Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
Deliciously creamy chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie that seriously tastes like a Wendys frosty! This healthy chocolate banana smoothie recipe is made with just five ingredients and is easy to customize with your favorite nutritional boosters. The perfect breakfast, snack or even dessert!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my policy page.
If you grew up dipping crispy french fries into your cold, creamy Wendys frosty, wow do I have a surprise for you. This epic chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie literally tastes JUST like a frosty but is naturally sweetened with fruit and made with five simple ingredients.
I made this last summer on repeat and absolutely had to share it again! Enjoy this chocolatey goodness for breakfast, a filling snack or even a healthy dessert any day of the week. French fries optional but recommended.
Our Favorite Nutritional Boosters
This easy chocolate peanut butter smoothie is great for adding your go-to nutritional boosters. Here are some of our favorites to add:
- Flaxseed meal: this is one of my favorite ingredients to add to smoothies for a little boost of fiber and minerals, and is especially great for nursing mamas as flaxseed can help increase milk supply. Usually, a tablespoon is plenty! Heres a brand I love.
- Hemp seeds: feel free to throw a tablespoon of hemp seeds into your smoothie for a boost of healthy fats, omegas and minerals.
- More veggies: you could also try adding some frozen cauliflower for an extra boost, or adding a handful of spinach or kale. Youll never be able to taste them!
- Protein: Easily add more protein to a smoothie by adding some greek yogurt or 1 scoop of your favorite protein powder. I recommend Vital Protein collagen peptides or Four Sigmatic Plant-Based Protein Powder.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Shake
How could this not be good though? It has three of the best flavors, banana, peanut butter and chocolate all together in one decadent morning treat.
Note that the sweetness of this smoothie comes from the ripeness of the bananas so be sure to use some that are well ripened. If you still would like it a little bit sweeter you could add in a little honey or cut back a touch on the cocoa powder.
This is one creamy, protein rich smoothie you are going to love!
You May Like: Smoothies For Kids To Make
Oaxaca Chocolate Banana Smoothie
This getting older business is rough, isnt it? Im only beginning to notice the effects. My smile lines seem just a little deeper. Silver strands are infiltrating my dark hair. Hangovers hurt more than they used to. Im even shopping for comfortable shoes .
On the upside, Im getting wiser, too. Im not taking failed relationships quite so personally, because most arent meant to be. If a job doesnt suit me, Ill find a better one. If a friend makes me feel small, out she goes! Its never easy, but every time I take a leap toward the brighter side, Im better for it.
Take this smoothie. I used to sip on a similar smoothie at a raw, vegan restaurant where I worked for a brief time. I waited tables on the weekends just to learn from the chefs, and I learned a lot about food presentation and vegetable preparation. It wasnt a happy place, though, so I was glad to leave once I had learned enough.
I got this smoothie out of the deal, too. Its rich and creamy, gently spiced with cinnamon and cayenne pepper , and naturally sweetened with ripe bananas. Its a nutritionally redeeming, grown-up chocolate frostymy favorite frozen summer treat.
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Optional sweetener: ½ teaspoon maple syrup or honey
Ingredients In A Vegan Chocolate Smoothie
- Bananas: This smoothie is mainly made with frozen ripe bananas. They act as a natural sweetener and make it super creamy. Bananas are also a great source of potassium, magnesium, and vitamin B6.
- Cacao or cocoa: The chocolate flavor can either come from cacao powder or cocoa powder. Cacao contains more nutrients, a richer flavor, and is less processed.
- Almond milk: Since the recipe is vegan and dairy-free, were using almond milk. If you love another type of plant-based milk or consume dairy, feel free to use a different kind. I think its great with oat milk or coconut milk!
- Hazelnut butter: Chocolate hazelnut butter is optional, but it gives the smoothie a richer and deeper chocolate flavor. Also, I think it makes the beverage more filling and satisfying due to the healthy fats. You can try it with other types of nut butter, like peanut butter or almond butter. If you follow a nut-free diet, sunflower seed butter is a great alternative.
- Maple syrup: If you want the smoothie to taste even sweeter, add maple syrup. Other options include medjool dates, honey, agave nectar, and coconut nectar.
- Vanilla: Vanilla extract adds a warm, sweet flavor and pairs well with cacao.
- Salt: A pinch of salt enhances the rich chocolate flavor.
Read Also: Top Smoothie Recipes For Weight Loss
How To Make A Chocolate Banana Smoothie
Making a Chocolate Banana Smoothie is so easy! Heres how to make it in just 5 minutes:
TIP: I LOOOOOVE and highly recommend my Instant Ace Blender for quick smoothies at home! It blends to absolute perfection and is so easy to use . You can also set a timer and itll blend the smoothie for you while you do other things!
Chocolate Banana Smoothie Recipe
Chocolate Banana Smoothie is a perfect blend of an energy drink flavored with chocolate drink powder, a dash of chocolate sauce or cocoa powder blended with cold milk and ripe banana. Have it along with a wholesome breakfast.
Chocolate Banana Smoothie is a perfect blend of an energy drink flavored with chocolate drink powder, a dash of chocolate sauce or cocoa powder blended with cold milk and ripe banana. You can add a teaspoon of flaxseed powder as well to the smoothie more nutritious. The Chocolate Banana Milkshake is a great after school snack for the kids with a Chaat Style Mashed Potato Toasted Sandwich Recipe or could be served for the breakfast as well with Home Made Breakfast Granola Recipe.
Did you know: Bananas are good for the heart, digestive system and vision. They are packed with potassium, a mineral electrolyte that keeps electricity flowing throughout your body, which is required to keep your heart beating. Bananas’ high potassium and low sodium content may also help protect your cardiovascular system against high blood pressure. Banana is easy to digest and chew hence considered great food for the kids as well.
If you like this recipe, try more recipes like
- 1 teaspoon Flax seeds , powdered
- 2 cups Milk , chilled
You May Like: Strawberry Banana Blueberry Smoothie Recipe
How To Make Chocolate Banana Smoothie
Step 1. Prepare your bananas for 2 hours or overnight before making your smoothie. You will need to make sure they are peeled before freezing. In a blender, add all the ingredients and combine until smooth.
Step 2. In a glass, pour in the blended ingredients and top with chocolate chips before serving. Enjoy!
Tips For Making The Best Smoothie
1. Use frozen bananas. This is the key to creating an ice cream like texture, so make sure you have some bananas stashed in your freeze before you make this recipe.
Ive covered how to freeze bananas, but its important to know that you need to peel your bananas before you freeze them. The peels are nearly impossible to remove after they are frozen.
For the easiest blending, cut the bananas into small pieces so they will break down quickly in the blender. I usually freeze banana whole, then cut them later, but you can freeze them as coins first if you prefer.
2. Dont use too much liquid. If you want a thick and creamy texture, start with less liquid than you might expect to. I typically plan on a 1/2 cup of milk per 1 large frozen banana. You can always add ice later to help thicken up a smoothie, but that will dilute the flavor, so its best to start with less liquid, since you can always add more, as needed, to help everything blend.
3. Taste as you go. If you want something sweeter, you can add a squeeze of honey or a splash of maple syrup. If you prefer a darker chocolate flavor, add more cacao powder.
4. Serve right away. Smoothies have the best flavor and texture when you enjoy them straight from the blender. For a make-ahead option, you can freeze the ingredients in a storage bag, so they are ready to dump into the blender for a faster morning. Just add liquid and blend!
Don’t Miss: The 10 Day Green Smoothie Cleanse
How To Make Banana Chocolate Smoothies
The recipe card at the bottom of the page has the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions.
This quick vegan dessert recipe is so simple, it can hardly be called a recipe at all.
Simply peel a banana and add it along with plant milk, vanilla, cocoa powder, and ice to a blender.
I love to use almond milk or even vanilla-flavored almond milk in my smoothie but any plant milk will work just fine. Other great options are soy and rice milk.
Just a quick spin in a blender is all this recipe needs. You dont need a high-power blender, because any of them will do. More powerful blenders like my Vitamix will make these smoother but are not necessary.
How To Make A Banana Smoothie
Add all of your ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth! Taste test for thickness before adding more liquid.
If you have to use fresh bananas, you could use less milk or add in ice if youre in a pinch. But as noted above, I dont recommend it. Just get in the habit of freezing ripe banana chunks and youll always be set for making banana smoothies.
Also Check: What Is The Best Smoothie To Make To Lose Weight
What Else Can You Add To A Chocolate Banana Smoothie
Think of this recipe as a blank canvas. You can stick to the 4 simple ingredients or add even more to make the chocolate smoothie of your dreams. Heres what I recommend adding:
- Protein Add a scoop of your favorite chocolate or peanut butter flavored protein powder to turn this into the perfect post-workout snack.
- Oats Blending quick oats or rolled oats will also help make the smoothie extra filling.
- Coffee No time for a hot cup of coffee? Add a splash of cold brew, coffee, or espresso to the smoothie for a caffeine boost on the go.
- Seeds Like hemp seeds or chia seeds!
- Greens Frozen kale or spinach.
- Sweeteners If your smoothie isnt sweet enough, you can blend a drizzle of maple syrup, agave, or honey with it.
The Best Chocolate Banana Smoothie
A well-balanced smoothie has become one of my go-to choices for a quick breakfast. I love to pack them with seasonal fruit, healthy fats, and sometimes even greens for extra fiber and nutrition.
This creamy chocolate banana smoothie is a delicious blend of frozen banana, chocolate, almond butter, and more. It tastes like a creamy chocolate banana milkshake and is so easy to make!
I know youll love this recipe. Its perfect for a quick breakfast or healthy snack!
Read Also: What To Use To Make Smoothies
Healthy Chocolate Banana Smoothie
This smoothie might look and taste like a decadent dessert, but its actually full of nourishing, whole food ingredients that you can feel confident serving your kids
When youre striving to feed your kids right, its easy to fall into a pattern of binary thinking. Almost without realizing it, you might find yourself assigning categories to foods, like this:
Broccoli: good. Candy: bad. Carrots: good. Cupcakes: bad.
Its natural to look for patterns that can help us make quick decisions about what to eat. But when we can think about food in a more nuanced way, we can enjoy a lot more foods without feeling bad about our choices.
Healthy food can taste absolutely delicious and indulgent just like something we might think of as off limits.
This Chocolate Banana Smoothie is the perfect example. Its super sweet, creamy, and full-to-the-brim with kid appeal. AND its made from whole fruit, milk, and other nourishing ingredients.Buzz up this smoothie today and share it with your kiddos. Embrace the delicious complexity of healthy food!
Ingredients In The Best Chocolate Banana Smoothie
Theres not a lot to this chocolate banana smoothie. In fact, we developed it around ingredients we always have in our pantry and fridge. Heres what youll need to have on hand:
- Bananas: Heres the best part: no freezing necessary! You can use room temperature bananas. Youll just need lots of ice to get that perfect creamy texture.
- Greek yogurt: We love adding Greek yogurt to smoothies because its packed with protein, and it has probiotics for a healthy gut. You can skip this if youd like a vegan smoothie.
- Milk: You can use any type of milk here, dairy or non-dairy. Add more non-dairy milk for vegan.
- Cocoa powder: Heres what makes the chocolate, along with the sweetener.
- Maple syrup: Maple syrup is our sweetener of choice. You can also use honey or agave syrup.
- Ice: Add quite a bit of ice, and it all comes together into a smooth, chocolaty puree.
You May Like: What Do I Need To Make A Smoothie
Amp The Protein With Add
Want to add a little more protein to you chocolate banana smoothie? Here are our best recommendations, both plant-based and dairy protein:
- Peanut butter: What could a better pairing? Peanut butter goes hand in hand with chocolate and banana. It also adds a hit of plant-based protein. Try 1 to 2 tablespoons. Keep in mind that peanut butter increases the calories, but also makes this smoothie more filling.
- More Greek yogurt: Double the quantity of Greek yogurt in this recipe for an even more filling smoothie. This is great for breakfasts or post-workout snacks.
- Protein powder: You can always hide protein powder in smoothies! Typically we prefer not to over here because the flavor can leave an odd aftertaste. But this smoothie would be a good one to hide protein powder of any of our smoothie recipes since the chocolate can cover it.
How To Make The Creamiest Chocolate Banana Smoothie
With a few tips & tricks youll have the best creamy chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie every time:
You May Like: How To Make A Vegetable Smoothie
Can I Make It A Smoothie Bowl
Yes, of course! If you would like to turn this recipe into a chocolate banana smoothie bowl, simply adjust the amount of liquid. I recommend using ¼ cup almond milk which will give it a thick and creamy consistency.
Afterwards, pour it into a bowl and add all sorts of toppings. I recommend topping it with fresh fruit, granola, and nut butter. Enjoy with a spoon!
There Are Only Six Ingredients In This Smoothie Plus One Optional Ingredient
- Frozen ripe bananas: I always keep a bag of bananas in the freezer to make smoothies. They give smoothies natural sweetness and creaminess.
- They are a good source of fiber and potassium too.
- Unsweetened almond milk: Its smooth, slightly nutty, and dairy-free. A great option for those who are lactose intolerant or keeping to a vegan diet. Substitute with your choice of milk if you like.
- Baby spinach: One of my grocery staples. I eat a lot of baby spinach.
- Its wonderful to add to smoothies because its tender, mild in flavour, and full of good-for-you vitamins and nutrients like vitamins A and C as well as iron and magnesium.
You May Like: How To Make Your Own Smoothie