How To Meal Prep Smoothies In Advance
Meal prepping your smoothies in advance is a great way to save time in the morning at breakfast time or in the afternoon when you need a quick and filling snack.
To meal prep a few smoothies at a time, just place all of the smoothie ingredients, minus the liquid, into a small freezer safe storage bag. Place the bag in the freezer until you are ready to use.
When you are ready to make a smoothie, add the liquid to your blender and then pour in the contents of your frozen smoothie bag. Blend on high until completely smooth and thats it!
What Do You Put In A Breakfast Smoothie
- Healthy Fats. Your favorite nut butter, coconut milk, or chia seeds. This makes the smoothie more satisfying and keeps you full between meals. Keep portions in mind I usually add about 1 tablespoon.
- Protein and Fiber Additions. Greek yogurt or your favorite protein powder are easy ways to make breakfast protein smoothies. A tablespoon of oatmeal adds fiber.
- Fruit. Breakfast fruit smoothies are always a crowd-pleasing choice. Strawberries and blueberries are my go-tos. Bananas make smoothies naturally sweet. Mango and pineapple can hide the taste of greens. Unexpected fruits like apples or watermelon can be scrumptious too.
- Vegetables. Spinach, kale, avocado, carrots, and even beets can all be added to smoothies.
- Flavor Additions. Vanilla, cinnamon, honey, maple syrup, and dates are all excellent ways to give your smoothie more flavor.
- Liquid. Unsweetened almond milk is my favorite for smoothies. You can also use juice , a different kind of milk, coconut water, or even plain water.
How To Make Healthy Breakfast Cookies
Here is a brief rundown of the steps, but be sure to drop down to the recipe card to see the full recipe spelled out step by step!
1. Into a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients and then wet ingredients and mix into a batter with a spoon.
2. Then fold in mix-ins of choice from my list.
3. Scoop batter onto a mold and freeze, or skip the freezing step and simply scoop into paper cupcake liners.
4. Bake & Cool
5. Feel free to add a chocolate top or dip and sprinkle.
Also Check: Recipes For Smoothies Using Almond Milk
Smoothie Tips & Frequently Asked Questions
Can you taste the spinach in a green smoothie?
You won’t be able to taste the spinach if you use the proper ratio of fruit to spinach. This green smoothie tastes like a mango pineapple smoothie with a hint of banana flavor.
Are green smoothies healthy?
Blending spinach into a smoothie is a great way to boost your immune system and increase fiber intake, as well as naturally energize you. A kale or spinach smoothie has incredible health benefits with additional phytonutrients. What we eat can truly transform our bodies and our lives in powerful ways.Most smoothies you buy or find online are made with just fruit and fruit juice. This makes them crazy high in sugar, which can cause inflammation and consuming excess calories. A green smoothie, on the other hand, is made with fruit, plant-based liquidsand leafy greens, typically spinach or kale. They’re loaded with iron, potassium, fiber and vitamins galore. If you’re not sure which leafy greens to use in your smoothie, check out my Ultimate Leafy Greens Guide for Smoothies.
What blender do I need to make a spinach smoothie?
Any blender will work, yet to get the creamiest green smoothie you’ll need a high speed blender. Check out The Ultimate Blender Guide, where I reviewed countless blenders to find the best ones for green smoothies. The key is to get rid of leafy chunks, blend quickly and provide tons of value for the price. Hint: not all of them cost $400.
Can I make a green smoothie ahead of time
My Favorite Smoothie Tips And Tricks
- Add the liquid first add your liquid to the base of the blender first. This helps make the smoothie easier to blend.
- Start slow start the blender speed on low and then gradually turn it up before bringing it to full speed for the best results.
- Use frozen produce for this recipe its really important that you use at least a frozen banana to ensure you get that really thick, delicious creamy texture. Otherwise the smoothie will be too watery.
- Ditch the ice if you typically add a ton of ice to your smoothies it may be tempting to add it to this one but trust me you do not need it. Just use frozen strawberries and a banana instead to keep things cold and creamy.
Recommended Reading: How To Make A Strawberry And Banana Smoothie Bowl
Tips For Making Delicious And Healthy Vegetable Smoothies
- Make sure to include protein, healthy fats and carbs for a nutritionally well balanced smoothie.
- Avoid added sweeteners like sugar, honey or maple syrup by adding fruits like banana, mango or pineapple instead to sweeten your smoothie.
- Use more vegetables than fruit to lower the amount of sugar, up the fiber and increase the nutritional benefits.
- Add protein-rich ingredients to make your smoothie more filling.
- Measure your high calorie ingredients to ensure you dont go overboard.
- Try to keep your meal replacement smoothies to about 400 calories and a snack-size smoothie to about 200 calories.
Ingredients In The Best Green Smoothie Recipe
This green smoothie recipe happens to be both vegan and dairy free, making it a great choice for just about anyone plus theres no sweeteners added. Yep, thats right, this green smoothie is sweet enough on its own thanks to tropical fruit so there isnt any need to add unnecessary sweeteners. Just the fruits and veggies, Mom!
Also Check: How To Make A Simple Fruit Smoothie
Popular Substitutions & Additions
- I love all of the health benefits and the texture of baby spinach, but if kale is your favorite, or just happens to be what you have on hand, feel free to substitute that for the spinach.
- I always top my smoothies with a little bit of cinnamon. You can also add a little dash of turmeric on the top. Youll barely taste it, and it has tons of health benefits. If you have a powder, such as collagen powder, that you mix into a drink each day, you can also add that into this smoothie.
- For some additional health benefits, you can also add in flax or chia seeds. You wont even taste them!
- If you have a nut allergy or sensitivity, you can switch out the almond butter for sunflower butter. Because sunflower butter is not quite as thick as almond butter, this may change the texture a little.
Healthy Green Smoothie Recipe
Nothing helps to kick start your morning like a healthy green smoothie. Green smoothies are one of my familys favorite way to start the day especially during the summer when you want something cold and refreshing. This green smoothie is deliciously creamy and easy to make with spinach, avocado, mango and almond milk. The best part about making smoothies is that they are super simple to customize depending on what you like or have in your fridge. They are portable and perfect if your mornings are busy and you need something quick to fill you up when youre on the go. They also work great as an after workout snack and you can prep the ingredients ahead on your Sunday meal prep!
You May Like: Vegan Breakfast Smoothie For Weight Loss
How To Make A Green Smoothie Taste Good
The question everyone asks when it comes to green smoothiesCan you taste the greens?
When youre making a green smoothie, you want to be careful with how much veggies you add to it. If you add in too much spinach or kale, you may end up with a smoothie that tastes likewell, spinach or kale!
I generally add about a handful of spinach or kale to my green smoothies, which I find is the perfect amount. Another trick to making a green smoothie taste good is to use tropical fruits like mango or pineapple!
Are Breakfast Smoothies Good For Weight Loss
- Filling breakfast smoothies that are high in protein and low in calories can be good for weight loss. Choosing hearty breakfast smoothies will help make sure you arent starving by mid-morning.
- See the Healthy Breakfast Smoothies for Weight Loss category below for recipe ideas.
Note: The above is a general guideline. For more information or specific recommendations for your own diet, please contact a nutritionist or your doctor.
Don’t Miss: Really Good Blender For Smoothies
Yellow Fruit And Turmeric Smoothie
Turmeric is a time-honored superfood with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Powered by curcumin, one of its primary substances, the spice may help boost memory, ease joint pain, lower the risk of certain cancers, and lessen the symptoms of depression. What are you waiting for? Make this smoothie thats bursting with the stuff.
Watch How To Make This Healthy Orange Creamsicle Smoothie
If you are also a smoothie lover then you may be looking for a little more inspiration when it comes to your daily drink. Thankfully, weve got you covered with over 15 of the best healthy smoothie recipes on All the Healthy Things!
Whether youre craving something thick and creamy or a little more light and fruity, there is a smoothie for everyone on this list!
Recommended Reading: Smoothie King Age To Work
Select Fruit To Balance The Greens
Finally pick a fruit to balance out the flavor of the leafy green. For a green smoothie, I recommend using pineapple, banana, mango, pear, kiwi, avocado, green apples, or any combination of these, or other yellow and green fruits. I love using frozen fruit when possible to get a smooth and creamy texture.
Those are the three essential ingredient types for making a green smoothie. Then you can addmore flavor, more sweetness, more texture, or more nutritional value with all kinds of added ingredients. This includes seeds, protein powders, natural sweeteners, nuts or nut butters, oils or spices.
Place all in ingredients in a blender and blend until its smooth with no chunks of leafy greens or fruits.
Dont forget to taste it! Here, you can decide if your green smoothie needs a sweetener, if its too thick or not cold enough or if it needs any extra ingredients. Some common adjustments I make are adding honey if the fruit wasnt ripe enough, adding lemon juice to cut the bitterness of some greens, or adding cinnamon to give it a warm flavor.
Then make sure to drink this green smoothie right after you blend it for the best consistency! Its the worst when a smoothie settles in the fridge and separates into parts. But if that happens just shake it up or mix it before drinking. If you have any left over, you can keep it in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
How To Meal Prep A Green Smoothie
One of the things I love about smoothies is how easy they are to meal prep in advance. You can just chop the fruit, wash the greens, portion them and place them in the freezer ready to blend whenever you fancy having a smoothie. I love to place the fruit in glass jars but I have to admit that getting the frozen chunks of fruit out can be a bit of a challenge if you are in a hurry.
To make your life easier, you can use reusable freezer bags, or just make sure your glass jar has a big opening. Plus leave it out of the freezer for 10-15 minutes before blending.
Once you are ready, just place the portioned ingredients in the blender, add your liquid and superfood adds-in.
If you use frozen greens and fruit, your smoothie will be much thicker to start with. I like it that way, especially in the summer. If you prefer a more liquid version, you can either add more liquid or let it rest for a few extra minutes before drinking it.
TIP OF THE DAY: When I am in a hurry, and its wintertime here, as much as I love meal prep, I really dont want to be drinking a frozen smoothie. So I place my blended green smoothie in the microwave for 30 seconds and voila! I have a perfect room-temperature delicious smoothie.
Don’t Miss: Tasty Smoothie Recipes For Weight Loss
Best Green Smoothie Recipe
How to make the best green smoothie recipe! A simple green smoothie for beginners that is healthy, tastes amazing, and it’s made with 4 ingredients in less than 5 minutes! Plus my tips on meal prepping smoothies!
This post is sponsored by my friends at Vitamix. As always, all opinions, photos, videos and the recipe are completely my own!
I drink a green smoothie every day, and have for almost a decade! So this post, explaining “how to make a green smoothie” with all my tips and tricks has been something I’ve wanted to write since I started this blog! This is a long and comprehensive post and video, so settle in while we get started!
I’ll start by sharing how to meal prep smoothies! I’m always prepared to make a delicious green smoothie in a moment’s notice. Because every minute in the morning before the kids wake up is precious! I don’t want to waste any time measuring protein powder, chopping fruit, etc.
Next, I’ll share my favorite green smoothie recipe! It’s a simple green smoothie for beginners that is naturally sweetened with fruit and loaded with greens and protein!
Why You Will Love These Breakfast Cookies
- High in Protein and Fiber: 6 grams of protein, 3 grams of fiber, and that’s without the healthy mix-ins.
- Low in sugar: only 5 grams per cookie
- Vegan and Gluten Free
- Easy to make ahead and store for grab-and-go breakfast or healthy snacks.
- High in nutrients. Each cookie is packed with 4 grams of protein and 4 gram and fibre to keep you feeling full all morning long.
- One-bowl recipe, no mixer is needed either
Recommended Reading: Navigate To The Nearest Smoothie King
Caramel Apple Overnight Oatmeal Smoothie
This vegan, gluten-free breakfast smoothie is perfect for cold mornings when youre craving a fall treat. Dont worry: Theres no caramel in this recipe. Instead, this blogger subs in dates to add natural sweetness, along with antioxidants, fiber, and minerals. Rolled oats also pack fiber and protein, while apples and cinnamon give that undeniably heartwarming taste. This dreamy mixture sits in the fridge overnight, saving you so much time in the mornings.
Tropical Papaya Perfection Smoothie
This coconut-infused breakfast smoothie tastes just as decadent as a milkshake. One sip will immediately transport you to a tropical island.
Cut 1 papaya into chunks and blend it with 1 cup of fat-free, plain yogurt, 1/2 cup fresh pineapple chunks, 1/2 cup crushed ice, 1 tsp. coconut extract, and 1 tsp. ground flaxseed. Process the mixture for about 30 seconds, or until its smooth and frosty.
Nutrition: 299 cal, 13 g pro, 64 g carb, 7 g fiber, 44 g sugars, 1.5 g fat
Recommended Reading: How To Make A Strawberry Smoothie Recipe
Optional But Recommended For The Best Green Smoothie:
- Ginger helps digestion. Youll need just 1 teaspoon and I promise you can barely taste it but feel free to leave it out if you prefer.
- Pure vanilla extract makes your smoothie extra delicious
- Creamy nut butter or seed butter adds creaminess and extra healthy fats and protein.
- Plant-based protein powder we like Nuzest or Sprouted living for an extra serving of protein to give you extra energy anbd keep you full longer.
- Ground flax seeds, hemp seeds or chia seeds for extra fiber and protein.
- Liquid sweetener of choice we typically dont add any sweetener to our smoothies but feel free to add some if you prefer your smoothies sweetener. You can use maple syrup, yacon syrup, date syrup, pure liquid monk fruit, sugar-free syrup, or pure liquid stevia.
More Healthy Cookie Recipes
- Let cool.
To add chocolate top
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave for 60 seconds. Heat up milk in a separate container the same way. Stir the milk into the melted chips.
- To add a chocolate top, spoon 3 tbsp of melted chocolate onto each cooled cup or cookie. Allow to set.
- To dip, allow baked cookie to cool, then dip and sprinkle.
- Store cookies covered and at room temperature for 4 days, refrigerate for 2 weeks, or freeze for 3 months. Defrost at room temperature, or microwave for 15 seconds, or re-heat in an oven.
Recommended Reading: What Is A Good Smoothie Maker
Is It Healthy To Have A Smoothie Every Day
If youre looking to put your own blender to use and start making smoothies at home, youre already one step ahead with saving yourself money and ensuring you have full control over what goes into your drink. Enjoying a smoothie every day is totally fine if you make sure it has a good balance of nutrients.
That said, dietitians say its actually better to chew and swallow food rather than drinking it for fullness, so its probably best to limit your intake to one smoothie a day and enjoy proper meals and snacks throughout the day. And if youre aiming to make your smoothie a meal, try to include at least 25 grams of protein if its a snack, go for at least 10 grams of protein.
These delicious, healthy smoothies make it easier to eat right with nutrient-rich fruit and veggies, creamy milk, protein, probiotic-rich yogurt, and other nutritious ingredients. Just a note: Some of these recipes contain fruit juice or honey to up the sweetness, but if youre looking to cut added sugar from your diet, you can nix those ingredients.
Some of these recipes are from Smoothies & Juices, the book from Preventions Healing Kitchen series. Give these recipes a try, and feel free to tweak and experiment to create your own perfect blend.