What Are The Health Benefits Of Kale
Kale is low in calories and high in nutrients, causing some people to deem it a superfood. Here are a few reasons I try to eat more of it:
- Kale is high in antioxidants, including quercetin and kaempferol. Antioxidants may help to lower inflammation and help protect against heart disease and cancer, by counteracting oxidative damage caused by free radicals in the body.
- Its an excellent source of vitamin C, with one cup of raw kale containing more than a whole orange!
- Kale may helplower cholesterol. One study found that drinking kale juice daily for 12 weeks increased good cholesterol in participants by 27% while also lowering bad cholesterol by 10%.
- Its a great , which is essential for blood clotting, and it also contains magnesium and potassium, which have been linked to a lower risk of heart disease.
Kale is also high in fiber, which is why some people dont love chewing it in a salad. Its very fibrous in texture! Thats why this smoothie is a great option. The blender does the chewing for you!
Be sure to remove the tough center stem from kale leaves before adding them to your smoothie. They are edible, but can be bitter in a smoothie. I like to save them to add to my celery juice, where the flavor isnt as noticeable.
Kale Smoothie Health Benefits
Smoothies are a great way to pack so many fruits and veggies into your diet, without having to eat 4 big salads a day. This recipes specifically was designed for extra servings of fruit and veggies.
The kale in this smoothie is full of vitamin A, vitamin K, and vitamin C and helps reduce the risk of heart disease. Kale is among the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet! And let’s not forget all the nutrients from the fruits and the protein and fiber from the milk.
How To Serve Kale And Berry Smoothie
You can also freeze into popsicles. If you want to make a kid-friendly sorbet, freeze it for 1-2 hours, till it just starts forming ice crystals. Stir and refreeze. Wait an hour or two and then stir again. At this point, you can refreeze it and it will stay soft.
Our kale sorbet is the perfect after-dinner sugar-free dessert for my dairy-intolerant kids. Who needs veggies for supper when we can have them for dessert!
Also, check out The Local Cook for Kale Chips they sound delicious!
- 1-2 cups frozen berries
Don’t Miss: Green Smoothie Diet Recipes For Weight Loss
Kale Pineapple And Almond
Most kale smoothies make use of other sweet flavors to help mask the bitter tang of the kale, but the best kale smoothies use flavorful foods that work well together to create amazing taste. Such is the case with this particular smoothie, which tickles the tongue with a perfect complementary mixture of pineapple, almond-milk, and banana. Special thanks to for sharing this healthy treat.
1 cup almond milk ½ cup pineapple juice 1 cup kale ½ cup fresh pineapple 1 banana
Mastering The Green Smoothie
Make Most of Your Smoothie Green
While green smoothies are a great way to add a nutritious boost to your day, the calories can stack up fast if youre not careful.
Fill about 70 percent of your smoothie with vegetables to keep it low in calories and high in fiber. Enjoy the sweet stuff, like fruit, in moderation by limiting it to about 30 percent of your smoothie.
Work your way up to adding even more greens if you really want to optimize the nutritional benefits of your smoothie.
Following this simple ratio prevents spikes in blood sugar and keeps levels steady thanks to the slow-digesting fiber from the veggies.
If youre questioning how to make a smoothie without yogurt, it easier than youd think.
Many recipes call for a dollop of Greek yogurt or even ice cream, but its totally possible to achieve a creamy texture without the dairy. A few simple swaps:
- Bananas are a popular dairy-free ingredient for putting the smooth in smoothie. Plus you get the added benefit of their vitamins, minerals, and fiber content.
- Avocados are loaded with heart-healthy fats and they can transform your smoothie into a creamy treat.
- Oatmeal adds fiber and texture to keep you feeling full.
- Chia seeds, soaked in water for at least 10 minutes, can take your smoothie to the next level while adding protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and fiber.
Mix It Up
Variety is key for getting the most out of your smoothies.
Use Frozen Fruit Instead of Ice
Add Flavor Without Sugar
Swap Out the Banana
Don’t Miss: Weight Loss Smoothies For Picky Eaters
Tips For Making Smoothies With Kale
Blend the kale and milk first so that the kale is totally pureed and you are not left with chunks of kale in your smoothie. This is especially helpful if you dont have a high-speed blender like a Vitamix.
Be sure to remove ribs from kale before adding to the blender. The ribs, the hard stem in the middle of a leaf of kale, are fibrous and dont break down well in a smoothie.
Blend kale smoothies on the highest speed your blender has so that it is smooth and creamy.
How Do You Adjust The Thickness In A Smoothie
If you need to adjust the thickness of a smoothie, add more or less ice to reach the desired thickness. The amount of water you will need will depend on whether you are working with fresh or frozen fruit. I typically add 1/2 cup water with the protein powder as a way to get the smoothie going in the blender but it is optional.
This smoothie has over 17g of protein so its a great choice to stay full throughout your busy day.
Your straw is waiting.
Read Also: Healthy Smoothies And Shakes To Lose Weight
How Long Does A Kale Smoothie Last
You can make this smoothie and store it in an airtight container for up to 24 hours in advance, but I think it tastes the best if you drink it within an hour of making it.
As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn on qualifying purchases.
If youd like to save yourself some effort in the morning, try assembling a few make-ahead smoothie bags when you have 10 minutes to spare. You can place the kale, banana, mango, and avocado in an airtight bag and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. When youre ready to make your smoothie, simply dump the contents of the bag into the blender with the orange juice and water and blend until smooth!
I like to make 4 smoothie bags at a time, so that I use the whole avocado and 2 whole bananas at the same time.
How To Blend A Kale Smoothie
As far as leafy greens go, kale can be much more sturdy than most. Which means it may break down differently in your blender! Heres how to perfectly blend kale, no matter what blender you have:
- Have a strong blender? Just throw everything in and blend until smooth. Strong blenders should liquify the kale leaves.
- Have a weak blender? Blend the kale and orange juice together first, blitzing until the kale is completely broken down. Then add in the banana and pineapple and blend until smooth.
You May Like: Low Calorie Healthy Smoothies Recipes
How To Make Strawberry Kale Smoothie
Benefits Of Kale Smoothie: Weight Loss
For weight loss is one of the most controversial reasons people give for adding kale to their smoothies, but some studies have shown that this green leafy vegetable can be very helpful when it comes to weight loss.
Due to its low-calorie, nutrient-dense profile, kale can help you reduce your calorie intake and improve the quality of your diet. However, its not a magical weight loss solution.
Ultimately, weight loss comes down to calorie control, so if you want to lose weight, you should avoid consuming more calories than your body can burn.
This means making better food choices, exercising regularly and drinking plenty of water. If you add kale to your smoothies, you might be able to reduce your calorie intake while ensuring that you meet all of your bodys daily nutrient requirements.
Recommended Reading: How To Prep Smoothies For The Week
Can I Make This The Night Before
You could, technically, but its definitely better right away. If you need to prepare it the night before, make sure to store it in a container with a lid and as little air as possible. In the morning, give it a stir.
You can also make smoothie packs by adding all the ingredients to individual baggies . Then in the morning, just dump in the blender, add the liquid and blend!
Kale And Blueberries In Smoothies
Kale is an amazing superfood and is regarded as a nutrition powerhouse. This leafy vegetable contains high amounts of vitamins A, K, and C along with numerous other benefits such as preventing heart disease, lowering cholesterol, and providing bone health.
Blueberries are packed with antioxidants and phytoflavinoids. Phytonutrients are not essential but may help reduce disease and cancer. Blueberries are also high in potassium and vitamin C, making them anti-inflammatory as well.
Recommended Reading: Ready To Blend Smoothie Cups
Buy The Softest Type Of Kale
Green Curly Kale is the softest type of Kale. So use Green Curly Kale if it is available.
If Green Curly Kale is not available, the next best option is to go with Red Kale.
And if Green Kale AND Red Kale are NOT available then get whatever type of Kale is available. It will just take a bit longer to blend up than Green or Red Kale.
Note:Dinosaur Kale also known as Lacinato Kale is the toughest type of Kale. With a name like Dinosaur Kale it better be the toughest right?! This type of Kale takes a bit longer to blend until smooth but dont let that stop you from making Kale Smoothies with it! The benefits will far outweigh the little bit of extra time it takes to blend it until its smooth.
Kale Smoothie Recipe Tips
- Freeze the kale. I like my smoothies to be really thick and frosty, almost like soft ice cream instead of a drink. If you do too, I recommend freezing the kale to get an extra-thick texture. And if youre starting with fresh peaches instead of frozen fruit, make sure to freeze them too!
- Add the almond milk to the blender first. When youre blending frozen ingredients, its important that you add the liquid to the blender first. If the blades cant reach the liquid, theyll stall. Frozen fruits and veggies are too icy to blend up on their own.
- Taste and adjust. The secret to making a perfect smoothie is adjusting it to suit your tastes. After you blend it together, try a spoonful. Then, add more greens if you like it earthier, more ice if you like it frostier, more milk if you like it thinner, or a drop of honey or maple syrup for extra sweetness. Rinse and repeat until you find a balance of flavors you love!
Read Also: Smoothies For Crohn’s Flare Up
Is Kale Smoothie Healthy
The smoothie tastes fruity delicious, yet packs wallop nutrient-wise. It also has lots of fiber to promote gut health and is great for your waistline.
Besides the nutritions from kale, our kale smoothie also has apple and pineapple. Not only rich in vitamin C, these fruits can also contribute to your daily dose of fiber.
To top it all off, our kale smoothie recipe uses honey instead of granulated sugar. More than a sweetener, its more fragrant and contains a small but important amount of minerals.
Easy Kale And Berry Smoothie Recipe: Genius Way To Get Your Kids To Eat Veggies
Need a genius way to get your kids to eat veggies? Try this Kale and Berry Smoothie Recipe! Ive had to resort to a few tricks to make sure my kids are getting enough green leafy vegetables in their diets and this trick works. My kids beg for this sugar-free kale smoothiewe even have them for dessert!
Also Check: What Smoothie Is Good For Diet
Kale Smoothie Recipe Ingredients
Heres what youll need to make this healthy kale smoothie recipe:
- Kale, of course! I often make this recipe with green curly kale, but any variety will work here.
- Almond milk Use your favorite brand of unsweetened almond milk, or make your own.
- Frozen banana It makes the smoothie sweet and creamy.
- Peaches For extra sweetness and peachy flavor.
- Ginger It gives the smoothie a delicious kick! I love how its warm flavor plays off the sweet peaches.
- Matcha powder I blend it into my smoothie for an energizing, antioxidant-packed boost. If you dont have any on hand, feel free to skip it! This recipe is still delicious without it.
- And ice cubes To make the smoothie thick and frosty.
Add all the ingredients to a high-powered blender, and blend until smooth!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
How Long Does Kale Last
Kale leaves can last for several weeks when theyre properly washed, cut and stored in the freezer. This is because kale freezes well and bacteria cannot grow on frozen produce.
When it comes to fresh kale, you can store it in a refrigerator and use it for about 5 days. To prevent wilting, separate the leaves from the stem and place them into an airtight container or bag. You should then store them in a fridge and use them as soon as possible.
Don’t Miss: Fruit And Veggie Smoothies For Toddlers
Why Youll Love This Recipe:
- I know a lot of people dont like kale because they find it bitter, but with the ripe banana, mango and pineapple, the bitterness is camouflaged with sweet tropical flavor.
- This recipe is naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
- You can make this smoothie with all frozen fruit, so you dont have to worry about using anything up before it goes bad on your counter.
Ingredients For Kale Smoothie
- Kale: I get pre-chopped and bagged organic kale at Trader Joes, and usually I stick a whole bag in the freezer for smoothies. I often use this kale for my 3 Minute Instant Pot Kale, one of my other favorite ways to eat kale! No need to wash, strip and chop kale, easy peasy.
- Frozen Mango: My favorite fruit for this smoothie, but you could also use pineapple, peaches, blueberries, or frozen bananas.
- Medjool Dates: I use 2 and dont recommend leaving them out, they help cover up the kale taste and provide sweetness.
- Hemp, Chia or Flax Seeds: For added protein and healthy fats.
- A Lemon: Squeeze the juice from 1 lemon and add to the smoothie. This is so good, dont leave it out! It seriously helps mask the kale.
- Fresh Ginger: If you dont like ginger, you can leave this out, but I love it. Plus, it helps with digestion! It makes the smoothie taste a bit like ginger lemonade.
- Water: For blending, can also use non-dairy milk for a creamier smoothie.
Also Check: Can You Go On A Smoothie Diet
An Easy And Delicious Kale Smoothie Recipe
This energizing and delicious Kale Smoothie is amazing! Packed with kale, kiwi, and bananas, its healthy, high in protein and fiber, and its honestly the best tasting green smoothie I have ever tried.
I have made dozens of green smoothies in the past, but this one is my all time winner. Thanks to the banana and a bit of honey, this healthy breakfast smoothie is sweet, and the kales flavor is almost nonexistent. I promise, no bitter kale-flavor here!
This is like the thousandth recipe for a mash up of fruits + milk + ice that I now have on zee bloggy. Mango Banana, Pomegranate Yogurt, Strawberry Smoothie I happen to really like fruits in liquid form.
AND, I know that smoothies are no longer in-style, but they should always be IN! Always! Because, theyre the best healthy breakfast treat, especially for people on the go, or for those that just want a healthy start to their day.
Really, though. This Kale Smoothie is much different than those other green smoothies. The depth of flavor in this smoothie is deep? I mean, its BE.YOND! Its sweet, yes, and very refreshing, of course. No, it does not taste like dirt and there is not an ounce of bitterness in this green smoothie. Black bananas and honey took over any earthy, bittery taste that results from kale.
Im not a superfan of the superfood, Kale, but throw it in a blender, and Im game. I love the extra layer of flavor that it adds to my smoothies.
Nectarine & Kale Smoothie
Week #4 of my One Smoothie Recipe a week challenge and I have a green smoothie for you. This weeks fruit box had some delicious juicy nectarines, so I used a couple of those along with some freshly cut kale from my vegetable garden. Did you know that kale is one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet?! This smoothie is packed with nutrients, vitamins, full of goodness, great for any time of the day.
Don’t Miss: Healthy Protein Smoothies For Weight Gain
Variations On This Kale Smoothie
The nice thing about green smoothies are how adaptable they are! Switch up virtually any ingredient based on what you have on hand. Here are some of my favorite modifications to this smoothie:
- Switch up the greens, using spinach or collard greens instead of the kale.
- Different fruit can be used in place of the pineapple, like apple, pear, kiwi, mango, or berries.
- No banana, no problem. Swap out the banana for 1/4 cup canned coconut milk and a drizzle of honey/sugar.
- Swap out the orange juice for another, like apple, pineapple, white grape juice, or homemade POG juice. You can also use any variety of flavorless milk here.
- Add extras to boost the nutrition in this smoothie, like chia seeds, flax seeds, protein powder, or a spoonful of nut butter.