Are Smoothies That Healthy
Well, it depends on what you put in them! The benefit of smoothies is that you are using the whole fruit and/or vegetable so you get the fiber and all the nutrition that the particular fruits/vegetables you are using contain. Unlike juice where the juice is squeezed from the fruit/vegetable and you lose all the fiber and some nutritional value as well.
If you use fruits, vegetables and a healthy liquid base then your smoothie will be healthy. If you add sugar or use a juice base, your smoothie won’t be as healthy.
Your smoothie is only as healthy as the ingredients you put into it!
More Drinks To Sip On
Whether it is a quick breakfast or a fancy meal, the drink can make all the difference. Drinks can quench your thirst, warm you up or just help you unwind. Remarkably simple to make and full of flavor, drinks are just so fun to make and drink. Here are a few favorite, tried, and true drink recipes to try the next time you need something for a special occasion.
They May Stop Snack Attacks
Scientists have recently found that strawberries may reduce blood sugar spikes. These high-low sugar spikes cause cravings and affect mood, so by adding more strawberries to your diet you can avoid these feelings, reducing the temptation to snack on naughty bits.
Its suspected that the high levels of antioxidant polyphenols are responsible, which also help out the body in other ways. However, these studies were done in a test tube so more research is needed to prove that the same effect would happen in people.
Also Check: Keto Champ Berry Net Carbs
The Best Strawberry Smoothie
Even with such a seemingly basic recipe, theres actually a trick that makes some strawberry smoothies taste better than others.
The trick is to use frozen strawberries instead of adding ice, because this will result in a thicker and creamier smoothie with a much deeper strawberry flavor.
If using fresh strawberries, just cut off the stems and freeze them beforehand, or you can buy the berries already frozen. Before blending, thaw them just enough so they arent rock hard and can be easily blended.
Serve for breakfast, with homemade Vegan Donuts
How To Freeze Fruit For Smoothies
To make smoothies even easier, freeze fresh fruit into portions. You can even prepare smoothie packs and freeze them for a grab and blend smoothie option.
To freeze fruit for smoothies, rinse and chop fresh fruit into small pieces. Pat them dry then arrange, in one layer, on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Slide the baking sheet into the freezer and freeze until hard . For bananas, peel them, slice and then arrange on the baking sheet.
When the fruit is hard, divide it between freezer-safe bags and keep in the freezer for your next smoothie.
You May Like: 10 Day Smoothie Detox
What Do I Use To Make A Smoothie
There are many blenders you can use for making smoothies and milkshakes, but I personally own the Vitamix 780 and think it is simply the best. I get smooth, consistent results every single time which is exactly what I want for all my smoothies! You can buy your own Vitamix 780 HERE.
Are you ready for the recipe for this yummy strawberry smoothie? Alright…here goes!
Expert Tips And Tricks
- Freeze fresh strawberries. Fresh strawberries will have the most flavor and will be the sweetest. Freezing them captures that flavor and still results in a cold and creamy consistency.
- Add extra nutrients. Make this smoothie even healthier by adding in spinach, protein powder, oats, and even more fruit.
- Start with the banana. Loading the blender with the softer ingredients next to the blade allows for easier mixing.
- Test for sweetness. The amount of sweetener you need depends on how sweet your fruit and yogurt is. Sample the smoothie then add the sweetener as needed to taste.
Read Also: Smoothie King Center Virtual Seating
Blender Notes And Recommendations
- I recently purchased a new high-powered blender and absolutely love it .
- You do not need a high-dollar blender to make this strawberry blueberry smoothie. If you use a high powered blender , your smoothie will have a finer, more even consistency, but you can certainly make this recipe in a regular blender too. If your smoothie is too thick to blend, add more almond milk .
- I owned this more economical option for a while. While it doesnt get things as smooth as quickly as a high-powered blender or come with the same bells and whistles, its a good option for the price.
- I sip my smoothies through these stainless steel straws. They make everything you drink through them from smoothies, to iced tea or iced coffee, to even water taste extra refreshing. I also keep a few in my purse for when Im out and about, so I dont need to ask for a plastic or paper straw.
Ingredients For The Best Strawberry Smoothie
Simple and easy, these ingredients combine to make a refreshing drink ready for any occasion.
- Frozen strawberries: Using frozen strawberries thickens and cools the smoothie to be more like a milkshake.
- Greek Yogurt: Adds creaminess, and calcium. Use non-fat Greek Yogurt for less fat.
- Honey: Natural sweetener that has antioxidants in it as well.
- Apple Juice: Also adds a bit of sweetness, but minimal flavor.
Also Check: Evening Smoothies For Weight Loss
Additional Smoothie Making Tips
BEST SMOOTHIE BLENDER: I always get asked what blender I use to make my smoothies. My favorite blender to use is the Ninja Blender but its kinda pricey , so another favorite of mine thats less expensive is this blender.
USE FROZEN FRUIT:I like to use frozen strawberries instead of ice cubes in my smoothies. And to make it super easy, I just buy the chopped frozen strawberries in the frozen section of my grocery store, because Im all about making things quicker and easier!
FILL UP YOUR BLENDER:When putting the ingredients in your blender, layer the ingredients softest to hardest . So for this strawberry smoothie, first add the strawberry yogurt, vanilla almond milk, greens. Then add the frozen strawberries.
EXTRA SMOOTHIE LEFTOVER? If you have some leftover smoothie, you can put it in the fridge for later. Once youre ready to drink it, I like to add a little extra yogurt to the smoothie to thicken it up again.
How Do I Make A Strawberry Banana Smoothie
For the best results, youll want to add the ingredients to the blender in this order:
Then blend away, slowly ramping up to full speed! When the smoothie looks silky, take a taste test and decide if you want to add any sweetener. If you do, add the honey or maple syrup and blend for a few more seconds. If not, pour and enjoy!
You May Like: Smoothie King Peach Slice Plus Recipe
Whats The Best Blender For Making Smoothies
Blenders have gotten so advanced in the past few years, that its hard to pick one that wont blend up a great smoothie! If youre blender shopping, here are the three blenders we recommend for daily smoothie-making:
- MOST AFFORDABLE: Cuisinart Immersion/Stick BlenderDont let its small size fool you, this tiny handheld blender is packed full of power, and will easily make a smoothie for you every day!
- MEDIUM: Ninja Professional BlenderFor under $100, you get an incredibly powerful blender that makes a dreamy, creamy smoothie. This was the blender we used in the Wholefully test kitchen for years, and its a great starter level, but still high-powered, blender.
- SPLURGE: Vitamix Professional BlenderA Vitamix is the top of the line when it comes to blenders, and its what we use every day in the Wholefully test kitchen. It comes with a hefty price tag , so if youre just blending a smoothie every now and again, there is no need to make the splurge. But if you do a lot of cooking or make a lot of smoothies or blended drinks, you might want to start saving your pennies for a Vitamix. Its a lifetime appliance that is a dream to use!
Simple Strawberry Smoothie With Yogurt
UPDATED · PUBLISHED Feb 20, 2014 BY · This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This simple strawberry smoothie with yogurt is thick and creamy and low in calories and fat. You won’t believe how easy it is to make this copycat version of this Tropical Smoothie favorite.
It’s safe to say I’m smoothie-obsessed. I’ve been experimenting with various berry combinations in this Simple Green Smoothie for Beginners.
It’s a variation of this recipe and calls for blueberries AND spinach. But, I threw in a few strawberries too because strawberries make everything better!
In fact, this simple strawberry smoothie with yogurt is a bit of tribute to my very favorite berry and the smoothie that I just can’t resist when I’m at Tropical Smoothie Cafe.
When the craving hits, I just gotta have one.
In any event, I just couldn’t keep traipsing down the street to the closest smoothie joint. It was too expensive and sucked up valuable time.
This simple strawberry smoothie with yogurt replicates, pretty closely if I do say so myself, the Strawberry Beach Smoothie I occasionally enjoy at Tropical Smoothie Cafe.
I don’t have their secret recipe. Through trial and error and with a lot of perseverance, here’s what I learned about making this yummy treat at home:
Don’t Miss: Mielle Organics Pomegranate And Honey Line
How To Make Strawberries Smoothies
These strawberry smoothies are easy to make. Theyre surprisingly filling, since they offer a good amount of protein and fiber. Whip them up for breakfast, or any time youre in the mood for ice creamtheyre that good.
Frozen strawberries offer characteristic berry flavor, antioxidants and a fun pink color. One 10-ounce bag or about 2 cups will be just right. If possible, buy organic strawberries as conventional berries are notoriously high in pesticide exposure.
Frozen bananas make this smoothie lusciously creamy and naturally sweet.
Almond butter offers extra creaminess, plus protein, fiber and heart-healthy monounsaturated fat.
Vanilla almond milk makes this smoothie as creamy as possible . Buy unsweetened to avoid refined sugar. My favorite brands are Malk, Three Trees and Foragers. Or use water, for a slightly less luxurious texture.
For a sweeter smoothie, add maple syrup, to taste. The bananas are typically sweet enough for me, but a little drizzle of maple syrup makes this smoothie taste like a milkshake.
For extra sticking power, you can add up to 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats and/or up to 2 tablespoons flax seed . Flax makes leftover smoothies almost pudding-like in texture, and I like that!
How To Freeze Bananas Quickly
Buy a big bunch of bananas and let them turn nicely ripe. Aim for nicely yellow bananas, perhaps with a few spotsnot full-blown spotty brown like you would for banana bread.
Peel and slice the bananas into 1/2-inch segments. Flash-freeze them by placing the slices in a single layer on parchment paper-lined baking sheets that will fit in your freezer). This is also a great way to freeze your bananas in a hurry.
Once fully frozen, transfer them to a freezer bag and they will keep in the freezer for several months.
Also Check: 10 Day Detox Smoothie Diet
Best Strawberry Banana Smoothie
One of the best ways to enjoy summer is drinking a cold and refreshing smoothie made from fresh ingredients. Im definitely a smoothie lover as its so easy to toss a bunch of ingredients into my Vitamix and 30 seconds later have an amazing drink.
And with strawberries in abundance in the markets right now, it only makes sense to whip up this classic strawberry banana smoothie recipe. I can get fancy with smoothies and include chia seeds, collagen, hemp seeds and other fun ingredients, but a simple, straightforward smoothie is just as delicious.
So think of this strawberry banana smoothie as your little black dress. Its a classic. Because whats not to love about fresh, seasonal strawberries, sweet bananas and creamy yogurt?
How To Make Smoothies Thicker
Youll notice in a lot of my smoothie recipes that I opt to use frozen fruit rather than ice. While ice is nice in adding instant chill and bulk to smoothies, Ive found that it makes them too watery .
Instead, I like to freeze fruit and throw that into the smoothie to make it thicker and more frosty. In this Strawberry Banana Smoothie, were using frozen strawberries for their convenience and cost efficiency, but you can also peel, chop, and freeze your bananas ahead of time for smoothies. I like to do this with my soon-to-go-bad bananas to give them a second shot at life.
Don’t Miss: Smoothie King Recipes Berry Punch
Thaw Strawberries For 5 Minutes Before Using
Frozen strawberries, especially larger ones, can be hard on your blender. To prevent damage to your blender and for greater ease in blending, let the strawberries thaw at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes before using. Or, you can microwave them for 30 seconds to a minute, just until theyre losing their frost and starting to soften a bit.
If you still have trouble blending, pause, stir and let the mixture rest for a few more minutes before trying again. You can always add another splash or two of milk if you need more traction.
How Do You Make A Simple Strawberry Smoothie
Making a simple strawberry smoothie is easy! You just combine strawberries, vanilla, vanilla extract and milk in a blender and blend until smooth! If you use fresh strawberries you will want to add ice into your blender for that signature thick cold smoothie texture. But if you use frozen strawberries, there is no need for ice.
Don’t Miss: Smoothie King Seating Chart With Seat Numbers
A Simple Strawberry Smoothie
The other day I was flipping through one of my favorite cooking magazines and noticed a strawberry smoothie recipe. It immediately caught my attention because of the vast array of ingredients, 15 grocery items to be exact.
I stopped in wonder. Who in their right mind is going to go to the store and buy 15 items just to make smoothies?
Some smoothie-makers like to add protein powder, flax, or minerals to their smoothies to up the health benefits, but I wasnt fooled. My beloved magazine was putting on airs to dress up a simple strawberry smoothie.
Like wearing heels with your gym shorts, this just doesnt make sense.
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 Spoon the yogurt and milk into the blender container first, so that the blades will start rotating quickly rather than getting hung up on the hard, frozen fruit.
- tip 2 Strawberry-banana is one of the most popular fruit combos for smoothies, but if you find yourself with an overload of other ripe fresh fruit, get to work creating your own freezer pantry. To freeze fruits, sort, wash, and drain completely on a clean kitchen towel. Prep fruits as you would for serving by removing stems, coring, peeling, and slicing. Small whole fruits such as berries and cherries can be frozen individually, then placed in ridged covered containers or freezer bags. Freeze ripe bananas, in halves, so theyre ready and waiting too.
- tip 3 Almond, coconut, rice, flax, and hemp milk are all terrific lactose-free milk substitutions that make delicious smoothies.
- tip 4 Any flavor of yogurt can be spooned into the blenderthere are no rules.
Recommended Reading: Smoothie King Immune Booster
Best Blenders For Smoothies
When making a smoothie recipe at home there are a few ways you can blend it together. Here are the pros and cons of each method:
- High-speed individual blender such as aNutribullet. This option makes for super easy clean-up, but is best for just 1-2 servings.
- Large high-speed blender such as aVitamix. Best for making a large batch, but calls for more cleanup.
- 6 cup+ food processor such as a Cuisinart Food Processor. A last resort since it does not blend up the smoothie as easily, but it will get the job done.
How Do You Make A Strawberry Smoothie
Read Also: Smoothie King Slim N Trim Recipes
How To Make A Simple Strawberry Smoothie
wikiHow is a wiki, similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. To create this article, 57 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time.The wikiHow Culinary Team also followed the article’s instructions and verified that they work. This article has been viewed 752,623 times.
Strawberry smoothies are healthy, delicious, and refreshing and best of all, theyre easy to make! With just 4 ingredients and a blender, youll have a nice cold treat thats sure to satisfy any sweet tooth.
What Milk To Use In Your Strawberry Banana Smoothie
Another question I have been asked is what type of milk I suggest.
Any milk you have will work.
You wont really notice a flavor difference, or much of one.
I used 2% milk as it is what I had on hand, but you can use whole milk, almond milk, soy milk, whatever basic milk you have on hand.
Dairy free or dairy it wont make much of a difference.
No need to run to the store, just use what you have!
I hope you love this recipe as much as our family did!
more smoothie recipes you will love
Don’t Miss: Smoothie King Center Concerts 2021