What If I Dont Like Bananas
Bananas are the backbone of my simple smoothie recipes to me, they add so much creaminess and natural sweetness for an affordable price. But, if theyre not your thing, you can add some Greek yogurt with a sweetener and ice, OR do half an avocado with a sweetener and ice. Those two combos will replace a banana nicely in a smoothie and still give you a rich, creamy texture.
Make any of these 8 Simple Smoothie Recipes today for you or your family and enjoy the balance of vegetables and fruits in these creamy, refreshing drinks!
Now you are a smoothie making expert and I hope that you have found some great smoothie inspiration to get you comfortable with making smoothies at home.
This is just a starting point though, feel free to play around with these base recipes and come up with your own favorite smoothie recipes to meet your needs and preferences!
Take the hassle out of meal planning with: Dinner Made Easy, a FREE 1 week meal plan with full shopping list, easy dinners, nutrition information, serving suggestions for each meal, and more!
Blueberry Banana Blast Smoothie
The blueberry banana smoothie is full of healthy antioxidants, iron, potassium, and fiber. It has a really sweet taste, but there isn’t any added sweetener in it. It doesn’t need it! The blueberries and bananas are sweet enough. The chia seeds and almond butter add a nutty undertone and plenty of protein to make this a wonderful breakfast smoothie.
S To Make A Perfect Fruit Smoothie
No matter what kind of fruit smoothie recipe you are making, you can follow these steps.
Now that you have a great idea of making any fruit smoothie lets look at how to make some of the most popular fruit smoothies.
Recommended Reading: Smoothie King Coffee Drinks
Recommended Reading: King Center Seating Chart Melbourne
Banana Almond Protein Smoothie
Creamy almond butter offers healthy fats, while coconut water helps restore electrolytes after a tough workout. Greek yogurt and a scoop of whey keep the protein content high.
In a blender, add 1/2 cup coconut water, 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, 3 Tbsp. almond butter, 1 scoop whey protein powder, 1 Tbsp. hemp seeds, 1 frozen banana, 1 cup ice. Process until smooth, serves 2.
Nutrition : 329 calories, 17 g fat, 21 g protein, 26 g carbs , 15 g sugars
Orange Mango Ginger Smoothie
This smoothie recipe has loads of flavor from fresh ginger and ground turmeric, along with the mango, orange, cucumber, and celery. Since its light on protein, you may want to consider this a snack or experiment with your protein of choice.
Strawberry cheesecake? Yes, please! This decadent smoothie has just 5 good-for-you ingredients to get your day off to a great start.
Read Also: Smoothie King Green Tea Tango Recipe
How To Make A Healthy Smoothie At Home
It’s important to pay close attention to each of the ingredients you add to your smoothie. Follow recipes that call for whole ingredients that will nourish your body.
So, what makes a smoothie healthy? Well, let’s break down the main components and learn how to make sure that each part is as good for you as possible.
The Best Carbohydrate For Sweet Breakfast Smoothies
Hands down the best carbohydrate for sweet and creamy breakfast smoothies is half a frozen banana.
Its essential that you use a frozen banana to achieve that delicious creamy smoothie consistency.
Its also the most natural sugar you can add to your smoothie.
If you dont like banana replace by 1/2 cup frozen mango. Thats the next best thing.
You May Like: Smoothie King Center New Orleans Seating Chart
How Do You Make A Strawberry Smoothie
Are You Looking For Even More Smoothies No Worries Weve Got You Covered:
- Clementine Avocado Smoothie. If youve never added avocado to your smoothie before, you are missing out! The flavor is so mild, that you cant taste it, but the texture is dreamy, creamy smooth, and the healthy added fats help keep your fuller longer.
- Cold Buster Smoothie. When youre feeling under the weather and your throat is sore, this smoothie for colds is soothing and nourishing.
- Coffee Smoothie. Get a jolt of caffeine and your breakfast all in one cup! This is packed full of coffee flavor.
- Persimmon Smoothie. Packed full of autumnal flavor, this spiced smoothie is creamy and sweet!
- Spinach and Pear Smoothie. Bright green and fresh in flavor, this smoothie is a perfect light breakfast.
- Sweet Potato Smoothie. Sweet potato in a smoothie? YUP! It tastes like a delicious pie. Youll love it!
- Apple Smoothie. This smoothie is packed full of healthy spinach, but tastes like apple pie!
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie. This pumpkin smoothie is perfect for the weather is still warm but your heart wants fall to show up.
- Dark Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie. This smoothie is rich and dark, and it tastes decadent enough you could sip on it for dessert!
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Smoothie. All the flavors of your favorite sandwich in a tasty smoothie! Pick your favorite jelly to add to this peanut butter smoothie.
- Tart Cherry and Spinach Smoothies. We show serving this cherry smoothie as a light breakfast in a bowl, but you could easily pour it in a glass and sip away!
Also Check: Smoothie King Center Box Seats
Peanut Butter Smoothie Recipe
Heres the tastiest drink that happens to be healthy, too: a peanut butter smoothie recipe! You can swear off milkshakes for good, because this easy smoothie is just as satisfying. Its got the best pure peanut buttery flavor, and the silkiest, creamiest texture. Even better: all you need is 3 ingredients! Its easy to make vegan or plant-based, and its the perfect breakfast or snack.
Are Smoothies Healthy For You
Before we dive into the quest of how to make a fruit smoothie, lets dive into the why. Our philosophy here at Wholefully is that smoothies can be an incredibly nourishing part of your diet. Just like with our juicing recipes, we say its always better to eat whole fruits and veggies where possible. But its not always possible! Smoothies do make it easy to pack in all the nutrients of your favorite produce into one drinkable cupwhich is great when youre on the go or short on time.
And lets be honest, smoothies are just freaking delicious! We are big believers that you also need to nourish your soul with your food, and if drinking a perfectly tangy and sweet smoothie brings a smile to your face, then thats healthy as healthy can be.
Avoid These 4 Mistakes
While making smoothies doesnt require much culinary know-how, there are some things you need to keep in mind. Here are some common smoothie mistakes:
Storing And Freezing Instructions
- To store: Freshly made smoothies should be enjoyed immediately, however, they will keep well for up to eight hours refrigerated. Be sure to whisk the smoothie in case of any separation.
- To freeze: Smoothies can be frozen in blocks and stored in the freezer for up to two months. When ready to enjoy, remove the smoothie block from the freezer and re-blend it until smooth. To thin it out, you can add some water, milk, or juice.
Don’t Miss: Smoothie Center Seating Chart
Healthy Apple Pie Smoothie
Satiate your craving for apple pie with this apple banana smoothie. It is sweet and creamy and has the amazing aroma of pie without all the sugar and calories. It’s fortified with flax seeds and sprinkled with vanilla extract, cinnamon, and the amazing spice of ginger.
If you don’t like almond butter, use peanut butter or any type of nut butter. It’s a creamy and filling treat that’s perfect any time of day.
The Best Blender For Smoothies
You do NOT need a fancy schmancy blender to make a good smoothie! I used something similar to THIS $37 blender for years before finally upgrading to my Vitamix. I believe that the best blender for smoothies is the one that you have.
All of that being said, if you find yourself making a lot of smoothies and using your blender on a regular basis then I definitely recommend an upgrade. I have used THIS Vitamix for the past 6 years and absolutely love it. I anticipate it lasting me for a very long time which makes the investment totally worth it!
Here are my blender recommendations from amazon based on your budget:
Recommended Reading: Smoothie King Center Concert Seating
A Good Blender Is Worth It
I got a Blendtec just over 2 years ago, and I can never go back to a normal blender again. Mine tells me how many times Ive used it and Im a few smoothies away from 800 blends! Thats amazing, and it also shows how much I have used it. A good blender will whip you up a thick delicious smoothie with no chunks in about 45 seconds. If you are going to go green on any of your smoothies, a good blender is the key to getting all those healthy leafy greens to blend and have a great texture. I love my high power blender and highly recommend one.
How To Prep Your Smoothies:
While throwing together a smoothie is super quick and easy, I totally understand the need to plan ahead and streamline things as much as possible.
If youre wanting to prep your smoothies ahead of time, You can simply combine all of he ingredients MINUS the liquid in a resealable and place in the freezer until ready to use. Once youre ready to make your smoothie, you can simply dump the contents of the smoothie into a blender and then add you liquid.
Super easy and it really does make things go a little quicker in the morning!
Recommended Reading: Small Smoothie Mcdonalds
Healthy Smoothies And Weight Loss
If you are drinking smoothies in an effort to lose weight, make sure to keep these points in mind:
- Not all smoothies are healthy. Drinking smoothies alone will not help you lose weight. Healthy smoothie recipes can contribute to your weight-loss plans, but only if youre choosing low-fat, low-calorie, low-sugar ingredients.
- Use portion control. Smoothies can contain more vegetables or fruit than you would eat raw and that means you are taking in more calories, carbohydrates and sugar than you think. Keep your smoothie at around 10 oz . If you make too much, freeze the extra portion for later.
- Smoothies can leave you feeling hungry. Make sure your smoothie contains the right balance of ingredients. Adding protein and healthy fats will help make you feel full longer. But be careful as these additions can also make the calorie count go up. If you feel the need to add healthy fats or protein, then consider adding a quarter of an avocado , half a cup of Greek yogurt or a tablespoon of peanut butter .
Yes, you can lose weight drinking smoothies but it needs to be part of an overall diet plan. Read more about meal prep and weight loss here.
Our 6 Best Healthy Smoothies
Searching for a healthy smoothie recipe? Check out these delicious recipes that are quick and easy to make for breakfast, as a snack or even dessert.
Smoothies are a go-to for many of us looking for something quick and healthy. Whether you’re in need of a grab-and-go breakfast or a fuss-free snack, smoothies are a great option that can satisfy even the pickiest of eaters.
With that said, not all smoothies are created equally. Loading up on high-sugar fruit and juices or adding lots of sweeteners can result in a less than healthy offering. Instead, try to balance the different elements in your smoothie when aiming for something that will keep you fuller for longer. Mixing both fruits and vegetables can result in a higher fibre content, while still maintaining a sweet taste. Additionally, including items like nuts, milk and yogurt can boost the protein and healthy fat content, helping you to feel fuller throughout the day.
You May Like: Berry Punch Smoothie King Recipe
Do You Add Sweeteners To Smoothies
I dont add any sweeteners besides fruit to my own smoothies, but sometimes my kids want them to be sweeter. I feel like the health benefits of smoothies allow me to add a little sweetener for the kids, so depending on the smoothie, I might add honey, maple syrup, more fruit, fruit juice, sweetened milk, or sweetened yogurt. Sweeten to your liking, but conservative is always best! You can always add more after tasting.
How Can You Make A Creamier Smoothie
Try to add avocado because its ideal for adding creaminess to your smoothie. Avocados mild flavor counterfeits its nutritional wallop. As an alternative, you can add frozen yogurt, ice cream, or vanilla yogurt for more creaminess. Achieving the right texture smoothies needs a good blend of liquid and solid ingredients.
Also Check: 10 Day Smoothie Detox Diet
Whats The Best Blender For Making Smoothies
Blenders have gotten so advanced in the past few years, that its hard to pick one that wont blend up a great smoothie! If youre blender shopping, here are the three blenders we recommend for daily smoothie-making:
- MOST AFFORDABLE: Cuisinart Immersion/Stick BlenderDont let its small size fool you, this tiny handheld blender is packed full of power, and will easily make a smoothie for you every day! Its perfect if youre limited on counter space.
- MEDIUM: Ninja Professional BlenderFor under $100, you get an incredibly powerful blender that makes a dreamy, creamy smoothie. This was the blender we used in the Wholefully test kitchen for years, and its a great starter-level, but still high-powered, blender.
- SPLURGE: Vitamix Professional BlenderA Vitamix is the top of the line when it comes to blenders, and its what we use every day in the Wholefully test kitchen. It comes with a hefty price tag , so if youre just blending a smoothie every now and again, there is no need to make the splurge. But if you do a lot of cooking or make a lot of smoothies or blended drinks, you might want to start saving your pennies for a Vitamix. Its a lifetime appliance that is a dream to use!
Simple Ingredients In This Smoothie:
- Blueberries you can use fresh or frozen in this but I prefer frozen in order to give it an extra creamy texture! I pretty much always have them in the freezer for just such occasions.
- Banana Again, fresh or frozen works. Its best if at least one of the fruits is frozen. I typically keep a freezer bag fully of bananas in the freezer for quick smoothie making.If youre looking for an alternative to banana or want the smoothie to have a little less sugar in it, you can try swapping it with frozen cauliflower. You dont taste it in the smoothie at all and its a low calorie alternative!
- Yogurt Ive been loving the blueberry dairy free yogurt from Trader Joes but obviously any yogurt that you have on hand will work well! You can also leave it out completely if desired.
- Liquid I alternate between milk and water when making smoothies. It kind of just depends on my mood. For this particular smoothie, I really like the creaminess that the milk adds. Use whatever kind you prefer .
- Nut butter This is also optional but high recommended! Blueberries + peanut butter is one of my favorite combos. If you want to keep it low in calories, you can try using peanut butter powder- its all of the flavor with a lot less fat. Of course, you can use any kind of but/ seed butter in this!
- Optional add-ins When I have them on hand, I almost always throw a handful of greens into this smoothie as well. And if Im drinking it as a full meal, Ill also throw in a scoop or 2 of protein powder.
Recommended Reading: Low Carb High Protein Smoothie King