How To Make The Best Banana Smoothie
My basic smoothie recipe calls for four simple ingredients:
Banana I use one banana to make one large or two smaller smoothies. For the best tasting smoothie, use a ripe banana. For the creamiest banana smoothie, use frozen banana slices. Ive shared how I freeze bananas for smoothies below.
Half an orange When I have oranges in the house, I love adding them to my morning smoothie. It adds extra vitamin C and tropical flavor. If you dont have oranges on hand, dont worry, you can substitute other fruits like mango, pineapple, and berries.
Plain or Greek yogurt I dont always add yogurt to my smoothies, but when I do have it in the fridge, adding a spoonful ensures a protein-packed and creamy smoothie. For a smoothie without yogurt, add a little extra fruit or include veggies like spinach or kale.
Water or milk To help the ingredients blend, I like adding a splash of liquid to the blender. For a smoothie without milk, use water. It still tastes amazing. For more creaminess add milk .
To make the smoothie, I add everything into a blender and then blend until smooth. For an icy cold smoothie, throw in a handful of ice or use frozen fruits.
Best Protein Powders For Smoothies
Be careful when you add protein powder to your smoothies. Some of them will leave a chalky or gritty texture behind because they don’t blend well with fruits and milk.
These are the most popular protein powders that people love to add to smoothies because they blend in well and add the perfect taste and texture.
- Organic Protein Blend from Garden of Life – This is made with brown rice, quinoa, beans, tea, and cinnamon extract. It blends in seamlessly.
- Nutiva Hemp Protein Powder – People love how organic, natural, and high in protein this is. They also love how much fiber it has – without any odd aftertaste or texture.
- – Whey protein is made from milk, so you shouldn’t use it if you are avoiding dairy. Source organic uses whey protein from grass-fed cows, so it’s a better choice for some people.
- Paleo Protein Egg White Protein Powder – It is unflavored and mixes into smoothies so easily. You won’t even notice it’s in there.
- SunWarrior Plant-Based Protein – If plant-based is important to you, then this powder is fantastic for smoothies. It’s made with organic pea, cranberry, and hemp seed protein.
- Vital Proteins Collagen Protein Powder – This is the protein powder I use in my smoothies. Normally I like the unflavored option.’
- Orgain Protein Powders -Another brand that creates a clean, delicious protein powder is Orgain.
Strawberry Banana Smoothie Ingredients:
To make this strawberry banana smoothie recipe, you will need the following ingredients :
- Frozen strawberries: Or you can sub in any other kind of frozen berries that you have on hand.
- Banana: I typically just use fresh bananas. But if you have frozen sliced bananas, you can omit some of the ice in this recipe.
- Milk: Any type of milk will work for this recipe cows milk, almond milk, oat milk, you name it.
- Ice: However much is needed to achieve your desired smoothie consistency.
- Optional add-ins: See ideas below!
Recommended Reading: Blueberry Smoothie Recipe With Milk
Best Heavy Duty Blender
You just can’t go wrong with a Vitamix Professional Series blender – it will last you for years! Small businesses love this blender and use it in their coffee shops and even gyms.
The best feature of the Vitamix is that the way the blades move actually whip air into the mixture, giving you a light and creamy smoothie-like nothing else can.
Another fantastic thing about the Vitamix is that it can do so much more than just smoothies! You can use it to make homemade ice cream, healthy shakes, and even soups.
This heavy-duty machine can also puree tough things like kale and nuts into your smoothie. There are so many reasons this blender is worth the splurge.
Low Fat Fruit Yogurt Smoothie
The following essential Ingredients you need to make low fat fruit yogurt smoothie:
- 1 small banana
- 3/4 cup low fat yogurt
- 1 table spoon honey
- Pinch of cinnamon to taste
- Ice cubes
Step by Step Guide to Make Low Fat Fruit Yogurt Smoothie:
Recommended Reading: Green Smoothie With Protein Powder
Smoothie Recipe Serving Sizes
There are lots of Smoothie recipes but it can be confusing if they are written for use with certain size blenders
Typically, smoothie recipes that you see for Vitamix, Blend-tec or other full-size countertop blenders will make 2 servings which equals 32 ounces or 2 pints.
A counter-top 2-serving green smoothie recipe would typically have:
- 2 Cups of Liquid Base
- 2 Cups Leafy Greens
- 3 Cups of Fruit
> > You would cut above amounts in half for a personal blender since it makes 50% less. < <
These are just general guidelines and certain recipes will have variations to the portions.
Use Your Milk Of Choice
I have used and loved all kinds of milk for smoothies, including normal cows milk, raw cows milk, and lots of plant- and nut-based milk like rice, almond, coconut, and cashew. When buying nut milk, make sure the carton is marked unsweetened. You dont really need the added sugar when you are using fruit in your smoothie. I love cashew milk its super creamy and delicious. I most often use almond milk in the carton or a coconut-almond blend in the carton. Use what you can find in your area.
Recommended Reading: Smoothies For Type 1 Diabetes
Cabbage And Cucumber Juice
This option is extra popular in the summertime, because it is incredibly refreshing, and a great blend to drink cold on a hot day.
In addition to the benefits of cabbage, adding a cucumber is loaded with antioxidants that help fight off illness in the body. It can help prevent disease and also clear up your skin.
Cucumber is known for having tons of benefits, including helping with weight loss.
If you want to jazz up your juice flavor, even more, squeeze a bit of lemon into the juice once its done. The fresh, tart flavor will really bring out the subtle flavors of the cabbage and cucumber.
Does Smoothies Aid Weight Loss
Smoothies are already branded as a weight loss product due to the substitution with meals and breakfast. pre-workout and post-workout smoothies are going in trend. The celebrities and nutritionists always preach the wonders it does to the body. The exact balance of fruits and veggies is an important factor for weight loss. The low-fat liquid base such as non-dairy milk or yogurt with the addition of supplements like protein powder can boost the extra nutrients.
Especially the green drink are a good source of vegetable intake and it is obvious that the leafy green veggies like spinach and kale are strong phytochemicals rich in calcium and vitamins K.
Green leafy veggies not only control the sugar levels but also lower the possibility of chronic illness. Here is the recipe of blended green smoothie which helps to boost metabolism:
- 1 cup to fresh or frozen fruits of your choice
- 1 cup green leafy veggies
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
Add fruits and veggies in a blender. First, run the blender at high speed to get a thick puree then add almond milk to get the desired texture and thickness.
You May Like: Smoothie Vending Machine For Sale
The Reason You Should Never Add Ice To A Smoothie
The global smoothie market was just over $12 billion in 2019, and positioned to reach $17 billion by 2025, more than hinting at the obsession with these tasty drinks . Smoothies are popular for their convenience , and because many consumers associate them with healthy eating . North America has the highest demand for smoothies, with popular companies such as Smoothie King, Jamba Juice, and Tropical Smoothie Cafe answering the call to blend more .
Although marketed as a healthy alternative, many commercially created smoothies are filled with hidden calories and sugar due to additions such as orange juice, ice cream, and syrup . This fact has led some consumers to create smoothies at home, using items found in the fridge and your own produce basket. But the next time you’re tossing blueberries, kale, apples, and yogurt into the blender, you may want to leave out the ice. Here’s why.
Should You Rest Your Smoothies
Letting a smoothie sit tends to make it less frothy, but some smoothies willseparate quickly. For example, almost every green smoothie separates into a layer of green juice atop a chunky greenmixture after a few minutes.
Others fare better from resting. Anything with a lot of light or frothyingredients, or a lot of air whipped up into them, applies.
If you’re in a rush, prepare the ingredients beforehand by chopping andmeasuring them. Start only when you’re ready to eat! You can store ingredientsor even storesmoothies overnight in the fridge, if you’re preparing for an earlymorning!
A thick smoothie can last in the fridge up to 24 hours while retaining itsflavor and texture. Thinner smoothies may separate before then. We prefer todrink immediately, though grabbing a drink prepared the night before is almostas good. To store a smoothie in the fridge, pour it into a tightly sealedcontainer such as a Mason jar. Unless you have a tight, screw-on lid for yourblender bottle, don’t botheryou’ll get better flavor and have an easiertime cleaning up if you store it in something else.
In a pinch, you can put plastic wrap over the top of a glass.
You May Like: How To Get Your Daily Vegetables In A Smoothie
+ Healthy Smoothie Recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Check out 100+ healthy smoothie recipes and learn how to make your own unique healthy smoothies at home with our basic smoothie equation.
Say hello to the most beautiful smoothies on the internet! Smoothies are such a great healthy breakfast idea, snack, or even dinner! In less than 5 minutes you can enjoy multiple servings of fruit, veggies, healthy fats, and more!
PS: Check out our best Protein Shake Recipes, too!
Cabbage Carrot And Apple Juice
Adding carrots and green apple to the juicer with your cabbage can create a fresh zap of flavor, while still providing nutrients and vitamins.
Green apples provide the body with pectin, a fiber source that works as a prebiotic to promote the growth of healthy bacteria in your gut. .
Carrots, in addition to being full of vitamins like K and A, are also a great way to keep blood sugar levels controlled. This may be a good juice option for anyone with diabetes or another blood sugar condition.
Don’t Miss: Smoothie Recipes For Lactose Intolerant
How Do I Make A Berry Smoothie
For the best results, youll want to add the ingredients to the blender in this order:
Slowly increase the speed of your blender until it is working at full power. When fully blended, taste your smoothie for sweetness, and add honey or maple syrup to taste.
How Do I Make Smoothies If I Dont Like Bananas
Lucky for you, we have an entire post of recipes to make a smoothie without banana. Try those recipes, or tweak any of the recipes below by:
- Subbing in 1/2 cup additional plain Greek yogurt , plus 1 tablespoon additional sweetener and a handful of ice cubes in place of the frozen banana in these recipes.
- Other options: canned pineapple, sweetened yogurt, canned pears. Adding half a ripe avocado can really help make up for the creaminess that bananas usually add, too.
Also Check: Thrive Ready To Blend Smoothies
Additional Health Boosting Ingredients
Smoothies are pretty good for you healthwise as long as you dont add too many sugary fruits. But if you would like to give your smoothie an extra health boost, you can add some ground nuts or oats.
Here are few other health supplements you might want to consider adding:
- Acai Berries
- Matcha Powder
Adding these types of supplements to your morning smoothie can help to give you the right combination of carbs, fats, and proteins to set you up for the rest of the day.
Best Smoothies For Kids
Are you worried about your picky kids? Not now, thanks to good quality blender reviews that make parents life easy. Smoothies are a great source of energy, the proper blending of fruits and veggies can retain the fibre intact in the drink. Unlike other energy drinks, the blended smoothies are quite light on the stomach and rich in protein, minerals, vitamins, and fibre.
Interestingly, the little picky eaters can easily intake the nutrients from fruits and veggies without knowing it. Here are a few famous smoothies among kids:
- Chocolate-Cherry Smoothie
- Carrot and orange smoothie
Also Check: Where To Buy Spirulina For Smoothies
How To Make Frozen Berry Smoothies
Mixed Berry Smoothie Recipe This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
A simple berry smoothie thats healthy, creamy, and has no added sugar! Naturally sweetened and full of antioxidants, this smoothie is the perfect breakfast, snack, or dessert!
Reading: how to make frozen berry smoothies
I love whole fruit juices and smoothies. I also love that smoothies made with fruit dont really need any additional / added sugar because fruit is already so naturally sweet!
Smoothies are also an easy way to get your daily servings of fruits and vegetables its like a little mini-meal when made correctly. And this healthy mixed berry smoothie is no exception! Its one of those easy smoothies thats super customizable and totally satisfying too!
Why You Should Make This Strawberry Smoothie
Ive made a version of this easy smoothie recipe more times than I can count. Its perfect on its own and is the best base recipe for adding more ingredients.
Here are a few more reasons we love it:
- You need less than 5 minutes to make it.
- You can use fresh or frozen fruit. In fact, frozen strawberries make the smoothie extra creamy.
- Its easy to adapt to what you have in the kitchen.
- This smoothie is perfect for breakfast or a snack.
- Kids love it!
- You can make the smoothie ahead of time, freeze it, and save for later. Details below.
Read Also: Smoothie King Arena New Orleans Louisiana
Ingredients For This Strawberry Smoothie
Heres what youll need to make this strawberry smoothie! Alex and I were careful to choose healthy ingredients for this smoothie: no overly sugary juices or syrups. Heres what we selected:
- Frozen strawberries: Its easy to find and store frozen berries, and they add a great icy texture to this smoothie. If you want to use fresh berries, use a frozen banana.
- Fresh banana: Our pet peeve is smoothie recipes that call for frozen bananas, because we never keep them on hand! Usually we want a smoothie recipe now. So we customized this one to use a fresh banana.
- Greek yogurt: Greek yogurt gives this recipe a protein boost and helpful probiotics. It also makes for a perfect creamy texture.
- Ice: Heres the most important part ice is essential to a perfect strawberry smoothie! It makes just the right frothy texture. Weve tried it without and it really makes a difference. Do not omit it!
- Milk: You need just the right amount of liquid in a smoothie to get it to blend. Not enough and the blender gets stuck , and too much it tastes milky. You can also use non-dairy .
- Maple syrup: Adding a hint of maple brings out the sweetness in the berries. If you eat a low sugar diet you could omit, but it doesnt quite taste sweet enough with no sweetener.
What If I Dont Have The Right Ingredients To Make One Of These Smoothies
There is NO right or wrong way to make a smoothie! These recipes are just starter ideas for you to work off of But dont feel like you need to stick with them to make a delicious smoothie. I never measure for smoothies and often throw in what I have on hand. My main tip, however, is if youre using fresh fruit, be sure to throw in a little ice to add that frozen element.
Read Also: Smoothies For Wisdom Teeth Removal
What Do Customers Say About The Cuisinart Processors Smoothie Making Capabilities
Lets be honest, food processors are becoming more and more popular and everyone in the world owns one. They have so many uses! From dough kneading to slicing vegetables, this Food Processor has the capacity, performance, and versatility to be an integral part of your cooking routine.
But do you know you can make smoothies with a food processor as well?
I made smoothies in this and was told they were better than the storebought ones . Well worth the money!
- I absolutely love it. It is great for making smoothies.
- If making smoothies from frozen fruit you probably need to let the fruit thaw a little.
- I have even used it to make smoothies. It is very sturdy so it doesnt jump around the counter when crushing ice.
- She likes that she can make soup broth in it, and also likes making smoothies.
- The base is surprisingly heavy, but thats a small price to pay for all the smoothies and pies Ive been able to make while using it!
- I mostly make smoothies with the blender. It does a great job.