How Do You Thicken Smoothies
There are two ways to thicken smoothies with ice or with frozen fruit.
Frozen bananas are the best fruit for making very thick and creamy smoothies.
Adding ice can be another way to thicken smoothies if you are using fresh fruit, but the texture wont be quite the same.
Easy, delicious, and always a favorite!
More Smoothie Recipes You Will Love
Recipe Tips & Substitutions
- This smoothie can be adapted based on the season. If you cant find fresh strawberries, feel free to use frozen strawberries.
- To increase the protein content of this smoothie to make it a meal replacement, feel free to add a scoop of your favorite unsweetened protein powder. See my list of the best clean protein powders.
- This recipe can easily be doubled or even tripled.
- You can use whatever milk you prefer. Any plant based milk will work . You can also use orange juice instead of almond milk, if you prefer.
How To Serve Smoothies To Kids
Kids can drink smoothies out of small open cups, a cup fitted with a silicone cup cover and straw like the ones from Silikids, a reusable pouch like a Squeasy Gear, or in a sippy cup. Some babies and toddlers play with the cup or straw, so if yours has a hard time focusing and just wants to play, I highly recommend the Squeasy Gear!
TIP: If you blend this up and its too thick for your little one to drink through their sippy cup or straw, you can simply stir in a little water or additional milk to thin it out.
Recommended Reading: Strawberry Banana Smoothie Mcdonalds Price
Why You Should Make This Blueberry Smoothie
Ive made a version of this easy blueberry smoothie recipe more times than I can count. Frozen blueberries are a must when making it .
Here are a few more reasons we love it:
- You need less than 5 minutes to make it.
- You can use frozen fruit. In fact, I prefer frozen blueberries when making this smoothie.
- This smoothie is perfect for breakfast or a snack.
- Kids love it!
- You can make the smoothie ahead of time, freeze it, and save for later. Details below.
Favorite Blueberry Smoothie Recipe
This blueberry smoothie recipe is a personal favorite of mine because its naturally sweetened with frozen bananas and perfectly thick.
Read Also: Green Smoothies That Actually Taste Good
Blender Notes And Recommendations
- I recently purchased a new high-powered blender and absolutely love it .
- You do not need a high-dollar blender to make this strawberry blueberry smoothie. If you use a high powered blender , your smoothie will have a finer, more even consistency, but you can certainly make this recipe in a regular blender too. If your smoothie is too thick to blend, add more almond milk .
- I owned this more economical option for a while. While it doesnt get things as smooth as quickly as a high-powered blender or come with the same bells and whistles, its a good option for the price.
- I sip my smoothies through these stainless steel straws. They make everything you drink through them from smoothies, to iced tea or iced coffee, to even water taste extra refreshing. I also keep a few in my purse for when Im out and about, so I dont need to ask for a plastic or paper straw.
Whats The Best Milk To Use In Smoothies
I prefer to use unsweetened plain nondairy milk such as Ripple Milk, Silk Protein Nut Milk, or soy milk. Those options have protein, calcium, and vitamin D , though you can really use any milk option that you like.
TIP: I find that dairy milk has a tendency to separate a bit when used in a smoothie that wont be consumed right away, so use nondairy milk if you plan to make this ahead.
Read Also: Vegan Breakfast Smoothies For Weight Loss
How Do You Make A Blueberry Smoothie
Smoothies are an extremely delicious and easy breakfast or snack that take just 5 minutes of effort. Grab some frozen blueberries, a banana, vanilla Greek yogurt, and apple juice. All of the ingredients go into a blender and are mixed until smooth. Thats all there is to it!
I love using apple juice when making my blueberry smoothie. Its inexpensive, readily available and a great neutral flavor base. There are plenty of other liquid options that work just as well in place of apple juice.
Other liquid substitutes for your blueberry smoothie are
- White grape juice
- Almond milk
- Dairy milk such as skim or 1% milk
If you dont have vanilla Greek yogurt on hand, feel free to used another complementary flavor like blueberry or mixed berry yogurt. I use Greek yogurt because it has more protein than standard yogurt.
Even though this smoothie is already a healthy option, there are other ways to make it even healthier. I personally like to add additions once in a while to up the health factor of my smoothies.
Some great healthy additions to this smoothie are
- Flax seeds
Faqs About Blueberry Smoothies
Are blueberry smoothies healthy?
This blueberry smoothie is packed full of nutrients, antioxidants, protein and fiber.
Do you put ice in smoothies?
I suggest NOT putting ice in this smoothie because it waters down the flavors. Instead, use frozen fruit for a thick, cold smoothie.
What can I add to smoothies?
Here are some suggestions!Protein powderNut butters – for a little fat and protein.Chia seedsMaca powder
Don’t Miss: What To Put In Smoothies For Energy
Lactation Smoothie Freezer Packs
I love make ahead meals. My freezer sure gets a work out when it comes to preparing for postpartum too and one of my favorite things to freeze are smoothie packs!
Smoothie packs are so convenient:
- you buy all the ingredients you need in bulk
- you make your packs and use up all your perishable ingredients
- all you need to do is add liquid, blend and youve got an instant, perfectly frosty smoothie for breakfast or for a snack!
You can make this blueberry lactation smoothie into a freezer pack really easily by adding all ingredients into ziploc sandwich bags. Stack them as flat as possible in your freezer and then when youre ready to whizz them up, just break the ingredients up into your blender and add liquids. Blend and youre good to go!
Why Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup
- No need to turn your stove top on and make a mess. You can do everything for this soup in the Instant Pot.
- This is a big batch soup that will feed a big group or will feed your family for a week, it leaves you with great leftovers.
- This stuffed pepper soup is hearty and will keep you fuller, longer.
Also Check: 10 Day Detox Smoothie Diet
How To Make Blueberry Smoothies
These blueberry smoothies are super simple to make and will actually keep you satisfied for hours, since it offers almost 10 grams of protein and fiber per serving. Whip them up for breakfast, or any time youre craving ice creamtheyre that good.
Frozen blueberries offer tons of antioxidants and gorgeous purply-blue color. Buy wild/organic blueberries for maximum nutrients.
Frozen bananas make this smoothie creamy and naturally sweet. This smoothie is nothing without the bananas!
Almond butter offers extra creaminess, plus protein, fiber and heart-healthy monounsaturated fat.
Vanilla almond milk makes this smoothie as creamy as possible. Buy unsweetened to avoid refined sugar. My favorite brands are Malk or Califia Farms. Or use water, for a slightly less luxurious texture.
For a sweeter smoothie, you can add maple syrup, to taste. I usually dont need it, since the bananas are sweet enough.
For extra sticking power, you can add up to 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats and/or up to 2 tablespoons flax seed. The flax seed makes leftover smoothies almost pudding-like in textureIm into it!
How Do You Make It
1. First, add all the ingredients, including the spinach and cucumber into a blender.
2. Blend it until the mixture become liquid.
3. Then, add the berries, watermelon, ice cubes, together into the mixture.
4. Blend it well again until smooth. Pour into a glass and ready to drink.
* Ideally, stir well the chia and hemp seeds with water and soak overnight first.
* Instead of the chia and hemp seeds, you can use plain or Greek yogurt too.
* Banana will be a good choice too instead of watermelon.
* This recipe is for 1 portion serving.
Also Check: How Do I Make A Smoothie
How Much Brewers Yeast For Lactation Smoothie
Brewers yeast is one of the most popular milk-boosting supplements you can add to your lactation smoothie but how much do you actually need?
You want to balance effectiveness vs that bitter aftertaste!
I recommend trying 1 tablespoon if its too much, you can always adjust down. This recipe is packed full of other milk making ingredients so it wont matter if you put in a little less.
Why Is It Beneficial To Start Your Day With A Smoothie
As long as youre not loading your smoothie down with sugary ingredients, it makes for a great healthy start to your day. Blended food is easier for your body to digest which allows your body to start releasing energy quicker after consumption. Outside of that, fruits and veggies are packed with vital nutrients your body needs, and the yogurt adds protein to keep you full.
I have lost count how many blueberry smoothies Ive drank over the years. Blueberry smoothies arent the only smoothies I drink and obsess over. However, a blueberry smoothie in the morning is at the top of my list when it comes to breakfast.
Read Also: How To Do A Banana Smoothie
How To Make A Blueberry Smoothie
Blueberry smoothies are a one-step wonder in the kitchen.
- Use frozen bananas and fruit for a thicker smoothie.
- If you dont have frozen bananas, a few ice cubes will thicken the mixture.
- Sweeten with a drizzle of maple syrup, honey, or agave syrup.
- Got leftovers? Pour into an ice cube tray and freeze the cubes. Pop them out and keep them in freezer bags to add to new smoothies.
- Stir a frozen smoothie cube into a bowl of hot cereal like oatmeal to cool it for kids and for fruity flavor.
Why You Need This Recipe
- This Strawberry Blueberry Smoothie recipe has simple ingredients that support the immune system.
- Its dairy-free! Smoothies are often made with yogurt and this one is creamy and delicious without it. See my article on the health reasons to go dairy-free.
- Its the perfect way to curb that sweet craving. Fruit and honey provide natural sweetness as well as healthy nutrients when you want something sweet. Vegans can use maple syrup.
Read Also: Healthy Meal Replacement Smoothies Recipes
How To Properly Blend Smoothies: Some Tips
It might sound deceptively simple to blend smoothies. Dont you just throw it all in the blender and press go? There are actually some nuances to this process. Heres what we recommend:
- Use a high speed blender if you have it. This best blueberry banana smoothie is easiest to make with a high speed or powerful blender.
- If youre working with a blender thats not top shape: Dice the carrot very small. Also, place the liquid items in the smoothie toward the bottom of the blender. If you put the frozen items towards the bottom, they can easily freeze solid and make it hard for the blender blades to turn.
- Add slightly more liquid if necessary. Liquid helps to blend a smoothie, so weve added a range for the liquid here . Scrape down the bowl of the blender and add a little bit of water at a time until you get the desired texture.
Why Does This B
It is refreshing and perfect for on-the-go-breakfast.
- Sugar-free smoothie.
- Great for the digestive system.
- Fights against inflammation.
- Great for on the go breakfast.
- Blueberries are high in antioxidants and phytonutrients.
- Berries are known to help fight certain cancer.
- Berries are good for the heart.
- Great for the skin and lowers blood pressure.
- It is also refreshing.
I love adding bananas to my smoothie, I even included bananas in my pineapple banana smoothie. Its a great way to enhance the sweet flavors and cut down the toughness or tart flavor from the berries.
Also Check: Protein Smoothie Diet For Weight Loss
How To Make Blueberry Banana Smoothies Step
Heres a look at the quick process. Scroll down to see the full recipe.
Blueberry Almond Milk Smoothie
There’s simply nothing better than starting the day with a good smoothie, and this Blueberry Almond Milk Smoothie is a great smoothie! Loaded with antioxidants, a nice hit of natural sugars to get you powered up with some energy first thing, and filling enough to keep you going until lunch. This always goes down a treat in our house, especially with the kids because of that bright, beautiful color!
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that Ive linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust and use myself.
Don’t Miss: How Do You Make A Fruit Smoothie Without Yogurt
Tips To Thicken Your Smoothie
I love my smoothies nice and thick, as I think it makes them more satisfying. This recipe is already fairly thick, but if youd like to thicken your smoothie even more, here are a few tips:
- Blend in a few cubes of ice after you mix your main ingredients until you reach your desired consistency.
- For thickness and added flavor, try blending in an extra handful of frozen fruit.
- You can also try adding in 1 tablespoon of chia seeds. After a few minutes, these little nutrient-rich seeds will soak up some of the excess liquid and thicken the smoothie.
How To Freeze Fruit For Smoothies
To make smoothies even easier, freeze fresh fruit into portions. You can even prepare smoothie packs and freeze them for a grab and blend smoothie option.
To freeze fruit for smoothies, rinse and chop fresh fruit into small pieces. Pat them dry then arrange, in one layer, on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Slide the baking sheet into the freezer and freeze until hard . The method for bananas is no different, simply peel them, slice and then freeze on the baking sheet.
When the fruit is hard, divide it between freezer-safe bags and keep in the freezer for your next smoothie.
You May Like: What Do You Put In A Fruit Smoothie
My Quick Nutrition Facts For This Recipe
What is the potential health nutrition in this recipe besides boosting the metabolism?
* Berries are super healthy munchy fruits. They can help in,
Manage diabetes, thank its compound called anthocyanidins.Sharpen your mind.Preventing Parkinsons disease, thank the abundance of flavonoids content.Reduce inflammation and risk of heart diseases.Lower the blood pressure by enhancing the blood vessels functions.Fighting the infections of the urinary tract.
For example, blueberries have a high level of anti-oxidant content that protects your body cells from those harmful radicals roaming inside your body. It also helps to prevent heart disease, regulate your blood sugar, and fight against urinary tract infections.
A cup of blueberries gives you Protein 1.1g, Calories 84, Carbs 22g, Fiber 3.6g, Calcium 8.9mg. Source data from the USDA
* Chia seeds help to keep your bones strong due to their high contents of Magnesium, Calcium, and Phosphorus that are needed for bones strength. Also, help your brain function better and improve cognition, and keep the heart healthy by lowering blood pressure.
A portion of 100g serving gives you Protein 16g, Calories 486, Carbs 42g, Fiber 34.4g, high Phosphorus 860mg. Source data from the USDA.
* Spinach are green plants loaded with antioxidants and tonnes of nutrients.
A cup of raw spinach contents are Water 27g, Calories 7, Protein 0.9g, Carbs 1.1g, Fiber 0.7g, and high potassium 167mg. Source data from the USDA.
Have An Awesome Home Workout!
Tips For The Best Blueberry Banana Smoothie
- Nut-free: Use Sunbutter.
- For kids under the ages of one, use nondairy unsweetened nut or seed milk.
- To make without banana, try a few tablespoons of avocado or ½ cup of frozen mango or mashed roasted sweet potato instead of banana.
- To add other veggies, try a few fresh or frozen raw cauliflower florets, baby kale, raw zucchini or raw summer squash in place of the spinach.
- If the smoothie is too thick for your little one to drink through their sippy cup or straw, stir in a little water or milk to thin.
- Use one fresh and one frozen fruit for a not-too-thick smoothie thats easy for kids to drink through a straw.
- Use nondairy milk if you plan to make this ahead for best results as it separates less than cows milk.
- You can use half yogurt and half milk to add probiotics.
- This smoothie is best served on the day its made, though you can make it ahead and store it in the fridge for up to 4-6 hours in an airtight container or reusable pouch.
Don’t Miss: Hotels Close To Smoothie King Center
How To Make A Blueberry Banana Smoothie
Using frozen fruit makes this smoothie super thick and creamy.
Frozen bananas are great for getting that thick ice cream like texture in smoothies.
Frozen blueberries are also one of my favorite fruits to keep on hand for smoothies!
To make this smoothie, add the frozen bananas, frozen blueberries, almond butter, flax seed, and almond milk to a high speed blender.
Blend until thick and creamy.
I purposefully used as little liquid as possible in this smoothie, as I wanted that nice thick consistency.
If you do not have a high powered blender, or want a thinner smoothie, add more almond milk to taste.