Healthy Smoothies And Weight Loss
If you are drinking smoothies in an effort to lose weight, make sure to keep these points in mind:
- Not all smoothies are healthy. Drinking smoothies alone will not help you lose weight. Healthy smoothie recipes can contribute to your weight-loss plans, but only if youre choosing low-fat, low-calorie, low-sugar ingredients.
- Use portion control. Smoothies can contain more vegetables or fruit than you would eat raw and that means you are taking in more calories, carbohydrates and sugar than you think. Keep your smoothie at around 10 oz . If you make too much, freeze the extra portion for later.
- Smoothies can leave you feeling hungry. Make sure your smoothie contains the right balance of ingredients. Adding protein and healthy fats will help make you feel full longer. But be careful as these additions can also make the calorie count go up. If you feel the need to add healthy fats or protein, then consider adding a quarter of an avocado , half a cup of Greek yogurt or a tablespoon of peanut butter .
Yes, you can lose weight drinking smoothies but it needs to be part of an overall diet plan. Read more about meal prep and weight loss here.
Healthy Fruit Smoothie Faqs
What fruits are best for smoothies?
You can pretty much use any fruit you like in a smoothie. Try strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, banana, mango, peaches, cherries, pineapple, watermelon, you name it. For the best results, use frozen fruit. It makes for a creamier smoothie!
Are smoothies best with milk or water?
I definitely recommend using milk for your smoothie. It creates a creamier texture and better flavor. Dairy milk, almond milk, and coconut milk are all great options.
Do you put ice in a smoothie?
If youre using frozen fruit, no. It isnt necessary to use ice in a smoothie. Frozen fruit is the best way to get a cold and creamy smoothie without watering it down. If all you have is fresh fruit, or you like your smoothies super cold, it is fine to add ice.
Autoimmune Disease Healthy Journey:
Here is where I am going to get a little personal. I was a healthy and active girl when I got hit with an autoimmune disease that rocked my world. I visited the doctor and he performed an insane amount of blood tests to figure out what was going on with my body.
I was dealing with the debilitating effects of several autoimmune diseases — rheumatoid arthritis and Hashimoto’s thyroiditis diseases, among others.
I didn’t think I would be dealing with arthritis in my 30’s! My weight had even skyrocketed for no apparent reason .
After many blood tests confirmed I was dealing with several autoimmune issues, I was referred to both a rheumatologist and endocrinologist to deal with the effects of my immune system going haywire. The specialists wanted to put me on a host of medications to help with the swelling and inflammation, all with a list of negative side effects. I felt as if I was ALWAYS at the doctor. I didn’t want to just put on a band-aid.
I went home and my husband and I just sobbed together on the couch , afraid of what the future might hold. After a good cry, I felt determined to figure out what the ROOT cause of my health issues was. I started studying like crazy. I began driving around to every library in town, picking up stacks of health books, and researching everything I could about my disease. I became a full-on nerd!
Here are some of the healing vitamins, herbs and supplements that have helped me with my autoimmune diseases:
Also Check: Smoothie King Ingredients
Variations On This Strawberry Smoothie:
- You can always make things more interesting by mixing up the fruit: throw in some raspberries, pineapple, mango really, anything goes!
- Add grains theyre a great source of fiber, protein, and varying vitamins and minerals. Add quick oats, ground flax, or wheat bran to give your smoothie a boost and give it more staying power.
- Swap the yogurt and milk for probiotic yogurt and kefir Im a big believer in the power of probiotics and this is an easy way to get them!
- Add a scoop of protein powder if thats your schtik.
- Add a scoop of peanut butter or a spoonful of cocoa powder for a dessert-like treat.
Pin this recipe to save for later
Equipment For Healthy Smoothies
Having the right equipment is key to making healthy smoothies.
- The Vitamix personal series is great for making just one or two smoothies at a time
- So is the Magic Bullet or Nutri Bullet the only hang up here is that I find I have to replace these models once every couple years or so because the motor eventually burns out
- The Vitamix Ascent series is my fave though it’s self-cleaning so you aren’t left with a ton of mess and it’s perfect for if you’re prepping 3-4 smoothies at a time. It can tear through anything to make the smoothest smoothie, even ice!
You can of course get a mid-range blender too, really any blender will work. But if it takes 3 or more tries to get that smooth texture without all the lumps, it can be a frustrating experience.
See how often you’re going to be making smoothies and if it’s going to be a consistent thing for you, your best bet is to invest in a high-powered blender that can minimize the time you spend making healthy smoothies.
Also Check: Small Smoothie Mcdonalds
Our 6 Best Healthy Smoothies
Searching for a healthy smoothie recipe? Check out these delicious recipes that are quick and easy to make for breakfast, as a snack or even dessert.
Smoothies are a go-to for many of us looking for something quick and healthy. Whether you’re in need of a grab-and-go breakfast or a fuss-free snack, smoothies are a great option that can satisfy even the pickiest of eaters.
With that said, not all smoothies are created equally. Loading up on high-sugar fruit and juices or adding lots of sweeteners can result in a less than healthy offering. Instead, try to balance the different elements in your smoothie when aiming for something that will keep you fuller for longer. Mixing both fruits and vegetables can result in a higher fibre content, while still maintaining a sweet taste. Additionally, including items like nuts, milk and yogurt can boost the protein and healthy fat content, helping you to feel fuller throughout the day.
Here Are 16 Healthy Smoothies To Jumpstart Your Day
I wanted to share them all in one place so you can choose your favorite smoothie to enjoy during your day! Each smoothie is made with incredibly nutritious superfoods, naturally sweetened with fruits and vegetables, vegan, and absolutely delicious!
I also want to share with you my favorite superfoods to use in case you want to develop any new creations on your own! If you want to learn about 6 superfoods you can easily eat daily, watch this video where I share everything you need to know!
Recommended Reading: Coffee High Protein Smoothie King
Best Fruits For High Protein Fruit Smoothies
The great thing about protein fruit smoothie recipes is that just about any fruit works. I like using frozen fruit in my smoothies because you can skip the step of adding ice. Try these fruits in your next smoothie:
Veggies and other non fruits add a nutritional punch to shakes, too. Consider spinach, avocado, kale, and cucumber.
List Of Healthy Superfoods:
- Kale insanely low in calories, powerful anti-oxidant with anti-inflammatory properties, and helpful for arthritis and autoimmune diseases
- Spinach the beauty of spinach lies in how easy it is to disguise the taste. Its mild tasting yet packed with vitamins, has anti-cancerous properties, and is one of the healthiest foods on the planet
- Blueberries – one of the highest antioxidant capacities of all fruit which helps to combat free radicals in your body
- Strawberries – just one serving provides more vitamin c than an orange while being low in natural sugars
- Greek Yogurt – double the protein and half the carbs as regular yogurt
- Cucumber since its 95% water, its an incredible detoxifier and helps with liver and kidney function
- Lemon one of the most important items to stock in your kitchen as its a highly effective cleansing agent and cuts through the bitterness of greens
- Banana an essential in smoothies as it adds creaminess, a touch of sweetness, and helps you feel full longer plus, its rich in potassium and fiber and gives you natural energy
- Turmeric – anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties
- Ginger – aids in digestion and supports the immune system
- Chia + Flaxseeds – rich is Omega-3 and fiber benefits
If you are looking to add fruit and vegetable JUICE recipes to your diet as well, .
For extra detoxification benefits, a lemon turmeric flush first thing in the morning will do the trick. This isn’t for the faint of heart. It’s super simple.
Read Also: Smoothie King Box Office
Tropical Papaya Perfection Smoothie
This coconut-infused breakfast smoothie tastes just as decadent as a milkshake. One sip will immediately transport you to a tropical island.
Cut 1 papaya into chunks and blend it with 1 cup of fat-free, plain yogurt, 1/2 cup fresh pineapple chunks, 1/2 cup crushed ice, 1 tsp. coconut extract, and 1 tsp. ground flaxseed. Process the mixture for about 30 seconds, or until its smooth and frosty.
Nutrition :299 calories, 1.5 g fat, 13 g protein, 64 g carbs , 44 g sugars
Add In Ideas To Make Your Smoothie Even Healthier
- Chia Seeds High in protein, antioxidants, omega-3, fiber, magnesium and potassium.
- Hemp Hearts High in protein, omega-3 and 6
- Flax Meal High in fiber, omega-3 and lignans
- Oats High in soluble fiber, iron, antioxidants. Also great for lowering cholesterol and low in fat.
- Almonds High in antioxidants and vitamin E. Can help lower harmful cholesterol.
- Spiralina Powder High in vitamin A and a natural source of chlorophyll.
- Matcha High in EGCG which is thought to promote heart health, brain health and weight loss. Also calms the mind and relaxes the body, among many other things.
- Turmeric High in anti-inflammatory properties. Also, increases antioxidant capacity of your body. Can be used fresh or in powder form.
- Ginger High in anti-inflammatory properties. Aids with nausea and upset stomach. Can be used fresh or in powder form.
Also Check: Low Carb Low Sugar Smoothie King
How To Make A Smoothie
Im a BIG fan of smoothie recipes that are EASY and simple. To me, half the point of a smoothie is to have a delicious and nutritious meal/ snack that can be made in 5 minutes TOPS.
So making a healthy smoothie is easy around here. Step 1: gather your ingredients. Step 2: add those ingredients to your blender. Step 3: BLEND until creamy, adding a little extra liquid if needed to get your blender going. Step 4: Pour and ENJOY!
Its absolutely that easy to make a smoothie which is why I LOVE having them on a daily basis.
If youre brand new to smoothies: I suggest following a few recipes first. Once youve made a good handful of them, you can start really experimenting with new flavor combos and ratios of ingredients. Have fun with it!
Looking to add more greens to your smoothies?? Try freezing the greens using THIS TUTORIAL!
Green And Red Powders
You can also find greens powders, reds powders, and powders that contain a little of both. Greens powders simply include a variety of vegetables, particularly those that are good for your health, like the dark leafy greens.
Red powders tend to rely on fruit instead, focusing on fruits that are high in antioxidants, like berries. Beetroot is sometimes included as well, partly because it has the same color as berries, but also because beetroot contains desirable nutrients.
Powders like these are perfect as a concentrated source of nutrients.
After all, its much easier to add a scoop or two of green powder into your smoothie than a couple of handfuls of spinach. For that matter, many powders incorporate more fruits and vegetables than you could ever fit into a single smoothie.
If you are going to use powders, pay close attention to the ingredients label. Look for companies that use hardly any artificial ingredients, additives, or fillers.
Recommended Reading: Lowest Calorie Smoothies At Tropical Smoothie
Bob’s Red Mill Nutritional Booster
We’re big fans of Bob’s here at Eat This, Not That!, and this smoothie booster is no exception. It’s pretty much a one-stop shop for adding healthy ingredients to your cup and is made from pea protein powder, chicory root fiber, psyllium husk powder, chia seeds, and beneficial probiotics. If you’ve been dreaming of sipping a smoothie but want to make sure it’s going to be good for your belly, look no further.
How Do I Make Smoothies If I Dont Like Bananas
Lucky for you, we have an entire post of recipes to make a smoothie without banana. Try those recipes, or tweak any of the recipes below by:
- Subbing in 1/2 cup additional plain Greek yogurt , plus 1 tablespoon additional sweetener and a handful of ice cubes in place of the frozen banana in these recipes.
- Other options: canned pineapple, sweetened yogurt, canned pears. Adding half a ripe avocado can really help make up for the creaminess that bananas usually add, too.
Recommended Reading: Keto Champ Berry Net Carbs
How Can I Make My Smoothie Healthier
The smoothie recipes below are plain, but if you want to expand your smoothie horizons, go for it! Toss in chia seeds or protein powder or hemp seeds or flax or whatever else makes your heart happy. If you have a standard set of mix-ins you like, you can even freeze them into booster packsgreat for really quick and easy smoothies!
What Do You Put In A Breakfast Smoothie
- Healthy Fats. Your favorite nut butter, coconut milk, or chia seeds. This makes the smoothie more satisfying and keeps you full between meals. Keep portions in mind I usually add about 1 tablespoon.
- Protein and Fiber Additions. Greek yogurt or your favorite protein powder are easy ways to make breakfast protein smoothies. A tablespoon of oatmeal adds fiber.
- Fruit. Breakfast fruit smoothies are always a crowd-pleasing choice. Strawberries and blueberries are my go-tos. Bananas make smoothies naturally sweet. Mango and pineapple can hide the taste of greens. Unexpected fruits like apples or watermelon can be scrumptious too.
- Vegetables. Spinach, kale, avocado, carrots, and even beets can all be added to smoothies.
- Flavor Additions. Vanilla, cinnamon, honey, maple syrup, and dates are all excellent ways to give your smoothie more flavor.
- Liquid. Unsweetened almond milk is my favorite for smoothies. You can also use juice , a different kind of milk, coconut water, or even plain water.
Don’t Miss: Dr Oz 10 Day Green Smoothie Cleanse
Muuna Low Fat Plain Cottage Cheese
Cottage cheese gets a bad rap for its consistency, but it’s way more than just that weird thing your grandma always ate straight from the tub. Muuna cottage cheese comes in single serve containers and offers 10 different flavors, deeming it the perfect addition to your smoothie. It’s full of calcium and protein and also contains probiotics that will improve gut health!
How To Make Smoothies Sweeter
Now, I know you’re probably wondering how the heck you make your smoothies sweeter then!
We all have varying levels of taste when it comes to sweetness. For me personally, as I’ve incorporated less sugar into my diet over time, I’ve gotten used to things tasting less sweet.
Bananas are great natural sweeteners and they are often more than enough when you’re making a smoothie.
Here are some other sweetener ideas below:
Read Also: Breville Juicer Cold Press
Fantastic Healthy Smoothie Ingredients And Add
May 27, 2020
Smoothies have become popular as breakfast alternatives or as something to enjoy during the day. Theyre not just indulgent treats either. When made well, a smoothie can be a powerful source of nutrients. Choosing healthy smoothie ingredients and add-ins plays a large role in how good your smoothie ends up being.
So, in this list, were highlighting some of the best ingredients that you can turn to. These have various advantages. Some of them contain antioxidants and phytonutrients, which may help to improve your health in a variety of ways.
Others are perhaps more mundane, acting as sources of important nutrients like protein and fiber, or simply changing the texture of your smoothie. There are many options to choose from, so your smoothies dont need to be the same every day. Instead, you can change them regularly to create delicious drinks with exciting flavor profiles.
One final note before we dive in. There is no single definition for healthy foods versus unhealthy ones. People vary in their opinions, especially when it comes to ingredients that are high in fat versus those that are high in carbs.
So, use your own discretion when looking at this list. Use your own diet and food preferences as a guide to which smoothie additions will be healthy for you.
- Green And Red Powders
Best Protein Powders For High Protein Fruit Smoothies
The options for protein powder are plenty. Look for brands that are minimally processed and without added sugars or artificial sweeteners. I like the Naked Nutrition brand because the ingredients are minimal, and because you have options for pea, whey, and egg protein, among others. Lets look a little more closely at the options:
That all being said, you can certainly get naturally-occurring protein from chia seeds, flaxseeds, nut butter, spinach, and egg white, too!
You May Like: Is Smoothie King Healthy