How Do You Make A Smoothie From Scratch
In short, making a smoothie is as simple as tossing ingredients into the blender and letting it do the work. The harder part is deciding what, and how much, goes into the pitcher.
A homemade smoothie can be as simple or complex as you choose to make it.
You can make an easy 2-ingredient strawberry smoothie by blending together frozen strawberries and a bit of milk. Or you could get really complicated and make a 12 ingredient mega smoothie with enough calories to last the day.
How To Make Homemade Smoothies
Homemade smoothies are a tasty way to add extra servings of fruits and vegetables into your diet. Whether you are looking for a delicious way to start your day or just need a healthier afternoon snack, knowing how to make a smoothie is a great way to expand your culinary knowledge and build your kitchen confidence.
What Are The Healthiest Things To Put Into Smoothies
For many people, smoothies are a meal in itself. Using a combination of fiber, protein, and healthy fats will ensure you remain fuller for longer. Here are some healthy ideas to add to your smoothie.
- Fruit Fresh or frozen fruit. Berries, pineapple, apples, bananas, mango, coconut and dates.
- Vegetables Spinach, kale, carrots, and even frozen cauliflower add extra nutrients, color, and barely add any flavors.
- Nuts and seeds Peanuts, almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds. Nut butters and seed butters are also fantastic, especially peanut butter or almond butter.
- Dairy Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, and even quark.
- Protein powder Add a protein boost with a scoop of protein powder .
- Grains Rolled oats, quinoa flakes, or barley flakes.
Also Check: Smoothie King Center Will Call
How Much Protein Is In This Peanut Butter Oatmeal Smoothie
This Peanut Butter Oatmeal Smoothie is loaded with protein. One serving packs in 14.7 grams of protein and 4.7 grams of fiber, making this a simple, yet filling, smoothie. Heres where all that protein comes from:
- 1/2 cup of Soy Milk -> 4 grams of protein
- 2 tablespoons Peanut Butter -> 8.0 grams
- 1 whole Banana -> 1.2 grams
- 1/4 cup Old Fashioned Oats -> 2.7 grams
You May Like: Is Premier Protein Covered By Food Stamps
How To Freeze Fruit For Smoothies
To make smoothies even easier, freeze fresh fruit into portions. You can even prepare smoothie packs and freeze them for a grab-and-blend smoothie option.
To freeze fruit for smoothies, rinse and chop fresh fruit into small pieces. Pat them dry then arrange, in one layer, on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Slide the baking sheet into the freezer and freeze until hard .
When the fruit is hard, divide it between freezer-safe bags and keep it in the freezer for your next smoothie.
Also Check: Smoothie King Center Interactive Seating Chart
Here Are 12 Healthy Ingredients To Add To A Smoothie:
1. Instead of using juice, upgrade with raw milk, raw cream, cultured kefir, or cultured yogurt. These foods will add extra probiotics, vitamin A, vitamin D, CLA and iodine to your smoothie.
2. Add an organic egg yolk for extra vitamin A, D, choline, B6 and B12. You actually cant taste it and it makes the smoothie extra creamy. I put them in my kids smoothies all the time!
3. A scoop or two of collagen peptides is a great way to add extra protein and this nutrient is also a powerhouse for the skin, hair and nails.
4. Add some leafy greens. Its best to consume cooked greens so cook the greens, drain them and then freeze them in an ice cube tray. You can do this with kale, spinach, mustard greens, and dandelion greens. Or, if youd like a shortcut, check out Dr. Cowens greens powder. They are cooked beforehand to reduce the goitrogens and then dehydrated and crushed into a fine powder.
5. Adding a handful of other frozen veggies such as butternut squash, steamed cauliflower, or even frozen peas along with your frozen fruit is a great way to add nutrients.
6. A spoonful of coconut oil is a great way to add some healthy saturated fat to make the smoothie more filling. Make sure and blend the smoothie really well, so you dont have any clumps!
10. A sprinkle of bee pollen in the smoothie or on top is a nice way to add some additional B-complex and folate.
What are your favorite healthy ingredients to add to a smoothie?
What Do I Use To Sweeten A Smoothie
All of these smoothies here use frozen fruit as a base, which adds a nice baseline of sweetness that you can build on if your tastebuds would like. My recommendation is to blend up your smoothie without any added sweetener, then taste. Add in honey or maple syrup to taste. Many times, I dont need to add anything! Another great natural option for sweetening: pitted Medjool dates. Throw in one or two of those bad boys and let the blender do its thing. Youd be amazed at how sweet your smoothie will be!
Read Also: Smoothie King Center Virtual Seating
Try Coconut Sesame And/or Olive Oil
Similar to avocado, plenty of popular oils like sesame, coconut, and olive oil are chock full of heart-healthy fats, which help stabilize blood sugar and keep you feeling full longer. Plus, they give an unexpected silkiness to a smoothie, and you only need to add a tablespoon or two for the nutritional benefits.
How To Make It
Unlike baking recipes, for instance, smoothie recipes do not have to use exact measurements. You can adjust according to taste. The only difference in choosing between fresh or frozen fruit is how thick you want it to be. Frozen will make for a more milkshake-thick smoothie, whereas fresh will get thickened up slightly by the ice, but have a more liquidy texture. Or you can combine frozen and fresh fruit.
You can use any kind of soft fruit you want, such as berries, bananas, peeled peaches or nectarines, melons, even grapes, and puree, and know you can always add a bit more fruit or ice to thicken it or a bit more milk to thin it out.
Read Also: Smoothing King Center Seating Chart
Ways To Add Protein To Your Smoothie Without Powder
As convenient as protein powders are, they often contain belly-bloating whey, questionable fillers, and unnecessary artificial sweeteners. You certainly don’t spend countless minutes planking and doing hours of cardio to have your efforts compromised by a processed product.
That being said, your distaste of chalky, pulverized protein shouldn’t be an excuse for leaving this macronutrient out of your blended beverages. The reasoning is simple: “Smoothies can be large whacks of carbs and sugar, especially if there’s no protein or healthy fat that slows digestion and prevents blood sugar from spiking,” explains Isabel Smith, MS, RD, CDN, New York City-based dietitian and fitness expert. Carb-laden smoothies are metabolized by your body quickly, which will spike your blood sugar and lead you to feel hungry again soon after you’ve finished sipping.
For these reasons, we’ve compiled 24 of nature’s gifts that add protein to your blended beverage. They’re game changers. Need a recipe to add these boosters to? We’ve got you covered. Check out these 56 Smoothies for Weight Loss.
Protein Payout: 18-20 g per 6 oz
If you prefer a milkshake consistency to your smoothie, Greek yogurt is your go-to. And when it comes to weight loss, fat burning and fitness fuel, few foods are more powerful. Not to mention, it’s loaded with probiotics that aid in digestion, plus calcium and vitamin D, which are essential for bone health.
More Info On Each Easy Smoothie Recipe:
Strawberry Banana Smoothie: This is a pretty, light pink, sweet, and creamy cold drink thats perfect all year long. Its forever one of my classic favorites, and I make sure to stock up on strawberries when theyre in season so I can freeze them for year-round enjoyment. My kids ask for this one all the time, so you can say its a household requirement around here!
Simple Tropical Smoothie: This has a sweet flavor and reminds you of summer, no matter what month it is. My sunshiny Henry loves this one its summer in a glass. The color is a lovely cream-orange, and its always a hit at our house. Costco sells frozen mango and pineapple cubed and ready to go for a great price.
Very Berry Simply Smoothie: This is made with mixed frozen berries that you can get in the freezer section, including blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries. I mean, who doesnt love berries?! It almost tastes like ice cream, and it hits the spot any time of day. I make it on movie nights and call it a milkshake. Meanwhile, my kids have no idea it doesnt actually include ice cream!
Peanut Butter Simple Smoothie: This one is a whole big glass of peanut buttery goodness that tastes like dessert but is packed with protein. I cant get over it. Its probably one of my very favorites because I love, love, love peanut butter.
You May Like: Small Smoothie Mcdonalds
Why You Should Make This Banana Smoothie
Ive made a version of this easy banana smoothie recipe more times than I can count. Its perfect on its own and is the best base recipe for adding more ingredients like fruit, nut butter, and veggies.
Here are a few more reasons we love it:
- You need less than 5 minutes to make it.
- You can use fresh or frozen bananas.
- Its easy to adapt to what you have in the kitchen.
- This smoothie is perfect for breakfast or a snack.
- Kids love it!
- You can even make the smoothie ahead of time, freeze it, and save it for later.
Best Healthy Smoothie Recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Check out 100+ healthy smoothie recipes and learn how to make your own unique healthy smoothies at home with our basic smoothie equation.
Say hello to the most beautiful smoothies on the internet! Smoothies are such a great healthy breakfast idea, snack, or even dinner! In less than 5 minutes you can enjoy multiple servings of fruit, veggies, healthy fats, and more!
PS: Check out our best Protein Shake Recipes, too!
You May Like: Smoothie King Center Concert Seating View
The Best Liquid Bases To Put In Your Smoothies
You may have made your smoothies many times and use dozens of varieties of fruits and vegetables, and this time you want to add some liquids to your smoothies.
Many of you probably add water or ice cubes to give some liquid consistency to your smoothies. There are a lot of options available when choosing the right liquid bases.
The choice of a liquid for making a smoothie can make or break your smoothie. It can determine the right harmony which exists between all ingredients when they come to a blend. More on that, a base can add more nutrition, flavor, and support creaminess.
So without further ado, here are the best liquids you can put in smoothies:
Can I Use Almond Milk In My Protein Smoothie
If you would rather use almond milk, despite its lower protein content, definitely considerhomemade almond milk from scratch. Its super easy and you can avoid the additives and added sugars that most commercial non-dairy milks have.
Plus making your own non-dairy milks is a great way to cut back on your grocery budget. Making things from scratch when its worth it is one of the principles I teach inGrocery Budget Bootcamp.
Recommended Reading: Which Protein Powder Can You Buy With Food Stamps
Read Also: Detox Smoothie Diet For Weight Loss
What If I Dont Like Bananas
Bananas are the backbone of my simple smoothie recipes to me, they add so much creaminess and natural sweetness for an affordable price. But, if theyre not your thing, you can add some Greek yogurt with a sweetener and ice, OR do half an avocado with a sweetener and ice. Those two combos will replace a banana nicely in a smoothie and still give you a rich, creamy texture.
Make any of these 8 Simple Smoothie Recipes today for you or your family and enjoy the balance of vegetables and fruits in these creamy, refreshing drinks!
Now you are a smoothie making expert and I hope that you have found some great smoothie inspiration to get you comfortable with making smoothies at home.
This is just a starting point though, feel free to play around with these base recipes and come up with your own favorite smoothie recipes to meet your needs and preferences!
Take the hassle out of meal planning with: Dinner Made Easy, a FREE 1 week meal plan with full shopping list, easy dinners, nutrition information, serving suggestions for each meal, and more!
Dried Fruits Add Just Enough Sweetness
Sometimes we all need a bit of sugar to get us through a long day, and dried fruit makes a great healthy option. According to ChefWorks, adding dried fruit like dates, raisins, and cherries give antioxidants and flavor to your smoothie.
Just as with nuts and grains, you can soak them for a few minutes prior to blending, and be sure to pick ones with no added sugar, as they’ll be sweet enough that you won’t need to put in honey or the sweetener of your choice.
Read Also: Smoothie King Coffee High Protein Vanilla
More Smoothie Blender Recommendations
I did want to share some other great blenders that I have personally owned and recommend depending on your price point.
Low cost:Ninja BL480D Blender$99 this is a great single serve blender for those that want to conserve space. Plus you cant beat the price point.
Medium cost:Ninja Kitchen System $229 Ive owned the Ninja Kitchen System for about 5 years and I love that its interchangeable between a blender, food processor, and single-serve smoothie blender. For $229, you really do get it all!
High cost:Vitamix 5200$429 at the highest price point, the Vitamix is THE BEST kitchen appliance Ive ever owned. It will literally crush, pulverize, mix, or puree anything and everything because its so powerful! I highly recommend, 10/10!
Are You Looking For Even More Smoothies No Worries Weve Got You Covered:
- Clementine Avocado Smoothie. If youve never added avocado to your smoothie before, you are missing out! The flavor is so mild, that you cant taste it, but the texture is dreamy, creamy smooth, and the healthy added fats help keep your fuller longer.
- Cold Buster Smoothie. When youre feeling under the weather and your throat is sore, this smoothie for colds is soothing and nourishing.
- Coffee Smoothie. Get a jolt of caffeine and your breakfast all in one cup! This is packed full of coffee flavor.
- Persimmon Smoothie. Packed full of autumnal flavor, this spiced smoothie is creamy and sweet!
- Spinach and Pear Smoothie. Bright green and fresh in flavor, this smoothie is a perfect light breakfast.
- Sweet Potato Smoothie. Sweet potato in a smoothie? YUP! It tastes like a delicious pie. Youll love it!
- Apple Smoothie. This smoothie is packed full of healthy spinach, but tastes like apple pie!
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie. This pumpkin smoothie is perfect for the weather is still warm but your heart wants fall to show up.
- Dark Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie. This smoothie is rich and dark, and it tastes decadent enough you could sip on it for dessert!
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Smoothie. All the flavors of your favorite sandwich in a tasty smoothie! Pick your favorite jelly to add to this peanut butter smoothie.
- Tart Cherry and Spinach Smoothies. We show serving this cherry smoothie as a light breakfast in a bowl, but you could easily pour it in a glass and sip away!
Read Also: Smoothie Center Seating Chart
Peaches And Cream Oatmeal Smoothie
No time for a leisurely meal? Try this grab-and-go, probiotic-rich take on morning oatmeal. Whole-grain oats contain prebiotic fiber that promotes gut health.
This recipe from Preventions Smoothies & Juicesmakes two smoothies: Blend 1/2 cup whole milk, 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1 cup frozen peaches, 1/2 frozen banana, and 1/2 cup ice until smooth.
Nutrition : 217 calories, 5.5 g fat , 11 g protein, 33 g carbs , 15 g sugars
Caramel Apple Overnight Oatmeal Smoothie
This vegan, gluten-free breakfast smoothie is perfect for cold mornings when youre craving a fall treat. Dont worry: Theres no caramel in this recipe. Instead, this blogger subs in dates to add natural sweetness, along with antioxidants, fiber, and minerals. Rolled oats also pack fiber and protein, while apples and cinnamon give that undeniably heartwarming taste. This dreamy mixture sits in the fridge overnight, saving you so much time in the mornings.
You May Like: Raw Sugar The Moisture Smoothie
How To Blend The Perfect Smoothie
Depending on the strength of your blender , the order you put your ingredients in the blender could influence the overall texture. Heres how we like to layer ingredients into the blender:
Start the blender off slowly, then gradually increase the speed. Blend for 30 to 60 seconds until the smoothie is as smooth as possible.