What Do I Use To Sweeten A Smoothie
All of these smoothies here use frozen fruit as a base, which adds a nice baseline of sweetness that you can build on if your tastebuds would like. My recommendation is to blend up your smoothie without any added sweetener, then taste. Add in honey or maple syrup to taste. Many times, I dont need to add anything! Another great natural option for sweetening: pitted Medjool dates. Throw in one or two of those bad boys and let the blender do its thing. Youd be amazed at how sweet your smoothie will be!
Orange Strawberry Squash Smoothie
This two-serving sipper is a delicious way to help you reach your daily fruit and veggie requirements. Like many smoothies, you could blend it into a drink or a smoothie bowl. If you want to make more of a meal out of it, add protein-rich enhancers, like protein powder or Greek yogurt.
This smoothie bowl packs 27 g of protein to power you through a long morning. Plus, wild blueberries are packed with antioxidants and fiber.
If a non-dairy smoothie is more your style, this one, with plant-based protein powder, makes a delicious and filling meal.
Cottage cheese provides the protein in this layered drink. Its made parfait-style so the smoothie and cottage cheese are kept separateperfect for days when you want to dig in with a spoon.
How To Make A Healthy Smoothie
1.Start with liquid. Water, juice, non-dairy milk, milk, and even green tea or coconut water are all good low-calorie, low-sugar options.
2. Add protein and fat for staying-power. Nut butter, garbanzo beans, yogurt, silken tofu, and avocado are all great choices for flavor and texture.
4. Add fresh or frozen fruit. Almost any cut fresh or frozen fruit is delicious. When a smoothie recipe uses fresh fruit, add ice cubes to the blender along with the fresh fruit to give it better texture.
- To freeze bananas, peel and cut into 1-inch pieces. Place the slices on a baking sheet to freeze and then transfer the frozen pieces to a resealable freezer bag to store.
- To freeze fresh berries, spread on a baking sheet, freeze, and store in resealable freezer bags. Check out more tips on How to Freeze Fruits.
5. Don’t forget a flavor booster! Herbs, spices, and other flavorings such as mint, ginger, cinnamon, vanilla extract or cocoa powder can help create a custom flavor. For an extra hit of nutrition, add ground flax seeds, chia seeds, or wheat germ.
6. Blend until smooth and enjoy. To make clean-up easier, rinse out the blender right after you use it and re-blend a few cups of water with a few drops of dish soap to clean it out.
You May Like: Mielle Pomegranate And Honey Curl Smoothie
How To Layer Smoothie Ingredients
The order in which you add the ingredients to the blender is important to creating a smoothie with a velvety smooth consistency. The way you layer smoothie ingredients depends on the size of the blender:
- Large blenders : Add wet ingredients first . Then add powdered ingredients, followed by the softer, high-moisture leafy greens, fresh fruits and vegetables. Last add hard, solid foods .
- Small blenders : Add harder ingredients first. Then add softer fruits and vegetables, followed by leafy greens and dry ingredients . Finally add the wet ingredients.
And to sum it all up, heres an infographic on how to make a smoothie awesome!
Dont stress when making smoothies. Learning how to make smoothies should be fun, experimental and stress-free. The more you experiment, the more youll find out what you really like. If you come up with some wild and interesting concoctions, let us know in the comments below!
Did we miss your favorite ingredient or do you have a favorite smoothie recipe? Leave a comment and let me know!
Adding Extra Nutrition To This Coffee Smoothie
You can enhance any smoothie by adding additional nutritious ingredients to really make it your own. Here are a few suggestions that you can add to this coffee smoothie:
- Flaxseed meal: this is one of my favorite ingredients to add to smoothies for a little boost of fiber and minerals, and is especially great for nursing mamas as flaxseed can help increase milk supply. Usually, a tablespoon is plenty! Heres a brand I love.
- Chia seeds: feel free to add in a tablespoon of chia seeds to your smoothie for a boost of healthy fats and fiber.
- Hemp seeds: if youve been wondering what to do with those hemp seeds lurking in your cupboard, feel free to throw in a tablespoon into your smoothie for a boost of healthy fats, omegas and minerals.
- Oats: to add a little heartiness to your smoothie and to help thicken it, feel free to add in 1/3 cup oats. Do not use steel cut oats as they will not blend well.
- Avocado: add healthy fats and create a thick, creamy smoothie by adding ripe avocado. Usually 1/4 or 1/2 of an avocado will be sufficient and also help to keep you satisfied thanks to those healthy fats.
You May Like: Strawberry Banana Smoothie Mcdonald’s Nutrition
How To Make Ahead + Store Smoothies
- No time in the morning to whip up a smoothie? NO PROBLEM. You can make most smoothies the night before and store them in the refrigerator.
- To Store. Store blended smoothies in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. Place the smoothie in an airtight jar the less air touching the smoothie, the better. Stir before serving.
- To Make Ahead. Prepare the smoothie as directed, then pour into an airtight freezer-safe mason jar and freeze for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
How To Measure Smoothie Ingredients
I too am guilty of looking at a smoothie recipe and then throwing a bit of everything into the pitcher. I could end up with a 12 ounce breakfast or a 24 ounce drink-me-all-day. Sometimes though, its nice to know exactly how much smoothie Im going to end up making.
Maybe you are counting calories. Perhaps you dont want to end up with leftovers. Maybe you never make enough for your kids to share. No matter your reason, sometimes its just makes life easier to know.
How do I do this without dirtying a pile of measuring cups and spoons? A kitchen scale!
Simply place the pitcher on your scale and hit the tare button to zero it out. Add the ingredients, pressing tare between each one, to measure exactly how much goes into the pitcher. Best of all you do it without dirtying a single measuring utensil.
Don’t Miss: Smoothie Recipes For Cancer Patients
How To Make A Smoothie With Or Without Ice
If you want to skip the iceand the resulting brain freezeyou totally can. This is the beauty of making your own smoothie you can make it however you want.
I adore lots of ice in the summertime months which makes it fluffy and cold, and none in the winter, where it’s more comforting and dense, says Adler.
Super Easy Fruit Smoothie Recipes
Oh yes, fruit combinations are endless in smoothies! And that makes it all the more fun to experiment with new flavors and vibrant colors. Just remember to make the most of whats in season. Stock up on mangos in the summer and persimmons in the winter. Then blend those with year round fruits such as bananas or apples to create easy, tasty, and refreshing options.
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie: This is a classic combo that never fails and can be enjoyed all year round!
- Mango Smoothie: Mangos are blended with bananas and milk for a sweet and creamy summertime recipe.
- Mandarin Breakfast Smoothie: This creamsicle dream is brimming with Vitamin C, and plenty of power ingredients to kickstart your morning!
- Strawberry Acai Smoothie: If youve got frozen acai packs, blend them with strawberries and bananas to create a vitamin-packed smoothie.
- Peach Breakfast Smoothie: Enjoy the best of peach season with a breakfast smoothie full of creamy yogurt, chia seeds, and a few easy spices.
- Almond Orange Smoothie: Oranges, bananas, almond butter, and vanilla beans make for a simple smoothie thats packed with flavor and nutrients. Bonus, it tastes like an Orange Julius!
- Post Workout Green Smoothie: Try this easy combo of spinach, apples, bananas, avocado, and protein powder to complete your workout routine.
Recommended Reading: Smoothie King Vs Tropical Smoothie
My Criteria For A Great Detox Smoothie
When I make a smoothie, it needs to satisfy three basic criteria:
1. It needs to look gorgeous: We eat first with our eyes, and nobody wants to drink anything that looks like swamp water!
2. It needs to be mind-blowingly delicious: Life is too short to eat food that isnt scrumptious.
3. It needs to be nutrient-dense with awesome ingredients.
I start everyday with a smoothie, and I think they can be enjoyed everyday. However, I recommend rotating your ingredients to include a variety of fresh fruits, fresh vegetables and greens, herbs, and spices so you don’t overdo it on any one ingredient. Mix things up!
Fruits and vegetables begin to oxidize the minute you cut them open, so it’s always best to enjoy them the minute they’re made to minimize the degradation of nutrients and to get the most bang for you buck.
Having said that, we’re all busy and it’s not always possible to drink your smoothie right away. If you’re making a smoothie in the morning to drink later in the day , you can still get a lot of goodness from your ingredients. Seal the smoothie in a jar right after making, store it in the fridge, and then shake it up again before enjoying.
Use Your Milk Of Choice
I have used and loved all kinds of milk for smoothies, including normal cows milk, raw cows milk, and lots of plant- and nut-based milk like rice, almond, coconut, and cashew. When buying nut milk, make sure the carton is marked unsweetened. You dont really need the added sugar when you are using fruit in your smoothie. I love cashew milk its super creamy and delicious. I most often use almond milk in the carton or a coconut-almond blend in the carton. Use what you can find in your area.
Recommended Reading: Smoothie King Center Seating
It’s Easier Than You Think
Get more Spoon in your feed.
Smoothie-making is an art form that few have readily mastered. Knowing how to make the perfect smoothie no matter how many different ingredients you have on hand is an extremely practical skill to stash under your belt, especially in today’s hustle-and-bustle society. It doesn’t matter if you’re an avid smoothie enthusiast or you just need a healthy drink to keep you going when you’re in a rusheveryone can benefit from becoming an expert smoothie-maker. Here are some general guidelines that will help you on your journey through learning how to make the perfect smoothie every time.
Disclaimer: You can omit any ingredients that you don’t want to include, and you are free to follow recipes as they are or customize your smoothie however you choose to. Consistency depends on blender type and chosen ingredients.
How Do You Substitute Yogurt In Smoothies
Traditionally, a smoothie combines fruits, veggies, or other ingredients and thickening agents. The thickening agents can be yogurt, heavy cream, ice, or other elements that a smoothie has, but an ice slushie doesnt.
It is also what makes a smoothie, well, smooth and creamy. But if you choose to leave out the yogurt, here are some ways to make one without it:
You May Like: Mango Pineapple Smoothie Mcdonalds Price
The Ultimate Smoothie Bowl Recipes
If you havent hopped on the smoothie bowl bandwagon nows the time. These bowls of goodness turn your average smoothie into a refreshing, vibrant, and colorful meal with room for topping creativity! Choose a base from your favorite smoothie blends, then top it off with nuts, seeds, superfoods, and extra fruit.
- Acai Bowl: This quintessential smoothie bowl is packed with antioxidants and tastes amazing with an array of berries and crunchy toppings.
- Dark Cherry Smoothie Bowl: Come cherry season, this bowl is a must. Its a blend of cherries, banana, coconut water, and topped with cacao nibs and coconut flakes for an indulgent treat.
- Mango Smoothie Bowl: Tropical flavors and sunny vibes are front and center in this recipe. Top it with extra fruit and a sprinkle of granola for added crunch.
- Clean Green Smoothie Bowl: For a veggie-packed meal with a bunch of sneaky greens, look no further than this recipethe ultimate green smoothie bowl.
- Pitaya Smoothie Bowl: Want to feel like youre on vacation in Bali? Pitaya makes for a vibrant smoothie bowl, especially when topped with additional fruits.
If you make any of these delicious smoothie recipes, let me know how it turned out! Id love to hear what you think in the comments below.
You May Like: What To Put In Your Smoothie For Weight Loss
Are You Looking For Even More Smoothies No Worries Weve Got You Covered:
- Clementine Avocado Smoothie. If youve never added avocado to your smoothie before, you are missing out! The flavor is so mild, that you cant taste it, but the texture is dreamy, creamy smooth, and the healthy added fats help keep your fuller longer.
- Cold Buster Smoothie. When youre feeling under the weather and your throat is sore, this smoothie for colds is soothing and nourishing.
- Coffee Smoothie. Get a jolt of caffeine and your breakfast all in one cup! This is packed full of coffee flavor.
- Persimmon Smoothie. Packed full of autumnal flavor, this spiced smoothie is creamy and sweet!
- Spinach and Pear Smoothie. Bright green and fresh in flavor, this smoothie is a perfect light breakfast.
- Sweet Potato Smoothie. Sweet potato in a smoothie? YUP! It tastes like a delicious pie. Youll love it!
- Apple Smoothie. This smoothie is packed full of healthy spinach, but tastes like apple pie!
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie. This pumpkin smoothie is perfect for the weather is still warm but your heart wants fall to show up.
- Dark Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie. This smoothie is rich and dark, and it tastes decadent enough you could sip on it for dessert!
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Smoothie. All the flavors of your favorite sandwich in a tasty smoothie! Pick your favorite jelly to add to this peanut butter smoothie.
- Tart Cherry and Spinach Smoothies. We show serving this cherry smoothie as a light breakfast in a bowl, but you could easily pour it in a glass and sip away!
Recommended Reading: Night Time Smoothie For Weight Loss
Add A Handful Of Leafy Green Vegetables
Green smoothies may be scary at times, but adding a handful of leafy greens to your smoothies, like spinach and kale, can contribute incredible health benefits without compromising flavor or consistency. How else do you expect to squeeze vegetables in your diet in a way that actually tastes delicious?
Expert Tips And Tricks
- Skip the bananas. An avocado can be substituted for a banana along with a tablespoon or two of sweetener.
- Go for the goat yogurt. If youre slightly lactose intolerant, goats milk yogurt is a wonderful alternative that tastes very similar to cows milk yogurt.
- Add and adjust. Start by adding a little bit of optional ingredients and then taste after each addition to make sure you still like the flavor!
- Sweeten it last. Youd be surprised how sweet fruit can be! Wait until the end to stir in any additional sweeteners.
- Pay attention to the blade. You want to add your softer ingredients closer to the blade and the harder ingredients further away from the blade for easier blending.
Read Also: Moong Calories
The Best Way To Make A Smoothie Without Yogurt
We all like perfect smoothies which creamy, rich in nutrition, and luscious. There is a great formula to create them, and one of the tips is adding yogurt to your smoothie.
Yogurt is fermented milk or milk treated with bacteria to produce lactic acid , resulting in a thicker consistency. The ingredient is added to a smoothie to give it a fuller and denser texture at once gives the benefits for your digestion system.
Some like it without the yogurt: they may be lactose intolerant, gluten sensitive, or dislike yogurt. If you dont like it, keep reading, and lets discuss how to make your favorite smoothie without yogurt.
How To Make A Smoothie That’ll Keep You Full For Longer
The green smoothie: glowing with vibrant, verdant health and filled with more vegetables than most people eat in a day, its almost a noble breakfast. Unfortunately, it typically tastes chalky from protein powder or stringy from spinach. Can you tell Im not a fan?
But a smoothie is also an easy and quick way to get a healthy breakfast or snack full of vitamins, fiber and protein. HuffPost spoke with a nutritionist and a recipe developer to explore how to create the best of both worlds a smoothie thats delicious and satiating to start your day off right.
Don’t Miss: Smoothie King Protein Shakes
Get Creative With Creaminess
You may be tempted to add milk, ice cream, or yogurt to your smoothie for extra creaminess but the truth is, there are better ingredients to rely on. For example, fresh avocado can create a ton of creaminess and texture. A little goes a long way, so just scoop ¼ of a medium or large avocado to your smoothie and see what a world of difference it makes.
Another option is hemp seeds, which healthy cookbook author Liz Moody relies on for creaminess in her smoothies. When combined with water, hemp seeds blend into a super creamy hemp seed milk. Try whipping up Moodys Minty Pineapple Smoothie recipe, which incorporates hemp seeds and avocado for creaminess and also fresh mint and cayenne for tons of flavor.