberries And/or Frozen Bananas
If you do use fresh strawberries, I would recommend using frozen banana chunks.
If you want to use all fresh fruit, you other option is to add ice, which I do not recommend. Why? It waters down the taste of the smoothie. So be sure and use at least some frozen fruit to get the best taste.
If you use frozen everything, it usually becomes too thick and tough to blend. When I have done this in the past, I end up adding more almond milk, which again, waters down the fruity taste. So I like and recommend using a combination of frozen and fresh fruit best.
Tips For Making Smoothies
Here are a few tips for making the best smoothies possible:
- Start with ripe fruit. High quality fruit means better taste which makes a delicious smoothie.
- Use frozen fruit. Frozen fruit makes for a creamier, more refreshing smoothie.
- You dont need ice. Since youre using frozen fruit, theres also no need to include ice in the mixture. Your smoothie will be much more flavorful this way because the ice wont dilute the other ingredients.
- Plan ahead. Measure out the fruit for a few batches of smoothies into separate zip-top freezer bags. When its smoothie time, add the contents of one bag to the blender along with the milk and yogurt for a super quick breakfast or snack.
Also Check: Mielle Organics Curl Smoothie
What Milk To Use In Your Strawberry Banana Smoothie
Another question I have been asked is what type of milk I suggest.
Any milk you have will work.
You wont really notice a flavor difference, or much of one.
I used 2% milk as it is what I had on hand, but you can use whole milk, almond milk, soy milk, whatever basic milk you have on hand.
Dairy free or dairy it wont make much of a difference.
No need to run to the store, just use what you have!
I hope you love this recipe as much as our family did!
more smoothie recipes you will love
How To Make A Smoothie With Yogurt
It really is that easy. I suggest checking out the tips above for easy ways to adjust the recipe. You can definitely add ice to this smoothie. We do not care for ice in our smoothies but have added it on occasion to thicken things up or give it a good chill.
Read Also: Smoothie King Center Box Office
Whats The Best Blender For Making Smoothies
Blenders have gotten so advanced in the past few years, that its hard to pick one that wont blend up a great smoothie! If youre blender shopping, here are the three blenders we recommend for daily smoothie-making:
- MOST AFFORDABLE: Cuisinart Immersion/Stick BlenderDont let its small size fool you, this tiny handheld blender is packed full of power, and will easily make a smoothie for you every day!
- MEDIUM: Ninja Professional BlenderFor under $100, you get an incredibly powerful blender that makes a dreamy, creamy smoothie. This was the blender we used in the Wholefully test kitchen for years, and its a great starter level, but still high-powered, blender.
- SPLURGE: Vitamix Professional BlenderA Vitamix is the top of the line when it comes to blenders, and its what we use every day in the Wholefully test kitchen. It comes with a hefty price tag , so if youre just blending a smoothie every now and again, there is no need to make the splurge. But if you do a lot of cooking or make a lot of smoothies or blended drinks, you might want to start saving your pennies for a Vitamix. Its a lifetime appliance that is a dream to use!
Almond Milk Vs No Milk
The decision to use milk or not in your smoothie is totally dependent on you. My husband hates milk in his smoothies, but I love it. Therefore, if you dislike milk in yours, then I would suggest using cold water.
The texture however would be different, and would have more of a slushy consistency if you do decide to use water. Overall, I think you should be okay in terms of flavor if you avoid milk all-together.
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe without milk.
Also Check: Smoothie King Concert Seating
What Do I Need For A Strawberry Banana Smoothie
Not only is this a super popular smoothie flavor, but it is also super simple! To make it, youll need:
- Frozen banana. The banana adds sweetness and creaminess, so it is one of my favorite smoothie ingredients to use.
- Frozen strawberries. You can use fresh strawberries too, but I prefer frozen. Frozen fruit serves to chill and thicken your smoothie, so you wont need to dilute the flavor with ice!
- Milk. You can use regular cows milk, unsweetened soy milk, or your unsweetened nut milk of choice. Coconut milk would give it a fun tropical twist.
- Plain Greek yogurt. This will help to thicken your smoothie.
- Honey or maple syrup. Bananas and strawberries can vary in sweetness, so youll want to give your smoothie a taste before adding any sweetener. You may be able to skip this ingredient entirely!
Strawberry Banana Smoothie Recipe
This healthy strawberry banana smoothie keeps well in the fridge, covered up to 2 days .
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or non-dairy milk of your choice or 2% milk if you tolerate dairy
- 2 small to medium bananas, peeled, broken into quarters & frozen
- 1012 medium strawberries , washed feel free to leave the green leaves on for extra fiber
- 2 teaspoons honey more or less to taste
- 1/2 cup filtered water
Keywords: Strawberry Banana Smoothie
Also Check: Smoothie King Interview Questions
A Strawberry Banana Smoothie Bowl Is Easy To Make
To my blender I add vibrant red frozen strawberries, ripe yellow bananas, sweet sticky dates and creamy almond milk.
I stick my finger into the creamy pink mixture for a taste and the flavors are a combination of sweet and tartoh the essence of springtime!
It is so simple, and ready in just a few minutes flat that I discover I have found a hidden gem that I will include in my repertoire of breakfast recipes.
I divide the delicious mixture between two bowls, top with freshly sliced strawberries, bananas and crunchy granola.
As my children see their breakfast bowls, their eyes sparkle with joy. Can a healthy breakfast bring that much joy and marvel to a morning?
Yes, a healthy breakfast can be that good.
I feel my shoulders relax and look around at the mess I created. It is absolutely minimal.
I spend only a few minutes cleaning up.
As I send my kids off to school for the day, I feel my morning mission was accomplished.
This Easy Healthy Strawberry Banana Smoothie Bowl Recipe is a 5 star breakfast any busy Mom can rock!