How To Make The Best Banana Smoothie
My basic smoothie recipe calls for four simple ingredients:
Banana I use one banana to make one large or two smaller smoothies. For the best tasting smoothie, use a ripe banana. For the creamiest banana smoothie, use frozen banana slices. Ive shared how I freeze bananas for smoothies below.
Half an orange When I have oranges in the house, I love adding them to my morning smoothie. It adds extra vitamin C and tropical flavor. If you dont have oranges on hand, dont worry, you can substitute other fruits like mango, pineapple, and berries.
Plain or Greek yogurt I dont always add yogurt to my smoothies, but when I do have it in the fridge, adding a spoonful ensures a protein-packed and creamy smoothie. For a smoothie without yogurt, add a little extra fruit or include veggies like spinach or kale.
Water or milk To help the ingredients blend, I like adding a splash of liquid to the blender. For a smoothie without milk, use water. It still tastes amazing. For more creaminess add milk .
To make the smoothie, I add everything into a blender and then blend until smooth. For an icy cold smoothie, throw in a handful of ice or use frozen fruits.
The Creamiest Best Green Smoothie Recipe
Green smoothies sound like they wouldnt taste the greatest, but if you do them right, they are sweet, balanced, and have no flavor of greens. They are a wonderful way to get a nourishing boost of nutrition in a grab-and-go tasty snack!
There are two main keys to green smoothie success: first up, you have to nail the ratio. You want the smoothie to taste sweet and deliciousnot like spinach. The second key is to make sure you blend it until its completely smooth! No one wants to chew their smoothie. Read on to learn how I make my favorite green smoothie recipe.
How To Build A Healthy Smoothie
Smoothies can make a healthy breakfast if you have a good balance of ingredients and nutrientsincluding protein, carbs, and healthy fats.
Smoothies can be a healthy and convenient way to add in several nutrients to help jump-start your day, says Andrea Mathis, M.A., R.D.N., L.D., an Alabama-based dietitian and author of The Complete Book of Smoothies: 115 Health Recipes to Nourish, Health, and Energize.
Mathis especially loves that you can modify smoothies for any taste or preference. She emphasizes the importance of making smart swaps to ensure youre getting all the nutrients your body needs. For example, protein powder is a great addition to your smoothie for an extra kick of the macronutrient, but Mathis also loves nuts, cottage cheese, chia seeds, and other foods that already contain high amounts of protein.
Additionally, adding a source of healthy fat, like nuts or avocado, and extra fiber from vegetables, flax seeds, hemp seeds, or chia seeds can help provide essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, she says.
Don’t Miss: Ninja Blender And Smoothie Maker
Whats In This Mango Smoothie
Im keeping this recipe as simple as possible to really let that sweet mango flavor shine. Heres what youll need.
- Mangoes: I love to use fresh mangoes for this smoothie, but you can also use frozen. Just keep on reading to see a few notes I have on both.
- Banana: If you can freeze your banana ahead of time, that would be great! This will help to add a chilled, creamy texture. But if not, you can also use fresh.
- Milk: Any dairy or non-dairy milk will work with this smoothie, including my almond milk, cashew milk, or oat milk recipes!
- Yogurt: Ideally, greek yogurt would be the perfect option to make this a thicker, creamier smoothie. But you can use any plain dairy or non-dairy yogurt.
Find the printable recipe with measurements below.
Milk And Honey Smoothie
Make use of the celery in your produce drawer with this blended juice, which combines it with almond milk, cucumber, and grapes for a sip-worthy snack.
In a blender, combine 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk, 1 medium Kirby cucumber , 1 cup seedless green grapes, 2 medium stalks celery , and 1 Tbsp honey. Blend until the mixture is smooth, serves 2.
Nutrition: 124 cal, 2 g pro, 26 g carb, 2 g fiber, 21 g sugars , 2 g fat
What Should I Put In My Smoothie
The great thing about a fruit smoothie recipe is that the customization opportunities are virtually endless. Heres a quick run through of what I usually put in my smoothies:
- Milk or Juice: you can use dairy milk, non-dairy milk, juice, or even coconut water really any liquid goes! You can even use cold tea.
- Greek Yogurt: yogurt is a great way to kick the protein up a notch and to make a deliciously thick and creamy texture. Dairy-free, plant-based yogurt works well, too, and you can skip it if you need .
- Banana: I love to keep frozen, sliced banana on-hand. The frozen banana makes it extra creamy and acts as a natural sweetener.
- Berries/Other Fruit: any frozen fruit work great in smoothies! Pineapple, mango, and berries are our favorites. You can even use watermelon like in this refreshing Watermelon Smoothie!
- Add-Ins: you can customize it with so many different add-ins. Protein powders, nuts or seeds, oats, extracts, sweeteners, even avocado!
Lemon Turmeric Flush Drink:
- 1 teaspoon Stevia or 1 Tablespoon Honey or Real Maple Syrup
- Serves 2
Mix together, water, lemon juice, turmeric, ginger, cayenne pepper and cinnamon. Add stevia, honey or maple syrup to taste. The cayenne pepper adds a kick to it so not everyone can handle it.
If you are looking for MORE JUICE CLEANSE RECIPES, CLICK HERE.
If I am suffering from anything – from allergies to autoimmune issues to overeating the night before, this helps to clean out my liver and belly. I woke up this morning with swollen eyes caused by allergies and this drink helped the swelling go down quickly. You can drink it heated up or drink it cold straight out of the refrigerator. We make a large pitcher and keep in the refrigerator to last a week. We give it a good stir and guzzle it down.
Read Also: 10 Flat Belly Diet Smoothies Recipes
Frozen Fruit Smoothie Recipe
Frozen fruit can always be found stocked in our freezer.
When that moment strikes and I have literally NOTHING else to make, a frozen fruit smoothie can always save the day.
It doesnt even matter what fresh or frozen fruits Im working with. They can ALL be turned into a creamy and delicious smoothie.
That is, if you have this basic formula on hand.
I would never leave you hanging, though. In addition to this simple guide, youll also find a few recipes you can start off with and then add in all of the nuts, seeds, milks, juices, yogurts, and protein powders your heart desires.
Because after you finish reading this post, youll never need me again. Well, at least not when it comes to making incredible frozen fruit smoothies!
Top 10 Essential Smoothies For Beginners
McKenzie Jones | August 20, 2019
If youre just hopping on board the smoothie bandwagon but have no intention of rocking a kale yeah t-shirt anytime soon , youve come to the right place. The last thing we want to do is deter you from embracing a healthy lifestyle or make the process so intimidating that you kick off your shoes and run to the nearest hot dog stand.
We certainly dont believe that you have to give up your love of French fries or strike daily yoga poses to be the best version of you. Baby steps starting with a simple smoothie each day are all it takes to make positive changes towards a healthier lifestyle.
These ten smoothies listed below are our introductory blends, and theyre perfect for first-timers who are just getting their feet wet. They call for no more than six readily available ingredients that you can whip up in your nutribullet® of choice, like our nutribullet® Blender Combo, in 60 seconds !
Read Also: How To Make A Smoothie Recipe
What Kind Of Blender Do I Need
Beyond using a good blender, Ive discovered a few tricks for making smoothies sweet and creamy without the use of dairy or bananas, and Ive put them into these recipes down below. I hope you love them! Lets dig in.
Blueberry Banana Smoothie Recipe
Heres a healthy smoothie recipe thats bursting with berry flavor: the blueberry banana smoothie! This bright purple puree is lusciously creamy and stunning to look at. Its packed with beautiful berry flavor that has just the right counterbalance of banana. Upon first sip, we were sold! Its perfect for breakfast, snack, or an after dinner treat.
Read Also: Nutritional Smoothies For Cancer Patients
Chocolate And Peanut Butter Shakes
Peanut Butter Cup Shake – 53 g of protein
Don’t sacrifice your gains! With milk and egg whites for texture, this shake tastes as good as the real thing.
Peanut Butter Banana Shake – 65 g of protein
Peanut butter and banana is a classic combo and is great for fuel and muscle recovery.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Shake – 72 g of protein
This sinless treat allows you to enjoy your chocolate and peanut butter with the benefits of muscle-building protein.
Want to make your protein shake thicker, more decadent, and slower digesting? Use casein instead of whey.
Peanut Brittle Shake – 58 g of protein
This shake is just as tasty as any crunchy brittle. The secret is pudding mix!
Chocolate-Lover’s Shake – 51 g of protein
Chocoholics unite for this super chocolatey shake featuring both cocoa powder and sour cream!
Chocolate Almond Shake – 40 g of protein
A nutty candy bar in a glass, this shake proves protein doesn’t have to be bland. You will make it again!
Caramel Hazelnut Shake – 70 g of protein
Hazelnut creamer makes this into a Nutella-y dream of a shake. Yes, please!
Bad Girl Shake – 67 g of protein
This caloric beast is for the aspiring weight-gainers out there! Ground up girl scout cookies in a shake? Go ahead, be bad.
Tropical Punch Protein Shake – 30 g of protein
All the fruit! Tantalize your senses with this vitamin-packed tropical shake.
How To Make Smoothies: 5 Delicious Recipes
There are pre-made smoothie options you can buy, like a Simply Smoothie bottle, but by making your own smoothies at home, you can save money, reduce waste, and customize your flavors to create precisely what youre craving. Read on to find your new favorite healthy snack out of these five delicious fruit smoothie recipes.
Don’t Miss: What To Put In A Strawberry Banana Smoothie
How To Choose A Smoothie Maker And/or Blender
When choosing a smoothie maker and/or blender, consider your priorities and budget. If you can splurge for a full-sized blender, thats the way to go, says Adler. Thats largely because of its ability to do a number of thingsnot just make great smoothies.
If you dont want to spend hundreds of dollars on a smoothie makerand youre going to be making one smoothie at a timeconsider a mini blender or an immersion blender. These products dont have the versatility of a full-sized blenderyoull be limited in how many things you can make in it. But if all you plan on making with them is smoothies, they certainly will do the job.
Why You Should Make This Banana Smoothie
Ive made a version of this easy banana smoothie recipe more times than I can count. Its perfect on its own and is the best base recipe for adding more ingredients like fruit, nut butter, and veggies.
Here are a few more reasons we love it:
- You need less than 5 minutes to make it.
- You can use fresh or frozen bananas.
- Its easy to adapt to what you have in the kitchen.
- This smoothie is perfect for breakfast or a snack.
- Kids love it!
- You can even make the smoothie ahead of time, freeze it, and save it for later.
Read Also: Free Smoothies For A Year
How To Make A Smoothie Bowl
If you like to eat your smoothie with a spoon instead of a straw, put it in a bowl and keep it thick.
The key to any smoothie bowl is a little amount of water, and either avocado or a clean protein powder in there to thicken it up, says Adler. Ice is great, but keep the water or liquid to ¼ cup at most! You’ll need a powerful blender to make this happen.
Many people add whole berries or cut fruit on top of their smoothie bowls and then sprinkle them with chia seeds or chopped nuts. Adler recommends her recipe for a Green Smoothie Bowl, a hearty smoothie that can stand-in as a meal.
How To Make Epic Smoothies At Home
Smoothies are refreshing and delicious. And most of the time, they’re also super-healthy. The best way to guarantee you’re drinking a healthy smoothie and not a milkshake in disguise is to make them at home. Not only do you get to control the ingredients, but also the cost is lower . Whether your goal is to eat breakfast more often, get some fruit and vegetable servings in the morning or eat healthier in general, this guide to making smoothies at home will help get you there.
Don’t Miss: How To Make A Yummy Fruit Smoothie
List Of Healthy Superfoods:
- Kale insanely low in calories, powerful anti-oxidant with anti-inflammatory properties, and helpful for arthritis and autoimmune diseases
- Spinach the beauty of spinach lies in how easy it is to disguise the taste. Its mild tasting yet packed with vitamins, has anti-cancerous properties, and is one of the healthiest foods on the planet
- Blueberries – one of the highest antioxidant capacities of all fruit which helps to combat free radicals in your body
- Strawberries – just one serving provides more vitamin c than an orange while being low in natural sugars
- Greek Yogurt – double the protein and half the carbs as regular yogurt
- Cucumber since its 95% water, its an incredible detoxifier and helps with liver and kidney function
- Lemon one of the most important items to stock in your kitchen as its a highly effective cleansing agent and cuts through the bitterness of greens
- Banana an essential in smoothies as it adds creaminess, a touch of sweetness, and helps you feel full longer plus, its rich in potassium and fiber and gives you natural energy
- Turmeric – anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties
- Ginger – aids in digestion and supports the immune system
- Chia + Flaxseeds – rich is Omega-3 and fiber benefits
If you are looking to add fruit and vegetable JUICE recipes to your diet as well, .
For extra detoxification benefits, a lemon turmeric flush first thing in the morning will do the trick. This isn’t for the faint of heart. It’s super simple.
How Do I Make Smoothies If I Dont Like Bananas
Lucky for you, we have an entire post of recipes to make a smoothie without banana. Try those recipes, or tweak any of the recipes below by:
- Subbing in 1/2 cup additional plain Greek yogurt , plus 1 tablespoon additional sweetener and a handful of ice cubes in place of the frozen banana in these recipes.
- Other options: canned pineapple, sweetened yogurt, canned pears. Adding half a ripe avocado can really help make up for the creaminess that bananas usually add, too.
Read Also: Smoothie Blender That Crushes Ice
Is There A Way To Pack More Nutrition Into This Berry Smoothie
This recipe makes a simple berry smoothie that anyone can enjoy, but you can add whatever seeds or powders that youd like! For this one, I might add:
- Spinach or other dark leafy greens. Pack in some more vitamins and minerals with a handful or two of leafy greens like spinach. The berries have so much flavor, you wont even notice the greens!
- Ginger. Ginger has tons of health benefitsit is an anti-inflammatory, for oneand it adds a nice spicy bite to smoothies.
- Chia seeds. Chia is an omega-3 powerhouse, and has the added benefit of helping to thicken up your smoothie for an even better consistency.
Once you have a set of mix-ins that you like, you can freeze them as booster packs for future smoothies!
Skinny Strawberry Shortcake Smoothie
This vegan recipe will have you drooling for more! Its vegan, low calorie, and delicious! What makes it different than any regular strawberry smoothie? The secret is in a butter extract that gives it a rich pastry flavor while keeping it low in calories. If you feel like leaving your chair to blend this one up right away, you are in good company.
Don’t Miss: Are Smoothies Good For Weight Loss
Whats The Best Blender For Making Smoothies
Blenders have gotten so advanced in the past few years, that its hard to pick one that wont blend up a great smoothie! If youre blender shopping, here are the three blenders we recommend for daily smoothie-making:
- MOST AFFORDABLE: Cuisinart Immersion/Stick BlenderDont let its small size fool you, this tiny handheld blender is packed full of power, and will easily make a smoothie for you every day! Its perfect if youre limited on counter space.
- MEDIUM: Ninja Professional BlenderFor under $100, you get an incredibly powerful blender that makes a dreamy, creamy smoothie. This was the blender we used in the Wholefully test kitchen for years, and its a great starter-level, but still high-powered, blender.
- SPLURGE: Vitamix Professional BlenderA Vitamix is the top of the line when it comes to blenders, and its what we use every day in the Wholefully test kitchen. It comes with a hefty price tag , so if youre just blending a smoothie every now and again, there is no need to make the splurge. But if you do a lot of cooking or make a lot of smoothies or blended drinks, you might want to start saving your pennies for a Vitamix. Its a lifetime appliance that is a dream to use!