Are Smoothies Good For Kids
“Smoothies can be a nice option for kids since they’re simple to make and give parents the opportunity to incorporate foods that their child may otherwise not eat,” says Sassos. Even if your kid makes a face at even the idea of spinach, he’ll probably love a “green monster smoothie” , especially if there are a few banana chunks in there to naturally sweeten it up. Another reason smoothies are great for parents is that you can make them ahead of time , or take the along in a spill-proof cup for a healthy between-games Saturday snack.
How To Make A Green Smoothie For Weight Loss
Smoothies are a great breakfast option if you are looking to lose some weight. They are light and fresh and loaded with healthy ingredients. The only problem is some smoothies can be loaded with a ton of sugar and some smoothies you buy at a smoothie shop are way oversized, so you want to make sure your green smoothie is well balanced.
- To keep sugar to a minimum, try adding less than 1 cup of fruit in total to your smoothie.
- Use ingredients like frozen cauliflower or frozen zucchini to help bulk up your smoothie.
- Then for the liquid, avoid adding juice which has a ton of extra sugar, and instead opt for some sugar-free nut milk or water.
Recommended Tools To Make Strawberry Mango Smoothie
- High-Powered Blender. For the most creamy smoothie consistency, use a high-powered blender.
- Stainless Steel Straws. I take these with me everywhere! They make everything taste extra refreshing.
- Dry Ingredient Measuring Cups. This set is perfect for measuring smoothie ingredients.
I hope this vegan strawberry mango smoothie whisks you away to the oceanside. If you try this recipe, please leave a comment and let me know how it goes! I love hearing from you, and your comments and 5-star ratings are so important for this site.
Recommended Reading: Green Smoothie Diet For Weight Loss
How To Make A Green Smoothie Taste Good
The question everyone asks when it comes to green smoothiesCan you taste the greens?
When youre making a green smoothie, you want to be careful with how much veggies you add to it. If you add in too much spinach or kale, you may end up with a smoothie that tastes likewell, spinach or kale!
I generally add about a handful of spinach or kale to my green smoothies, which I find is the perfect amount. Another trick to making a green smoothie taste good is to use tropical fruits like mango or pineapple!
Expert Breakfast Smoothie Tips
- Use frozen banana or frozen mango, or both for this smoothie. Having at least one type of frozen fruit will help the smoothie blend up into a thick and creamy smoothie. If you use all fresh fruit, the smoothie will have a thin texture.
- If you prefer a sweeter smoothie, use a riper banana. If you prefer a less sweet smoothie, use a less ripe banana.
- Always add liquids to your blender first, followed by seeds, then greens, then the fruit on top. This will allow the blender to blend more easily.
Also Check: How To Make A Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
Can You Freeze Smoothies
If you make a smoothie recipe ahead of time, store in an air-tight container.
You can refrigerate smoothies for a couple of days, and freeze them for up to two months. The nutritional values are at their highest if freshly consumed.
Making smoothies ahead of time when you do your weekly meal prepping, and then freezing them, makes it easier to eat healthy during a hectic week.
Peaches And Cream Oatmeal Smoothie
No time for a leisurely meal? Try this grab-and-go, probiotic-rich take on morning oatmeal. Whole-grain oats contain prebiotic fiber that promotes gut health.
This recipe from Preventions Smoothies & Juicesmakes two smoothies: Blend 1/2 cup whole milk, 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1 cup frozen peaches, 1/2 frozen banana, and 1/2 cup ice until smooth.
Nutrition: 283 cal, 13 g pro, 53.5 g carb, 2 g fiber, 48 g sugars, 3.5 g fat
Recommended Reading: Good Things To Put In Smoothies
Banana Clementine & Mango Smoothie
Kick-start your day with this deliciously refreshing drink, made with fresh fruit and yogurt. It’s rich in vitamin C and counts as one of your 5-a-day
For a smooth start to your day try this ultra-easy breakfast drink
Kick-start your day with this healthy fruit smoothie, made extra filling with ground almonds and calcium-packed dairy
A creamy breakfast-friendly blend that’s high in calcium and low in calories
Should You Use Protein Powder In Your Morning Smoothies
A lot of people ask me if I recommend adding protein powder to my breakfast smoothies, and here are my thoughts real whole foods are always my first choice thats always your best option, BUT if you are looking for a convenient way to get more protein into your diet I believe that protein powders can be a great supplement.
Youll see, I am using vanilla whey protein in each of these morning smoothie recipes. I love whey protein, its super-rich and creamy, and Ive never met a plant-based protein that I enjoy as much . If you tolerate dairy, a good high-quality whey protein is my first choice BUT you can of course sub in a plant-based protein as well .
Read Also: Does Mcdonalds Serve Smoothies All Day
Why Make Breakfast Smoothies
Best flavor combo: The combination of strawberries and bananas + protein powder + oatmeal + peanut butter is just the perfect mix to kick-start your day.
Healthy breakfast idea: this healthy breakfast is high protein, made with real fruit, and packed with healthy fats.
High protein: 12g protein/serving. Yes, please!
What Is The Best Way To Make A Smoothie
Learn how to make a smoothie like a total pro then get ready to mix up a tasty breakfast or snack that’s good for you, too. Our Good Housekeeping Institute Kitchen Appliances Lab also tested the best blenders for whipping up the smoothest, creamiest drinks. To make smoothies ahead of time, stash your dry ingredients in the freezer infreezer-safe bags or food storage containers. In the morning, just add your liquid to the blender, followed by the frozen dry ingredients and blend. Breakfast in 5 minutes? Easy!
Get the Coffee Banana Smoothie recipe from Little Broken.
Recommended Reading: Light And Fit Protein Smoothie
They’re Great For Breakfast Or An Afternoon Pick
Smoothies are a convenient and colorful way to start your day, but some recipes can be filled with added sugar and fat. For a healthy meal or snack, stick to the basics: fruit and veggies.
Every successful smoothie contains two main ingredients: fruit and/or vegetables and a liquid, such as fruit juice, vegetable juice, or milk. Other possible ingredients include yogurt, nut butter, seeds, spices, herbs, and more. Many smoothies also include a few ice cubes to keep the mixture nice and cold. Often, recipes can be tweaked to meet different dietary requirements or tastesfeel free to swap out dairy products for non-dairy ones or change up the spices and juices.
All of these smoothies recipes are loaded with good-for-you vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber, and protein. They’re made with only natural ingredients and range in flavors from mango to chocolate to veggie. You’re sure to find a breakfast smoothie for every day of the week.
‘good Fat’ Berry Blast Smoothie
This smoothie has a lot of personality. It’s a burst of sunshine to start the day in a creamy, berry red smoothie. What’s the secret energizing ingredient? Avocado! It makes the smoothie thick while balancing the sweetness of the date, berries and OJ.
This delightfully refreshing smoothie is incredibly easy to make but contains lots of filling fiber and antioxidant-rich ingredients like blueberries and coffee to fuel your morning or any time you need a little pick-me-up!
Recommended Reading: Lean 1 Protein Smoothie King
How Can I Interest My Kids In Healthy Smoothies
The biggest way to get kids on board with anything is to make it fun and involve them!
- Set up a smoothie bar: Let your kids help with selecting what ingredients go into the smoothies, and also choosing fun and healthy toppings, like chia seeds, flax meal, sliced almonds, and fresh fruit! They will be more likely to try it if its their creation!
- Play smoothie shop: On weekend mornings, or whenever you have time. Play smoothie shop with your kids! Let them take your order, and help make the smoothies as much as they are able to, by age.
- Ask for their help in the kitchen!: Kids are amazing helpers, especially in the kitchen! They are naturally curious, and love to spend time together. Nurture this, and show them all of your favorite healthy cooking tips!
- Work in your garden/ get groceries as a family: My daughter has always loved helping in the garden. Its a great time to discuss our food and where it comes from! If you arent able to take your little ones to the grocery store, let them help you compile the grocery list.
- Read about fruits and veggies: There are tons of childrens books on about fruits, veggies, farming, and eating healthy!
A Note On Thickening Smoothies
Im of the general smoothie philosophy that a thick smoothie is a happy, satisfying smoothie if its not thick, instead of feeling like Im enjoying a substantial breakfast or snack, I feel like Im drinking juice. Its not the same.
This is why all of my healthy smoothie recipes involve some kind of thickening agent. If youd like to make a smoothie thicker, here are a few tricks:
If you try a few of these tricks and your smoothie is ULTRA thick at the endtoo thick to sip with a strawpour it into a bowl, top it with some granola and fresh fruit, and enjoy it as a strawberry mango smoothie bowl.
For a strawberry mango protein smoothie, add a scoop of your favorite vanilla protein powder. This will thicken the smoothie a tiny bit too.
You May Like: Smoothie Recipes With Almond Milk And Frozen Fruit
Green Breakfast Smoothie With Banana Blueberries Apple Almonds Blackcurrant And Cinnamon
Applesolutely Kalen It!
Nail the day with this detoxifying green breakfast smoothie, paired with blueberries, blackcurrant, chia seeds and cinnamon to up your intake of antioxidants, which can help fight disease-causing free radicals and protect your immunity.
Dairy Free, Vegan, Paleo, Gluten Free
Banana Date Smoothie With Ginger And Cardamom
The Spruce / Nyssa Tanner
Dates add a natural sweetness to smoothies that will provide the flavor you want without spiking your sugar levels. Combined with frozen banana, Greek yogurt, fresh ginger, and a pinch of cardamom, you have a healthy, dessert-worthy drink. If your dates are a little hard, simply soak them in warm water before using.
Recommended Reading: Fruits To Put In Smoothies
Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
PB & Banana smoothie such a classic and so easy to make! And you only need 4 ingredients.
So first into the blender are 2 frozen bananas which I recommend you always have in your freezer not only are they great for smoothies, but they are also great when you are craving some nice cream, then I add 2 tablespoons organic peanut butter powder which is essentially dehydrated peanuts, so you get lots of peanut butter flavor with quite a bit less fat and calories THERE is nothing wrong with the fat and calories from peanut butter. You can easily and happily sub in two tablespoons of peanut butter if you prefer.
I just wanted to give you some fun options to play with! Then you could add one serving of chocolate protein powder if you have it, but since Im making this all with vanilla as the base, Ill add one serving of vanilla protein along with 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder.
Finish with 1 cup of milk and blend it all together. Rich, creamy, and just like a chocolate peanut butter cup but in smoothie form! Its the perfect healthy smoothie for a full boost of morning energy.
Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie Benefits
I often rely on Healthy Breakfast Smoothies to kick-start my day.
I bet youll also find it comforting knowing that youve made major progress with your requisite servings of fruits and veggies first thing in the A.M.
Or, if you are looking for a post-workout smoothie, this peanut butter banana version is one of my favorites.
Its a perfect option because banana smoothies like this recipe are good for you.
- Bananas are high in fiber, potassium, and vitamins B6 and C.
- Peanut butter has protein and healthy fats too .
Generally speaking, with the right ingredients a peanut butter smoothie can be good for weight loss. Smoothies with healthier foods like fruits, Greek yogurt, and peanut butter can be sufficiently filling with better nutrients than other breakfast options.
Recommended Reading: Which Blender Is Best For Smoothies
Why Breakfast Smoothies
- Making healthy breakfast smoothies is the easiest way to achieve a varied intake of fruit and vegetables, which supply essential vitamins and minerals, dietary fibre, antioxidants and other plant-based nutrients
- Eating a variety of fruit and vegetables is important for supporting optimal health and may reduce the risk of certain diseases, including cardiovascular diseases and certain types of cancer
- Using breakast smoothies for weight loss can be effective in supporting a weight loss journey, as smoothies are an easy way to integrate good nutrition into your morning routine which can have positive flow-on effects for the rest of your day
- Making breakfast smoothies for kids and getting them involved in the process is a great way to up their intake of essential nutrients and engage them in healthy eating
- Its easy to make breakfast smoothies vegan or paleo by bledning with nut milk, coconut milk or water
- Because the availability of fresh ingredients depends on the season, you can experiment with different seasonal fruit and superfood blends, meaning healthy breakfasts never get boring
- Blending your breakfast smoothies with a whole food source of healthy fats like nuts, seeds or avocado is an easy way to create a balanced breakfast
- You can cut shopping for ingredients out of the equation by getting a smoothie box from Craft Smoothie delivered to your door
How To Make A Smoothie
Smoothies are perfect for quick breakfasts and healthy snacks because they are so quick and easy to make! You just add all of the smoothie ingredients to your blender and blend until smooth. A high-powered blender, such as a Vitamix, isnt necessary, but if you plan to make smoothies often I think its a worthwhile investment.
Looking for more smoothie recipes? Check out my collection of the Best Smoothie Recipes.
You May Like: How To Make A Delicious Banana Smoothie
What Ingredients Are In The Best Weight Loss Smoothies
Healthy smoothies for weight loss are made with the right blend of weight loss foods that are scientifically proven to decrease body fat. Some of the common ingredients we include in these smoothies for weight loss are:
- Protein powder for weight loss: these powders are low in sugar or other sweeteners, low in calories, and rich in high-quality protein that, in combination with strength exercises, will help build metabolism-boosting muscle mass
- Healthy fats: healthy fats like nut butters, avocado, and MCT oil will help to slow digestion to keep you fuller longer to prevent overeating
- Fiber: consuming fiber-rich ingredients like chia seeds, flaxseeds, hemp seeds, leafy greens, and oats can help prevent spikes in blood sugar that can lead to the storage of carbs as fat
- Low sugar: fruit is the base of all smoothies, and because fruit naturally contains sugar, there’s no need to add extra sweeteners like honey, orange juice, or frozen yogurt that only serve to add empty calories
Best Protein Shake And Smoothie Recipes
Get lean and strong with the ultimate list of protein shakes and protein smoothie recipes. These protein shake recipes take your protein powder to the next level with the addition of healthy, delicious ingredients to help you reach your fitness goals!
Dive into these homemade protein shake recipes that taste like dessert but fuel your muscles and your recovery. With flavors covering everything from luxurious chocolate to tangy orange cream to tropical coconut, these protein drinks help you feel good, work hard, and hit your fitness goals.
Learn how to make a protein shake the most decadent part of your day! With nutritious boosters that add antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, these healthy shakes are great for breakfast, snacks, and pre- or post-workout.
Recommended Reading: Greek Yogurt Smoothie Weight Loss
Do Smoothies Really Provide Energy In The Morning
Yes, a healthy, well-balanced smoothie can provide a real boost of energy in the a.m.! However, if you include sugary ingredients or too much fruit juice in your recipe, then that could have the opposite effect and leave you feeling tired and sluggish.
It all boils down to what ingredients you include in your smoothie. If you make a healthy, balanced smoothie with protein, fiber, and healthy fats, then it will definitely provide you with energy to start your day.
The Secret To Healthy Breakfast Smoothies
The formula for a healthy smoothie needs to have one ingredient of each of these categories:
- healthy carbohydrate
- fiber in the form of fruit and vegetable
Many delicious smoothies are all fruit and thus high in sugar and carbs and not very healthy at all.
On the other hand, many healthy smoothies are all veggies and powdered superfoods and not yummy at all, plus, super expensive.
So how can we achieve the best of both worlds? Healthy AND yummy breakfast smoothies at the same time?
Its much simpler than you think. Just follow the formula and youll nourish your body through and through. No need for expensive superfoods, unless you love them in your smoothies of course 🙂
Read Also: Nearest Place To Get A Smoothie