How To Make It Plant Based / Vegan
You can make this strawberry smoothie plant-based or vegan by doing the following:
- Make our strawberry banana smoothie. Try our Strawberry Banana Smoothie: its vegan and uses only 2 ingredients!
- Substitute non-dairy milk AND vegan yogurt or ½ banana for the yogurt. We like using oat milk or almond milk. Oat milk is usually a little sweeter and creamier so we tend to like that a little more. You could also try coconut milk, which adds a nice coconut essence, or soy milk. Then for the yogurt, use vegan yogurt or another ½ banana.
Do You Have To Add Ice
No, ice cubes are not necessary to make a smoothie, as long as youre using frozen fruits. Replace 1:1 ice cubes to frozen fruit is recommended. The ice will create a smooth, thick, chilly texture, or frothy if only a small amount is used. I like to add both ice cubes and frozen fruit together to create the perfect consistency.
Can You Make A Smoothie Without Liquid
You might now be wondering if you can make a smoothie without liquid at all.
Once again, the answer is YES!
Just follow the same steps as above, but leaving out the water all together.
I went through a phase for awhile where I ONLY made my smoothies without liquid.
I just loved how thick and flavorful they were and I most often went with a super tropical theme!
My pineapple detox smoothie has no liquid at all and tasted like a tropical frosty!
Fresh pineapple, cucumber, and lemon were the water components, which I added to the blender first.
After that, I added in my frozen fruit, ice, and remaining ingredients and blended until thick and creamy!
Don’t Miss: Tropical Smoothie Cafe Employee Benefits
A Good Blender Is Worth It
I got a Blendtec just over 2 years ago, and I can never go back to a normal blender again. Mine tells me how many times Ive used it and Im a few smoothies away from 800 blends! Thats amazing, and it also shows how much I have used it. A good blender will whip you up a thick delicious smoothie with no chunks in about 45 seconds. If you are going to go green on any of your smoothies, a good blender is the key to getting all those healthy leafy greens to blend and have a great texture. I love my high power blender and highly recommend one.
Orange Mango Ginger Smoothie
This smoothie recipe has loads of flavor from fresh ginger and ground turmeric, along with the mango, orange, cucumber, and celery. Since its light on protein, you may want to consider this a snack or experiment with your protein of choice.
Strawberry cheesecake? Yes, please! This decadent smoothie has just 5 good-for-you ingredients to get your day off to a great start.
Read Also: How Many Calories In A Smoothie
Question: My Smoothie Is Too Thin How To Make It Thicker
1) Use frozen ingredients such as frozen bananas, peas and broccoli.
2) Use fresh fruits and vegetables that are more dense, such as avocado and pureed pumpkin
3) Add grains, nuts and oatmeal
4) Use dairy or soy-based yogurts instead of water or milk
Want to know exactly how to do it?
Heres the full story:Its happened to everyone. You accidentally over pour the liquid in your smoothie and youre left with more of a juice than a smoothie.Its happened to everyone. You accidentally over pour the liquid in your smoothie and youre left with more of a juice than a smoothie.If youre of the mindset that you should chew your smoothies, youve got a problem.It might still taste good, but isnt thick enough to be considered a smoothie that you can chew. Or it is simply too runny to be smooth the way you like it.So, what can you do?There are four different ingredient options that are great smoothie thickeners.They can both increase the thickness and creaminess of your smoothie, and can also boost the nutritional value to give you a boost in nutrients, vitamins, and minerals.
What Are Smoothie Bowls
To put it simply, smoothie bowls are exactly what they sound like, thick and delicious smoothies in a bowl. Its really as simple as that. Smoothie bowls are thick enough to be consumed with a spoon, making them easy to top with hearty, mouth-watering ingredients such as fruits, nuts, dried fruits, and seeds. Many people love smoothie bowls because they feel more like a meal than a smoothie in a cup.
Read Also: Can You Put Oats In A Smoothie
The Histories Of Blenders And Food Processors
Many people think that the blender was invented after the food processor as a spin-off. Not so, the blender preceded the food processor.
It was first designed back in 1922 by Stephen Poplawski, a Pole who emigrated to the US in 1894. The first industrial food processor was developed in 1964, but in 1973 when the first domestic processor the Cuisinart was first introduced in North America.
Okay, now lets get back to the main event can you use a food processor to make smoothies?
Is It Healthy To Have A Smoothie For Breakfast
Smoothies can make a healthy breakfast if you have a good balance of ingredients and nutrientsincluding protein, carbs, and healthy fats. Smoothies that heavily rely on veggies over fruit instantly cut down on sugar and increase the fiber content. You also want to avoid adding a lot of fruit juice and sweeteners, like syrups and honey, to limit the sweet stuff. Adding yogurt and protein powder helps make smoothies more filling, so youll stay satisfied longer. Just be sure to choose powders that have little to no added sugar and have zero artificial ingredients.
The liquid bases you use in your smoothie also play a big role. Skip fruit juices, which are packed with sugar and lack protein and fat, and go for low-fat milk or an unsweetened, non-dairy milk alternative, like almond, coconut, or cashew. Some non-dairy milks have less protein than cows milk, but they offer healthy fats to keep you satiated.
You May Like: Smoothie Recipes To Boost Immune System
The Right Smoothie Ratios
Start your smoothie with two mugfuls of a liquid base. This can be milk, or a dairy-free alternative such as soya or almond milk, natural or flavoured yogurt, fruit juice, or for a tropical flavoured smoothie, low-fat coconut milk or coconut water. Its important to add the liquid to your blender before adding the fruit, as this will prevent the blade from getting damaged.
Next, add about three quarters of a mug of your chosen fruit. Banana is a great base flavour for any smoothie, and will give you a lovely creamy texture. Other fruits that work well are berries, mango, peaches, plums, nectarines, grated apple or pear, and melon. You may have to add more fruit or liquid, depending on the type of fruit you choose. Play around until you have a texture you like. Add a squeeze of honey, maple syrup or agave syrup if your smoothie needs it, and finally add a few ice cubes to the blender for a thick and frosty smoothie.
Smoothie combination ideas
The Ultimate Smoothie Bowl Recipes
If you havent hopped on the smoothie bowl bandwagon nows the time. These bowls of goodness turn your average smoothie into a refreshing, vibrant, and colorful meal with room for topping creativity! Choose a base from your favorite smoothie blends, then top it off with nuts, seeds, superfoods, and extra fruit.
- Acai Bowl: This quintessential smoothie bowl is packed with antioxidants and tastes amazing with an array of berries and crunchy toppings.
- Dark Cherry Smoothie Bowl: Come cherry season, this bowl is a must. Its a blend of cherries, banana, coconut water, and topped with cacao nibs and coconut flakes for an indulgent treat.
- Mango Smoothie Bowl: Tropical flavors and sunny vibes are front and center in this recipe. Top it with extra fruit and a sprinkle of granola for added crunch.
- Clean Green Smoothie Bowl: For a veggie-packed meal with a bunch of sneaky greens, look no further than this recipethe ultimate green smoothie bowl.
- Pitaya Smoothie Bowl: Want to feel like youre on vacation in Bali? Pitaya makes for a vibrant smoothie bowl, especially when topped with additional fruits.
If you make any of these delicious smoothie recipes, let me know how it turned out! Id love to hear what you think in the comments below.
Read Also: Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
Differences Between A Blender And A Food Processor
So, before we get into the actual process of making smoothies in a food processor, lets go over exactly what a food processor is. And how is it any different from a blender?
The first difference you will notice is the price. Some blenders, especially those designed solely for making smoothies, are very cheap. This isnt because they are of poor quality. Simply because smoothies dont require a great deal of work.
Food processors have a lot more features. And these features are usually a lot more sophisticated than those on a blender. These features drive up the price of a food processor.
This brings us onto the next difference. Blenders and food processors are designed for different purposes. More specifically, food processors are designed to do more.
Blenders do exactly what they say in the name. They blend things. But food processors can do so much more. This includes chopping and dicing food in different ways. It can also include whisking, kneading dough, and many other functions.
Generally speaking, a blender is designed for liquids. Whereas food processors are designed for solids. But this isnt necessarily always the case. That said, a lot of food processors can be used to make soups. This setting can easily be repurposed for making smoothies.
Berry Blast No Banana Smoothie
Low in sugar and packed with antioxidants, berries are one of the healthiest fruits you can add to your diet. Unfortunately, they can be quite pricey and lacking in quality when out-of-season. The solution? Frozen berries! Picked at the peak of freshness and flash-frozen, they have all the nutrition youd get from in-season berries, for a fraction of the price.
Don’t Miss: Take Me To The Closest Smoothie King
Are You Looking For Even More Smoothies No Worries Weve Got You Covered:
- Clementine Avocado Smoothie. If youve never added avocado to your smoothie before, you are missing out! The flavor is so mild, that you cant taste it, but the texture is dreamy, creamy smooth, and the healthy added fats help keep your fuller longer.
- Cold Buster Smoothie. When youre feeling under the weather and your throat is sore, this smoothie for colds is soothing and nourishing.
- Coffee Smoothie. Get a jolt of caffeine and your breakfast all in one cup! This is packed full of coffee flavor.
- Persimmon Smoothie. Packed full of autumnal flavor, this spiced smoothie is creamy and sweet!
- Spinach and Pear Smoothie. Bright green and fresh in flavor, this smoothie is a perfect light breakfast.
- Sweet Potato Smoothie. Sweet potato in a smoothie? YUP! It tastes like a delicious pie. Youll love it!
- Apple Smoothie. This smoothie is packed full of healthy spinach, but tastes like apple pie!
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie. This pumpkin smoothie is perfect for the weather is still warm but your heart wants fall to show up.
- Dark Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie. This smoothie is rich and dark, and it tastes decadent enough you could sip on it for dessert!
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Smoothie. All the flavors of your favorite sandwich in a tasty smoothie! Pick your favorite jelly to add to this peanut butter smoothie.
- Tart Cherry and Spinach Smoothies. We show serving this cherry smoothie as a light breakfast in a bowl, but you could easily pour it in a glass and sip away!
Freeze The Ingredients Overnight
Frozen fruit and other ingredients come as a special addition to a smoothie. The ice-cold ingredients can save tons of effort and give a quick, easy result. Mango is traditionally frozen it contains small amounts of fats when compared to other types of fruits.
You should then toss the frozen ingredients in the blender for mixing and making a creamy smoothie. Banana has been identified as one of the best-frozen fruits when creating thick, ice cream-like smoothies.
You can as well freeze the liquid ingredients before adding to your smoothies. For example, almond milk or coconut milk can be frozen and then added to the blender with other contents for really healthy smoothies.
Don’t Miss: Best Smoothie At Tropical Smoothie
How To Make A Smoothie Step
Buy It:NutriBullet Blender Combo
Just remember this simple formula: Fruit + Juice + Dairy/Dairy Substitute + Ice = Easy Smoothie Recipe Win.
Follow our Test Kitchen pro tips below to design your own smoothie recipe, then learn how to transform it into a smoothie bowl and how to give it an über-rich and creamy consistency. Sweet!
Three Vegetable Smoothie Recipes
One of my nutrition goals is to make sure to fuel my body with nutritiously dense foods.
One of my favorite ways to get in some quick, easy, and healthy nutrition is with smoothies! I know adding vegetables to smoothies can still be a little taboo for some, so I wanted to create 3 veggie-packed smoothie recipes for beginners.
First of all, I promise you cant taste the veggies, and you wont even know that theyre there.
Read Also: Smoothies For Kids To Make
Cold Brew Chai Breakfast Smoothie Recipe
· 1 Blendtopia Keto Chocolate Chai Smoothie Kit
· 6 oz Cold Brew/Chilled Coffee
· 4 oz Plant-Based Milk
· 2 oz Unsweetened Greek Yogurt
· ½ cup Ice
· Toppings of choice
Blend together, pour into bowl, add a sprinkle of cinnamon, and enjoy!
· 1/2 cup frozen orange sections
· 1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks
· 2 small sections of lemon
· 1 pinch cayenne
· 1 tsp goji berry powder
· 2 tbsp hemp seeds or favorite protein powder
· 10-12 oz of blending liquid
· Toppings of choice
1. Add all ingredients except the blending liquid to your blender.
2. Begin with 10 oz of blending liquid and continue to add until you reach your desired consistency. Using almond milk as your base will yield a rich, creamy texture. Coconut water will bring out the citrus flavors and create a more refreshing & hydrating smoothie. Its all in what youre looking for in your morning smoothie bowl!
3. Pour into a bowl and add your toppings. Coconut flakes and/or fresh strawberries are some favorite toppings with this smoothie bowl recipe.
The Reason The Food Processor Wins Out
The food processor may not be the king when making smoothies, though it does a princely job. But with all those tasks listed above , it aces it.
For a start, the blade rotates more slowly than that of a blender. Its S-shape is ideal for slicing and cutting at lower speeds.
Food processors also have more accessories that you can bring into action for various tasks, and the feeder funnel permits you to add bits and pieces as and when required, which you can safely and cleanly push down towards the blade.
You May Like: What Do You Need For A Strawberry Banana Smoothie
How To Measure Smoothie Ingredients
I too am guilty of looking at a smoothie recipe and then throwing a bit of everything into the pitcher. I could end up with a 12 ounce breakfast or a 24 ounce drink-me-all-day. Sometimes though, its nice to know exactly how much smoothie Im going to end up making.
Maybe you are counting calories. Perhaps you dont want to end up with leftovers. Maybe you never make enough for your kids to share. No matter your reason, sometimes its just makes life easier to know.
How do I do this without dirtying a pile of measuring cups and spoons? A kitchen scale!
Simply place the pitcher on your scale and hit the tare button to zero it out. Add the ingredients, pressing tare between each one, to measure exactly how much goes into the pitcher. Best of all you do it without dirtying a single measuring utensil.
Expert Tips And Tricks
- Skip the bananas. An avocado can be substituted for a banana along with a tablespoon or two of sweetener.
- Go for the goat yogurt. If youre slightly lactose intolerant, goats milk yogurt is a wonderful alternative that tastes very similar to cows milk yogurt.
- Add and adjust. Start by adding a little bit of optional ingredients and then taste after each addition to make sure you still like the flavor!
- Sweeten it last. Youd be surprised how sweet fruit can be! Wait until the end to stir in any additional sweeteners.
- Pay attention to the blade. You want to add your softer ingredients closer to the blade and the harder ingredients further away from the blade for easier blending.
You May Like: The Smoothie Diet 21 Day Rapid Weight Loss Program
Healthy No Banana Smoothies
My 8 Simple Smoothies You Should Know How to Make post is the second most popular post ever on Wholefullyand for good reason! Those simple smoothies are a great primer to smoothie-making. They use simple ingredients that you recognize and the smoothies are all delicious!
But the absolutely number one negative comment I get on that post is from banana-haters why do they all have to use bananas? Well, I love the sweetness and creaminess a frozen banana adds to a smoothie, but I HEARD you, friends. And today, weve got a whole new set of eight smoothies for youand this time, there isnt a single banana in sight!
Even better than that, all the smoothies are dairy-free and contain no added sugarmaking them paleo and vegan-friendly.
Beyond using a good blender, Ive discovered a few tricks for making smoothies sweet and creamy without the use of diary or bananas, and Ive put them into these recipes down below. I hope you love them! Lets dig in.