Best Blenders For Smoothies
OK, youve got all of your smoothie ingredients prepped and ready to go, now how are you going to blend them up?
The key here is powerful.
You want to use a blender capable of completely mixing up all of the ingredients until they are smooth and creamy.
Here is a list of the best blenders for making fruit smoothies:
- Nutribullet A wonderful personal-sized blender option. Make sure you use the larger cup in order to fit all of the ingredients without going over the max fill line.
- Ninja Blender is also another great option!
What Are The Steps For Making Homemade Smoothies
Homemade smoothies are one of the easiest things to make in the kitchen. In fact, there are only 5 simple steps.
Out of all of those steps, the last one is the most important. When using fresh fruits and vegetables their flavor may not always be uniform. Todays strawberry smoothie may be sweeter than yesterdays. The best time to fix it is before its in your glass and youve cleaned up the mess.
How To Make A Smoothie Ahead Of Time
Although smoothies dont take a long time make, sometimes 10 minutes is too long when youre running out the door. Although you cant blend a smoothie ahead of time and stash it in the refrigerator because itll separate and discolor, you can freeze it in drinkable portions . Then thaw it overnight in the fridge to enjoy it the next morning or throw a frozen portion in your bag on your way to work. Chances are, itll thaw during your commute.
You May Like: Healthy Smoothie Ingredients For Weight Loss
How To Make An Acai Bowl
Smoothie bowls make a delicious and nutritious breakfast, lunch or snack. Theyre essentially a thicker-consistency smoothie, served in a bowl and topped with vibrantly colored ingredients such as nuts, grains, and fruits. To turn your go-to smoothie into a bowl, sub out all fresh fruits and veggies for frozen ones.
Acai bowls, one of the most popular versions of a smoothie bowl, can sometimes seem inaccessible at home, but the truth is that they start simply with frozen acai purée, which you can find in most supermarkets. Break up two 4-ounce packets of unsweetened frozen acai purée with a meat mallet or by slapping the packets on the counter. Then add the purée to the blender along with 1/4 cup blueberries, half a banana and 1 tablespoon honey. Blend it up, and youre ready to serve! Add the mixture to a cereal bowl and top with slices of the other half of the banana and more blueberries. Finish it off with your favorite textured toppings, like granola, pomegranate seeds and unsweetened coconut flakes. Get our Acai Bowl recipe and more smoothie bowl ideas below.
CC ACAI BREAKFAST BOWL Cooking Channel Unsweetened Frozen Acai Puree, Banana, Blueberries, Honey, Granola, Pomegranate Seeds, Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
The perfect breakfast treat, right at home! Give the original recipe a try, and then get creative with your favorite nuts and toppings.
Caramel Apple Overnight Oatmeal Smoothie
This vegan, gluten-free breakfast smoothie is perfect for cold mornings when youre craving a fall treat. Dont worry: Theres no caramel in this recipe. Instead, this blogger subs in dates to add natural sweetness, along with antioxidants, fiber, and minerals. Rolled oats also pack fiber and protein, while apples and cinnamon give that undeniably heartwarming taste. This dreamy mixture sits in the fridge overnight, saving you so much time in the mornings.
Also Check: Smoothie After Workout For Weight Loss
Healthy Smoothie Frequently Asked Questions
- Are these smoothie recipes vegan? Yes! These are all vegan because I use a plant based milk.
- Are these smoothie recipes gluten free? Yes, all of them contain gluten free ingredients.
- My smoothie is too thick, what should I do? Simply add more liquid.
- My smoothie is too runny, what should I do? Add in an extra banana or some yogurt.
- Can I make the smoothie ahead of time? I wouldnt recommend making your smoothie too far in advance. They are really best when consumed right after making them.
- Can I freeze my smoothie? Again, they really taste best when they are enjoyed immediately after making them. You could freeze it, but the consistency and possibly taste would be a little different than if fresh.
Have a question that I didnt answer? Ask me in the comment section below and I will get back to you ASAP!
Chocolate Banana Coffee Smoothie With Turmeric
Get the many health benefits or turmeric by adding it to your morning smoothie. The active ingredient in turmeric is called curcumin. Curcumin has anti-inflammatory properties and has been shown to be beneficial in treating symptoms of Crohns disease, IBS and stomach ulcers. Just spin the ingredients together in a blender and you have a drink that gets your day going and fights inflammation.
Recommended Reading: Cost To Open A Smoothie King
Protein And Other Powders Sweeteners & More Extras
Any optional ingredients come next. This can include:
Nut or seed butter. Peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, soy butter, and sunflower seed butter are all delicious additionsand they add protein to help curb your appetite.
Powders. A scoop of protein powder or a nutrition boosting powder can be a great addition to almost any smoothie, and beneficial if youre looking to add more protein into your diet. Adler cautions though, that many protein powders contain artificial ingredients and recommends instead, sticking with clean and pure powders. You want your protein powder to have one to three ingredients, max, and no flavors, she says. Be careful of soy powders, generic whey brands, and ones with long ingredient lists of things you can’t pronounce!
Sweetener. To sweeten naturally, add a drizzle of honey or maple syrup. But be sure to taste your smoothie before you add sugar, as you may not need it if youve used sweet, ripe fruit, such as frozen mango, banana, or blueberries.
Texture or crunch.A sprinkle of cocoa nibs or chia seeds can give your smoothie a fun crunch to it, and added minerals and good healthy fats! says Adler. Cashews add the perfect amount of creaminess and satisfying feel, without being overly nutty tasting.
Seasonings and spices. Some people love to add a sprinkle of cinnamon, ground nutmeg, vanilla bean powder, or turmeric for an extra kick to their smoothie.
What Do You Put In A Breakfast Smoothie
- Healthy Fats. Your favorite nut butter, coconut milk, or chia seeds. This makes the smoothie more satisfying and keeps you full between meals. Keep portions in mind I usually add about 1 tablespoon.
- Protein and Fiber Additions. Greek yogurt or your favorite protein powder are easy ways to make breakfast protein smoothies. A tablespoon of oatmeal adds fiber.
- Fruit. Breakfast fruit smoothies are always a crowd-pleasing choice. Strawberries and blueberries are my go-tos. Bananas make smoothies naturally sweet. Mango and pineapple can hide the taste of greens. Unexpected fruits like apples or watermelon can be scrumptious too.
- Vegetables. Spinach, kale, avocado, carrots, and even beets can all be added to smoothies.
- Flavor Additions. Vanilla, cinnamon, honey, maple syrup, and dates are all excellent ways to give your smoothie more flavor.
- Liquid. Unsweetened almond milk is my favorite for smoothies. You can also use juice , a different kind of milk, coconut water, or even plain water.
You May Like: Live Pure Superfood Smoothie Cubes
Are Smoothies Healthy For You
Before we dive into the quest of how to make a fruit smoothie, lets dive into the why. Our philosophy here at Wholefully is that smoothies can be an incredibly nourishing part of your diet. Just like with our juicing recipes, we say its always better to eat whole fruits and veggies where possible. But its not always possible! Smoothies do make it easy to pack in all the nutrients of your favorite produce into one drinkable cupwhich is great when youre on the go or short on time.
And lets be honest, smoothies are just freaking delicious! We are big believers that you also need to nourish your soul with your food, and if drinking a perfectly tangy and sweet smoothie brings a smile to your face, then thats healthy as healthy can be.
Storing And Freezing Instructions
- To store: Freshly made smoothies should be enjoyed immediately, however, they will keep well for up to eight hours refrigerated. Be sure to whisk the smoothie in case of any separation.
- To freeze: Smoothies can be frozen in blocks and stored in the freezer for up to two months. When ready to enjoy, remove the smoothie block from the freezer and re-blend it until smooth. To thin it out, you can add some water, milk, or juice.
You May Like: Smoothies For Depression And Anxiety
How To Make A Strawberry
The classic combo we all know and love: a strawberry-banana smoothie. The strawberries make it sweet, the bananas make it creamy and the beverage comes together with just a few ingredients. Start with 1 cup of water or orange juice in the blender. We like fresh orange juice, but the stuff in the carton will work just fine too. Add any nutritional powders like protein or fiber, or, if youre looking to make it a little sweeter, a teaspoon or two of sugar. Then add 1 cup each of non-fat plain yogurt and strawberries and top off the blender bowl with 1 banana cut into 1-inch chunks. Puree away. Check out the recipes below for classic takes and spin-offs of our favorite smoothie.
Coconut water ice cubes plus all your favorite fruits make this one crazy refreshing and easy to make.
How Can I Make My Smoothie Healthier
The smoothie recipes below are plain, but if you want to expand your smoothie horizons, go for it! Toss in chia seeds or protein powder or hemp seeds or flax or whatever else makes your heart happy. If you have a standard set of mix-ins you like, you can even freeze them into booster packsgreat for really quick and easy smoothies!
Also Check: Apple Kiwi Kale Smoothie King
Chocolate And Peanut Butter Shakes
Peanut Butter Cup Shake – 53 g of protein
Don’t sacrifice your gains! With milk and egg whites for texture, this shake tastes as good as the real thing.
Peanut Butter Banana Shake – 65 g of protein
Peanut butter and banana is a classic combo and is great for fuel and muscle recovery.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Shake – 72 g of protein
This sinless treat allows you to enjoy your chocolate and peanut butter with the benefits of muscle-building protein.
Want to make your protein shake thicker, more decadent, and slower digesting? Use casein instead of whey.
Peanut Brittle Shake – 58 g of protein
This shake is just as tasty as any crunchy brittle. The secret is pudding mix!
Chocolate-Lover’s Shake – 51 g of protein
Chocoholics unite for this super chocolatey shake featuring both cocoa powder and sour cream!
Chocolate Almond Shake – 40 g of protein
A nutty candy bar in a glass, this shake proves protein doesn’t have to be bland. You will make it again!
Caramel Hazelnut Shake – 70 g of protein
Hazelnut creamer makes this into a Nutella-y dream of a shake. Yes, please!
Bad Girl Shake – 67 g of protein
This caloric beast is for the aspiring weight-gainers out there! Ground up girl scout cookies in a shake? Go ahead, be bad.
Tropical Punch Protein Shake – 30 g of protein
All the fruit! Tantalize your senses with this vitamin-packed tropical shake.
The Best Blender For Smoothies
You do NOT need a fancy schmancy blender to make a good smoothie! I used something similar to THIS blender for years before finally upgrading to my Vitamix. I believe that the best blender for smoothies is the one that you have.
All of that being said, if you find yourself making a lot of smoothies and using your blender on a regular basis then I definitely recommend an upgrade. I have used THIS Vitamix for the past 6 years and absolutely love it. I anticipate it lasting me for a very long time which makes the investment totally worth it!
Here are my blender recommendations from amazon based on your budget:
Read Also: Simple Smoothie Recipes With Almond Milk
List Of Healthy Superfoods:
- Kale insanely low in calories, powerful anti-oxidant with anti-inflammatory properties, and helpful for arthritis and autoimmune diseases
- Spinach the beauty of spinach lies in how easy it is to disguise the taste. Its mild tasting yet packed with vitamins, has anti-cancerous properties, and is one of the healthiest foods on the planet
- Blueberries – one of the highest antioxidant capacities of all fruit which helps to combat free radicals in your body
- Strawberries – just one serving provides more vitamin c than an orange while being low in natural sugars
- Greek Yogurt – double the protein and half the carbs as regular yogurt
- Cucumber since its 95% water, its an incredible detoxifier and helps with liver and kidney function
- Lemon one of the most important items to stock in your kitchen as its a highly effective cleansing agent and cuts through the bitterness of greens
- Banana an essential in smoothies as it adds creaminess, a touch of sweetness, and helps you feel full longer plus, its rich in potassium and fiber and gives you natural energy
- Turmeric – anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties
- Ginger – aids in digestion and supports the immune system
- Chia + Flaxseeds – rich is Omega-3 and fiber benefits
If you are looking to add fruit and vegetable JUICE recipes to your diet as well, .
For extra detoxification benefits, a lemon turmeric flush first thing in the morning will do the trick. This isn’t for the faint of heart. It’s super simple.
How To Make A Smoothie With Ice Cream
A smoothie with ice cream? Uh, yes please. Once you scoop ice cream into your blender, its technically considered a milkshake, but go ahead and make that switch for an occasional indulgent treat. Ice cream, of course, makes for an exceptionally creamy, sweet, and decadent smoothie experience.
Love the idea but dont want to do dairy? Try a non-dairy ice cream, such as that varieties made of coconut milk.
I love ½ cup coconut milk ice cream blended with 1/4 to 1/2 cup almond, coconut or whole milk, says Adler. Then, its optional to add 1 to 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder or 1 handful cocoa nibs to make it chocolaty, a teaspoon of peanut butter, or fresh mintor all of the above.
Also Check: Whats A Good Smoothie For Weight Loss
What Are Some Great Smoothie Recipes
Alright, now that youre fully versed on how to make a great smoothie, let me share with you some of our absolute favorite combos! Click on any image to jump over to that specific smoothie recipe.
Classic Simple Smoothies
These smoothies are a great place to start. No weird ingredients that you have to special order, just fresh, real food that you can find at any typical supermarket.
Tropical Papaya Perfection Smoothie
This coconut-infused breakfast smoothie tastes just as decadent as a milkshake. One sip will immediately transport you to a tropical island.
Cut 1 papaya into chunks and blend it with 1 cup of fat-free, plain yogurt, 1/2 cup fresh pineapple chunks, 1/2 cup crushed ice, 1 tsp. coconut extract, and 1 tsp. ground flaxseed. Process the mixture for about 30 seconds, or until its smooth and frosty.
Nutrition: 299 cal, 13 g pro, 64 g carb, 7 g fiber, 44 g sugars, 1.5 g fat
You May Like: Healthy Blueberry Smoothie With Almond Milk
Lean Mean Green Machine
If youre looking for a post-workout recovery drink, this smoothie is it. Protein powder helps replenish the energy you burned, sweet banana and kiwi provide potassium and vitamin C, while coconut water helps you rehydrate.
In a blender, add 1 medium banana , 1 kiwi , 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 cup spinach, 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder, 1/2 cup coconut water. Pulse until creamy and smooth.
Nutrition: 304 cal, 22 g pro, 47 g carb, 7 g fiber, 5 g fat
How To Meal Prep Smoothies
When it comes to meal prepping smoothies, there are two main methods:
Also Check: What Goes In A Strawberry Smoothie
How Can I Interest My Kids In Healthy Smoothies
The biggest way to get kids on board with anything is to make it fun and involve them!
- Set up a smoothie bar: Let your kids help with selecting what ingredients go into the smoothies, and also choosing fun and healthy toppings, like chia seeds, flax meal, sliced almonds, and fresh fruit! They will be more likely to try it if its their creation!
- Play smoothie shop: On weekend mornings, or whenever you have time. Play smoothie shop with your kids! Let them take your order, and help make the smoothies as much as they are able to, by age.
- Ask for their help in the kitchen!: Kids are amazing helpers, especially in the kitchen! They are naturally curious, and love to spend time together. Nurture this, and show them all of your favorite healthy cooking tips!
- Work in your garden/ get groceries as a family: My daughter has always loved helping in the garden. Its a great time to discuss our food and where it comes from! If you arent able to take your little ones to the grocery store, let them help you compile the grocery list.
- Read about fruits and veggies: There are tons of childrens books on about fruits, veggies, farming, and eating healthy!